My argument for trading Marner

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
JT is the obvious one to move if you could. You wouldn't get near the asset return as Marner but you would keep Mitch Marner and gain $11 million in cap space. BUT in the effort to change the culture on this team I think you need to bring in someone who won't defer to a style of more passive play. Tom Wilson is going to play like Tom Wilson, he's probably going to get the rest of the team throwing weight around more. He will damn sure bring a lot of guys into the fight, into scrums, after whistle shit.

I don't think Matthews' goal scoring is dependent on Marner's play making, and the sell here to the Capitals is that you're getting Marner's 1st team All-Star passing and vision to set up Ovechkin nightly in his pursuit of the Gretzky Goal record.

The rest of the trade, Mrazek for Samsonov is obvious, Nick Jensen provides steady, cup winning defensive depth, and Kody Clark is a bigger kid who projects to develop well.

You could probably get more from the Capitals but I think this type of move would be the best way to maximize the effect of moving out a core piece and replacing it with a different but highly effective weapon. It's not a points for points type of trade, it's a Shanahan to the Wings type of trade.

Attachments

• 0999BC60-E6E5-4CDB-B530-9333697801E1.jpeg
    0999BC60-E6E5-4CDB-B530-9333697801E1.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's kind of obvious that players have career scoring years playing with Marner. It would be a very different team minus Marner. And now that Marner actually started concentrating on his shooting, he's finally a proper rounded threat. I predict he'll win an Art Ross in the next 5 seasons.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Sure.. why don't you elaborate then? You said Matthews flamed out, like Marner. This isn't even close to being true.

In game 5 game winning goal, Matthews created the turnover at center ice by backchecking and throwing a hit, he pivoted without hesitation to offense and created the 2-1 and scored the rebound goal.

In game 6, when the team was down 2-0 he won the faceoff, went to the net and tipped the point shot that cut the Tampa lead to 1 goal and the game eventually went to OT (Marner didn't have a point this game and had the OT giveaway that led to the loss).

In game 7, it was his touch pass to Rielly that created the only goal the leafs scored in the 2-1 game.

In game 6, Matthews had 9 hits, 65% face-off win percentage and 6 shots.
In game 6, Marner had 0 hits, and 3 shots
In game 7, Matthews had 6 hits, 61% face-off percentage and 4 shots.
In game 7, Marner had 2 hits and 0 shots.

Looked forward to your explanation how Matthews flamed out just as Marner.

Game 5 yes matthews did a great play for sure but everything was possible because Marner was the first foward to backcheck and cut space in neutral zone and giving up to Matthews a chance to make a defensive play+ still made a smart play when he didnt had any passing lane but still find the way to reach Matthews with a smart shot off vasi legs

Game 7 if marner is not there never matthews get the puck and get all the space of the world to make a play, everything happening because of marner play

The only thing we can really reproach to marner matthews is the PP who wqs not good enough, its the only thing

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You get the same result if you move Nylander+ Muzzin. I mean its cap space and as good as Willy is he will never be as good as Marner offensively or defensively.

The return would be peanuts but yes we would have the cap to make some moves. Trading Marner will at least net us a Dman to play with Reilly and get us depth in our bottom 6 and with the cap room and picks we get trading Marner Toronto could go all in with a goalie they like or resign Campbell

This is the point I'm trying to make

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sure, I'd trade Marner, no problem. Happy to accept other players with M in their first name. Makar, McDavid... those types. Given such trades will never happen...

• Haha
Reactions: Buds17

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Refs blew game 6 and 7, idc what anyone says, we were the better team. Blowing up the core isn't the answer, especially not Marner/Matthews. If we trade Marner, Matthews absolutely walks in FA.

So no, do not trade Marner, he is probably the best player at his position in the entire league.

Reactions: kb

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Game 5 yes matthews did a great play for sure but everything was possible because Marner was the first foward to backcheck and cut space in neutral zone and giving up to Matthews a chance to make a defensive play+ still made a smart play when he didnt had any passing lane but still find the way to reach Matthews with a smart shot off vasi legs

Game 7 if marner is not there never matthews get the puck and get all the space of the world to make a play, everything happening because of marner play

The only thing we can really reproach to marner matthews is the PP who wqs not good enough, its the only thing
..... Marner was not the first forward backchecking in the neutral zone. In fact watching the play over... Tampa never had full control of the puck ever. Bunting had the desperation poke check that knocked the puck as the defender tried to pass the puck out of the zone, Matthews caught up to the Tampa player collecting the pass, he hit the player and distrupted the puck with stick.... Marner was coasting to center ice at this point. Bunting recovered the puck after the Matthews hit and made a deft pass to Marner who was standing all alone at center ice. Matthews transitioned straight to offense and created the 2-1 with Marner.

Watching this play over in the full game on YouTube and not the replays that don't show Bunting knock the puck loose...

Really impressed with the work of Bunting and Matthews on this play... playoff hockey type physical and desperation puck hounding that led to the goal.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Convince Tavares he's not wanted and as a Leafs fan, he should welcome the opportunity to play elsewhere so the Leafs can try for success.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
..... Marner was not the first forward backchecking in the neutral zone. In fact watching the play over... Tampa never had full control of the puck ever. Bunting had the desperation poke check that knocked the puck as the defender tried to pass the puck out of the zone, Matthews caught up to the Tampa player collecting the pass, he hit the player and distrupted the puck with stick.... Marner was coasting to center ice at this point. Bunting recovered the puck after the Matthews hit and made a deft pass to Marner who was standing all alone at center ice. Matthews transitioned straight to offense and created the 2-1 with Marner.

Watching this play over in the full game on YouTube and not the replays that don't show Bunting knock the puck loose...

Really impressed with the work of Bunting and Matthews on this play... playoff hockey type physical and desperation puck hounding that led to the goal.

Bunting poke check, and made mcdonaugh lose the puck, Matthews goes on mcdonaugh, marner goes on paul and cancel this option, muzzin pinch on other tampa and cancel this second option... it was a perfect team play who cancel every option mcdonaugh could have... so he tried to dump the puck but missed it, matthews stole it the puck, bunting gave the puck to marner who goes on 2v1 with matthews...every play those 4 player created that result, its about the team not about individual thing.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Too bad the interweb didn't exist to the average Joe in '83. The "My Argument for Trading Gretzky" thread on the Oiler's board would have been epic.

It would have been the greatest thread in the history of the internet, followed closely by the "My Argument for Trading Mario" thread on the Pens' board.

horner

May 22, 2007
Matthews is a 60+ goal scorer while Marner is 30+. Both are regular season studs. Matthews returns more though so unless somebody .throws a basketball trade at you for Matty, Marner goes first unless you can find a way to move JT.

IMO a team can succeed with one 11+m star but not 3 in a flat cap world. Perhaps if those three were Mattyx2 and McDavid but not our 3. It has been proven 4 years in a row.
Np trade marner and watch Matthews walk at Free Agency.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
IMO a team can succeed with one 11+m star but not 3 in a flat cap world. Perhaps if those three were Mattyx2 and McDavid but not our 3. It has been proven 4 years in a row.

It's not about winning.

Only fans care about that and MLSE, the players and management have to talk like that is the goal.

It would be nice for Toronto, but really there are other priorities.

If winning was the goal, you wouldn't sign overpay contracts. Dubas signed 3.

United35

Jan 16, 2021
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!
I’m not advocating for paying a winger 10.6 million per but cap space is slightly overrated. don’t forget when the leafs had 4, 5, 6.5 mill players we had little cap space and were terrible.

I’ll take an overpaid top end talent who works his a$$ off to become better than two or three plumbers who may not deliver combined what top end talent can.

again not saying I love the leafs cap structure but let’s all be careful what we wish for or we may end up with the Finger ;)

p.s “the best is yet to come”

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With the potential of Calgary losing Johnny Hockey to free agency then Matthew Tkachuk might not want to resign.

So has anybody suggested Marner to Calgary for RFA Tkachuk to play alongside Auston Matthews.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
2021-22 Scoring Leaders
================

#8 Matthew Tkachuk, LW - Cal - 82 games 42 goals 62 assists 104 points

#10 Mitch Marner, RW - TOR - 72 games 35 goals 62 assists 97 points

I know the stats... Marner has such great chemistry with Matthews though. Would Tkachuk? How would Matty feel about this deal? Marner is so versatile, and great on the PK, which Tkachuk doesn't do.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
I know the stats... Marner has such great chemistry with Matthews though. Would Tkachuk? How would Matty feel about this deal? Marner is so versatile, and great on the PK, which Tkachuk doesn't do.
They played together in NTDP (along with every good USA player '96-'98)

The stars are aligned

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews and Tkachuk were linemates and teammates in the U20 WJC for team USA in 2015-16 that won bronze and the 2014-15 U18 team that won Gold.

They finished #4 and #5 in tournament scoring. Elite Prospects - WJC-20 Stats 2015-2016

They both came up together through the USA Development program.

1657219703556.png

Despite bond, Matthews knows after puck drops Tkachuk won't hold back - Sportsnet.ca

Auston Matthews knows Matthew Tkachuk well enough to know that he’s not in the business of handing out free passes.

Even when you’re a former teammate, current friend and ongoing dinner companion, all bets are off once the puck drops. That’s why Matthews doesn’t expect to be spared from any chirps or physical play during Thursday’s Toronto Maple LeafsCalgary Flames game at Scotiabank Arena

None of it was a surprise to Matthews, who saw Tkachuk perfect the art of getting under an opponent’s skin during their time together at the U.S. national development program. He was already well adept at doing it even as a teenager. “That’s something that he feeds off of, obviously. I saw it first-hand for two years,” said Matthews. “I think he’s just a guy that you love to have on your team and on your side, and a guy you hate to play against. I mean he just likes to compete out there".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad