Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'll just say it. If we sign Saros to a long term, big money deal, we are destined to not escape the mushy middle and in fact will be basically condemned to it. We will finish anywhere between 7th and 10th for every year we have him.

Several teams are at least semi-desperate for a goalie this summer. Market will probably never be hotter. Get the best return you can get and turn the page.
Don't really disagree but I'd probably qualify it as signing Saros long-term and running the same roster out there again (and basically again the following year, and the following...). If we make other roster moves to improve the roster I'll be less pessimistic.

I think part of it may also be posturing for GMs like Fitz and Blake to "shit or get off the pot" if they want a chance at a Saros-caliber goaltender.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we keep saros, we really gotta do something to improve our center situation this offseason and for the future. Not sure how we do that tbh since we there aren't any tempting names out there. There are wingers and defense in UFA that would help bolster now and in the future but as for centers....

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
I'll just say it. If we sign Saros to a long term, big money deal, we are destined to not escape the mushy middle and in fact will be basically condemned to it. We will finish anywhere between 7th and 10th for every year we have him.

Several teams are at least semi-desperate for a goalie this summer. Market will probably never be hotter. Get the best return you can get and turn the page.
To be honest, the decision on renewing Saros should have been made before the team decided to use a first round pick on Askarov. I'd like to think they had a goalie transition plan in mind before using a 1st on a goalie, and it's possible they did but Askarov hasn't developed according to their forecasts. At any rate, at this point Trotz needs to make a call on whether Askarov is going to be a quality starter and manage the roster and cap accordingly.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Is it me or does Wood seem a bit high in that ranking after what we have seen out of some of these guys in the AHL?
Eh, most prospect rankings have less to do with proven performance at the pro level and more to do with perceived potential. Same reason Kemell is #2 over L'Heureux

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Maybe it’s recency bias but I’d have L’Hereux at 2 out of that list personally. Much like Evangelista he’s just shown that he has just continually impressed at every milestone you could hope for.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
To be honest, the decision on renewing Saros should have been made before the team decided to use a first round pick on Askarov. I'd like to think they had a goalie transition plan in mind before using a 1st on a goalie, and it's possible they did but Askarov hasn't developed according to their forecasts. At any rate, at this point Trotz needs to make a call on whether Askarov is going to be a quality starter and manage the roster and cap accordingly.
It's never that straight-forward with goalies, even highly drafted ones, until they are actually at the NHL level and producing. See Brian Finley or Chet Pickard. Even better, the LA Kings spent a #11 overall on Jonathan Bernier, who developed into a serviceable NHL goalie, but they probably don't win a Cup if they force him into the #1 role at the expense of Jonathan Quick.

A decision doesn't have to be forced here, but I think a lot of factor coalesce into making this a spot where not making a decision (or making the wrong one) bites us down the line.

Maybe it’s recency bias but I’d have L’Hereux at 2 out of that list personally. Much like Evangelista he’s just shown that he has just continually impressed at every milestone you could hope for.
It is recency bias, but I'm with you on it.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I figure if we can get 99 pts out of a team that had very mediocre goaltending, questionable defense, and really just 1 line producing regularly… then this hypothetical “mushy middle” shouldn’t be THAT difficult to escape from? :dunno:

Heck, Saros alone playing more like his usual self might have got us 10 more points. Is 109 enough? Add some depth and maybe we’re at 115?

Having big superstar forward duos would be fun, but I think we have lots of room to improve with more mundane tweaks too. Just because we didn’t get there in the past doesn’t mean it’s perpetually unachievable.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I figure if we can get 99 pts out of a team that had very mediocre goaltending, questionable defense, and really just 1 line producing regularly… then this hypothetical “mushy middle” shouldn’t be THAT difficult to escape from? :dunno:

Heck, Saros alone playing more like his usual self might have got us 10 more points. Is 109 enough? Add some depth and maybe we’re at 115?

Having big superstar forward duos would be fun, but I think we have lots of room to improve with more mundane tweaks too. Just because we didn’t get there in the past doesn’t mean it’s perpetually unachievable.
10 more points still doesn't win you a playoff series.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

It is unachievable without superstar forwards for the most part. Edmonton has crap depth and they've made it to the finals with 4 guys playing out their minds and an average goalie. Dallas was the deeper team with a better goalie and got bounced.

Saros has been the better regular season goalie between he and Bobrovsky. Funny thing is, Bob seems to show up in the playoffs.

One thing people forget and I was worried about, our point streak, while incredible and fun to watch, was against lesser teams most nights and the good teams we beat were missing key players in most if not all games. It never really gave us a great indicator of where this team was.

We had 4 guys slotted in as forwards who just aren't very good at this level and without superstars up front, it was too much to overcome.

Sure, tweaks are needed but not mundane little one. We need to stop thinking elite goaltending is going to get us anywhere in the playoffs. We need to start thinking elite forwards are going to get us somewhere in the playoffs. In addition to that we need gritty forwards who are playoff performers. Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk and Alex Tanguay didn't want Cups on their own. Guys like Chris Drury and Adam Deadmarsh were deadly come playoff time. Same with Claude Lemieux. This is why I love having a guy like ZLH coming down the pike. The kid raised his game - this is what you have to target as a franchise.

Back to Dallas for a moment, I didn't hardly notice Robertson in the Edmonton series. He was there but didn't move the needle for me. As much as I enjoy watching Forsberg and Josi, they've been mid for their playoff careers. Josi disappears in a lot of cases and Forsberg tries to do too much.

If we move Saros and we suck, so be it. We made a move to try and get the ship out of the mush. I can handle that. What I can't handle is doing the same thing over and over and over again and thinking this might be the year. I'll cut Trotz some slack for the time being but I hope he learned from his time away from here what it takes to get to the next level and to execute a plan like that. Otherwise, we're stuck with another Poile and that's just not going to work.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
One thing to keep in mind is that that we're not a franchise who will go into rebuild willingly. Even Dallas' GM said that when they tanked in 2017, they knew they would have to rise within 2-4 years from that pit. Otherwise, the market could dry up. Luckily, they drafted Heiskanen, Robertson and Oettinger in 2017 which helped.

But on the flipside, I think a rather quick turnaround is possible for us. We already have solid depth in our prospect pool which we will start seeing in the coming years in Nashville. What we need is elite talent. And moving Saros is our best chance at getting our hands on elite talent, at this moment. Josi and Forsberg are not going anywhere and the rest of the players on our team just don't carry enough value.

Let's say we get a top-10 pick this summer and we head into next year with a weaker lineup. So we could get another top-10 pick in 2025, and who knows where Tampa ends up with their pick.

The rebuild would take the next two seasons, after which hopefully most of L'Heureux, Svechkov, Kemell and Wood will be in the NHL. O'Reilly, Forsberg and Josi will still be here to oversee the transition and will be integral pieces of the team.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois

Not saying I agree or disagree but if the Preds move on from Saros then is Askarov the next goalie? He was benched in Milwaukee during the PO's for an almost 30 yo Troy Grosenick.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Bobrovsky vs Saros career playoff stats are fairly similar.

Saros
SV% .911
GAA 2.12

Bobrovsky
SV% .907
GAA 2.83

Saros had a down postseason this year but even if you look at 20-21 where he had a .921 sv%, 2.78 GAA, and facing 35 shots a game. We still lost in the 1st round. He is only getting 2.22 GFA (goals for). Doesn't matter how good your goalie is doing if the rest of the group can't score.

As far as scorched earth rebuild... if we have to turn in around in 4 years... I don't know if we are set up for that yet. We got some solid wingers in the system but lack center and defense. I reckon depending on what you get for Saros would impact that

Not saying I agree or disagree but if the Preds move on from Saros then is Askarov the next goalie? He was benched in Milwaukee during the PO's for an almost 30 yo Troy Grosenick.

We would almost certainly need a transitional goalie like Samsanov/Elvis or see what we can get for taking on Campbell/Korpisalo. Give Askarov time to continue to grow as a player without throwing him to the wolves. I'd still like to get him into the NHL so he can be more closely guided by the staff and Korn.

Reactions: PredsV82

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
If we move Saros and we suck, so be it. We made a move to try and get the ship out of the mush. I can handle that. What I can't handle is doing the same thing over and over and over again and thinking this might be the year. I'll cut Trotz some slack for the time being but I hope he learned from his time away from here what it takes to get to the next level and to execute a plan like that. Otherwise, we're stuck with another Poile and that's just not going to work.
I can live with this. The Preds have been a good decent team/Org for almost its entire existence. Making the PO's in 16 out of last 20 years with one great run. Complacency can be comfortable and safe and feel good. It's better than being poor and crappy and not making the PO's! But after a while you want more. The fans and the Org should want more than just making the PO's. But that means taking a risk/chance. If that means shedding Saros in search of a 1C or true top 3 player then as the saying goes "sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet".

Reactions: hockey diva

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I do think it is a tough position for Trotz to be in because you can see different things in this team whether your are more optimistic or more pessimistic. We did make the playoffs last year even with a down year from Saros and were a five minute collapse away from taking control of our first round series. I could definitely see how you could look at that and think if we can add another impact player or two in free agency, graduate another prospect or two, and get a bounce back season out of Saros under Korn's tutelage that we could take the next step. On the flip side, if you take the more pessimistic view that we had very good injury luck and got career years out of many players including several in their 30s than maybe we are better taking a step back by moving Saros and taking a more patient retooling approach. I tend towards the more pessimistic view but I can definitely see the rationale if we go the other way.

As far what we do if we trade Saros it reminds me a bit of the situation when we traded Vokoun. Obviously not exactly the same since that was precipitated by issues with ownership, but it is similar in that we have a young promising goalie in Milwaukee that isn't quite ready for the NHL. That year we made it work with a tandem of Mason and Ellis and still made the playoffs. Then the following season Pekka was ready to take over and the rest was history. The other interesting aspect is that the return for Vokoun was the 9th OA and two 2nd rounders which is fairly similar to what we could likely get from NJ. Those picks ultimately became Colin Wilson and Nick Spaling.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Grosenick is 34. And basically missed all of the previous season. Both goalies have benefited from playing on a strong AHL team this season. We simply don't know if Askarov is the next goalie or not. He's about as good a hope as anybody around the league has coming. But goalies take time and he's an especially difficult case to project with his unorthodox style. I'm happy we have one of the best goalie prospects. But obviously we need to see a couple more years of solid progression from him before we can start to be confident that he's the "next one". Having Korn back in the fold should help. Although even great goalie coaches aren't a universally guaranteed solution, because sometimes it's more the connection between the coach and player, having them be on the same wavelength, that matters - not just having the technical chops and know-how. (Part of Korn's track record of course probably does come down to being able to develop great relationships with his students).

Anyway, all to say, we've at least got very solid reasons to hope. I'd say in 2 more years we should be in a great position to take that hope to the next level of "confidence". Unless Trotz wants to jumpstart the program and throw Askarov in as backup in the coming season. It wouldn't be the way that traditionally conservative NHL teams would usually handle things. But is also an option. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I do think it is a tough position for Trotz to be in because you can see different things in this team whether your are more optimistic or more pessimistic. We did make the playoffs last year even with a down year from Saros and were a five minute collapse away from taking control of our first round series. I could definitely see how you could look at that and think if we can add another impact player or two in free agency, graduate another prospect or two, and get a bounce back season out of Saros under Korn's tutelage that we could take the next step. On the flip side, if you take the more pessimistic view that we had very good injury luck and got career years out of many players including several in their 30s than maybe we are better taking a step back by moving Saros and taking a more patient retooling approach. I tend towards the more pessimistic view but I can definitely see the rationale if we go the other way.

As far what we do if we trade Saros it reminds me a bit of the situation when we traded Vokoun. Obviously not exactly the same since that was precipitated by issues with ownership, but it is similar in that we have a young promising goalie in Milwaukee that isn't quite ready for the NHL. That year we made it work with a tandem of Mason and Ellis and still made the playoffs. Then the following season Pekka was ready to take over and the rest was history. The other interesting aspect is that the return for Vokoun was the 9th OA and two 2nd rounders which is fairly similar to what we could likely get from NJ. Those picks ultimately became Colin Wilson and Nick Spaling.
For me, I don't think it comes down to picking a "middle" vs. "tank" vs. any other kind of overall direction argument. I think there are ample pathways to successfully winning a championship that you don't have to constrain yourself to any stereotypical path.

Instead, my decision on Saros would be based on a more focused "asset value" kind of evaluation. Without tying it into a bigger picture. Because in the end, if I make positive asset value decisions all over the management portfolio, I would expect to succeed at my end goal.

So in Saros' case, I look at the trade market first: I don't believe we'll get any good players/picks offered to us for Saros - not of a "franchise changing" level anyway (aside from getting semi-randomly lucky with who we pick anyhow). Saros is a better/more-impactful hockey player than 2nd line forwards or 2nd-pairing defensemen. #10 overall draft picks sometimes pan out to be better than that, but also sometimes bust completely. It's more of a gamble at long odds than a clear win to choose that asset over an established star-caliber player. I'm definitely pessimistic about Saros' market trade value and don't believe there is going to be anything out there in a trade that will be a "net positive" move for my team.

That said, I also have to balance that off with the contractual situation. I like Saros, but I'm not that high on goaltender value overall, and I think we could do okay with a stopgap and a transition to Askarov. It's not going to be a major impact to us if we lost Saros. However, there's an enormous difference between Saros' asset value to me on a team-friendly contract as opposed to on a UFA-market-driven type of contract. Give him to me at 6x$6M with no NMC, and I think his asset value is preserved at a very high level. Give him to me on a 8x$8.5M contract with a NMC clause, and that is basically a HUGE negative asset value.

So that narrows my decision on what to do with Saros down to seeing what his contract demands are. At the right numbers, I value him as an asset above what I perceive to be his trade value. At the wrong numbers, I'll take even the poor level of trade return I'm expecting.

And none of it really has to do with where I'm plotting course with the rest of my moves. I'm winning a championship either way. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: ILikeItILoveIt

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
When we gave Pekka his 7x$7 contract after the 2011-2012 season, it felt like a no-brainer. That team won a playoff round and should have gone to the conference final but ran into a hot Coyote goalie and a dump suspension of Rads. His regular season was 2.39 GA and a .923 Save %. His playoff stats were even better (2.07 and .929). We locked him in and got a great return for our money. Saros was 4 years away from coming up and being his backup and ultimate successor.

Saros had a down year last year (2.86 and .906). His playoff stats were better (2.02 and .900) but not good enough to win. That's been the story of Juuse's playoff life. 5-11 with 2.45 and .911. Granted, he's played behind mediocre teams, but he also hasn't stood on his head to win a series for us.

Therefore, as "elite" as Saros is viewed by some, he has not been the difference maker. He's overcome his small stature and gives us above average goaltending most of the time, but I'm afraid his size will be his undoing during the mid-to-end of this next contract term. Saros overcomes size with cat-like reflexes and speed. Both those attributes will fade as he ages. Bigger goalies don't get smaller with age. Their size helps compensate for their aging reflexes and quickness.

People hoping Saros will settle for a $6x6 contract are not being realistic. Assume we'll need to be in $8 x7or8 years range. We could get a Top 6 forward for that money, and a good one with that term. Isn't that a better investment in our future? The beauty of a Askarov / Lanky tandem either next or the year after is the lead-time on Askarov. He doesn't become a UFA for 5 years. We'd have him and Lanky on low-cost contracts until 2030. We'd save at least $5 million per year by trading Saros and going with the new duo. Lanky could split the net with Askarov to take the pressure off and let him continue to develop. Meanwhile, we invest the "Saros-Dividend" in another skill player.

It may not be fair to Juuse but he's become part of our merky-middle team syndrome. Tying up too much long-term money in him, when he hasn't reached the "Rinne No-Brainer" status, is a mistake and will help keep us in the murky-middle.

Rip the band-aid off.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
People hoping Saros will settle for a $6x6 contract are not being realistic. Assume we'll need to be in $8 x7or8 years range.
I just firmly believe we will get him on a "friendly" deal. I do not think he's the type of person who will be chasing big money. I will believe that right up until I see something different actually transpire. Or that *IF* we truly can't get him on that deal, he will be traded. I strongly believe also that he will not want to be traded. So all the more reason to believe he'll sign a "friendly" deal with us. I think he would have been traded already, in fact... *IF* Trotz didn't already have that warm/fuzzy about being able to sign him on a team-friendly deal.

We could get a Top 6 forward for that money, and a good one with that term. Isn't that a better investment in our future?
I don't think that's a good investment or a particularly useful player at all, no. Who is the player, though? It all depends on the specific name. But I can't think of any $6M forward who would be better than Saros at $6M. :dunno:

The beauty of a Askarov / Lanky tandem either next or the year after is the lead-time on Askarov. He doesn't become a UFA for 5 years. We'd have him and Lanky on low-cost contracts until 2030. We'd save at least $5 million per year by trading Saros and going with the new duo. Lanky could split the net with Askarov to take the pressure off and let him continue to develop. Meanwhile, we invest the "Saros-Dividend" in another skill player.
Possibly risk ruining Askarov - I don't think this is very likely, he seems to have enough cockiness that he isn't really ruin-able that way, but rushing young players who are not ready for the NHL isn't generally a good idea. I might gamble on doing it as a "last resort" in the emergency scenario where we truly needed to trade Saros for peanuts due to his contract demands, as noted above, and couldn't find anybody else. But it's also possible we could get a veteran stop-gap goalie as a Cap dump back in a deal, or a more mature younger goalie, who would probably be better to use than Askarov.

It may not be fair to Juuse but he's become part of our merky-middle team syndrome. Tying up too much long-term money in him, when he hasn't reached the "Rinne No-Brainer" status, is a mistake and will help keep us in the murky-middle.

Rip the band-aid off.
I think 6x$6M is very "fair to Juuse". It's very good money and term from us. If he wants top dollar instead, he can try to get that somewhere else or on the UFA market next summer. Both options are a win for him, really. What's unfair about that? It's his choice. It's a lot of money and good security either way.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Even with Saros' down season this year, his career sv% from start of 19-20 season to now is 7th for goalies with 100+ games played. This puts him squarely amongst Sorokin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, and Jarry while having the 2nd most games started. Jarry is the only name there with a caphit under 8 million. Maybe you can get very lucky and sign him to something "team friendly" which would be closer to 7 million per but he rightfully will be asking for closer to 8 million per

Reactions: Scoresberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad