Nazem Kadri Vs. Tom Wilson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player would you want on your team?

• Total voters

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
People still hate Kadri, trust me.

That's fine, and I understand.

What I don't understand is what has happened between that poll (May 2019, was still active as of June 13th, 2019) and now (July 2019) for the results to be completely flipped?

Reactions: uncleben

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What about when Tavares was voted as a top 10 C in the NHL and then, with literally no games played since then, and after he signed with the Leafs, he was voted around 15 lol

Do you have evidence of this?

Cause I can bring up plenty of polls that went the other way. Marleau with 50% of HF calling him a Hall of Famer, Tavares winning polls against players that he was losing to before, etc.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Do you have evidence of this?

Cause I can bring up plenty of polls that went the other way. Marleau with 50% of HF calling him a Hall of Famer, Tavares winning polls against players that he was losing to before, etc.

There was one single, solitary poll taken when Tavares was like 2nd in league scoring at the halfway point with the Islanders before disappearing the second half where he was picked as the 4th or 5th best center that they keep referencing. I believe a whopping 61 people voted for Tavares in that poll, and that's now considered proof that the entire HF voted that way (by the way, very few Leaf fans voted for Tavares in that poll. The vast majority voted for Matthews).

Reactions: cgf

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There was one single, solitary poll taken when Tavares was like 2nd in league scoring at the halfway point with the Islanders before disappearing the second half where he was picked as the 4th or 5th best center that they keep referencing. I believe a whopping 61 people voted for Tavares in that poll, and that's now considered proof that the entire HF voted that way (by the way, very few Leaf fans voted for Tavares in that poll. The vast majority voted for Matthews).

Any in-season poll is completely invalid when the player was crushing it at the time of the poll and then fell off. That much should be obvious.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Very interesting. First time I’ve actually seen this happen.

Not sure how often it happens either, only reason I remembered this poll was because of how recent the other one was conducted. The last post in the other thread was not even a month ago.

I remember thinking to myself at the time how in the world could someone take Tom Wilson over a low end 2C on a great contract.

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not sure how often it happens either, only reason I remembered this poll was because of how recent the other one was conducted. The last post in the other thread was not even a month ago.

I remember thinking to myself at the time how in the world could someone take Tom Wilson over a low end 2C on a great contract.

Yes, I conducted this one with the purpose of comparing it to the result of the last one.

I thought the same thing during the last poll, but after having droves of fans seriously tell me that they prefer Tom Wilson to Tomas Hertl, I’ve given up on trying to understand this forum’s obsession with Tom Wilson.

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Based on skill and contract, Kadri is probably the smarter choice.

However I do believe that Wilson is the type of player that the Leafs need desperately.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Wow Kadri is only 28 that makes me feel less old

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes, I conducted this one with the purpose of comparing it to the result of the last one.

I thought the same thing during the last poll, but after having droves of fans seriously tell me that they prefer Tom Wilson to Tomas Hertl, I’ve given up on trying to understand this forum’s obsession with Tom Wilson.

Hertl is better at playing hockey, but I can understand why some would prefer Wilson for specific teams...like if you already had really good two-way forwards and skill. Wilson's a bit of a unicorn with his physical presence & intimidation, so I'd get preferring him for a team like that...a team like the Leafs.

It's not super logical but one unicorn can really change the complexion of an entire team with the tone they set and the way that they impact the opposition, even if they're not the best of hockey players.

As an avs fan, I've watched this play out for us with Zads; another unicorn in today's game with his mobility & physicality. When Zads is on the ice & focused, we see opposing teams pull up & go for a change on a pucks that they would go flying after when Zads is out; obviously not on every shift, but there's a change that happens when they have to think about getting wrecked by him. Big Nik still isn't a reliable top 4 guy and even when playing well he has his brainfarts, as Sharks fans got to see up close, but his presence alone changes our entire dynamic...and it's not like we didn't have some big boys between MacK, Landy, Mikko, Soda, Wilson, EJ & Cole; even without Zads.

I'm not a big intimidation & truculence guy, but there's a few players who can change the way that opposing teams play just by stepping onto the ice, and Wilson is one of those monsters. So that has to be a factor in evaluating him that makes choosing between him and a better hockey player, entirely situation specific.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Wilson, and it's very close. Team needs would dictate who actually got picked if a team had their choice.

I am a bit concerned about Willy though. His physical play has dropped off since his early season suspension to start 18-19.

It's great that he's not injuring guys anymore, but I think he's less intimidating than he used to be. The Caps could have used the old unchained Wilson against Carolina.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Funny to see Kadri winning this poll.

Just months ago (May 2019) when Kadri was a Maple Leaf he was smashed by Wilson in this exact comparison.

Nazem Kadri or Tom Wilson, which player would want if you had to choose?

b209db0b589969075f5379495cc22b2e.jpg

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

So you actually set up this poll so Wilson would still win and you could declare, as you are wont to do, "there is no anti-Leaf bias" on hfboards? Now that it has seemingly proven the exact opposite, in the most obvious possible example too, no games played since the last one, I suspect you'll draw no conclusions from it? You're infuriating man, if Kadri lost the way you planned you would bring this up from now until the end of time.

P.S. Cute that you called your shot in the first poll too. "I want someone to redo this if Kadri gets traded because he'll still get 30% of the vote."

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So you actually set up this poll so Wilson would still win and you could declare, as you are wont to do, "there is no anti-Leaf bias" on hfboards? Now that it has seemingly proven the exact opposite, in the most obvious possible example too, no games played since the last one, I suspect you'll draw no conclusions from it? You're infuriating man, if Kadri lost the way you planned you would bring this up from now until the end of time.

P.S. Cute that you called your shot in the first poll too. "I want someone to redo this if Kadri gets traded because he'll still get 30% of the vote."

If I see more polls like this, I will actually say there is an anti-Leafs bias. However, this is just one, and it doesn’t match the trend of other polls I’ve seen. But it certainly does lend credence to the possibility.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
If I see more polls like this, I will actually say there is an anti-Leafs bias. However, this is just one, and it doesn’t match the trend of other polls I’ve seen. But it certainly does lend credence to the possibility.

Like I said, what would you have done if it got the result you wanted? What a load of crap. You set this test up to prove your hypothesis and it blew up in your face. I'm not scouring around the, quite frankly difficult to maneuver, search tools to dig up and compare old threads, I lack your singular passion for Leaf polls. You were told this was the case and you set up an experiment in circumstances you decided and you lost, time to find a new crusade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad