Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Sucks to lose PK. No doubt. Great person, philanthropist, groundbreaker in many ways, electrifying player who's contribution to the community is unparalleled, a unique character you don't see very often......But holy **** Habs fans, we just acquired Shea Weber! Iconic leader, first choice for any Team Canada roster, a physical beast with the best shot in the league, and genuinely feared by other teams. The guy singlehandedly outscored (or close) the entire Montreal defense last year. Habs are a better team NOW than they were two days ago in my opinion. That contract isn't so great though. We'll see what happens in 4-5 years. One thing is for sure. Our PP just got a helluva lot better!!

Happy with the trade personally, just wish we could have both :)

People complain about lack of good hockey trades nowadays. Well here's one for both teams imo!

Last edited:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This was clearly personal with the Habs and PK. MB waited to long or asked for too much from Oilers and then panicked and took Weber before PK's no trade kicked in. Sadly MB could have gotten a much better package from Oilers probably Hall and the 4th or Hall and Draisaitl. Oh well Weber is still a stud so even though I wouldn't have traded PK for Weber it's not the end of the Habs now either.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I live in Europe and woke up to this. Someone please tell me this is a joke, right? WTF are the Habs doing?

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Yeah probably bad value for PK, but I don't think Webers contract is all that bad for Montreal, as long as he plays 3 or 4 years for them, they can buy him out or trade him to a budget team with no risk or recapture penalties. I think Nashville will have the problems in a few years.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
dont be so overdramatic. reality is shaw and webber are a better team then having subban. its about balance. habs were brutal defensively.

How does making a marginal move on D, and getting an overrated grinder make the Canadiens better? They're still lacking depth offensively, and need more quality defensemen.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
Weber has gone way under the radar because he is Nashville or a lot of people only follow one or 2 teams. I'd have him on my team over Subban every day and twice on sundays. Yes the contract is something else but there always seems to be a way around that. And 30 is not old guys, esp for a dman. Come on.

Everything Subban does is a distraction to the team. Wether his intentions are good are not, the guy is just an attention monger. From the clothes to his on ice flailing, even the 10$ mil donation was a big attention grab. He could have just as well donated privately and not made a big deal about it but it was just as much about him as the Charity. Who knows what actually goes on in the locker room but I wouldn't be surprised if his presence alone rubbed guys the wrong way. Drama Queen. Might work in Southern US where Bettman wants all the attention he can get for the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
3rd : Weber's salary in 2 years will drop to 6M with no bonuses.
Who does MTL have to sign in 2 years ? Carey Price.
Need I explain more about the importance of this point ?

You're assuming Bergevin won't be doling out money between now and Price's renewal, to adding more bottom players, which he has shown a continuing propensity for. So any cap savings in the hands of Bergevin are likely wasted.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
montreal lost the trade by a little bit. any speculation as to why they dealt subban?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I would have asked Polle to add Johansen

And then he would have been like...oh crap this dude actually has a brain.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
If the Habs were close to winning the Cup, I would better accept this trade but they are not close. And in 3-4 years from now when they might (big maybe) actually be close, Subban will have surpassed Weber.
So it could be a decent trade in the immediate (but totally pointless because Weber doesn't make them Cup contenders), but a bad trade for the future.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Been a Habs fan for 50 years. That's it. I'm livid. Too enraged to comment except to agree that Bergevin is at par with Houle and Milbury in the moron HOF.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
With Pacioretty 27, Price 29, of course we're looking for a cup.

It doesn't mean that BargainBin will actually make the moves necessary to get forward talent, but it's certainly what we should be going for regardless if it's Subban or Weber in the mix.

I know man but honestly MTL is not going for a cup with that roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad