Proposal: MTL Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
20 games? That’s roughly the same sample size before he received his contract. I’d be riding how he has done those 20 games for sure.

Jake Allen has played 53 games as a Hab and people apparently think he’s worth a first rounder based on his incredibly pedestrian numbers over that time, so I wouldn’t be brushing off the sample size that quickly

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
We help you, you help us.

To Edmonton: Jake Allen + Ben Chairot

To Montreal: 2022 1st + Xavier Bourgault + Koskinen or Smith's contract

And for the Oilers fans thinking Allen isnt better than Smith and Koskinen, I can guarentee you he easily is.

Wouldn't give more than two 2nd round picks for Allen and Chairot. Some team might give more but I sure as hell wouldn't if I werethe Oilers. Allen is better than Smith this year (who isn't?) but Allen has been worse than Koskinen. Chairot would improve our D for sure. You don't give away assets like a 1st and Bourgault to just make the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round... that would be stupid. The acquisition of Allen and Chairot do not make the Oilers that much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghtti

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He shouldn't piss away top assets for mid level replacements. That won't help the Oilers in the short term or the long term.

1st + Bourgault should be used for a legit starter, not a back up and a pending UFA mid pairing guy.
We probably could take Smith back and retain on both of ours?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

And for the Oilers fans thinking Allen isnt better than Smith and Koskinen, I can guarentee you he easily is.
g

Oilers giving that up they want a better goalie.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
The Oilers need a starter. Retaining on Allen or Chairot doesn't turn them into players the Oilers need.
Have you seen chariot man handling Draisatl last night?

people are sleeping on Chariot defensive impact , especially in the playoffs. Physical, fast, nasty. He would honestly help the oilers a lot.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Have you seen chariot man handling Draisatl last night?

people are sleeping on Chariot defensive impact , especially in the playoffs. Physical, fast, nasty. He would honestly help the oilers a lot.

Maybe he would but I wouldnt give up a first for a stay at home dman unless he was elite at it. And I mean really elite

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Maybe he would but I wouldnt give up a first for a stay at home dman unless he was elite at it. And I mean really elite

He'd be the ripple effect. Shores up your defensive pairs. He wouldn't do anything spectacular, but he'd make it extremely hard on the opposition to get near the net, and he'd make sure their forwards pay the price. Would give you a physical guy and a puck moving defenseman on each pairing. With you guys adding Kane for likely only this year, I figure that Holland has essentially pushed his chips all in, but
I don't know if that's enough for the Oilers without adding a goalie.

But adding Chiarot you'd have defense pairings of:

Nurse - Barrie
Chiarot - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci

He's a proven playoff horse, I think he'd help them a lot, and as a Habs fan living in Edmonton, I'd like to see the Oilers do well - I still remember how crazy it was when we were racing horses at Northlands Park, and you could hear the crowd/noise.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
The Oilers need a goalie badly. The tandem of Smith and Koskinen will get them nowhere come playoff time (if they make it).

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Change either the pick or the prospect to a 2nd and take out the cap dump, and I think it’s a fair deal. You aren’t going to get a starting calibre goaltender (low end) and a top-4 D for cheap.

The ask on Chiarot is a 1st. EVEN IF he gets that, a 2nd for Jake Allen is laughable and I think you know that. Also, Koskinen is not a cap dump, he's an expiring contract and there is a huge difference between those two things.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A starting goalie this time of year you'll be paying thru the nose
Lol. No one is paying through the nose for Jake Allen. Montreal acquired him for a 3rd in Sept 2020. Allen is now older and putting up the worst numbers of his life. Allen isn't even a starter. He's Montreal's backup, who is playing more than he should, because Price is injured.

Reactions: TFHockey

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
An elite stay at home defenseman will cost several first. A single 1st from the Oilers will not be enough to acquire such a player.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol. No one is paying through the nose for Jake Allen. Montreal acquired him for a 3rd in Sept 2020. Allen is now older and putting up the worst numbers of his life. Allen isn't even a starter. He's Montreal's backup, who is playing more than he should, because Price is injured.
Lol. Not talking about Allen. He is not a starting goalie. A backup is his limit. Any goalie if starting caliber will cost a ton this time of year

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I am talking about an elite stay at home defenseman who apparently is not going to be Chiarot. Since when Chiarot is worth several first.

You said the same thing about Toffoli. No on is giving up several 1sts for Chiarot.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
You said the same thing about Toffoli. No on is giving up several 1sts for Chiarot.
I think a lot of posters here has problem understanding. I referred to the cost of an elite stay at home defenseman. I am not talking about the cost to acquire Chiarot. The other poster was mentioning about a 1st to acquire an elite stay at home defenseman. I am saying that 1st is not enough. Multiple 1st are going to be needed to get an elite stay at home defenseman.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think a lot of posters here has problem understanding. I referred to the cost of an elite stay at home defenseman. I am not talking about the cost to acquire Chiarot. The other poster was mentioning about a 1st to acquire an elite stay at home defenseman. I am saying that 1st is not enough. Multiple 1st are going to be needed to get an elite stay at home defenseman.

This is a thread about Chariot and Allen. Why are posters stating what the price of some hypothetical superior players are?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

He's better than Smith, but Koskinen has been better this year, easily.

I wouldn't trade 2 first in this deal. Not even close. I wouldn't be happy about trading a single first in that deal to be honest. No interest in Chairot at the rumored cost to acquire.

Let's be real here, Allen for Koskinen 1 for 1 would be a good move for Montreal. They get a goalie that can do what Allen has done this year, and they get to let him walk at the end of the year. If the Oilers make this deal, they get another backup goalie, albeit one who has been a starter in the past, but they get that guy for 2 years instead of having his cap space and contract spot open up this fall. Could Montreal get a mid round pick for Allen this summer? I'm not so sure.

Mike Smith could be a smarter move for Edmonton, so they still have only one guy signed for next year and not two and still have a chance to upgrade the starter spot, but Montreal shouldn't do that as the guy is 40, injured constantly, and has another year on his deal. It goes against the real reason Montreal should do this deal at all - dumping Allen.

Counter offer - trade Chairot to someone else for a 1st if you can get it, we'll swing back at the deadline if you haven't yet. Take out any marquee prospects or picks. Jake Allen for Mike Smith and a 4th round pick. 4th round pick becomes a 3rd if Edmonton wins a playoff round and Allen appears in at least 3 games in that round.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

I wouldn't trade 2 first in this deal. Not even close. I wouldn't be happy about trading a single first in that deal to be honest. No interest in Chairot at the rumored cost to acquire.

Let's be real here, Allen for Koskinen 1 for 1 would be a good move for Montreal. They get a goalie that can do what Allen has done this year, and they get to let him walk at the end of the year. If the Oilers make this deal, they get another backup goalie, albeit one who has been a starter in the past, but they get that guy for 2 years instead of having his cap space and contract spot open up this fall. Could Montreal get a mid round pick for Allen this summer? I'm not so sure.

Mike Smith could be a smarter move for Edmonton, so they still have only one guy signed for next year and not two and still have a chance to upgrade the starter spot, but Montreal shouldn't do that as the guy is 40, injured constantly, and has another year on his deal. It goes against the real reason Montreal should do this deal at all - dumping Allen.

Counter offer - trade Chairot to someone else for a 1st if you can get it, we'll swing back at the deadline if you haven't yet. Take out any marquee prospects or picks. Jake Allen for Mike Smith and a 4th round pick. 4th round pick becomes a 3rd if Edmonton wins a playoff round and Allen appears in at least 3 games in that round.

First, Allen is better than Koskinen, hands down. Secondly, we are not the team in trouble, you guys are, big time. So if no interest from your side to adress your goalie and defense situation, thats up to you, pretty sure MCDrai disagree on the matter... ;)

Its simple, you either watch the ship sinking or you do something while its still time. But you wont get quality players for free, THAT is the reality.

We will ship Chairot elsewhere for a 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

stopped reading at this doozy bit of reality right here

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Jake Allen has played 53 games as a Hab and people apparently think he’s worth a first rounder based on his incredibly pedestrian numbers over that time, so I wouldn’t be brushing off the sample size that quickly

What he's "worth" is whatever a GM is willing to pay.

The sample size of performance fans focus on is irrelevant.

I could see ample reason why Holland would view Allen as worth a late 1st... the Oilers are probably the team in the league to whom Allen & his contract would be of the most value IF (& granted its a big if) they see him as an upgrade over Smith and/or Koskinen.

As nice as Bourgault has progressed, is he really a cant-move prospect for a team that has McD/Drai/Hyman/RNH locked in for years and Holloway/Mcleod/Lavoie/Savored as fwd prospect depth?

Either way, Next week will be interesting for Edm. I'm quite curious as to how Holland tries to fix his offseason mistakes.

Missing the playoffs or exiting early is bad enough, but doing so without making an aggressive move, or two, to shore up obvious holes? Hard to see that going over well with McD & Drai...

Of the other G & D out there that could be a fit, who do you think is realistic they target, and what price would they pay?

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad