Proposal: MTL/NJD Matheson,Xhekaj,#26 for #10 and a future 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The thing that really hurts about it is the “3rd” throw in.

I’d say the tenth OA this year, next years top 12 protected?

Hamilton and Matheson is lethal.

I’d do 26, Matheson, and a prospect or two plus a pick for 10th OV
Siegenthaler-Hamilton is already lethal, sporting a 55% xGoals share over the last 3 years.

NJD is looking for a shutdown, high quality PK partner to fill 2 roles:

Be able to play a defensive minded pair in normal minutes alongside Nemec, and in other situations play a true shutdown role in very difficult minutes alongside Marino.

Matheson is awful on the PK, and not good enough defensively for NJDs needs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No.

In this case, #10 doesn't fill a crucial need for Montreal, and Matheson doesn't fill one for NJ, so there just isn't a fit. It's just a bad proposal.
When both fanbases are not sure............nor thrilled..................there is probably a deal that could be made.

Doesn't mean the fans are gonna like it......................Take the BS deal with Subban/Weber neither fanbase thrilled, but there we had it.

Again.............what was proposed here, no way I do this, from the Habs fans perspective. Bottom line is it's gonna hurt if they want to get into the Top 10 over and above their pick at 5

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I’m not sure Montreal is interested in moving Matheson or Xhekaj or even worst both in the same trade.

I would love to get the 10OA as well, but at some point Montreal needs to start building a competitive team and trading away players that can contribute now means they will never ever competitive.
Montreal would love to move Matheson now or by the end of the season while his value is high.
On future defense they have:

Reinbacher - Huston
Mailloux - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble - Harris

And they still have Matheson, Savard, and Kovacevic in the line-up at the moment. They won't miss him, if anything now is his time to go, he shouldn't waste his prime during a rebuild.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Montreal would love to move Matheson now or by the end of the season while his value is high.
On future defense they have:

Reinbacher - Huston
Mailloux - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble - Harris

And they still have Matheson, Savard, and Kovacevic in the line-up at the moment. They won't miss him, if anything now is his time to go, he shouldn't waste his prime during a rebuild.
Yeah no team that respect themselves would have a D corp where Guhle is the one with the most NHL experience at 22 years old barely 100 games played.

Looks good in la la land but in reality that can’t work. None of the guys you listed is ready to play the role you put them (in the top 4) except Guhle.

I simply don’t understand how you can look at this D corp and tell yourself its a good idea to ice that.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
When both fanbases are not sure............nor thrilled..................there is probably a deal that could be made.

Doesn't mean the fans are gonna like it......................Take the BS deal with Subban/Weber neither fanbase thrilled, but there we had it.

Again.............what was proposed here, no way I do this, from the Habs fans perspective. Bottom line is it's gonna hurt if they want to get into the Top 10 over and above their pick at 5
It's way overkill.
It's this time of the year when pick value are at a premium. At 10 you pick a guy like Parekh and you hope he scores 60 pts as an offensive defenseman in the NHL one day. That's what Matheson is right now. No way we add 26 + Xhekaj on top, that's just overkill and it exposes our young defense even more.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's way overkill.
It's this time of the year when pick value are at a premium. At 10 you pick a guy like Parekh and you hope he scores 60 pts as an offensive defenseman in the NHL one day. That's what Matheson is right now. No way we add 26 + Xhekaj on top, that's just overkill and it exposes our young defense even more.
Only difference is if you draft a Matheson at 10, he will be younger, cheaper and under more team control. There is also the possibility he could be better, he could be worse, so if you are a rebuilding team there needs to be incentive to go with the older less team controlled one.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Only difference is if you draft a Matheson at 10, he will be younger, cheaper and under more team control. There is also the possibility he could be better, he could be worse, so if you are a rebuilding team there needs to be incentive to go with the older less team controlled one.
That's one way to put it but historically it's the other way around. You need to pay more for the proven asset.

That's because the possibility of the pick to be worse is greater. With the proven asset there's next to no risk involve and you can make it fit your 'now' window.

Without even considering we'd be given 26 + Xhekaj... In my opinion, while the return is great for our rebuild, were giving up absurd value. I'd much rather just trade Matheson for a 22-26th pick.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's one way to put it but historically it's the other way around. You need to pay more for the proven asset.
If you are competing. And think yeah we can win the cup in next 3 years.
If you are rebuilding and think it could take 3 to make playoffs it doesn’t make sense. Hence, why mtl wants to move Matheson to make room for their youth. A 900 k player vs 5 mil.
I mean there has to be a reason it was suggested by a mtl fan instead of nj being like how can we get Matheson.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i don't get the big fuzz around xhekaj. hutson is one late growth spurt away from becoming the more impressive physical speciman.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Circumstance/timing plays a huge factor. If you have the 10th pick but want to make the playoffs because you have been rebuilding for 5-10 years, you might make this move.

The other layer to Matheson's value is how attractive he is as a value contract. 60+ pts from the back end and $4.875M. That's one of the better contracts in the NHL for 2 years. If a team trades for this, it might allow room to even add another piece.... and the Habs could take a 1 year cap dump back too.

Doubt the Habs are desperate to trade Matheson. Gorton/Hughes want to move up the standings but also will not sacrifice their long term vision at the same time.

I'd do Matheson and Jets 1st for 10th. The add on would not be Xhekaj. Maybe we can talk other pieces. Matheson alone is worth 15th ish IMO. Probably not 10th straight up but it's close. Adding the Jets 1st does make it fair. Adding Xhekaj makes it too much but I guess you got to over offer to make fans happy on HF boards.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs gives too much.

NJ fans says it’s ok value wise because they don’t get what they need (No.1 goaltender) but can use Matheson to get one.

Honestly Xhekaj is staying in Mtl and is the extra value in the deal.

Three way deal could be a good option though :

To Calgary : Matheson +3rd pick

To NJ : Markstrom + 26OA

To Habs : 10OA

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs can't afford loosing Wifi they would get ragdoll every game

Matheson alone is worth 15th or at the very least 15-20. That's underselling it. He's probably on one of the best value contracts in the NHL.

Adding the Jets 1st does make it more than fair in terms of value. Adding Xhekaj on top is going too deep/desperate.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Circumstance/timing plays a huge factor. If you have the 10th pick but want to make the playoffs because you have been rebuilding for 5-10 years, you might make this move.

The other layer to Matheson's value is how attractive he is as a value contract. 60+ pts from the back end and $4.875M. That's one of the better contracts in the NHL for 2 years. If a team trades for this, it might allow room to even add another piece.... and the Habs could take a 1 year cap dump back too.

Doubt the Habs are desperate to trade Matheson. Gorton/Hughes want to move up the standings but also will not sacrifice their long term vision at the same time.

I'd do Matheson and Jets 1st for 10th. The add on would not be Xhekaj. Maybe we can talk other pieces. Matheson alone is worth 15th ish IMO. Probably not 10th straight up but it's close. Adding the Jets 1st does make it fair. Adding Xhekaj makes it too much but I guess you got to over offer to make fans happy on HF boards.
Yeah I think Matheson’s value is somewhere between 15-20OA. You add the 26OA and you get a spot from 10-13 imho.

The problem is not the value but mostly the fit. Not many teams that are drafting from 10-13 are Loki g for a Top 4 offensive dman with 2 years left on his contract. That’s the problem.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs gives too much.

NJ fans says it’s ok value wise because they don’t get what they need (No.1 goaltender) but can use Matheson to get one.

Honestly Xhekaj is staying in Mtl and is the extra value in the deal.

Three way deal could be a good option though :

To Calgary : Matheson +3rd pick

To NJ : Markstrom + 26OA

To Habs : 10OA

That's more realistic IMO. Devils add a vet goalie who will help their team and also get a late 1st to still try to hit with.

The only tricky part is does the Flames want Matheson? What direction are they heading in? If they want a rebuild, we could take Matheson out and give the Flames their 1st back.

I also like trying to make the deal work by considering retention for Markstrom. No doubt in my mind the Devils would like that.

Another option:

To Calgary: Flames 1st and Avs 2nd (Flames retain 50% on Markstrom). Habs have other pieces to help the Flames pool depth. a B+ prospect trending well (Kapanen maybe). I doubt other teams offer a 1st, 2nd, and B+ for Markstrom.

To NJ: Markstrom at 50% retention and Jets 1st. Not enough? There will not be a grade A prospect added but we can consider B+ prospects. We have lots of them.

To Habs: 10th OA.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
That's more realistic IMO. Devils add a vet goalie who will help their team and also get a late 1st to still try to hit with.

The only tricky part is does the Flames want Matheson? What direction are they heading in?
Yeah exactly. And helping Calgary to trade away Markstrom can bite us back with the Calgary/Florida 2025’s 1st situation.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Shucker-Draft-value-768x725.png

According to this draft pick value chart, the #10 is worth 565pts and #26 297pts.

Matheson is worth between a #15th and #20th. Let's make an average of 17th, so 395pts.

297 + 395 = 692

Worst case scenario he's worth a 20th, so 350pts

297 + 350 = 647

Then add Xhekaj who, if you put him on the market, the 31 NHL GMs will call for him.
Because of the demand for this type of player, he has a good value

So no, it's not fair... sorry.

Reactions: HabsAddict

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Arber Xhekaj has done nothing to show he can be a "strong number 5 on a goof team"

Right now he's a weak number 7 on a shit team
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

It's the NHL we're talking about, not a hockey pool...

If Hughes put Xhekaj on the market, 31 GMs will call to inquire about him, and there's a reason for it.

And it's not because he's gonna help them win their hockey pool.

Reactions: HabsAddict

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
View attachment 879961

According to this draft pick value chart, the #10 is worth 565pts and #26 297pts.

Matheson is worth between a #15th and #20th. Let's make an average of 17th, so 395pts.

297 + 395 = 692

297 + 350 = 647

Then add Xhekaj who, if you put him on the market, the 31 NHL GMs will call for him.

so habs fans say matheson is worth a pick around 15 to 20 and then it's an objective fact?

i wouldn't consider matheson if i had to pay a first round pick, as he doesn't fit stylistically a need for the devils. here is another alternative fact:
297 + 237 = 534 (best case) to 297 + 176 = 473 (worst case)

Reactions: thefutures

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
View attachment 879961

297 + 395 = 692

297 + 350 = 647

Now factor in the fact that NJ doesn’t need or want Matheson.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

It's the NHL we're talking about, not a hockey pool...

If Hughes put Xhekaj on the market, 31 GMs will call to inquire about him, and there's a reason for it.

And it's not because he's gonna help them win their hockey pool.
31 gms would inquire about him (agreed as it's their job)

how many would consider him at the value some hfboard fans have attributed to him? if the ask is above a 3rd round pick i assume most gms would look for other ways to fill the role xhekaj is able to play.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Yeah no team that respect themselves would have a D corp where Guhle is the one with the most NHL experience at 22 years old barely 100 games played.

Looks good in la la land but in reality that can’t work. None of the guys you listed is ready to play the role you put them (in the top 4) except Guhle.

I simply don’t understand how you can look at this D corp and tell yourself its a good idea to ice that.
The reason you don't understand is because you misinterpreted what I said, which was 'these are the defenseman they have for the future", not this is the line-up they're going to ice opening night.

Matheson had a career year, but he adds nothing to the defensive structure of the team, in fact he's generally a liability. If you watch him play, he makes more mistakes than the average rookie does. He's not saving a D corp like you're making it sound, the guy doing that is Savard and he is remaining with the team. All the reasons you're saying apply to Savard not Matty, and that's the reason he hasn't be traded. For example, Matheson had 62 points, is put primary in offensive scenarios (1.5x more offensive zone starts than Savard) and was -24. While Savard was deployed defensively and -1

Montreal had the 4th most goals by defensemen in the league last year. Mailloux or Hutson could absolutely fill Matheson does as offensive d-man, and if when they make mistakes it'll probably be less than Matheson does, because he's an absolute train wreck. His only upside is his offensive production, which as shown, Montreal already had from their blueline last year even without the addition of their offensive-minded defenseman prospect.

There is absolutely no reason Matheson needs to stay with the team next year. He is doing nothing to save them like you imply. The team already finished 5th last two years in a row, and will miss the playoffs again next year. There's no reason to build it like a contender. As for saying none of the guys are ready to play top 4.. Savard and Guhle will be the top line. Hutson already averaged 22:43 in the games he played last season, Mailloux played 21:14 in his game. They're going to get a shot this year, that's already the plan. That's why they were brought up at the end of the year to get their feet wet.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Draft day trade based on the following scenario....

Habs select Dickinson 5th.

"We have a trade to announce"

Montreal trades Arber Xhekaj, Josh Anderson and the 26th overall pick to the New Jersey Devils for 10th overall pick"

Habs select one of Iginla, Sennecke, Catton (one of them has to be there) with the 10th pick.

Reactions: moegillknee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad