Dreger: Multiple teams interested in Conor Garland - TOR, BOS, NJD, COL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
At this point I wouldn't offer more than Debrusk + Lyle (or someone like this) for Garland. Debrusk has more goals, makes less money and plays less TOI.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
At this point I wouldn't offer more than Debrusk + Lyle (or someone like this) for Garland. Debrusk has more goals, makes less money and plays less TOI.
Why would Canucks make this deal? There’s no real perk to making that trade. Garland is on a decent contract. There has to be something in it for us to deal him. This is not it.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Why would Canucks make this deal? There’s no real perk to making that trade. Garland is on a decent contract. There has to be something in it for us to deal him. This is not it.

Thats why I don't think a deal can get done between them. Debrusk + a 2nd or a solid prospect is pretty fair value for Garland but whats the point on their end? It would make more sense from Boston's standpoint because Debrusk has requested a trade. They are pretty close to comparable players so really it only makes sense if nucks really want to shake things up, want to add more size, or if he ruffles some feathers in the locker room.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
To NJ:
Conor Garland
Jason Dickinson
2023 2nd round pick

To VAN:
Pavel Zacha
Reilly Walsh
2023 4th round pick
Why in the world would Canucks be sending a 2nd? I think you have it on the wrong side… Canucks won’t be trading any high picks. If anything we will hang on to Dickinson (if that’s why you think we owe more)? You’d be getting the best piece in the deal, garland!

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If Garland isn’t traded before the deadline I could see the Avs going hard after him. At that point they could take Garland on without sending any unwanted cap back to Vancouver.

So in the off-season, without any cap going back, what would the Nucks want for him?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If Garland isn’t traded before the deadline I could see the Avs going hard after him. At that point they could take Garland on without sending any unwanted cap back to Vancouver.

So in the off-season, without any cap going back, what would the Nucks want for him?
Likely a 1st, same-ish to what we want now. Even though if we move Boeser there’s lesser need to trade garland. We are not really shopping him, it’s more other teams are inquiring.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Likely a 1st, same-ish to what we want now. Even though if we move Boeser there’s lesser need to trade garland. We are not really shopping him, it’s more other teams are inquiring.

The ask is only a first? Seems very reasonable. Would Nucks fans consider something like a 2023 first+Compher+2022 third?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Thats why I don't think a deal can get done between them. Debrusk + a 2nd or a solid prospect is pretty fair value for Garland but whats the point on their end? It would make more sense from Boston's standpoint because Debrusk has requested a trade. They are pretty close to comparable players so really it only makes sense if nucks really want to shake things up, want to add more size, or if he ruffles some feathers in the locker room.
Connor Garland is significantly better at ice hockey than Jake Debrusk :facepalm: They're not "pretty close" at all, especially when you consider contracts.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
To NJ:
Conor Garland
Jason Dickinson
2023 2nd round pick

To VAN:
Pavel Zacha
Reilly Walsh
2023 4th round pick
Don’t want Garland. Devils need some heavy players like a Nichushkin . Garland is a very good player don’t get me wrong and normally would be welcomed with open arms but is not a good fit with the rest of the Devils forwards.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Well most fans will say a top 15 1st… so likely a 1st + decent prospect (considering Avs will be a very late 1st.

Or swap for a top 4 D

I'd be wanting a prospect with that first (given we gave up a top ten pick last year and Colorado's will be no where near that spot), and personally I don't see us taking on another roster forward.

That’s fair, I suppose from an Avs perspective it would matter what prospect would be targeted with the first. For example would a prospects such as Ranta, Foudy, Kaut, Bowers or some other similar ~C level prospect + another pick and no cap going back move the needle, or is it more of a hold on for a 8-15 overall pick in this draft?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Connor Garland is significantly better at ice hockey than Jake Debrusk :facepalm: They're not "pretty close" at all, especially when you consider contracts.

well, except he isnt.

Garland has never topped 40 points and 1x scored more than 15 goals in 4 seasons
DeBrusk has 2x topped 40 points, and scored more than 15 goals 4x in 5 seasons

Garland is getting painfully overrated and is tissue paper soft

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The ask is only a first? Seems very reasonable. Would Nucks fans consider something like a 2023 first+Compher+2022 third?
I wouldn't be interested as a Canuck fan. The entire point of moving out top 6 wingers is to free up cap space to address the very weak defense. So it would make no sense to trade a winger making $4.9, for a lesser winger making $3.5. I understand the value is in the picks, but the value to the Canucks is in the picks and the cap space created to address other holes. Weakening the team and only clearing $1.4 in cap would be putting the team back several years - IMO. From a value point of view it isn't terrible, but from a team need point of view a late 1st in next years draft is 4 years away from having any impact and replacing Garland with JTC does nothing to help in the mean time.

Reactions: Perratrooper

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
well, except he isnt.

Garland has never topped 40 points and 1x scored more than 15 goals in 4 seasons

Garland is soft? I don't think you have ever seen him play.

He is small, but very strong on the puck, and plays very well in the corners/boards.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
well, except he isnt.

Ah, I found someone who not only doesn't watch hockey, but also can't be bothered to look at the "Games Played" column when basing his opinions solely on boxcar stats.

Saying Garland is soft is absolutely hilarious. Concrete confirmation you have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: zcaptain

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts

Wouldnt the Avalanche target Podkolzin instead?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The only thing I liked about Benning is he had a depth chart of every team in the league where he viewed the players. I hope new management has the same with a list of targets that are young with speed and skill. For each position, and they go hard for them as to me that is more of following a plan.

Example:

Lafrenier - Newhook - Lysell
Kakko - Necas - Othmann
Kravtsov - Mercer - Kupari
Guenther - Byfield - Caufield

Chychrun - B. Clarke
Provorov - Schneider
Byram - Faber
L. Hughes - Grans

You get the point, I’m not saying that’s my list as it was off the top of my head, but there are some guys in there that should be in JR’s speed and skill plan.

Then you target them accordingly. Start making calls in order of priority and see if they want any of your assets available? For these types of players (for the most part) picks should be available to acquire them

He wrote on a whiteboard dude. Surely there are more sophisticated ways of ranking, evaluating, and prioritizing player acquisitions than smudging a whiteboard all day. That should've been embarrassing for Benning, lmao.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Garland all day long over DeBrusk - not even close for me. He's an even-strength line-driver who makes things happen and can play an incredibly pesky two-way game. His counting totals this year are hurt by a sub-10% shooting percentage and piss-poor PP results. His even-strength usage and production are similar to Taylor Hall's. His 58 even-strength points over the last 2 seasons on bad teams with 2nd line ice time and shooting under 10% still rank 59th in the entire NHL among forwards. He can be an engine of a 2nd line.

It's cool to see DeBrusk turn things around and I'm not hear to tell Bruins fans what they can or should trade him for but the sudden influx of comparisons to DeBrusk are silly and revolve almost completely around an 8-game stretch where DeBrusk has scored 8 goals on 30.7% shooting. Nobody was making this comparison the previous 8 games when he had zero goals.

They are different levels of player and the returns will be significantly different if they are both traded.

Reactions: Cogburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad