Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Then we move on. Saros is good, but he's not worth 8+ let alone 10 over multiple seasons.
Fair enough. But even dismissing the upcoming Shesterhkin deal, I don't believe there's any way we get him under 8.

Hellebuyck 8.5
Sorokin 8.25

Saros is pretty much right there with those guys (well at least with Sorokin). Also, cap is rising and his deal is only kicking in next year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Hello guys, Buffalo fan here. I'm wondering if a player like Sissons will be available, is he a good 3C and what will his cost be?

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hello guys, Buffalo fan here. I'm wondering if a player like Sissons will be available, is he a good 3C and what will his cost be?
He's not untouchable but he's a very valuable piece for us. He's an excellent 3C, can give you 30-35 points per year while playing against top competition. Very versatile player and also a part of our leader group.

So yeah, in a sense, he's "available" but probably not at a price you are willing to pay. We don't really have a incentive to move him.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Pesce would do a lot for our D Core. Sign me up. We need to spend the money somewhere, and I don't see that many high end target forwards I'd rather put that money towards, outside of a trade we don't foresee.

Reactions: Scoresberg

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Fair enough. But even dismissing the upcoming Shesterhkin deal, I don't believe there's any way we get him under 8.

Hellebuyck 8.5
Sorokin 8.25

Saros is pretty much right there with those guys (well at least with Sorokin). Also, cap is rising and his deal is only kicking in next year.
Well Shesterhkin and Sorokin both are in NY so they get that bump in pay. I guess you would have to pay Hellebuyck to stay in Winnipeg! Everyone else is under $6.4 except Bob and Vas. So I could see if the Preds wanted to stay with Juuse and keep him long term that they could go like a Peka deal maybe 5x$7 or $7.5 if they felt Asky wasn't the next guy. But you run the risk of losing Asky if you give Juuse a long (5yr or more) term deal. IMHO.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’m not too concerned about AAV with Saros really it’s more the term and trade protection. I’d be happy to overpay him somewhat if we can keep the term lower and have the flexibility to move him.

Pesce makes a lot of sense for us too I think. Good McDonagh replacement and is younger and plays on the side we need help on the most.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Also, Pagnotta (I know) reporting that we're making a push to sign Pesce.

Ehlers welcomes change of scenery — The Fourth Period
Yeah, I'm pretty confident we'll get Pesce. Trotz probably almost made a scary-bad trade for him last year. Passing him up as a UFA when it's just money and we have so much Cap open won't be an option.

I'm just worried about Pesce's poor season as a player. Or at least, I have the perception from reading around here a bit that he really fell off a cliff in his level of play last season, but I don't have any data or any personal observation to back that up. Or if there are injury/other reasons which might help explain whatever happened.

Accommodating McDonagh's wishes was probably largely predicated on the confidence that we can flip his money onto a replacement D, and Pesce is probably that guy. But if we're signing him north of 6x$6M to basically be our #2 guy... he will have to play a whole lot better than it seems like he did last year, or else that becomes a very bad contract... :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well Shesterhkin and Sorokin both are in NY so they get that bump in pay. I guess you would have to pay Hellebuyck to stay in Winnipeg! Everyone else is under $6.4 except Bob and Vas. So I could see if the Preds wanted to stay with Juuse and keep him long term that they could go like a Peka deal maybe 5x$7 or $7.5 if they felt Asky wasn't the next guy. But you run the risk of losing Asky if you give Juuse a long (5yr or more) term deal. IMHO.
I don't think there's a term-related risk in losing Askarov. The only risk is if you give Saros the NMC and Expansion comes along. But then that's only a risk at all if Askarov actually develops into an NHL-caliber goalie, which also hasn't happened yet.

I could see Saros accepting something as low as 5x$6M, just because he wants to stay. But I could give him a 6th year and a shade more $$$ as my "max offer". I don't see any of that affecting what happens with Askarov. Askarov just has to play and develop, and the day he becomes a better goalie than Saros, he plays ahead of Saros. There isn't really a "risk" factor there, outside of any potential Expansion Draft interference.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think there's a term-related risk in losing Askarov. The only risk is if you give Saros the NMC and Expansion comes along. But then that's only a risk at all if Askarov actually develops into an NHL-caliber goalie, which also hasn't happened yet.

I could see Saros accepting something as low as 5x$6M, just because he wants to stay. But I could give him a 6th year and a shade more $$$ as my "max offer". I don't see any of that affecting what happens with Askarov. Askarov just has to play and develop, and the day he becomes a better goalie than Saros, he plays ahead of Saros. There isn't really a "risk" factor there, outside of any potential Expansion Draft interference.
I do agree in that as long as Askarov has a discernible and reasonable pathway to the #1, or to challenge for the #1, we probably don't have a risk of losing out on him. If it were to be a situation where Saros has an unmovable contract with a NMC and Yaro sees himself stuck as nothing more than a 20-25 game backup, regardless of his performance, for the next 5+ years, that would be the scenario that may cause concern.

Reactions: weeze

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I do agree in that as long as Askarov has a discernible and reasonable pathway to the #1, or to challenge for the #1, we probably don't have a risk of losing out on him. If it were to be a situation where Saros has an unmovable contract with a NMC and Yaro sees himself stuck as nothing more than a 20-25 game backup, regardless of his performance, for the next 5+ years, that would be the scenario that may cause concern.
Exactly. And that's why you do not give Saros a NMC under any circumstances. If Saros absolutely wants the NMC (only 4 or 5 active goalies in the NHL have a full NMC) then you have to let him go. It has to be non-negotiable. It can't be on the table, period.

(Unless you have some very reliable insider knowledge that the NHL will not expand in the next decade, or you have some very serious reservations about Askarov's potential based on your firsthand scouting of him - neither of which things we on the outside are currently thinking).

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I was thinking about how Saros/Rinne played out.

Saros GP in NHL:

Saros GP.png

Will we see a similar thing with Askarov? Obviously the difference here is that Pekka was nearing a retirement, but if we extend Saros for 5 years he'll be 36 by the end of it.

I'd love to see Saros finish his career in Preds, but competitive guys want to play as much as possible, so it's probably not an easy puzzle. From a fan perspective it'd be great to extend Saros for say that 5 yrs and when Askarov is ready to take over the backup responsibility from Lankinen they'd play it similarily to Peks/Saros and by the time Saros' contract is up he'd be extended for 1-2 years at a time to play backup for as long as he can.

But as I said, there are a lot of variables, so it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Does Gallagher actually have any sources? I have a hard time believing it would have taken a high draft pick to dump Pesce.

Either way I guess it doesn't really matter. Whether we've had interest in him before or not I do think he is a guy that makes sense.

Reactions: Scoresberg

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Exactly. And that's why you do not give Saros a NMC under any circumstances. If Saros absolutely wants the NMC (only 4 or 5 active goalies in the NHL have a full NMC) then you have to let him go. It has to be non-negotiable. It can't be on the table, period.

(Unless you have some very reliable insider knowledge that the NHL will not expand in the next decade, or you have some very serious reservations about Askarov's potential based on your firsthand scouting of him - neither of which things we on the outside are currently thinking).
I could see maybe meeting him in the middle and offer a 10 team or Modified NMC if Saros wants some say in where he doesn't want to go. If he gives a home team discount.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Well, he just broke the fact that Trotz did not try to trade for Pesce during this past season…..
Well yeah but that doesn't make it true. FWIW the only insider I truly trust is Friedman and that's because he has a track record of actually being correct about things.

Reactions: predhead1

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I could see maybe meeting him in the middle and offer a 10 team or Modified NMC if Saros wants some say in where he doesn't want to go. If he gives a home team discount.
In which case you give him a NTC, which I take for granted Saros will get.

You just can't give him a NMC, because then he is automatically protected in any Expansion Draft (and by extension one assumes the other goalie must be exposed - although I wonder what would happen if we gave 2 goalies NMCs. :D )

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Well yeah but that doesn't make it true. FWIW the only insider I truly trust is Friedman and that's because he has a track record of actually being correct about things.
The Predators organization issued him media credentials, he attends practices and talks with staff coaches and players after practice, He sits in the media section of the arena at games, he does post game interviews with players and coaches.

Believe him or not when he makes a statement, that’s up to you. If you want to believe people that post on HFboards more than a guy that is credentialed by the team and spends time around the organization, have fun with that.

Reactions: hido

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The Predators organization issued him media credentials, he attends practices and talks with staff coaches and players after practice, He sits in the media section of the arena at games, he does post game interviews with players and coaches.

Believe him or not when he makes a statement, that’s up to you. If you want to believe people that post on HFboards more than a guy that is credentialed by the team and spends time around the organization, have fun with that.
None of that means he has any insider knowledge about trades the team is considering. Our beat writers have notoriously never had any insider info and Gallagher has yet to break anything that would suggest to me he does. Not sure where you got the idea I’m listening to random people on HF Boards about anything? I know you love a good straw man to argue against though. I have no idea whether we actually tried to trade for Pesce or not but it seems pretty unlikely to me that after last season he had such negative value it would take a high draft pick to dump him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad