My argument for trading Marner

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
yeah, if there's one thing that's certain, it won't be the current management that makes any major shift in direction on this team.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
They lost game 6 in overtime, where they outshot Tampa 9-5 and game 7 by 1 goal after outshooting Tampa 17-6 in the final period. I don't know how you can look at it any other way. Maybe they get rolled by the Panthers but they definitely had the Bolts by the pubes.
What play caused the game 6 OT goal? Marner throwing a hail mary that was short and picked off by Tampa.... he then was caught flat footed on the counterattack, lost his stick reaching and Tampa scored.

What about last year's Montreal series? Where Marner playing the PK in game 6 could've easily cleared the puck down the ice because Montreal was not pressuring him and instead he tried to throw the puck in the air, I guess to kill more time, and instead flipped it out of play and Montreal scored on the resulting 5-3.

Problem with Marner is that in elimination games he has caused more goal against than he has scored.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
With all due respect you could trade Matthews for the same reasons. Matthews is a great player, but flamed out near the end of the TOR-TBL series.

The truth is Marner is more valuable than the negative picture you paint.
I challenge you to watch all 8 points Marner got in the playoffs, most were beneficiary to playing with Matthews. If Marner was not with Matthews..... I'm not sure he would've got 3 points. Marner is an excellent defensive player, but the man gets lost in playoff hockey because he is unwilling to go the dirty areas.

Matthews was the best player in the series.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
yeah, if there's one thing that's certain, it won't be the current management that makes any major shift in direction on this team.
I guess we can all be thankful for that. The thought of Dubas making a major move is pretty scary.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!

Marner and matthews shutdown kucherov all serie
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!

1- game 4 get a -2 because of 2 empty net goal during a game all the team was trash...

2- marner and matthews played most of the time against kucherov line and how many pts at 5v5 he get? 3 and was on the ice for 8 goal against... he get a impact to shutdown best offensive weapon of tampa.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I challenge you to watch all 8 points Marner got in the playoffs, most were beneficiary to playing with Matthews. If Marner was not with Matthews..... I'm not sure he would've got 3 points. Marner is an excellent defensive player, but the man gets lost in playoff hockey because he is unwilling to go the dirty areas.

Matthews was the best player in the series.

I challenge you to understand the greater meaning of my post, and not my casual comparison.

Reactions: kb

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Marner represents this team perfectly.

We can't trade him. He is the current Leafs.

We should embrace him, just like we embrace regular season superiority and playoff failures.

Marner = Leafs.

Go Minnie Go!!!

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I challenge you to understand the greater meaning of my post, and not my casual comparison.

Sure.. why don't you elaborate then? You said Matthews flamed out, like Marner. This isn't even close to being true.

In game 5 game winning goal, Matthews created the turnover at center ice by backchecking and throwing a hit, he pivoted without hesitation to offense and created the 2-1 and scored the rebound goal.

In game 6, when the team was down 2-0 he won the faceoff, went to the net and tipped the point shot that cut the Tampa lead to 1 goal and the game eventually went to OT (Marner didn't have a point this game and had the OT giveaway that led to the loss).

In game 7, it was his touch pass to Rielly that created the only goal the leafs scored in the 2-1 game.

In game 6, Matthews had 9 hits, 65% face-off win percentage and 6 shots.
In game 6, Marner had 0 hits, and 3 shots
In game 7, Matthews had 6 hits, 61% face-off percentage and 4 shots.
In game 7, Marner had 2 hits and 0 shots.

Looked forward to your explanation how Matthews flamed out just as Marner.

Reactions: kb and freshwind

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Doubt anyone trades Bedard though. He's been putting up numbers similar to McDavid and he is among the youngest eligible for the draft. 2 months out from missing it like Matthews and Tavares.

He's still 16. It's a shame the World Juniors got cancelled. Wanted to see what he could do as a 16 YO, even McDavid struggled then. He put up 5 points in the 2 games prior to it being cancelled.
Michkov also. A club can lose the lottery and still win. He is locked up in Russia until 25-26 so a club could get him and still suck bad enough to get Kiviharju the next year. If I am Seattle, AZ or the Habs I am looking at exporting some veteran talent next year because these guys are both looking like franchise forwards with a crazy upside.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Moving him woukd be a mistake now even though he's overpaid. But they do need to change the dynamic with the forwards and that's going to mean Dubas is shown the door.
I don't even think he's overpaid,. it's just that he was signed pre-covid. Look at Panarin for example, very very similar contracts and production.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't even think he's overpaid,. it's just that he was signed pre-covid. Look at Panarin for example, very very similar contracts and production.
And one was signed at his peak while the other signed before really entering his peak. People whine, but let's see at the end of his contract versus any comparable and see how it worked out.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I really think Marner is a lifer, Matthews might decide to ditch but Marner is a 15 year player here.
Interesting.....considering Matthews signed a contract before reaching RFA and getting an opportunity to talk to other teams, he surely would've received offersheets of more than 11.6 million. Meanwhile Marner reached RFA status, fielded offersheets and then re-signed. For all we know, no offersheets were better than the contract offered by the leafs.

Matthews sure catches alot of flack because he's American.

Everything we know about the Marners is that Mitch should be given captaincies, highest pays ... and the biggest spotlight. I don't think loyalty is their priority.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Sure it could...all depends on the moves made after that.

Really? So there are #1 goalies out there?

While it is possible they could address most of those areas there is no guarantee they address them all.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
There could be a perfect storm where a Marner trade makes sense.
I thought the Drysdale draft would have been one of those times, when Ottawa had soooo many picks and young players to chose from.
But you’d definitely need at least one bona fide blue chipper in there, plus lots.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'd probabaly never do it but if I did

Mitch Marner + Justin Holl + Alex Kerfoot

JT Miller + Tyler Myers + Tanner Pearson + 1st 2022(15th overall) + 1st 2023 + 3rd 2023 + 4th 2023

Leafs would have to retain about 1.2 of Kerfoots salary to even up the money

The Leafs then pkg the 25th 15th and see what the Devils would also want to move the 2nd overall

Slavkofsky would be a nice get 6'4" 220 and if his performance in the olympics is anything to go by the kid is ready to play with the big boys, not going to say he has a mean streak but he's not afraid to use his size to impose his will, and he's only going to get stronger(just 18 atm), has really good wheels gets to the top gear in a hurry, but has some work to do on his edges, he has an NHL shot hard and very accurate to go along with a pretty set of mitts, he sees the game well. The Slovaks won the bronze with great team defence and a lot of discipline he was just the best player on his team but also named the tourney's MVP It will take him some adjustment time but playing with Matthews gives him a big leg up, he's not MM but there is nothing to dislike about him. His favourite NHL team? yep you guessed it the Maple Leafs.

Bunting Matthews Slavkovsky

Tavares Miller Nylander

Pearson Kampf Zach Sanford (UFA)

Knies Douglas Engvall

Reilly - Brodie

Muzzin Myers

Gio Liljegren

Sandin

Maybe have a chat with Holtby?????

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Any and every players is available as long as the return is good.
Trading Marner should be an option for the MGT if the return package make sense.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad