Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Yes we do , the roster was absolute piss for 20 years but goalies are also part of the team
I've already seen dozens of posters within the Habs' fanbase reflecting on how Price was overrated, only having a handful of quality seasons, and was insulated by Therrien's (supposedly quality) defensive system and then the talents of Shea Weber.

I never meant to imply that all fans fail to recognize Price's contributions, but it's more common than you assert both in Montreal and across the league.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I've already seen dozens of posters within the Habs' fanbase reflecting on how Price was overrated, only having a handful of quality seasons, and was insulated by Therrien's (supposedly quality) defensive system and then the talents of Shea Weber.

I never meant to imply that all fans fail to recognize Price's contributions, but it's more common than you assert both in Montreal and across the league.
There’s a large group of fans, both inside and outside the Habs fanbase that despised Price because of the attention he was getting in around the league. People weren’t just calling him the best goalie in the league, but the best player above guys like Crosby and that drove people insane. They viewed him as a media hype job when in reality, everyone from coaches, GM’s and players were giving him that label at the time. If you go back to the old Carey Price threads on our forum from around 2016 right until he retired, posters from our own fanbase would sit in his threads day and night just bashing the guy like they were unhappy we had a player of that calibre and it never made sense to me.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
There’s a large group of fans, both inside and outside the Habs fanbase that despised Price because of the attention he was getting in around the league. People weren’t just calling him the best goalie in the league, but the best player above guys like Crosby and that drove people insane. They viewed him as a media hype job when in reality, everyone from coaches, GM’s and players were giving him that label at the time. If you go back to the old Carey Price threads on our forum from around 2016 right until he retired, posters from our own fanbase would sit in his threads day and night just bashing the guy like they were unhappy we had a player of that calibre and it never made sense to me.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
We finished last in the Atlantic last season and all those teams got better besides us so i dont see that changing
If dach is healthy and all the other young guys progresses like 5%, thats a big difference. Maybe even the difference between ending in the bottom 5 versus ending in the bottom 15ish.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
And Vancouver still has ptsd after being "dusted" by the Oilers

I think that AvatarAang guy's a Leafs fan.

When do Canadiens fans anticipate exiting the 'rebuild' phase and starting the upswing? It's going to be really fascinating to see if they pass teams like the Sabres and the Senators.

I'm thinking this upcoming season we'll be a bubble team, just on the outside though. The next two after we'll be a solid playoff team and contenders afterwards.

We finished last in the Atlantic last season and all those teams got better besides us so i dont see that changing

Yeah but Buffalo and Ottawa... you know... Also will DET finally take the next step?

We'll have Dach for a full year.

But will we?

People weren’t just calling him the best goalie in the league, but the best player above guys like Crosby and that drove people insane. They viewed him as a media hype job when in reality, everyone from coaches, GM’s and players were giving him that label at the time.

Also remember the main reason that the post-season with the "play-ins" were best of seven instead of best of five was due to several teams complaining that Carey Price could easily win 3 games on his own in any match-up.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

This place is flooded with tons of Habs fans, smart and well... not so smart ones 😂

Us rational thinking Habs fans can recognize talent and we know how great Price was. It's sad that he never had a decent (slightly above average) lineup in front of him, he was robbed of true greatness IMO.

Anyway, this thread is about Slaf's extension and I think its amazing for both parties involved.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah lets ask Florida fans how upset they are with his contract. At this moment.
Yeah, let's do something irrelevant for the discussion, great idea.

Question: In the case the contract was bad, would they be upset with it currently considering they just won the cup? If the answer is no, this won't prove anything.

Similarly, them being happy with the contract doesn't mean it's a good contract.

But of course, strawmen are easier than discussing the actual points made.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think that AvatarAang guy's a Leafs fan.

I'm thinking this upcoming season we'll be a bubble team, just on the outside though. The next two after we'll be a solid playoff team and contenders afterwards.

Yeah but Buffalo and Ottawa... you know... Also will DET finally take the next step?

But will we?

Also remember the main reason that the post-season with the "play-ins" were best of seven instead of best of five was due to several teams complaining that Carey Price could easily win 3 games on his own in any match-up.
True, we don't know for sure, especially considering his history. I'm hopeful that we'll have him a full year.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
20 goals, 50 points in first full season. Good bet to live up and even surpass that contract. With the cap probably going up eat least by 8 mil by the end of that contract it could be a steal. Best signing of the day.

(Sure, every long term contract is a gamble. How much of his production was due to Caufield and Sazuki? Small sample size, was that one season a blip?) You drafted him high, you already have invested time and draft capital into him, you have to trust your path with this player. Good signing.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's definitely a gamble, but I think it's a pretty good one.

I liked that they swung on skill in this draft, too.

When do Canadiens fans anticipate exiting the 'rebuild' phase and starting the upswing? It's going to be really fascinating to see if they pass teams like the Sabres and the Senators.

The habs should be able to make the playoffs in the 25-26 seasons.

There will be a huge influx of talent from now to the start of that season.

Out: Dvorak, Evans, Armia, Savard, Kovacevic
In: Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Roy, Beck, Kapanen, Farrell

Our 25-26 lineup could look something like this:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov
Caufield - Dach - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Farrell
Anderson - Kapanen - Gallagher
Heineman

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble, Barron

Montembeault
Primeau

Last edited:

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
The habs should be able to make the playoffs in the 25-26 seasons.

There will be a huge influx of talent from now to the start of that season.

Out: Dvorak, Evans, Armia, Savard, Kovacevic
In: Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Roy, Beck, Kapanen, Farrell

Our 25-26 lineup could look something like this:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov
Caufield - Dach - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Farrell
Anderson - Kapanen - Gallagher
Heineman

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble, Barron

Montembeault
Primeau
Man just seeing Anderson and Gallagher still on the roster pisses me off over 10m in cap space on the 4th line 😂

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Not to mention with the tax situation in Quebec its more like 4.8 take home.
That's not necessarily true. Half his paycheck will be taxed in the 53% tax rate assuming that half his pay comes from games based in QC. When he plays on the road, he gets taxed at the rate of the state he plays in (i.e. playing the Panthers and Lightning he would be taxed at their state tax rate, which is 0%). There's a tax treaty between Canada and the US that spells this out, and accountants that make fortunes doing this for players. It certainly will not be minimal, but not as bad as is often made out to be.

What needs to counterbalanced against the tax rate is the alternative revenue streams available to him playing in Montreal as opposed to a market like say Nashville. For example, if he continues to progress at the rate he currently is and in 2 years is a possible 40/40 guy, the endorsement fees he can command are far greater in Montreal as one of the faces if the franchise. Some athletes will start clothing labels, beverage brands, etc. I'm not suggesting he's going to start an empire or anything, just underscoring that there are other advantages that would be available to him, which would more than compensate him for the relatively minor tax increases that he would face.

Reactions: Toene

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's definitely a gamble, but I think it's a pretty good one.

I liked that they swung on skill in this draft, too.

The upswing already started, but a big summer will be 2025 as a bunch of space frees up.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I am happy with this contract, and i dont even see it as a gamble.

The last half season is a short sample, but im convinced he will be a player whose contract will seem like a rebate by the time it is done. I was annoyed that hte habs havent had a 1C since Turgeon or Damphousse and chose to go over Wright, who was projected #1 at the draft, but man am i excited about this guy.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, let's do something irrelevant for the discussion, great idea.

Question: In the case the contract was bad, would they be upset with it currently considering they just won the cup? If the answer is no, this won't prove anything.

Similarly, them being happy with the contract doesn't mean it's a good contract.

But of course, strawmen are easier than discussing the actual points made.
You're really doubling down on Sergei Bobrovsky's contract being bad? The guy who got the Panthers into the Stanley Cup Final last season and was a big reason why they won this season? I pretty sure every NHL team would consider that a good contract.

Getting back on subject (this is about Juraj Slafkovsly, right?), good deal for the player and the team. Looking forward to him helping the Habs become a success once again.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
Bobrovsky winning the cup doesn't change the fact that his contract is bad and that he's not worth the money.
What's the ultimate goal in team sports, winning a championship or have good on paper efficiency?

That's what i can't stand about a hard salary cap. Without it there's no way we'd be having this discussion.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
15 pages of baiting. Slaf still has a year on his elc and will be worth 7 mil in year one of this deal. This isn't like KK where Habs fans were looking to like him despite obvious flaws and lack of progression. Slaf was dominant from about December on. It wasn't a short streak, it was 70% of a season.

He went from third wheel to Nick and Cole to the best player driving the line at times. He was firmly better than Caufield in 2024.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad