Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
We should absolutely be in on Laine. We have the space, we have room for him and God knows, we have the need.

Cost shouldn’t be sky-high given that we can absorb his whole cap hit.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Should be basically nothing. I don't know why anyone would give them anything of value for him.
This came up before. I am still saying I would only take him for free, and then only after July 7th or so if I had somehow completely failed to address our needs in free agency and was still somehow sitting on $10M of unused Cap. Which ought to be equivalent to saying “pass”/no way.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'd be interested in Laine. He has still played well when healthy and some of his more recent struggles have been mental health related and we as a team have a reputation of helping guys turn it around. The other thing is while it feels like he's been around forever he only just turned 26. I agree it does depend on what else we want to do though because it would eat up a decent chunk of our cap space for this offseason. I wouldn't give up anything super valuable but if they'd take something like Tomasino and a 3rd for him I'd definitely consider it.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Missed 25+ game seasons for each of the last four seasons. Hell of a scorer when he's on the ice ..... but .......
Makes him a perfect middle ground solution for us fans arguing whether we should sign another player or let the kids play.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I feel like we should sign about FOUR players... AND let the kids play. We have room to do both of those things. :help:
That was more of a joke, but yeah, while I don't know if I'd go for four those things don't rule each other out.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Sharks hire the AHL coach from Carolina.
Hmm. Well, we fired Hinote, right? Is Taylor coming up as an assistant here, then? :dunno:

That was more of a joke, but yeah, while I don't know if I'd go for four those things don't rule each other out.
I think we have ample room for 2F + 2D. And that's not even including bringing Lankinen or some other veteran backup goalie in if the consensus is that Askarov isn't ready. I think I already posted my roster along these lines somewhere here.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd be interested in Laine. He has still played well when healthy and some of his more recent struggles have been mental health related and we as a team have a reputation of helping guys turn it around. The other thing is while it feels like he's been around forever he only just turned 26. I agree it does depend on what else we want to do though because it would eat up a decent chunk of our cap space for this offseason. I wouldn't give up anything super valuable but if they'd take something like Tomasino and a 3rd for him I'd definitely consider it.
That's an overpayment unless you just want to dump Tomasino for some reason.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
A 3rd and a guy who we probably waive doesn't seem like that high of a cost to me. I do think it is tough to assess Laine's value though. Will be interesting to see what he eventually goes for and if Columbus will retain to get more value out of him. Realistically I don't think Laine is much of Bruno/Trotz type of player so I doubt we even kick the tires on it though.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Massive one. He's only played 129 of the last 246 games. Granted, was ~PPG for 2 of those partial seasons. But you can't be giving up any worthwhile assets AND taking on that contract for a guy that has a 50/50 shot of being in the lineup. Like Nichushkin, there is really big upside here, but it has to literally be a gift for me to want to add that into our mix. And even then, you basically have to roster build around the idea they won't be available.

Reactions: hido and Armourboy

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Are we an organization that can afford to say "no" to a potential 40 goal scorer who's 6-3 and in his prime? This is a team that had Mark Jankowkski as 2LW to end the year.

I mean good f***ing lord, if all it takes is Tomasino + a 3rd you obviously pull the trigger like it was yesterday.

Reactions: hockey diva

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Massive one. He's only played 129 of the last 246 games. Granted, was ~PPG for 2 of those partial seasons. But you can't be giving up any worthwhile assets AND taking on that contract for a guy that has a 50/50 shot of being in the lineup. Like Nichushkin, there is really big upside here, but it has to literally be a gift for me to want to add that into our mix. And even then, you basically have to roster build around the idea they won't be available.
I guess I just don't see Tomasino and a 3rd as that valuable of assets. Tomasino doesn't really have that much trade value and we have an abundance of picks already. The contract is brutal for sure but it's only two years long and if he does struggle to stay in the lineup then it opens up an opportunity for one of the prospects to step up. The only downside is if we're actually going big game hunting this offseason and are going to need that cap space, but there is a good chance we go into the season with a ton of cap space again.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Are we an organization that can afford to say "no" to a potential 40 goal scorer who's 6-3 and in his prime? This is a team that had Mark Jankowkski as 2LW to end the year.

I mean good f***ing lord, if all it takes is Tomasino + a 3rd you obviously pull the trigger like it was yesterday.
He hasn't scored 40 goals since '17-'18. Pace is great and all, but if you don't play more than 55 games a season you aren't going to be a 40 goal scorer. Right now he's $8.7 million a year for 50-55 points. Assuming he's not exiled to the 4th line at 10 minutes a night, I feel pretty confident Tomasino could hit 50-55 points--or at least 40-45. It may take him a full season to do it, but he'd also do it at 1/8 the cost.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
He hasn't scored 40 goals since '17-'18. Pace is great and all, but if you don't play more than 55 games a season you aren't going to be a 40 goal scorer. Right now he's $8.7 million a year for 50-55 points. Assuming he's not exiled to the 4th line at 10 minutes a night, I feel pretty confident Tomasino could hit 50-55 points--or at least 40-45. It may take him a full season to do it, but he'd also do it at 1/8 the cost.
What do we have to lose if we try with him, though?

We miss the chance to re-sign Zucker?

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Those are definitely the only two uses of $8.7M cap space and potentially prospects/young players/picks.
Dude, it’s not like we’re up against the cap. We have like 30 mil to spare.

Also, they aren’t ever going to play Tomasino under Brunette. So, we can scratch that plan already.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

If he was being given away at that kind of cost, heck yeah. But he very definitely is not.

I've been unable to come up with a deal that would really work for both sides despite having it on my mind for literally months. It's easy to come up with one that rips off one or the other, but for some crazy reason I don't want to do that. :) Part of the issue is that IMO the Jackets' biggest needs are Shutdown Defense and Skilled* Mentors, and Nashville doesn't really have those to spare.

*: where "skilled" == "NOT even more of the fourth line or bottom pairing guys that everybody immediately leaps to the front of the line to try to offer"

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If Laine had been healthy the past 3 seasons, I'd be more than willing to pay with Tomasino. Since Laine can't seemingly stay healthy, I wouldn't give anything beyond a 2nd and a c/d prospect
Based on his rates if he'd stayed healthy we'd be talking about a 30+ goal, nearly point per game level player. That would take significantly more than Tomasino to get. I know the shine has worn off of Laine a little bit but I'm kind of surprised by how low people are rating him here. I thought Tomasino + 3rd was a lowball offer.

Reactions: Viqsi

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Based on his rates if he'd stayed healthy we'd be talking about a 30+ goal, nearly point per game level player. That would take significantly more than Tomasino to get. I know the shine has worn off of Laine a little bit but I'm kind of surprised by how low people are rating him here.
And I'd be willing to pay it. But we are talking about a massive caphit on a player that misses significant time yearly. Nearly 9 million in cap wrapped up in someone that has missed as much time as he has over the past 4 seasons isn't something I'd be willing to throw alot of resources at. Take 9 million a shake it at some UFAs like Reinhart

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Laine had been healthy the past 3 seasons, I'd be more than willing to pay with Tomasino. Since Laine can't seemingly stay healthy, I wouldn't give anything beyond a 2nd and a c/d prospect
Tomasino wouldn't have value up here anyways, honestly. The number of wingers in the Jackets' system makes the logjam in Nashville/Milwaukee look positively barren.

Reactions: hido

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What I find personally annoying is that up until last season's results I would have had the perfect answer for a Laine trade right about now. Fabbro + Nyquist. Done. But then Nyquist had to go on that ludicrously insane career year of career years and so obviously there's no way that would even remotely fly. Harrumph. :( ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad