OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2024 (Paris Olympics 2024 as well)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Wow that's a lot of deep dive detail. Thanks
I know you didn't ask for it, so sorry to you or anyone else if there was some mansplaining there. I know a lot of people here aren't exactly amateurs at sportsball talk.

I had nothing else to do sitting on an exercise bike than to type as train of thought left the station.

Reactions: Neil Racki

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I know you didn't ask for it, so sorry to you or anyone else if there was some mansplaining there. I know a lot of people here aren't exactly amateurs at sportsball talk.

I had nothing else to do sitting on an exercise bike than to type as train of thought left the station.
No worries or apologies, m8. Good info. I don't pay nearly that level of attention to those things.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
God damned Orioles. f***ing offense cannot do DICK.

Gonna be 10th straight post season loss. 5 under Hyde. Mostly all we’re home games!!!

He’s gonna get fired. And maybe he should.

FAKKK…..!!!

Yeah this stinks. Reeks of those Caps teams that could light up the regular season then fell to shit when it mattered.

Plate discipline/approach is trash.

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Was at the O's game. Yeah, it was a tough loss. I actually thought it would be their pitching that failed them, not their hitting. But in their defense too, the KC starters they faced are damn good. Ragans is likely in the top 3 for the Cy Young this year, and Lugo throws like 9 different pitches. By Fangraphs WAR, they were the 2nd and 3rd best pitchers in the AL this year.

Witt is a superstar, and as much as I love Adley, I said in 2019 and I'll say again now, the O's should have drafted Witt.

I don't think Hyde should be fired.

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Whys it gotta be to the f***ing Royals ... I hate those f***s
I laugh because I was actually at the game with two guys from KC (wearing Royals jerseys) and a common theme from other Orioles fans was essentially "how can anyone hate the Royals or KC, they're one of the most inoffensive teams/cities in the country, they just sort of exist".

Of course those comments were also followed with 'except the Chiefs, hate those guys.'

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Was at the O's game. Yeah, it was a tough loss. I actually thought it would be their pitching that failed them, not their hitting. But in their defense too, the KC starters they faced are damn good. Ragans is likely in the top 3 for the Cy Young this year, and Lugo throws like 9 different pitches. By Fangraphs WAR, they were the 2nd and 3rd best pitchers in the AL this year.

Witt is a superstar, and as much as I love Adley, I said in 2019 and I'll say again now, the O's should have drafted Witt.

I don't think Hyde should be fired.

I've been wavering on Hyde. I've come to the conclusion that their regular season batting successes indicate the problem isn't hitting coaches or probably even the manager himself, it's likely something for the sports psychologists.

You don't bring in a new manager to maybe make the playoffs again and then somehow magically get them to hit in the postseason the way they did for most of the regular season. That's something separate.

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I've been wavering on Hyde. I've come to the conclusion that their regular season batting successes indicate the problem isn't hitting coaches or probably even the manager himself, it's likely something for the sports psychologists.

You don't bring in a new manager to maybe make the playoffs again and then somehow magically get them to hit in the postseason the way they did for most of the regular season. That's something separate.
Generally agree. One can quibble with a few of Hyde's in-game tactical moves, but even the best managers ever have made major mistakes on that front in their careers. Hindsight is always 20/20.

My personal feeling is this: The organization has designed a strategy for their hitters to accept increased strikeouts in favor of maximum damage when swinging, emphasizing launch angle and speed off the bat for the home run potential. Players are taught to focus on the pitches they can do the most damage on. But with good opposing pitching - which the Royals had in spades - those 'vulnerable' pitches can be few and far between. They need to be more adaptable to using a 'small ball' approach that may be necessary in certain games/situations.

When they had the bases loaded with no outs last night, each of Santander, Cowser and Rutschman were trying to hit the ball out for the grand slam, instead of (to use the old phrasing) "shortening up on the bat" and just trying to make what I'll term 50th percentile contact instead 90% percentile.

The one thing I'll criticize Hyde for last night is leaving Cowser in in that situation instead of pinch hitting for him. Cowser is terrible against lefties, he's well below average offensively against them. When he was coming up I told my friends that was a mistake to let him hit and it panned out that way. He looked like a fool in that at bat.

They are paying for the Angelos family being cheap and getting no pitching last year. The starters were ruined.
To be fair, their starters (and bullpen for that matter) weren't the problem the last 2 days. Only giving up 3 runs over 2 games is pretty damn good, it should have been good enough to win both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad