Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
And I'd be willing to pay it. But we are talking about a massive caphit on a player that misses significant time yearly. Nearly 9 million in cap wrapped up in someone that has missed as much time as he has over the past 4 seasons isn't something I'd be willing to throw alot of resources at. Take 9 million a shake it at some UFAs like Reinhart
Not to mention that, rightly or wrongly, there's long been questions about his commitment and consistency (obviously less so on the offensive end) and he's also now going through player assistance (which I applaud him for seeking out) in addition to the injury question marks. It would floor me to have bought out Duchene and dumped Johansen just to turn around and trade for Laine a season later.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What I find personally annoying is that up until last season's results I would have had the perfect answer for a Laine trade right about now. Fabbro + Nyquist. Done. But then Nyquist had to go on that ludicrously insane career year of career years and so obviously there's no way that would even remotely fly. Harrumph. :( ;)
Wouldn't think Nyquist would be much interest due to his age in CBus. Personally see him as a major deadline piece if things go sideways. If he manages to have anywhere near the season he had last year, we should be able to get quite the return

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wouldn't think Nyquist would be much interest due to his age in CBus. Personally see him as a major deadline piece if things go sideways. If he manages to have anywhere near the season he had last year, we should be able to get quite the return
He's capable, he's not hopeless defensively, and he was an alternate captain while he was here. We need Skilled Mentors up here.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He's capable, he's not hopeless defensively, and he was an alternate captain while he was here. We need Skilled Mentors up here.
Makes sense then. Just never thought he would be interest to a younger team but I guess he would fill much the same role there as he does here.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Makes sense then. Just never thought he would be interest to a younger team but I guess he would fill much the same role there as he does here.
Pretty much exactly. Which is why I was earlier describing Nashville as not really having Skilled Mentors to spare - they're needed there as well as here.

It's annoying. On the one hand, both of my teams needing the same sorts of things makes it a lot easier to do research. On the other hand, I can't daydream about trades that improve them both simultaneously. :(

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
And I'd be willing to pay it. But we are talking about a massive caphit on a player that misses significant time yearly. Nearly 9 million in cap wrapped up in someone that has missed as much time as he has over the past 4 seasons isn't something I'd be willing to throw alot of resources at. Take 9 million a shake it at some UFAs like Reinhart
Yeah it definitely depends on what else we are able to do. While I too would prefer Reinhart or someone of that ilk I don't think we are really that appealing of a destination for the top free agents as things stand. So if we get through free agency and have a bunch of cap space left over (which is in my opinion fairly likely) then I think he'd be someone to consider. The cap hit is high but it's not long so if it doesn't work out and the acquisition cost is fairly low there isn't too much risk really.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What do we have to lose if we try with him, though?

We miss the chance to re-sign Zucker?
We have room for LOTS of UFAs. I would be trying for 2 of the top D out there, say $6M each to Pesce and Zadorov. That's the biggest need. Then I'd also be pursuing Reinhart/Guentzel (but without serious hope), and the next tier down of UFA forwards in Marchessault, Tarasenko, Teravainen, Lindholm, and Stephenson, then a few in the next tier down from that - which might be where Zucker would come in. *THEN* if enough of that failed that I still had $10M of Cap available... ok, then I'd take Laine, Plan D.

There are enough teams around with Cap however that Columbus would probably find a more interested taker, sooner. I'm not sure they'd get a better offer than Tomasino+3rd (which I roughly equate to "nothing"), because not a lot of teams probably want to pay the guy $9.1M or take the $8.7M Cap hit, even for 2 years, even so. Money is real to teams, even when the Cap has gone up like it has. Or more likely, they'd have their own "undesirable" Cap player they'd like to send back to CBus to help offset, which may or may not be a player that CBus has any interest in.

I'm planning to dump Glass in my roster anyway, for example... if Columbus was willing to take him back along with anything else that is deemed useless to us (includes Tomasino, later draft picks) then that would help. Glass, Fabbro, Tomasino... any of those guys are on the outs anyway, so in that category they would just help clear Cap space for Laine.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Just to illustrate how much room we have... we're pretty close to being able to just throw in Laine even with some other gaudy UFA signings... shave one of them by $1M or send Jankowski or L'Heureux to Milwaukee and the roster below would fit...

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Marchessault (UFA - $6M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Laine ($8.7M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Novak ($3.5M) - - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M) / Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Pesce (UFA - $6M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Zadorov (UFA - $6M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Schenn ($2.75M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $88.34243M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $0.34243M

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We have room for LOTS of UFAs. I would be trying for 2 of the top D out there, say $6M each to Pesce and Zadorov. That's the biggest need. Then I'd also be pursuing Reinhart/Guentzel (but without serious hope), and the next tier down of UFA forwards in Marchessault, Tarasenko, Teravainen, Lindholm, and Stephenson, then a few in the next tier down from that - which might be where Zucker would come in. *THEN* if enough of that failed that I still had $10M of Cap available... ok, then I'd take Laine, Plan D.

There are enough teams around with Cap however that Columbus would probably find a more interested taker, sooner. I'm not sure they'd get a better offer than Tomasino+3rd (which I roughly equate to "nothing"), because not a lot of teams probably want to pay the guy $9.1M or take the $8.7M Cap hit, even for 2 years, even so. Money is real to teams, even when the Cap has gone up like it has. Or more likely, they'd have their own "undesirable" Cap player they'd like to send back to CBus to help offset, which may or may not be a player that CBus has any interest in.

I'm planning to dump Glass in my roster anyway, for example... if Columbus was willing to take him back along with anything else that is deemed useless to us (includes Tomasino, later draft picks) then that would help. Glass, Fabbro, Tomasino... any of those guys are on the outs anyway, so in that category they would just help clear Cap space for Laine.
I get the impression you're still thinking of Laine as a near-valueless cap dump. I'm not saying he's someone the Preds should push hard for, but it's still exasperating to see considering that he's been fantastic the last two healthy seasons.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get the impression you're still thinking of Laine as a near-valueless cap dump. I'm not saying he's someone the Preds should push hard for, but it's still exasperating to see considering that he's been fantastic the last two healthy seasons.
Sorry but no one is going to give you anything of value for a guy that costs 9 million a season, has a ton of question marks about his commitment to playing, health, and just hit the players assistance program. If he was making 4.5, yeah people will take that gamble, but there are a whole host of guys you can give 9 million too that is likely to give you more production and don't come with those concerns.

He bailed on Winnipeg, now he is bailing on Columbus. The fact you think you should get value for him is astounding. Hell we couldn't get anything for Duchene, and he plays most of the time and makes less money.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sorry but no one is going to give you anything of value for a guy that costs 9 million a season, has a ton of question marks about his commitment to playing, health, and just hit the players assistance program. If he was making 4.5, yeah people will take that gamble, but there are a whole host of guys you can give 9 million too that is likely to give you more production and don't come with those concerns.

He bailed on Winnipeg, now he is bailing on Columbus. The fact you think you should get value for him is astounding. Hell we couldn't get anything for Duchene, and he plays most of the time and makes less money.
Nichushkin is a better player on a better AAV contract and nobody is giving up anything to take him on, granted he is on double-secret probation now and there's presumably a much bigger risk. Laine also has a 10 team M-NTC, so by the time you eliminate the teams that won't take a flier on him, the ones that can't afford his cap hit, and the ones he puts in his NTC, the trade partner list is going to be pretty small.

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yes that is exactly what I would consider him.

At least from the POV of the Preds. And probably a majority of other NHL teams also.

But fortunately for Columbus there is a lot of Cap space out there this off-season, so there may still be enough teams interested that he can draw a positive return, particularly if there is a fit with Cap coming back.

Reactions: Armourboy

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I guess I missed the news about Hinote. Hopefully Taylor is headed here. Or will we just roll with two assistants?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sorry but no one is going to give you anything of value for a guy that costs 9 million a season, has a ton of question marks about his commitment to playing
Those question marks literally do not exist. Seriously. They don't exist. If anything, he tries too hard.
, health,
That one's legit.
and just hit the players assistance program. If he was making 4.5, yeah people will take that gamble, but there are a whole host of guys you can give 9 million too that is likely to give you more production and don't come with those concerns.
More production than a point per game?
He bailed on Winnipeg, now he is bailing on Columbus.
This is an unfair characterization.
The fact you think you should get value for him is astounding. Hell we couldn't get anything for Duchene, and he plays most of the time and makes less money.
He also had far more term left on his contract and wasn't anywhere near point-per-game on his way out; that was the blocking issue. Laine's only got two years left and is thus within experimental reach. I don't think it's a good idea for the Predators - no good reason to pay to take on that risk - but he's not valueless.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Just to illustrate how much room we have... we're pretty close to being able to just throw in Laine even with some other gaudy UFA signings... shave one of them by $1M or send Jankowski or L'Heureux to Milwaukee and the roster below would fit...

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Marchessault (UFA - $6M) - (RFA - $0.775M) - Laine ($8.7M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Novak ($3.5M) - - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M) / Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Pesce (UFA - $6M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Zadorov (UFA - $6M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Schenn ($2.75M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $88.34243M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $0.34243M
I like the defense. I think pesce and zadarov is exactly who we should target. I like the forward group minus Laine. Big if but if stamkos does test free agency I’d rather throw that much at him rather than Laine. Stammer actually can play center and he’s only missed 5 games total the last 3 years.
Forsberg orielly nyquist
Marchessault stamkos Evangelista
L'Heureux Parssinen Tomasino
Afanseyev Sissons Novak

Only thing I would switch with the d would be fabbro over schenn but I’m not a big fan of schenn at all. The bottom 6 could be interchangeable as well

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not to mention that, rightly or wrongly, there's long been questions about his commitment and consistency (obviously less so on the offensive end) and he's also now going through player assistance (which I applaud him for seeking out) in addition to the injury question marks. It would floor me to have bought out Duchene and dumped Johansen just to turn around and trade for Laine a season later.
Laine has actually improved at this department over the years. I mean, he wanted to transition to center to have more impact on the game. Granted, that experiment went to heck but it shows how he has grown as a player and as a person, too.

Also, people need to keep in mind that Laine's contract only runs for two more years. It's not like he's an 8-year commitment, a life sentence. I think ultimately that's a much "safer" route than signing a 33-year-old Marchsessault for 6 years.

Reactions: Gh24 and Viqsi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Those question marks literally do not exist. Seriously. They don't exist. If anything, he tries too hard.

That one's legit.

More production than a point per game?

This is an unfair characterization.

He also had far more term left on his contract and wasn't anywhere near point-per-game on his way out; that was the blocking issue. Laine's only got two years left and is thus within experimental reach. I don't think it's a good idea for the Predators - no good reason to pay to take on that risk - but he's not valueless.
Not the narrative around the league and a PPG only means something if you can actually play in the games. I have no desire to pay 9 million for a 50pt player because he can't stay in the lineup.

At this point he is a guy with a name that can't stay healthy and has problems, attitude or otherwise . Whether you like the characterization or not he wanted out of Winnipeg and now he wants out of Columbus.

Maybe I do it for free, but I'd balk at the notion all day long if Columbus wanted anything more than a pack of gum and a bag of pucks.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess I missed the news about Hinote. Hopefully Taylor is headed here. Or will we just roll with two assistants?
I think it would make sense to promote Taylor into that spot. I don't know how many cooks is too many, Richards has already been an NHL head coach and has a huge amount of experience, even though he's not "Brunette's Guy" like MacKenzie is. I don't know how many coaches you really need, but lots of teams seem to go with 4 these days.

And if we do have Afanaseyev, Tomasino, Parssinen, Stastney, Del Gaizo all coming up at once... having Taylor around as somebody who is familiar with them (and with several others on our roster) may help ease their transition and full integration into the lineup?

Anyway, I think Taylor has more than earned the promotion. Whether he prefers to be an NHL assistant or carry on as AHL head coach, I would leave that decision 100% up to him, but the offer should be on the table.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Laine has actually improved at this department over the years. I mean, he wanted to transition to center to have more impact on the game. Granted, that experiment went to heck but it shows how he has grown as a player and as a person, too.

Also, people need to keep in mind that Laine's contract only runs for two more years. It's not like he's an 8-year commitment, a life sentence. I think ultimately that's a much "safer" route than signing a 33-year-old Marchsessault for 6 years.
I just think Laine has too many "risk factors" associated with him. I'd rather have a guy I know I can count on like Marchessault.

Obviously we would not be signing Marchessault for 6 years, however, so that's not on the table - if the market gives him 6, that's fine, but we won't. So we can cross that worry off our list. I'd take him for 4 max. If he gets more, good for him. He's just one example though.

I don't really expect any of those big name guys like Marner, Rantanen, and Draisatl to hit free agency next summer. But I would hate to have to pass one up if they did just because we gambled on Laine. Of course, you could say this about any big expenditures we make on free agents too, But if we spend all our Cap this year, plus have Nyquist and Johansen coming off the books next year and another Cap riser, we'd potentially be right hovering on the edge of being able to chase a big name like them, such that even the few extra million Laine represents could jeopardize that. It probably won't ever be possible to sign guys like that anyway, of course. Or maybe you could argue that Laine could be LTIRed by then, so we'd have lots of room? :D

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't really expect any of those big name guys like Marner, Rantanen, and Draisatl to hit free agency next summer. But I would hate to have to pass one up if they did just because we gambled on Laine. Of course, you could say this about any big expenditures we make on free agents too, But if we spend all our Cap this year, plus have Nyquist and Johansen coming off the books next year and another Cap riser, we'd potentially be right hovering on the edge of being able to chase a big name like them, such that even the few extra million Laine represents could jeopardize that. It probably won't ever be possible to sign guys like that anyway, of course. Or maybe you could argue that Laine could be LTIRed by then, so we'd have lots of room? :D
There's always next summer, eh?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If he could stay healthy, Laine would be a huge addition. Problem is past 3 seasons, it hasn't happened. If we miss out on the nice UFAs, it would still be worth considering though if the price is alright. We have tons of capspace next season and season after. UFAs after next season are Saros, Fabbro, and Nyquist but RyJos 4 million retention falls off which would cover atleast Saros raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad