Proposal: MTL/NJD Matheson,Xhekaj,#26 for #10 and a future 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Seems a good deal. Does Xhekaj have a legit chance to be an everyday player though? He has a lot of the qualities the Devils need, but can he keep up with the play?

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
T
I am going by the belief that NJD feel that #10 is too high to offer for a goalie they have interest in.

They would have interest in WIFI to add some cost controlled grit to their LD.

They can then move #26 and Matheson for a goalie like Markstrom

Or use Matheson to move up from #26 to a slightly better pick to get the goalie they want.

Montreal loses Xhekaj but adds 2 potentially good players drafting #5 and #10 and will better fit their timeline than Matheson, while opening the LD to move Guhle to his natural side, and room for Hutson potentially down the road.
This Habs fan passes. Not trading Wifi. His value low now.

Reactions: viceroy

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Can't see why NJ would want Matheson at all, even if it's just to trade him away it's just extra work for Fitz.
I know my fellow Devil fans don't like him but I could see something along the lines of the OP happening but with Anderson with 2 million retained instead of Matheson and Bahl going to Montreal.
Habs would grab this and run, even give the full 50% retention on Anderson if it means unloading his contract while keeping Matheson.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I do think the Habs would be smart to move Matheson this offseason. Just had his career season, move on before he comes back down to earth. I think they should keep Xhekaj. That's a pretty soft roster without him. Of course if you can get #10 you do it, but no way NJ does that when they have such a clear need and they lose their best trade chip without addressing it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am going by the belief that NJD feel that #10 is too high to offer for a goalie they have interest in.

They would have interest in WIFI to add some cost controlled grit to their LD.

They can then move #26 and Matheson for a goalie like Markstrom

Or use Matheson to move up from #26 to a slightly better pick to get the goalie they want.

Montreal loses Xhekaj but adds 2 potentially good players drafting #5 and #10 and will better fit their timeline than Matheson, while opening the LD to move Guhle to his natural side, and room for Hutson potentially down the road.
Assuming your premise...

They could just trade down to say pick 18 then move that pick for s goalie..why g dr t Montreal li s sparrow parts

• Haha
Reactions: jfhabs

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I really don't like this from a Habs POV

Moving a local boy 62 pts defensemen making $4.8M for the next 2 years, plus a young fan favorite proven D that has shown offensive skills and is unique due to huge enforcer abilities on top of pick No26 all for No10 pick and magic beans on the 3rd round.

That's crazy
Yea MTL giving up too much value here. I wouldn't do this at all

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If we look at pick value, the 10th overall pick (354.44 value points in Sound of Hockey's chart) is the rough equivalent of Winnipeg's first, #26 (173.8), and an hypothetical 25th pick (181.8).

Thing is, I think it's pretty clear-cut that Matheson on his own currently holds value at least equal to that of a 20-25 pick in this year's draft given his production, good contract, and everything he does on the ice.

And then you'd add Xhekaj, a physical specimen of a defenseman that is tracking extremely well to be a strong #5 on a good team and has shown nothing but progression the last couple years?

Yeah, no.

Value favors New Jersey quite a bit.

Unless something crazy happens and a guy that wasn't supposed to fall, does. In that specific scenario, perhaps this trade proposal wouldn't be that farfetched.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Habs would grab this and run, even give the full 50% retention on Anderson if it means unloading his contract while keeping Matheson.
For me Matheson is clearly better player and contract but is not needed for NJ and is simply there for value. I think NJ wants pieces they can use and Anderson at a much lower cap hit actually fits that better.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Matheson is sick but also 30 years old so he doesn't fit MTLs timeline so you might as well try to get max value for him after a career year.

For NJD I love this D corps

Hughes - Hamilton
Matheson - Marino
Bahl - Nemec

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
This is the time to sell high on Matheson. He could really help the kids this year but he is coming off of a 62 point season with this year and next under contract at 4.875 million. He will be a UFA after that. I also suspect that with Hutson and Mailloux coming that he will get less power play time, thus giving him less points, thus giving him less trade value.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Montreal has 3 LD:

Xhekaj, Matheson, Guhle

NJD needs a quality PK, shutdown LD who can play tough minutes.

Not an enforcer, not a meh PP QB.

10th overall for Guhle if you're moving out an LD.

If we look at pick value, the 10th overall pick (354.44 value points in Sound of Hockey's chart) is the rough equivalent of Winnipeg's first, #26 (173.8), and an hypothetical 25th pick (181.8).

Thing is, I think it's pretty clear-cut that Matheson on his own currently holds value at least equal to that of a 20-25 pick in this year's draft given his production, good contract, and everything he does on the ice.

And then you'd add Xhekaj, a physical specimen of a defenseman that is tracking extremely well to be a strong #5 on a good team and has shown nothing but progression the last couple years?

Yeah, no.

Value favors New Jersey quite a bit.

Unless something crazy happens and a guy that wasn't supposed to fall, does. In that specific scenario, perhaps this trade proposal wouldn't be that farfetched.
Arber Xhekaj has done nothing to show he can be a "strong number 5 on a goof team"

Right now he's a weak number 7 on a shit team

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Can't see why NJ would want Matheson at all, even if it's just to trade him away it's just extra work for Fitz.
I know my fellow Devil fans don't like him but I could see something along the lines of the OP happening but with Anderson with 2 million retained instead of Matheson and Bahl going to Montreal.
Replacing Bahl with Xhekaj would do incredible damage to our penalty kill.

Our PK is already going to take a hit from Smith going. As bad as he was 5v5, he was an elite PK guy.

losing 2 of our 3 best PK guys and replacing them with who?

Arber Xhekaj cannot kill penalties. And he takes more penalties than anyone else in the league.

So your PK is gonna be
Hamilton, Nemec, Siegs, Marino.

And it's gonna be out there more often.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
As I said it may be too good a chip to acquire only a goalie. In this scenario they get both a goalie and a physical LD
they may need a piece like that to pry away one of the good goalies. if it's too valuable the other team can add. 10oa just seems like the best bet to fix the most dire need for the devils.

Seems a good deal. Does Xhekaj have a legit chance to be an everyday player though? He has a lot of the qualities the Devils need, but can he keep up with the play?
a more offensive macdermid. he seems redundant now that macdermid has term. habs should add a different piece.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
When it's uncomfortable from both sides, then we know it's a decent proposal.

NJ seems to be better using the pick to grab a goalie, that said not sure that goalie is out there.

As a habs fan I would not do this deal either, but it's pretty close to something that could work for both.....
No it is just fanboys wanting to move up in the draft to get a shiny new toy....every year before the draft this happens and so many players turn out to be busts.....Puljujarvi......Juolevi.....Kravtsov.....Kakko....Lias Andersson....Patrick....Turcotte....Boqvist.....Glass....Zadina to name a few.

Reactions: MartyOwns

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
As I said it may be too good a chip to acquire only a goalie. In this scenario they get both a goalie and a physical LD
Arber Xhekaj doesn't fit into the lineup.

The role he would be filling is that of kevin Bahls/ryan graves, to be a high level PK guy, take tough matchups, and play shutdown D

Arber Xhekaj: cannot kill penalties, plays among the easiest minutes in hockey, and is incompetent defensively

See how there isn't a fit?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
he also has all the qualities montreal needs. Value is there, but not trading two dmen for more futures ...habs already have the 5OA and 23 more picks the next two drafts

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The current role NJD needs filled (or upgraded on at least):

a shutdown, hard minutes eating, PKing LHD for 20 minutes a night

Xhekaj is a: horrific defensively, incredibly sheltered, unable to kill penalties, 15 minute a night LHD

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Replacing Bahl with Xhekaj would do incredible damage to our penalty kill.

Our PK is already going to take a hit from Smith going. As bad as he was 5v5, he was an elite PK guy.

losing 2 of our 3 best PK guys and replacing them with who?

Arber Xhekaj cannot kill penalties. And he takes more penalties than anyone else in the league.

So your PK is gonna be
Hamilton, Nemec, Siegs, Marino.

And it's gonna be out there more often.
Do you think that a 23 year old defenseman is a finished product with zero ability to learn and grow as a player?

Marino and Siegs were regular penalty killers when they were in the lineup. Hamilton is okay as well, Nemec will be relied upon with or without Xhekaj on the PK as well. He's also young enough that he can learn to PK himself.

Playing Xhekaj likely keeps MacDermid out of the lineup more. Which of course is a benefit as well.

Reactions: Eegs

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't see this being that appealing to the Devils. 10 usually turns into a good player. 26 is much, much more likely to bust.

If all you're getting back is Matheson (who will take a reduced role considering Devils D) and a #6 / borderline AHL d-man in Xhekaj, I wouldn't be too happy.

Devils should go for a big name goalie or just keep the pick.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
When it's uncomfortable from both sides, then we know it's a decent proposal.

NJ seems to be better using the pick to grab a goalie, that said not sure that goalie is out there.

As a habs fan I would not do this deal either, but it's pretty close to something that could work for both.....
Trotz is apparently shopping a goalie again. I can see that happening. Saros would be ideal for NJ, however I feel Askari’s will be a stud very quickly

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad