My argument for trading Marner

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Letting Marner/Matthews go from Toronto would be a mistake (obviously excluding an unbelievable offer).

Having them locked up, whatever the cap hit, with Reilly already on discount pretty much guarantees a shot a having success in some capacity for the next 10 years. Another GM should be given a chance to build a roster with them before Marner/Matthews core gets broken.

Reactions: saltming

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
View attachment 564489
Would have been quicker to just click the button.

I know what and where the ignore button is. I'm just over exaggerating my reaction. This thread could have easily just been a post in the Marner thread. Trading Marner is just a bad idea all around. You're not going to get the value he brings, back in a trade and even if you do get a shit ton of cap space, the odds of us not making any mistakes when reinvesting that cap is less than 5%

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nylander has 30 points in 39 career playoff games. De doesn't seem to be a problem there
Judging by his effort and commitment in the waning minutes of game 7, is it safe to say he didn’t want point 31 this past playoff season?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even if you think it’s a good idea does anyone trust Dubas to pull off a trade of such magnitude?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!
I am not saying that a Marner trade couldn't somehow benefit the team but a player like him would never be dealt unless there was an issue between him and the club, which there isn't. Having at least two elite forwards is pretty much essential to winning a Cup. Add to this, Dubas loyalty to his players, and its a non starter. Even if the club had a tank year and Dubas got canned, the next guy is still going to run with AM and MM.

As far as moving the needle, the Leafs were a slightly better goalie away from going to the next round. They don't need to make a monumental change to have more success so a smart Willie move would be plenty. Honestly even though a lot of us support a Nylander trade, they have sufficient other assets to make a real improvement without touching any of the core., it just means sacrificing a bit of the future as the last several Cup winners were happy to do. So many other areas to improve the team that don't require that kind of a deal

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's amazing some still feel this way.

It’s not exactly wrong. I don’t think pointing it out however as any more relevant that the dozen other things we could have done slightly better to advance accomplishes anything though.

We lost by the narrowest of margins. Lots of things could’ve made up that difference.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Judging by his effort and commitment in the waning minutes of game 7, is it safe to say he didn’t want point 31 this past playoff season?
This post is full of bias and really doesn't make sense.
What your interpretation of his effort and commitment are filtered by a bias against him. Imo it's rediculous to say a pro player wouldn't want better stats and increase their worth and try to win a championship.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It's amazing some still feel this way.
They lost game 6 in overtime, where they outshot Tampa 9-5 and game 7 by 1 goal after outshooting Tampa 17-6 in the final period. I don't know how you can look at it any other way. Maybe they get rolled by the Panthers but they definitely had the Bolts by the pubes.

Reactions: kb

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
They lost game 6 in overtime, where they outshot Tampa 9-5 and game 7 by 1 goal after outshooting Tampa 17-6 in the final period. I don't know how you can look at it any other way. Maybe they get rolled by the Panthers but they definitely had the Bolts by the pubes.
Nonsense.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This post is full of bias and really doesn't make sense.
What your interpretation of his effort and commitment are filtered by a bias against him. Imo it's rediculous to say a pro player wouldn't want better stats and increase their worth and try to win a championship.
Playoff effort = When necessary, fight with every thing you have to win a puck battle, create a chance, prevent a chance. When youre down a goal in last 4 minutes of game 7, you cannot pull up and fly by on a loose puck battle in the offensive zone. He made it too easy for the TB defencemen to get the puck out of their end on multiple occasions.

I’m biased because he’s done this his entire career. I shook my head when he did it against Krug in the second Boston series. He actually had four hideous plays in that series, on top the obvious gross play that even you guys see.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Playoff effort = When necessary, fight with every thing you have to win a puck battle, create a chance, prevent a chance. When youre down a goal in last 4 minutes of game 7, you cannot pull up and fly by on a loose puck battle in the offensive zone. He made it too easy for the TB defencemen to get the puck out of their end on multiple occasions.

I’m biased because he’s done this his entire career. I shook my head when he did it against Krug in the second Boston series. He actually had four hideous plays in that series, on top the obvious gross play that even you guys see.

Yeah it's too bad because Nylander has the physical tools to play well defensively but elects not to do so. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I'm sure you have your reasons, but the fact is the entire 5 man unit didn't get the job done.

To counter you precieved fly by in the 3rd,what about the fight and effort to get that breakaway late in the 2nd? Was that lack of effort the way he fought off Foote to get that chance? His back check at the start of the 3rd to turn the 3 on 1 into a 3 on 2? And just watch him fighting in the slot for the puck throughout the game.

Every player will make bad plays or mistakes in judgment, and I'm not saying he did with your "flyby", but to say no effort is wrong and biased.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Marner has art ross potential, you lose that trade every damn time, doesn't matter about cap and return, we gave up the best player in the deal.

Now, the HOPE, is that on their next contracts the two boys take similar deals to what they have now, when the cap has increased because they see what having those massive contracts do to getting them over the hump and keeping talent.

This team now but also add Hyman into the equation? I think they take a bit of a cut to afford a better supporting cast come next contract season, but time will tell.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There are a handful of video game scenarios where you'd be silly not to listen or even pull the trigger but I don't think it's the silver bullet that can solve all your problems without creating new problems.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I remember a time, what feels like not too long ago, when a lot people were all over Marner. That perception has certainly changed. Though in fairness to those posters, Marner has rounded out his play.

I'd keep him for a number of reasons. First , he is a very talented player in his own right, creative offensively and a staple of our PK. Second, while you can make the argument he feeds on playing with Matthews, there's no doubt the two have chemistry. It can be a challenge to find a top-notch winger to play with your franchise centre, particularly when that centre likes to shoot the puck as much as AM.

A guy like him isn't "priceless," but I can't think of any offer that would really entice Toronto into moving him, unless it were a comparable defenseman of some kind.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm sure you have your reasons, but the fact is the entire 5 man unit didn't get the job done.

To counter you precieved fly by in the 3rd,what about the fight and effort to get that breakaway late in the 2nd? Was that lack of effort the way he fought off Foote to get that chance? His back check at the start of the 3rd to turn the 3 on 1 into a 3 on 2? And just watch him fighting in the slot for the puck throughout the game.

Every player will make bad plays or mistakes in judgment, and I'm not saying he did with your "flyby", but to say no effort is wrong and biased.
The only time he does anything is when he has a chance for a cookie. Same with blocked shots. Look at game one, last minute of the first period, just prior to his breakaway chance he elected not to hit the D that fired the puck in and a few seconds later after TB controlled the puck he tries his pencil block.

It’s not accident they don’t win.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The only time he does anything is when he has a chance for a cookie. Same with blocked shots. Look at game one, last minute of the first period, just prior to his breakaway chance he elected not to hit the D that fired the puck in and a few seconds later after TB controlled the puck he tries his pencil block.

It’s not accident they don’t win.
Please define what you mean by cookie

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be against trading him, like I'm against moving most of the core at the moment. It's incredibly rare to find a talent like Marner.

But he's not untouchable. Especially if the Leafs don't advance in the playoffs over the next season or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad