Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'd move Saros ++ and possibly another + for Zegras and Gibson in a heart beat.

Go big or go home. All you negative Nancy's almost got me down. Then the tequila started kicking in and I finally feel like our GM is going to do something out of character for the benefit of this team. We'll see if I'm right over the next couple of day.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I'd move Saros ++ and possibly another + for Zegras and Gibson in a heart beat.

Go big or go home. All you negative Nancy's almost got me down. Then the tequila started kicking in and I finally feel like our GM is going to do something out of character for the benefit of this team. We'll see if I'm right over the next couple of day.
Hopefully your hangover won’t prevent you from enjoying the big trade :laugh:

hockey diva

Lady Healer of Rohan
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Sadly, I think it will be the same ole mediocre crap we’ve gotten for the last decade. A true #1 C only comes via the draft and we aren’t bad enough to draft that high. Meanwhile, we are going to toss overboard guys who have some ability but have been jerked around. It’s like Trotz wants to get rid of as many of Poile’s picks as possible.

Reactions: weeze and Armourboy

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Sadly, I think it will be the same ole mediocre crap we’ve gotten for the last decade. A true #1 C only comes via the draft and we aren’t bad enough to draft that high. Meanwhile, we are going to toss overboard guys who have some ability but have been jerked around. It’s like Trotz wants to get rid of as many of Poile’s picks as possible.
I don't think so. He's got two goalies, one of which can moved, to fill holes elsewhere.

I've also never seen so much chatter about us being in on so many players. Hopefully some of it pans out. I think BT saw what Florida did and while it's nice to build from the draft, it's just not realistic in this day and age. Florida had 3 players in the every day lineup they drafted, 3!!! That's insane. Move players, move picks, get better players. Sign free agents. Get the pieces you want. Go after big fish in trades. Get the best player in the trade too while you're at it.

Imagine for a moment where you trade for Marner, add Stamkos via FA and land a solid D-man via FA. How different would this team look? And if it means moving Saros for it, as Powers Booth said in Tombstone, well bye.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I don't think so. He's got two goalies, one of which can moved, to fill holes elsewhere.

I've also never seen so much chatter about us being in on so many players. Hopefully some of it pans out. I think BT saw what Florida did and while it's nice to build from the draft, it's just not realistic in this day and age. Florida had 3 players in the every day lineup they drafted, 3!!! That's insane. Move players, move picks, get better players. Sign free agents. Get the pieces you want. Go after big fish in trades. Get the best player in the trade too while you're at it.

Imagine for a moment where you trade for Marner, add Stamkos via FA and land a solid D-man via FA. How different would this team look? And if it means moving Saros for it, as Powers Booth said in Tombstone, well bye.
Make the team better by any means necessary.

It’s the crest on the front that matters, not the nameplate on the back.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Yeah but 2 of them were top 5 picks, one of which was their 1C and that's the one you very very rarely see in a trade or Free Agency.

Reactions: hockey diva

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, my prediction is that pretty much nothing significant will happen. We'll sign one of the big ticket UFA forwards and one of the defensemen as well as a depth defenseman as well. Maybe a veteran depth forward as well.

--

On another note, one name I've been wondering is Jacob Trouba. He seems to be on the outs from NY and could be had for cheap, or even with NYR paying us to take him.

Big, tough-as-nails defenseman with a high cap hit but only for two years. Could be a good stop-gap solution instead of attaching ourselves to Skjei or Pesce for 6-7 years.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
To be fair poile was getting rid of his picks way before trotz was

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trotz interested in Stamkos....
Along with every GM with capspace

Good thing is McDonagh could put in a good word. Bad thing is.... i really doubt Stamkos leaves Tampa but would i ever love that signing

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Like others have said I just can’t see Stamkos happening. Just seems like if it’s not Tampa he’d go to a team closer to contending.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Like I've said, I don't even want us to sign Stamkos. At this point of his career, he's looking for a cozy place to go get his retirement money like his buddy Killorn did a year ago.

He's also just another excuse for Trotz and co. to keep the kids down and "overcook" them. This is a team that should be figuring out who's a core part of this team in the future and not just kicking the can down the road every freaking summer by signing a bunch of vets.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think its much more likely Stamkos takes whatever money is left over than go somewhere else. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see him as the Cup chasing type.
I’d say that’s the most likely path but if he does leave I just don’t really see why he would want to come here in particular.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think its much more likely Stamkos takes whatever money is left over than go somewhere else. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see him as the Cup chasing type.
Agree. And as far as mentoring goes, at some point you need to have some kids in the lineup TO MENTOR. Stammer would ultimately just be another player to clog the kids up.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Like I've said, I don't even want us to sign Stamkos. At this point of his career, he's looking for a cozy place to go get his retirement money like his buddy Killorn did a year ago.

He's also just another excuse for Trotz and co. to keep the kids down and "overcook" them. This is a team that should be figuring out who's a core part of this team in the future and not just kicking the can down the road every freaking summer by signing a bunch of vets.
The thing is rightly or wrongly given how we’ve approached player development I don’t really see who we’re going to be graduating from the AHL on the offensive end this year other than Parsinnen. I’d like to see Tomasino but I don’t think he’s magically going to become what Brunette wants at this point and I suspect he’s gone either by trade or waivers. L’Hereux I think is ready but Trotz and Taylor have both made comments that make it seem like he’ll be in the AHL to start the season next year. Afanasyev is gone now. Then it’s Kemell and Svechkov who are almost certainly going to start in the AHL. Defensively Stastney should be full time and maybe Del Gaizo or Wilsby get a chance out of camp.

If we’re going to ice a mostly veteran roster which seems likely I’d at least like those vets to be good and someone like Stamkos that wouldn’t require a super long contract would be ideal. Like I said I don’t think he’d sign here but I’d be happy with that move.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

I fully agree with you, but I've given up on this being what happens. Trotz can pay lip service to the youth movement all he wants, it's clear he wants to build a team full of vets that will contend for a playoff spot.

The kids will have to get their chances when the injury bug hits (unless we get lucky like last year and it never does). I expect there to be, max, one rookie forward and one rookie Dman out of camp next year.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Well, I do see us going after Pesce or Zadorov (but not getting both), trading Tomasino (but we won't get anything useful for him), and pressboxing Fabbro.

But after failing to get 2 good D, and after Carrier sees that nobody else loves him as much as we do, we'll just end up taking Carrier back.

In goal, Lankinen won't get a multi-year offer from anybody, so he'll just come back here on a 1-year deal.

Past that, we'll end up picking up a couple of mediocre forwards like Zucker or Foegele, or more glorious veteran depth forwards like Clutterbuck or Martin.

We'll trade our 2024 4th and 7th round draft picks for 2025 picks.

I am not optimistic. :help:
Have you been talking to GMBT again! Sounds just like the Preds! :loony:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I fully agree with you, but I've given up on this being what happens. Trotz can pay lip service to the youth movement all he wants, it's clear he wants to build a team full of vets that will contend for a playoff spot.

The kids will have to get their chances when the injury bug hits (unless we get lucky like last year and it never does). I expect there to be, max, one rookie forward and one rookie Dman out of camp next year.
I suspect Del Gaizo would probably clear waivers, a la Carrier back in the day, he hasn't really made that much of a name for himself prospect-wise. I'm not sure Parssinen would clear waivers, however, so I do expect Parssinen on the Preds.

As others have said, I also expect Tomasino to be gone before camp. Even if it's just for a 2026 4th round pick, which is basically about the value we got back for Afanaseyev, who was probably a better AHL player last season than Tomasino, and had more of the size and physical elements that our team might usually prefer.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Afanaseyev was a better potential fit in a 4th line role than Tomasino and thus made some sense.

Tomasino is as good as gone, given Brunette's comments. I wish him well and hope his next team works with him and gives him a chance to really show that shooter's touch we know he has.

I also think Fabbro is gone. I think he could still have enough value with other GMs to bring back a 30+ year old journeyman level defenseman to replace McDonagh in the lineup.

I don't expect to see but maybe 1 rookie make the team. There will be waiver wire claims out there that can be made to pick up "guys that earned it" by getting some token experience on another team's roster.

PS: In short, a plan to get older and tread some water.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Afanaseyev was a better potential fit in a 4th line role than Tomasino and thus made some sense.

Tomasino is as good as gone, given Brunette's comments. I wish him well and hope his next team works with him and gives him a chance to really show that shooter's touch we know he has.

I also think Fabbro is gone. I think he could still have enough value with other GMs to bring back a 30+ year old journeyman level defenseman to replace McDonagh in the lineup.

I don't expect to see but maybe 1 rookie make the team. There will be waiver wire claims out there that can be made to pick up "guys that earned it" by getting some token experience on another team's roster.

PS: In short, a plan to get older and tread some water.
That's more or less where I am. I think he signs a bunch of old dudes, does some more jawing about prospects that isn't going to happen and we basically roll out an old ass bubble team.

Meanwhile he talks about the future and we scratch our heads cause what he does and what he says don't match up.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Alright so here are some quick hits.

I believe Cody Glass is being shopped. Not sure if anyone will bite, but I don't believe he will be a Pred going into next year.

I believe Stephenson is the backup plan to Stamkos. There's smoke there.

Montour is a guy I really wonder about. Played for HCAB in Florida and fits in to his system. I'm hearing he won't be back in Florida and is looking for north of $6M. Would be sick to have Josi on the first pair and Montour on the second pair.

I really think Saros is back for 6-8 years with a AAV of $8M.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Askarov and Tomasino packed together in a deal. I haven't heard anything about that, but I really do feel like it could happen. Most likely to move up in the draft and get a true game changer up front.

Zucker is most likely coming back. No idea what the AAV will be.

I think there is a lot of smoke around Skeji.

Going to guess next year will be.

Forsberg O'Reilly Nyquist
Stephenson Novak Evangelista
Janko Sissons Zucker
Smith Parssinen McCarron

Josi Fabbro
Skeji Montour
Statsney Schenn
Lauzon

Saros
X

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
All of the above of course is subject to change. All I can say is my usual source says there a lot of chatter around the Preds right now and they are being aggressive on a lot of different fronts.

I do not believe we are going to be seeing anything that is standing pat.

Also, I think Brunnette is wanting a draft pool he picks with Trotz and there will be a rearranging of the prospect pool with trades like we've seen with Detroit.

I also wonder about Tyler Myers being a fit with Fabbro shipping out but I haven't heard anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: triggrman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad