Proposal: MTL - NYR Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
how about

Emelin, Juulsen, 1st 17 for nash @ 25% retain

are u crazy?? I dont want nash at 6M$, we could find better options than him. And then habs add Juulsen, potential top 4 D, and a 1rst????? hahahah no way. That first can realistically be a top 10 pick. So yeah no god damn way!!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
dude, at 8M$ no one will acquire him for free, meaning they wont pick him up, say the price was a 7th round pick cuz of his salary.

I am sure if most teams had the cap room they would.

According to cap friendly teams with over $8M in cap space are Sabers, Sens, Oilers, Jets, Devils, Flames, and Hurricanes.

Other than the Flames/Jets who need to sign key RFAs I would say the rest would easily take on Nash for two years at the cost of a 7th round draft pick

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Nash doesn't have zero value, he has negative value. 36 points for nearly 8 million dollars is brutal - let's optimistically say he has a healthy full season for ~55 points - now he has zero value. Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Rangers to trade him and retain half his salary though, defeats the purpose a bit.

The only reason the original proposal is askew is if you determinedly think McDonagh is a better defenseman than Pacioretty is a winger, and I'd give the slight edge to McD there.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Not petitioning for this trade cause I don't see how it fits either teams needs, but Rick Nash has average over 30 goals a year, even over the last three with two injury plagued, down years

And when I say three in going by games played

Over his last 248 gp - 104 goals

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
i see! wasnt realy aware of the LD depth, emelin was basicly a throw in for cap dump! would you consider taking desharnais as a cap dumb and retain a little more?

Not a bad deal, would consider it for sure. This is the kind of value the Rangers need in order to be enticed to move Nash - 1st, prospect, cap dump at a minimum, otherwise they'd keep him and let him bounceback, which is a good bet to happen for sure. 30 goals and very solid defense is very possible

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I dont see any team esp budget teams paying that much money. Dream on.

Look at what kessel fetched despite producing more, younger and less injury prone. And he didnt have a ******** No Canada trade lmao.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
are u crazy?? I dont want nash at 6M$, we could find better options than him. And then habs add Juulsen, potential top 4 D, and a 1rst????? hahahah no way. That first can realistically be a top 10 pick. So yeah no god damn way!!

with bergevin parting ways with subban to bring a 31 year old D man for 10more years, his idea is certainly not to win the cup in the 5years.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Nash - Plekanec - gallagher

is what is making me willing to part good pieces.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
whose idea is to not win cups?? *****?

Nash - Plek - Gally
we lose our 2nd best prospect + a top 10 to top 30 pick while paying 6M$ for the next 2 years. No thanks.
vs
lehkonen - plek - gally
We keep what could be our 2 best prospects (after the graduation of Sergechev) while giving a shot to a very good and legit prospect in lekonen in the top 6. Plus we keep enough cap hit to go all in the playoffs should the opportunity arise.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
whose idea is to not win cups?? *****?

Nash - Plek - Gally
we lose our 2nd best prospect + a top 10 to top 30 pick while paying 6M$ for the next 2 years. No thanks.
vs
lehkonen - plek - gally
We keep what could be our 2 best prospects (after the graduation of Sergechev) while giving a shot to a very good and legit prospect in lekonen in the top 6. Plus we keep enough cap hit to go all in the playoffs should the opportunity arise.

im also part of that vision, but with this vision, subban is still a habs.

bergevin is greedy. hes looking for an immediate cup.
lehkonen is still very young and could still flourish playing top minutes in the A. nash would do far better on a 2LW than lehkonen could in a rookie season. you have to give te receive not longer than 1 season ago nash has a career high of 42goals with almost a ppg, solid in his own end.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I don't want Nash. I don't want a player at 7.8mil per x2. Clearly he is on his way down in points. This is EXACTLY why you want to sell him RIGHT NOW. If you thought he would produce two more years at 42 goals you would keep him. The best thing the Habs can do is let you pay Nash 7.8 x 2 and produce 15-20 goals per. Habs wont have to worry about the Rangers for 2 years..
Nash is yours, the Nash contract is yours, Habs pass and you can keep NASH.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I don't want Nash. I don't want a player at 7.8mil per x2. Clearly he is on his way down in points. This is EXACTLY why you want to sell him RIGHT NOW. If you thought he would produce two more years at 42 goals you would keep him. The best thing the Habs can do is let you pay Nash 7.8 x 2 and produce 15-20 goals per. Habs wont have to worry about the Rangers for 2 years..
Nash is yours, the Nash contract is yours, Habs pass and you can keep NASH.

i'd clearly ask for retention, and 2 years of nash is better than 2 years of lehkonen! lehkonen has a bright future, but has yet to play a game on a NA ice, some AHL experience would clearly favors him. the kid is still very young and 5'11 180pound is not big at all, players comes faster to you on a smaller ice (captain obvious) imo he needs time! but who knows we'll see pretty quick if the offseason can end ffs. lol

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
awful for both teams but from a habs perspective,we need offense why in the world would we trade our captain whos our best offensive guy for a rich nash whos 5 years older and as much as i would want mcdonagh doubt rangers would trade him unless for a huge overpayment and id like to see beaulieu play with weber to help him improve.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i'd clearly ask for retention, and 2 years of nash is better than 2 years of lehkonen! lehkonen has a bright future, but has yet to play a game on a NA ice, some AHL experience would clearly favors him. the kid is still very young and 5'11 180pound is not big at all, players comes faster to you on a smaller ice (captain obvious) imo he needs time! but who knows we'll see pretty quick if the offseason can end ffs. lol

funny cuz the habs are still a very young team set for the future and the present. Sure weber is 4 years older than subban but the habs were already set on the D for the future, so a younger Subban doesnt affect that. Sergechev, Beaulieu, Pateryn and Juulsen can all play in the top 4 within the next 3 years.

And if the habs come out weak and MB and MT are fired, and for whatever reason the habs want to blowup, they can tank and sell off so many assets for a very quick rebuild. Price, Weber, Pacs, Radulov, Plekanec, Petry, Emelin and Markov. Thats more than enough assets.

Either way I dont see tha habs window closing out bcuz of the subban trade. If anything it opens it up wider for this year.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
funny cuz the habs are still a very young team set for the future and the present. Sure weber is 4 years older than subban but the habs were already set on the D for the future, so a younger Subban doesnt affect that. Sergechev, Beaulieu, Pateryn and Juulsen can all play in the top 4 within the next 3 years.

And if the habs come out weak and MB and MT are fired, and for whatever reason the habs want to blowup, they can tank and sell off so many assets for a very quick rebuild. Price, Weber, Pacs, Radulov, Plekanec, Petry, Emelin and Markov. Thats more than enough assets.

Either way I dont see tha habs window closing out bcuz of the subban trade. If anything it opens it up wider for this year.

the window is about, cap space. price and pacioretty by themself will command easily 16M, after you got galchenyuk getting a huge raise, weber 7.9, thats alot of salary coming

edit: just little calcultation.

Pacioretty: was under paid due to his injury and the risk factor, hes now captain, normaly players who produces being underpaid, usaly gets overpaid. my guess is pacioretty will take a little discount.
7.5M - 8M (lets say 7.5)

Price: well price is price. hes going to get paid.
9M easy.

Weber: 7.8M

Galchenyuk: he had an amazing end of season, trained very hard and off season, will get more 1C responsability and will most likely play with pacioretty and radulov ( if not full time radulov, he will at least on the powerplay)
my guess is Galchenyuk, if no injury, will have a monster season of 35-35. forsberg who is a similar prospect has galchenyuk who has produced more than him just signed 6M, Galchenyuk will likely get little more due to taxes and Montreal factor.
lets say 6.5M - 7M if he feels generous.

Only here with 4 core players, you go over 31M long
i know you will tell me plekanec will be off the book, emelin, desharnais, markov.
but the 4 contracts that i just named, weber is gonna decline, pacioretty will decline. if no injury, i see price being top tier till at least 35-36.
these contract will be heavy if the cap doesnt go up.
we do have some good youngster coming up but logicly with the cap and our prime players right now we have around 2-3years in our cap window.

the weber trade basicly said:

we are aware of this and we are going all in. so yes i'd be will to part juulsen and future 1st consideration who will most likely be a late 1st + DD out of the team for a guy with experience like nash we would still need to work around the cap to make it work but its doable

Last edited:

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
McDonagh is an incredible rearguard.

Emelin isn't a number 1 or 2 so he doesn't help the Rangers.

Pacioretty/McDonagh value wise is fair. Needs wise it's a complete mess for both teams.

The value is tilted in Montreal's way.

Nash<<Pacioretty
Emelin<<<<<McDonagh

Nash for Emelin isn't fair value wise & NYR need Nash a hell of a lot more than Emelin.

Rangers don't take this in a flash. McDonagh's point totals don't matter. It's his defensive capabilities. Let's also look at the garbage he's surrounded with on that D core.

You think if he wasn't playing with Subban or Weber that he'd hit 50-55 points?

I really don't understand what you're trying to prove here.

nash for 2 seasons at 7.8>>>>>>>>>>patch for 3 seasons at 4.5

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
An intimate observer. At any rate, I think Pacioretty for McDonagh straight up is a pretty fair deal, but acknowledge that it is harder to find D over Wingers. With that said, does:

Pacioretty & Beaulieu

for

McDonagh

Work?

What kind of stupidity is this?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
the window is about, cap space. price and pacioretty by themself will command easily 16M, after you got galchenyuk getting a huge raise, weber 7.9, thats alot of salary coming

edit: just little calcultation.

Pacioretty: was under paid due to his injury and the risk factor, hes now captain, normaly players who produces being underpaid, usaly gets overpaid. my guess is pacioretty will take a little discount.
7.5M - 8M (lets say 7.5)

Price: well price is price. hes going to get paid.
9M easy.

Weber: 7.8M

Galchenyuk: he had an amazing end of season, trained very hard and off season, will get more 1C responsability and will most likely play with pacioretty and radulov ( if not full time radulov, he will at least on the powerplay)
my guess is Galchenyuk, if no injury, will have a monster season of 35-35. forsberg who is a similar prospect has galchenyuk who has produced more than him just signed 6M, Galchenyuk will likely get little more due to taxes and Montreal factor.
lets say 6.5M - 7M if he feels generous.

Only here with 4 core players, you go over 31M long
i know you will tell me plekanec will be off the book, emelin, desharnais, markov.
but the 4 contracts that i just named, weber is gonna decline, pacioretty will decline. if no injury, i see price being top tier till at least 35-36.
these contract will be heavy if the cap doesnt go up.
we do have some good youngster coming up but logicly with the cap and our prime players right now we have around 2-3years in our cap window.

the weber trade basicly said:

we are aware of this and we are going all in. so yes i'd be will to part juulsen and future 1st consideration who will most likely be a late 1st + DD out of the team for a guy with experience like nash we would still need to work around the cap to make it work but its doable

No the habs window isnt just 3 years. Its longer than than.
First off, mtl isnt no budget team, they can manage the cap, sign free agents and have a bottom 6 of like 5 young players (Mc, Danault, reway, hudon, de la rose and so on) + shaw. Thats pretty cheap. Dont forget the cap is more likely to rise than not esp after the expansion. And if the damn cdn $ can find its way, the cap is gonna sky rocket.

Second, Weber is not gonna decline in the next 3 years. He will start declining in like 5 years or so. Look at Gonchar (had his best years at 31+), they are similar to one another in size, more or less, and the way the both produced (slapshot, physical, PP, etc).

Third off, Pacs nor price will regress for quite some time. Pacs still has around 6 good years in him, price has prob more.

Fourth off, you dont even consider the improvements from Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, the rise of some our prospects esp segechev. The continual growth and development of our younger players will def expand that window. So yeah, the window will def not be shut down in 3 years and the subban trade doesnt affect it much.

Personally I dont like the trade, Subban is obv better BUT if weber can mentor sergechev and Beaulieu and make them better players, then its a win for the habs. After all, subban is the last player u want to mentor younger players and doesnt do much to help them improve. He's a first-me, look at me type of player.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
To NYR:
Pacioretty $4.5 until 18-19
Emelin $4.1 until 17-18

To MTL:
McDonagh $4.7 until 18-19
Nash (50% retained) $3.9 until 17-18

Have included Emelin to make the cash work, but I believe Beaulieu could be included with a cap dump as an alternative if necessary.

So often on hf we read 'that's the worst offer I've ever seen', but this one is really up there.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
No the habs window isnt just 3 years. Its longer than than.
First off, mtl isnt no budget team, they can manage the cap, sign free agents and have a bottom 6 of like 5 young players (Mc, Danault, reway, hudon, de la rose and so on) + shaw. Thats pretty cheap. Dont forget the cap is more likely to rise than not esp after the expansion. And if the damn cdn $ can find its way, the cap is gonna sky rocket.

Second, Weber is not gonna decline in the next 3 years. He will start declining in like 5 years or so. Look at Gonchar (had his best years at 31+), they are similar to one another in size, more or less, and the way the both produced (slapshot, physical, PP, etc).

Third off, Pacs nor price will regress for quite some time. Pacs still has around 6 good years in him, price has prob more.

Fourth off, you dont even consider the improvements from Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, the rise of some our prospects esp segechev. The continual growth and development of our younger players will def expand that window. So yeah, the window will def not be shut down in 3 years and the subban trade doesnt affect it much.

Personally I dont like the trade, Subban is obv better BUT if weber can mentor sergechev and Beaulieu and make them better players, then its a win for the habs. After all, subban is the last player u want to mentor younger players and doesnt do much to help them improve. He's a first-me, look at me type of player.

you seem to forget 30 other team exist and alot of them have better prospect pool and growing youth than us. because we have been an mediocre team for years.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I dont think ALOT have a better pool. The habs have a strong, though def not the best one by any stretch, pool of prospect with a nice mixture of old and young veterans. The window, as i keep saying, is def not just 3 years.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I dont think ALOT have a better pool. The habs have a strong, though def not the best one by any stretch, pool of prospect with a nice mixture of old and young veterans. The window, as i keep saying, is def not just 3 years.

The habs current window is the length of Price's contract. He wants a cup badly and unless Bergevin shows him a better supporting cast, I have a feeling he'll move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad