My argument for trading Marner

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Matthews and Tkachuk were linemates and teammates in the U20 WJC for team USA in 2015-16 that won bronze and the 2014-15 U18 team that won Gold.

They finished #4 and #5 in tournament scoring. Elite Prospects - WJC-20 Stats 2015-2016

They both came up together through the USA Development program.

View attachment 565524

Despite bond, Matthews knows after puck drops Tkachuk won't hold back - Sportsnet.ca

Auston Matthews knows Matthew Tkachuk well enough to know that he’s not in the business of handing out free passes.

Even when you’re a former teammate, current friend and ongoing dinner companion, all bets are off once the puck drops. That’s why Matthews doesn’t expect to be spared from any chirps or physical play during Thursday’s Toronto Maple LeafsCalgary Flames game at Scotiabank Arena

None of it was a surprise to Matthews, who saw Tkachuk perfect the art of getting under an opponent’s skin during their time together at the U.S. national development program. He was already well adept at doing it even as a teenager. “That’s something that he feeds off of, obviously. I saw it first-hand for two years,” said Matthews. “I think he’s just a guy that you love to have on your team and on your side, and a guy you hate to play against. I mean he just likes to compete out there".

Yes, but would they have the same on ice chemistry today? Would that pairing work as well as Matthews-Marner? It's a legit question really. Is the team better? I mean, Tkachuk has the opportunity to really help the team in many other ways, and plays a more playoff ready style. Marner on the other hand is a world class passer, and now that's lost on the team.

Anyway, the main point is... you'd have to ask Matty what he'd want here.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Anyone who thinks Tkachuk is a playoff performer might wanna peep his playoff stats before they even think about mentioning him again.

It's a classic case of HFBoards attributing magical skills to a guy who has a playstyle they like.

Reactions: kb

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You can make all the arguments you want but Marner wont be traded this year but next year becomes a very real possibility.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sold

Matthew Tkachuk
Nylander, plus would have to go.
Tkachuk type is the missing piece to get the team over the playoff hump.
Would be an excellent addition. No way Calgary moves him though.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Why the hell would we move Marner to watch him put up 110 points and then win the Conn Smyth? Why do fans moan and cry about how we traded away/lost Kessel, Kadri, Bozak, Hyman, etc when they perform elsewhere after not doing it here, and then want to repeat it again?

Marner is 25. He is not done developing. I don't think as players they have much more to improve, I think it will be playoff hockey where they grow.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Why the hell would we move Marner to watch him put up 110 points and then win the Conn Smyth? Why do fans moan and cry about how we traded away/lost Kessel, Kadri, Bozak, Hyman, etc when they perform elsewhere after not doing it here, and then want to repeat it again?

Marner is 25. He is not done developing. I don't think as players they have much more to improve, I think it will be playoff hockey where they grow.
He also makes 11 million while his comparables make 9 to 9.5 and they produce more than him in the post season. We are a team with three 11 million dollar players and three of the top 6 paid players (or something) while the higgest paid players on Tampa and Colorado rankes 18th. We keep trying to bargain shop... it worked with Bunting and Kampf but it failed with Mrazek and Ritchie. Now we have to find someone to take Mrazek off our hands and have a goalie dilemma. We slowly keep losing depth.

Three years of poor offensive performances by Marner.... he really had had limited success in the post season all together, hopefully he figures it out.maybe on his next contract when he will probably hold out for 16% of the cap.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nylander, plus would have to go.
Tkachuk type is the missing piece to get the team over the playoff hump.
Would be an excellent addition. No way Calgary moves him though.
Did Tkachuk play with Matthews, maybe on the same line at USDTP.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

FWIW:

Matthew Tkachuk is a year younger and only 24 and he just finished 8th in NHL scoring this last season.

Matthew Tkachuk, LW - Cal - 82 games 42 goals 62 assists 104 points

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
FWIW:

Matthew Tkachuk is a year younger and only 24 and he just finished 8th in NHL scoring this last season.

No 2 players develop the same path

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
"The only way this team will get better is by trading good players for worse players." - HFBoards

It isn't that difficult to come up with 3 players who are collectively better than any single player. It is still a team sport even if hockey in Toronto has become a celebration of stars pageant.

FWIW:

He got those numbers with under 18 minutes of ice time a night.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Have we ever had a winger voted best at his position in the league two years in a row? Quite an achievement.

Reactions: kb

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
It isn't that difficult to come up with 3 players who are collectively better than any single player. It is still a team sport even if hockey in Toronto has become a celebration of stars pageant.

A short history of superstar trades in the lockout era:

Joe Thornton traded to the San Jose Sharks for Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart plus a 2008 4th rounder.

Erik Karlsson traded for Josh Norris, Dylan Demelo, Rudolph Balcers and Chris Tierny plus a 1st that turned into Stuzle.

Brad Richards traded at the deadline for Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen, Jeff Halpern and a 4th rounder.

Shea Weber traded for PK Subban

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!
What happens when Matthews sees his buddy traded away? How good is the team when he walks away from the resulting tire fire? Not a good argument there Gord Stellick version 2.0

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
With the potential of Calgary losing Johnny Hockey to free agency then Matthew Tkachuk might not want to resign.

So has anybody suggested Marner to Calgary for RFA Tkachuk to play alongside Auston Matthews.

I've said a thousand times that I'd trade Marner for Brady Tkachuk.

Matthew is better overall player, but Brady brings more size and toughness, and will also put up 30 goals. Throwing a guy like Brady in the top 6 is what we need. 6 minutes of ice time for Wayne Simmonds is not the type of toughness we're looking for.

I also think a guy like Brady would make players like Holl and Engval now accountable when it comes to playing tougher.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I've said a thousand times that I'd trade Marner for Brady Tkachuk.

Matthew is better overall player, but Brady brings more size and toughness, and will also put up 30 goals. Throwing a guy like Brady in the top 6 is what we need. 6 minutes of ice time for Wayne Simmonds is not the type of toughness we're looking for.

I also think a guy like Brady would make players like Holl and Engval now accountable when it comes to playing tougher.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Marner for Tkachuk would be akin to the Rask for Raycroft trade.

But even dumber because we've seen Tkachuk and Marner play in the league already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad