Proposal: MTL & STL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Evans is 26, and will hit UFA in 3 years

He's not what a rebuilding team should consider a "keeper"

He can very well be part of the rebuild. The habs are not planning on rebuilding for many years. Probably just 1 more tank year.

Evans also hasn't played enough games to be a proven quantity so his value right now is not the highest. He should have a lot more value in a year or two. So trading him right now makes no sense.

If the habs are going to trade a center, it will be Dvorak since he is a proven quantity and worth a lot more.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Bolduc isn't a center, he plays LW at ES and sets up in the right circle on the PP looking to unleash a bomb of a one timer. He's also not even remotely available for trade unless you've got the magical solution to our LD woes and Eds ain't that.

Need a time machine to transport me to Thursday.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Makes no sense for the blues. Habs should change Evans to Romanov and that may get the Blues attention.

boxofshame.gif

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
That's not what the trade is

They're getting an upgrade at LD, and a versatile bottom 6 forward, while also dumping Scandella

The last thing the Blues need are more bottom 6 forwards. Edmundson is best suited on a 3rd pairing. It's true the Blues need help at LHD but Eddy isn't the answer. The Blues also need to dump Scandella but it's not going to cost Bolduc.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He can very well be part of the rebuild. The habs are not planning on rebuilding for many years. Probably just 1 more tank year.

Evans also hasn't played enough games to be a proven quantity so his value right now is not the highest. He should have a lot more value in a year or two. So trading him right now makes no sense.

If the habs are going to trade a center, it will be Dvorak since he is a proven quantity and worth a lot more.

I disagree with everything you just said

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't think either team wants their old D back, so this deal is a non-starter on both sides.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
A friend is a big Montreal fan, so I watch them a lot. Edmundson is pretty much the same player. The current Blues' coaching staff completely lost faith in his play against teams that play with quickness. Even if some fans want him back because they're nostalgic for the Cup year, there's no way the coaches do.

Also, I like Evans, but he would not be in the Blues' top 9. No "probably" about it. Definitely.
After re-signing Perron, he'd be your 10th best forward.
Injury during the season, etc. He's good depth and relatively cheap.
Edmundson is still much better then Scandella at this point.
They are pretty much the same player, but Scandella doesn't have the physicality.

Makes no sense for the blues. Habs should change Evans to Romanov and that may get the Blues attention.
'may' haha no way the habs touch this

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
No thank you. If we're trading Bolduc I'd rather add and go big for someone like Chychrun. Plus Evans really doesn't do anything for the Blues. I'd take anyone from the Blues top 9 over him.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The last thing the Blues need are more bottom 6 forwards. Edmundson is best suited on a 3rd pairing. It's true the Blues need help at LHD but Eddy isn't the answer. The Blues also need to dump Scandella but it's not going to cost Bolduc.
I'd agree with you he's best suited on a 3rd pair, but that's an insane luxury. At 50% retain, 1.75M, he's a huge bargain and insurance if injuries occur.
However, him and Petry were one of the best 5v5 duo in the league when paired together. With the right partner, he can be a steady and physical top 4 on a good team IMO.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No thank you. If we're trading Bolduc I'd rather add and go big for someone like Chychrun. Plus Evans really doesn't do anything for the Blues. I'd take anyone from the Blues top 9 over him.
With Perron signed, true.
However he's also clearly ahead of anyone after that.
With his speed and versatility, he's not someone you necessarily go out of your way to get, but he's quality depth. Little bit like Lehkonen but at center.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I really don't get why Montreal would even consider this. Bolduc is a very good prospect, but its not like Montreal doesn't have quality QMJHL prospects from the 2021 NHL draft. Maybe they really like him, but the rest of the deal is worse.

Montreal traded Scandella to St. Louis, fans know that Edmundson is way more of a veteran leader (as well as being cheaper and better when healthy). There's zero indication that Montreal will be moving Savard either. Plus Montreal needs to retain on Edmundson AND give up Evans? Unless you think Bolduc has a realistic path at being a 1st line center, its not worth it.
This is Evans and Edmundson - there is nothing about either one of those players that you move a player with a realistic path to a #1C - the most difficult position to find in hockey and you want that for Evans and Edmundson?????

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Edmundson is probably a bit better then the last time you saw him in St.Louis. He has a lot more experience under his belt since.
yeah...he missed nearly all of last season with a major back injury, which should severely limit his trade potential and value. your "he's probably a bit better" is a good line for last offseason but certainly isn't current information.

to add the context you seem to be missing in your argument: this is a guy the blues benched during the cup final, twice. they took him to arbitration in the following offseason, reluctantly signed him to a 1 year deal, then moved him before the start of the season in a package for Justin Faulk. i'd have a hard time imagining Armstrong wants him back, even if it comes with cap savings for the blues. another team might see the value or want to roll the dice on how well his back can handle the NHL, but it won't be the blues.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This is Evans and Edmundson - there is nothing about either one of those players that you move a player with a realistic path to a #1C - the most difficult position to find in hockey and you want that for Evans and Edmundson?????

You completely and utterly missed the point. The point is that there's no reason for Montreal to trade Evans and Edmundson at 50% for C/W 2021 Draft QMJHL prospect who had a worse season than their own C/W 2021 Draft QMJHL prospect and a more expensive and worse LD in Scandella.

Realistic path isn't likely or probable or even something you bet on.

Reactions: viceroy

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You completely and utterly missed the point. The point is that there's no reason for Montreal to trade Evans and Edmundson at 50% for C/W 2021 Draft QMJHL prospect who had a worse season than their own C/W 2021 Draft QMJHL prospect and a more expensive and worse LD in Scandella.

1657049608022.png

Bolduc scored more goals in the regular season than any player in the CHL (not just the Q) that started the season as an 18 year old or younger, including some dude named Connor Bedard. He would be no one's consolation prize.

The point being "completely and utterly missed" in this thread is that most Blues fans (and probably their management, frankly) believe that this team is a 22-24 minutes, all situation, mobile LHD away from Cup contention. You don't trade away your best organizational prospect for what would essentially be an upgrade on your bottom D pair when you still haven't filled your one need yet.

1657049843884.png

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

I didn't miss the point at all. It was quite clear that you don't see the value of moving a 4th line C and a 3rd pairing LHD for a return that includes Bolduc, as you stated "Unless you think Bolduc has a realistic path at being a 1st line center, its not worth it." And I'm pointing out that Evans and Edmundson aren't the players teams trade for in exchange for a player with a realistic path to being 1st line C

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
After re-signing Perron, he'd be your 10th best forward.
Injury during the season, etc. He's good depth and relatively cheap.
Edmundson is still much better then Scandella at this point.
They are pretty much the same player, but Scandella doesn't have the physicality.

'may' haha no way the habs touch this

To be clear, when I said Edmundson is pretty much the same player, I meant as when he was with the Blues, not pretty much the same player as Scandella. Not that they're too different in impact, either, but I was specifically responding to the idea that he'd improved or evolved significantly since his time in St. Louis.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I like how everyone is glossing over the Habs retaining 50%. That's two years of a top 4 dman at 1.75 million. That's seems like insane value.
A lot of fans don't seem to see the value in retention. A top 4 D at 1.75 for 2 seasons is huge value. Maybe he's not what the Blues need, I'll defer to their judgment on this, but judging the deal based only on the guys involved and not the retention is unwise.

I get why STL fans consider they need a high-end LD rather than Edmundson, but there is value to the offer.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
A lot of fans don't seem to see the value in retention. A top 4 D at 1.75 for 2 seasons is huge value. Maybe he's not what the Blues need, I'll defer to their judgment on this, but judging the deal based only on the guys involved and not the retention is unwise.

I get why STL fans consider they need a high-end LD rather than Edmundson, but there is value to the offer.
Not as long as it includes trading our top prospect.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
To be clear, when I said Edmundson is pretty much the same player, I meant as when he was with the Blues, not pretty much the same player as Scandella. Not that they're too different in impact, either, but I was specifically responding to the idea that he'd improved or evolved significantly since his time in St. Louis.
Yeah, wasn't sure.
He didn't really evolved, but he's more steady. He's very consistent and he won't put your team in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad