Confirmed with Link: [MTL/DET] Habs acquire Steve Ott from Detroit for 6th in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Physicality, yeah. Bring it on. But not at the expense of talent. We added Benn on the back end. We added King up front. We subtracted Desharnais. Habs are no longer pushovers. Stacking the deck with even more beef isn't going to add any goals. Mitchell, despite his endless cold spell, still has a far higher chance at contributing points than Steve Ott.

As for McCarron, he's got the physicality. But unlike Ott, he's more likely to improve and learn the more he plays.

Fair enough, but I really am more enamored with what Martensen brings to the game. And I'm sure the chicks dig him too. :laugh:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
did i mention Andrei79 or "many posters"?

Every time, and I mean every time Bergevin aquires a player, I have to read through wave after wave of posts on how horrible the player is, how dumb the GM is, how we gave too much, how we should've got this player instead, how it's a foxhole move.........

Yet more often then not, the player is decent, plays well, ends up playing well over his head. Bergevin has more often then not, won his trades.

Jaffy, you have made some insightful and well thought out posts, especially on this thread. There should be a sticky next to them. :yo:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Saw Ott's first interview as a Canadien in the locker room. He actually seems like a really nice guy as a person. I like that we now have 3 epic pests on the team with him, Gallagher and Shaw.

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Whether in the 70's as you say or now I never played or should I say wanted to play on a team a specific teammate never knew his role which I am still waiting to see Mikes spot in Montreal. In your mind were is Mike's spot or capabilities with the Canadians?

Depends on how his offense develops at the NHL level. One role that he he (nor anyone else) should ever strive to fill is "fights the Cody McLeods of the word"

Gomez91

Fala!!
Nov 27, 2011
Where I want
Depends on how his offense develops at the NHL level. One role that he he (nor anyone else) should ever strive to fill is "fights the Cody McLeods of the word"

Great Mike won't have to fight the Cody McLeods he can sit on the bench waiting to figure out where his development level will be in the years to come while other prospect in Montreal do the same.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Great Mike won't have to fight the Cody McLeods he can sit on the bench waiting to figure out where his development level will be in the years to come while other prospect in Montreal do the same.

Were you attempting to make a point with this? Prospects should concentrate on fighting goons above being good players?

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Solid game by Ott so far. Great hits delivered.

I was wondering, during his Dallas years: How was he scoring goals? Were they thrash goals, one timer, deviations, wrist? I didn't know he was that prolific.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Love what Ott did with Miller, When Miller gets under the skin of Price and Petry it is good to have a guy like Ott to keep him accountable.

I'm not sure why there was so much backlash on the trade. Ott makes this team better than a 6th round pick.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Maybe we can try this when Radu is back :

Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Shaw
King - Ott - Martinsen

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Davidson - Benn

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Fair enough, but I really am more enamored with what Martensen brings to the game. And I'm sure the chicks dig him too. :laugh:

Well... Ott-1, Lshap-0. Gotta give him credit for a very good game.

And I had no idea what we were getting with Martensen, but he was much better than expected!

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Love what Ott did with Miller, When Miller gets under the skin of Price and Petry it is good to have a guy like Ott to keep him accountable.

I'm not sure why there was so much backlash on the trade. Ott makes this team better than a 6th round pick.

Thumbs up for that last dance with Miller and on the night.

You could see CJ using him on the defensive faceoffs and he knows how to win or 'draw'.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Oh look, we got 4 new players with size and a pair of balls, and its starting to show.. too bad MB didn't listen to us a few years ago.

Suddenly the other team doesn't fly into the corners like a bunch of 10yr olds at recess.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Definitely. I've always considered him one of those "punk" (as in rat, not rock) players, but tonight shows what he's capable of on a good night. And somehow it felt surprisingly fresh, for something we've definitely seen up close so often. So yeah, even 1 game like that, right now, at this particular juncture of circumstances, is worth your average stab at a 6th rounder for sure. Fingers crossed that he doesn't undo all of that somehow, because me thinks he's spectacularly capable of that as well, lol. I think the people are in place around him to keep him focused on what could be as great a ride through the playoffs as he sees between now and retirement, so should be a fun ride.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Oh look, we got 4 new players with size and a pair of balls, and its starting to show.. too bad MB didn't listen to us a few years ago.

Suddenly the other team doesn't fly into the corners like a bunch of 10yr olds at recess.

My money's on Julien made him do it.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
My money's on Julien made him do it.

Watching King, Ott and the rest of the crew finish their hits was a relief after years of smurf hockey. Watching Weber and Emelin play the body was a treat, although Emelin was awful everywhere else tonight.

A great game to watch, the first in a long time where the CH had a little pride in it again. Loved the camera closeups where were were not a pile of smurfs looking up at the other team after every whistle.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We will see what happens with time. I mean, its so early that the most significant deadline deal (Dwight King) has been the least effective player of all the newcomers thus far (aside from davidson who has yet to play). You have to figure that this will change, but its a great start for the newcomers overall.... lets just not go overboard all of a sudden.

First and foremost since Julien got hired, Carey Price has been regaining his form, and like we've seen in the past, when a habs goalie is in a groove, the rest of the team plays much better too.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Maybe we can try this when Radu is back :

Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Shaw
King - Ott - Martinsen

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Davidson - Benn

yup. I'd switch King with Byron. I think that third line could benefit from King's size. He can make space for those 2 but really either/or would work just fine.

Definitely Mitchell's the odd man out even though I thought he played decent tonight. Let's see what the new guys can do for now.

We will see what happens with time. I mean, its so early that the most significant deadline deal (Dwight King) has been the least effective player of all the newcomers thus far (aside from davidson who has yet to play). You have to figure that this will change, but its a great start for the newcomers overall.... lets just not go overboard all of a sudden.

First and foremost since Julien got hired, Carey Price has been regaining his form, and like we've seen in the past, when a habs goalie is in a groove, the rest of the team plays much better too.

King is definitely been the least effective out of all the new guys who've played and I still think he did a decent enough job with Galchenyuk and Lehkonen. I love how he goes to the net. I don't think he looked too out of place on that line. Gotta like a guy who can move up and down the line up like that. That's really handy come playoff time.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
FYI: Kirk Muller is a major reason why MB traded for Steve Ott.

This article is from yesterday:

During his rookie season, Ott had Kirk Muller as a teammate in Dallas and later Muller was Ott’s assistant coach with the St. Louis Blues. Muller is now the Canadiens’ associate head coach and played a role in convincing Bergevin to acquire Ott.

“It means a lot,” Ott said. “We have a nice bond from our playing days, my first year in the league, to him coaching me in St. Louis and now to here. Kirky’s such a great man. I think everybody knows that in this whole organization and this city. What he means to me as a personal friend, he’s pushed me when I’ve needed it and he’s also been there in rehab skates and at times to kind of pick me up. Overall, he’s just a great man.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...g-life-as-a-canadien-after-trade-from-detroit

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
FYI: Kirk Muller is a major reason why MB traded for Steve Ott.

This article is from yesterday:

During his rookie season, Ott had Kirk Muller as a teammate in Dallas and later Muller was Ott’s assistant coach with the St. Louis Blues. Muller is now the Canadiens’ associate head coach and played a role in convincing Bergevin to acquire Ott.

“It means a lot,†Ott said. “We have a nice bond from our playing days, my first year in the league, to him coaching me in St. Louis and now to here. Kirky’s such a great man. I think everybody knows that in this whole organization and this city. What he means to me as a personal friend, he’s pushed me when I’ve needed it and he’s also been there in rehab skates and at times to kind of pick me up. Overall, he’s just a great man.â€

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...g-life-as-a-canadien-after-trade-from-detroit

What a great share, thanks for this.

Sometimes we forget players are people, and only know them by their on ice persona's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad