Proposal: MTL/NJD Matheson,Xhekaj,#26 for #10 and a future 3rd

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
From a fans perspective from both sides
Then that’s exactly
The Tske
No.
No, that just means it's a bad idea.

If both fanbases say "I see what you're going for, and it does fill a need, but that seems awfully expensive", then maybe a proposal makes sense.
In this case, #10 doesn't fill a crucial need for Montreal, and Matheson doesn't fill one for NJ, so there just isn't a fit. It's just a bad proposal.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
There's really ZERO reasons why the Habs would do this, unless their goal is to be the next Buffalo Sabres and to declare their current rebuild a failure by already trading away their young players for futures.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
They can then move #26 and Matheson for a goalie like Markstrom

I realistically don't see them moving both players, but do think a 3-way trade would make the most sense.

Matheson + WPG 1st + Pens 2025 2nd + Dvorak/Armia -> NJD for 10OA

Matheson + WPG 2nd 2025 -> BOS for one of Ullmark/Swayman

Habs get two top 10 picks to draft some combo of Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla/Sennecke/Parekh/Yakemchuk

Boston solidifies their D corps (Lindholm/McAvoy | Matheson/Carlo) and will have a 2nd rd pick next year.

New Jersey solves their goaltending, adds a depth forward and a 2nd rd pick - and they still get a late 1rd this year which they can either use to draft, or move for another bottom 6 guy and/or LHD

ALTERNATIVELY

CGY Trades 9 + 28 + DAL 2nd + Markstrom to Montreal for 5OA, their own 2025 1st back.

Montreal trades Markstrom 50% retained + DAL 2nd to NJD for 10OA.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I realistically don't see them moving both players, but do think a 3-way trade would make the most sense.

Habs get two top 10 picks to draft some combo of Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla/Sennecke/Parekh/Yakemchuk

Boston solidifies their D corps (Lindholm/McAvoy | Matheson/Carlo) and will have a 2nd rd pick next year.

New Jersey solves their goaltending, adds a depth forward and a 2nd rd pick - and they still get a late 1rd this year which they can either use to draft, or move for another bottom 6 guy and/or LHD
Or NJD cuts out the middleman, keeps their top 10 pick, doesn't take on a cap dump and simply offers a 2025 1st for Ullmark.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Or NJD cuts out the middleman, keeps their top 10 pick, doesn't take on a cap dump and simply offers a 2025 1st for Ullmark.

Doesn't make much sense for Boston at that point - why would a team that is trying to remain relevant and retool on the fly around Pasta/McAvoy/Lindholm/Carlo take a fully futures deal when they have 0 draft picks this year before the 4th round?

They would want the 10OA (but can't afford to add anything to make it make sense for both sides) or they would want a player that makes them ostensibly better today (also unlikely given both teams are trying to 'compete now')

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Until the anchor contracts are gone in 3 years, honestly I don't see them contending for anything. With or without WIFI and Matheson. The two high picks this year hopefully slide in for that 3 year timeframe. Also allows us to see how others do on the PP with Matheson gone, like Guhle.. Not like it could be much worse.
Oh yes and 3 more years of mediocrity and you’ll also have to give Dach, Newhook, Reinbacher, Roy, Montembeault and whoever you pick now at 5OA new contract.

Suzuki will be 28, Caufield 27. You’ll have a bunch of high end players who are labeled as losers and tired of perpetual tanking who will be asking out. The good news is you will be able to flip those for good draft picks so you will have new shiny toys to droll over every summer.

I always find it funny when I read online threads where you dump whatever good players you have for more draft picks thinking the guys you want to keep long term for your core will be ok to be in a perpetual tank as if the team employs robots and no humans/players

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Doesn't make much sense for Boston at that point - why would a team that is trying to remain relevant and retool on the fly around Pasta/McAvoy/Lindholm/Carlo take a fully futures deal when they have 0 draft picks this year before the 4th round?

They would want the 10OA (but can't afford to add anything to make it make sense for both sides) or they would want a player that makes them ostensibly better today (also unlikely given both teams are trying to 'compete now')
Tell you what then:

If boston wants Matheson.

Matheson to boston

Ullmark to NJD

2025 NJD 1st to MTL.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

or if MTL wants to get 10th overall that badly

To MTL: 10th overall, Alex Holtz

To NJD: Kaiden Guhle, Samuel Montembault

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Thanks for the trolling...
I don't understand why 10th overall is a "magic bean" with a only a 35% chance of playing 100 games and not worth 23 year old Xhekaj because he has 95 games played but 5th overall isn't a magic bean and is clearly worth WAY more than 23 year old Kevin Bahl and his 148 games in the NHL..... I'm the one that's trolling?? Bruh, you started it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Future reference for all MTL fans:

Pieces on MTL that would actually be meaningful to NJD and their approximate valuations to NJD.

Montembault (1G): mid 1st
Guhle (2LD): top 10 pick
Newhook (3C): mid 1st
Dvorak (4C) at 50%: 4th
Evans (4C): 3rd
Anderson (Miles Wood role) at 50%: 2nd
Beck (3C prospect): late 1st/early 2nd
Mesar (3rd line prospect): mid 2nd
Kidney (depth C prospect): 3rd

You are more than welcome to keep all of your players. If you are going to make proposals tho, please make them involving things NJD actually has a need or use for

Reactions: Deam78

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
More than understandable.

But there is only 1 LD on MTL that actually fits NJDs needs, timeline, and has enough value to fetch 10th overall. And that's Guhle.
Yeah but you know the Habs kinda need Guhle also ya know? He has also been playing on the wrong side. I want to actually see what Guhle does on the side he is more comfortable playing in.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah but you know the Habs kinda need Guhle also ya know? He has also been playing on the wrong side. I want to actually see what Guhle does on the side he is more comfortable playing in.
I 100% agree.

Montreal should 100% keep Guhle. I think they'd be dumb to trade him.

I think he's the only LHD they've got that's a guarantee to be a quality NHL hockey player.

Struble, Harris, Xhekaj is good depth variety to have, but crowded development and all likely top out as bottom pair guys.

Matheson older, and honestly I don't see him as very good. I don't think he's effective on the PK, on the PP, or 5v5.

Hutson has a ton of upside, but a ton of risk as well.

But hey, if MTL is convinced that Matheson, Hutson, Xhekaj is a surefire stud LD core, like a lot of MTL fans talk about those players, +harris and struble, then we'll give you a top 10 pick for him.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Oh yes and 3 more years of mediocrity and you’ll also have to give Dach, Newhook, Reinbacher, Roy, Montembeault and whoever you pick now at 5OA new contract.

Suzuki will be 28, Caufield 27. You’ll have a bunch of high end players who are labeled as losers and tired of perpetual tanking who will be asking out. The good news is you will be able to flip those for good draft picks so you will have new shiny toys to droll over every summer.

I always find it funny when I read online threads where you dump whatever good players you have for more draft picks thinking the guys you want to keep long term for your core will be ok to be in a perpetual tank as if the team employs robots and no humans/players
This team will still be losing until you get all of Price, Gallagher and Anderson off the books in 3 years and have their money to spend. Nothing wrong with having 2 high draft picks on ELC at that time. You are losing a player who will not be there by then and a prospect who may or may not be your bottom pair defenseman by then.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

ALTERNATIVELY

CGY Trades 9 + 28 + DAL 2nd + Markstrom to Montreal for 5OA, their own 2025 1st back.

Montreal trades Markstrom 50% retained + DAL 2nd to NJD for 10OA.
I want the stuff thar you’re on.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This team will still be losing until you get all of Price, Gallagher and Anderson off the books in 3 years and have their money to spend. Nothing wrong with having 2 high draft picks on ELC at that time. You are losing a player who will not be there by then and a prospect who may or may not be your bottom pair defenseman by then.
Looks good on paper. Doesn’t work like that in real life

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Montréal getting bent here. No way I do that deal.
Difference between 26 and 10 is not a 50+ NHL defenseman + young physical damn with upside
The thing that really hurts about it is the “3rd” throw in.

I’d say the tenth OA this year, next years top 12 protected?

I do think the Habs would be smart to move Matheson this offseason. Just had his career season, move on before he comes back down to earth. I think they should keep Xhekaj. That's a pretty soft roster without him. Of course if you can get #10 you do it, but no way NJ does that when they have such a clear need and they lose their best trade chip without addressing it.
Hamilton and Matheson is lethal.

I’d do 26, Matheson, and a prospect or two plus a pick for 10th OV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad