Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I don't see any reason why Columbus would take either of Gallagher or Anderson in a deal back for Laine. There's nothing in it for them. It's a stupid suggestion.
Cause unless CBJ give away Laine for free or pay to trade him, no GM is taking his 8.7M$ contract too much risk

Same amount of $ attached. Thats the type of contract jackets will need to eat

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
The mere offers of names like Anderson and Gallagher is reason enough to stop negotiations immediately. Whether you like it or not.
I'll live.

Add 40% retention and spit on my hand. You're in the hook, lure into my dreams.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Tiffany's boyfriend in college is taking us to a slam poetry night at campus, wanna come and test your newest material?

Little early to hit the pipe, no?

Cause unless CBJ give away Laine for free or pay to trade him, no GM is taking his 8.7M$ contract too much risk

It's two years and the Habs have the space. No reason for Columbus to take either of them. It's counter-productive for them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ fans need to understand
:shakehead :facepalm:
Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it any more true. The market is considerably reduced in a "take the whole contract back" scenario, true, but it's not nonexistent. You're projecting your own desired direction for your team on the 30 other possible destinations out there, and that's assuming that a trade will happen at all (Waddell has explicitly allowed for the possibility of keeping him).

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Little early to hit the pipe, no?

It's two years and the Habs have the space. No reason for Columbus to take either of them. It's counter-productive for them.
So the fact we have the space means we should just take him and screw up our cap situation? Absolutely not. Habs are in such a great spot right now, why go away and screw it all up to take on 8.7M on the payroll?

Sure Habs will take Laine without sending salary. We'll take your 1st to do so.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
At that point, Laine is a cap dump. His salary coupled with his personal situation is too much of a risk for teams. They will be lucky if they get something useful in a trade for him if the trade happens during this summer.

If they can convince him to start the season for CBJ and show other teams he is still got it, it’s another story. But since he asks for a trade, I’m not sure it is a possibility.

Right now, as a Habs fan, I would offer Harris/Struble + Habs 3rd in 2025.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
He is far from a cap dump...stop trying to make a deal that's pennies on the dollar

CBJ fans have been very open about what it takes...feel free to just walk away from the imaginary trade table if it doesn't work for you

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No matter how you dress it up, he's a risk.

Is Dubois a Hab? Then that should clear any question of how much of a risktaker Hughes is. If there is a trade with Montreal, it will be for much less then you think or it simply won't happen.

Lastly, Hughes is under ZERO pressure to make a trade. If he doesn't get his way, fine, it's a ten minute phone call between Pizza Pockets.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No one will take Laine without another terrible contract heading the other way. The risk is too important.

CBJ fans need to understand that they won't get a grade A prospect or a top pick for Laine at 8.7M.

Theyll get a bad contract like Gallagher / Anderson and a combination of B prospects and 2nd rder like Farrell, Harris etc
For what? Columbus fans will buy popcorn and watch Waddell give you the middle finger, and you'll try to get Zegras for Anderson (and something) or Nečas for Gallagher (and something). :D

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Is Dubois a Hab? Then that should clear any question of how much of a risktaker Hughes is. If there is a trade with Montreal, it will be for much less then you think or it simply won't happen.

Lastly, Hughes is under ZERO pressure to make a trade. If he doesn't get his way, fine, it's a ten minute phone call between Pizza Pockets.
Your second line is Newhook - Dach - Anderson/Gallagher. Your GM is under pressure to improve it. That goes for the 2025/26 season as well, because while Demidov is talented, I doubt he'll be able to radically improve that lineup that quickly. And Waddell can wait. Unless a good offer comes in, Laine and his agent know Patrik will start in Columbus.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So the fact we have the space means we should just take him and screw up our cap situation? Absolutely not. Habs are in such a great spot right now, why go away and screw it all up to take on 8.7M on the payroll?

Sure Habs will take Laine without sending salary. We'll take your 1st to do so.

That's the point, it wouldn't screw it. It's a 2-year deal and we have something like 20 millions the instant Price goes on LTIR.

There's no real risk to the Habs here and it's the exact type of deal that Hughes said he was looking at doing (doesn't mind going high on money but is looking at shorter term). The idea that the Habs should receive a 1st to take Laine is asinine. Neither team is strapped for cap space.

Dubois came with a significantly higher cost in assets and you had to give him 8 years the instant you acquired him - and Hughes still tried to get him.

Laine and PLD aren't remotely similar situations.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Your second line is Newhook - Dach - Anderson/Gallagher. Your GM is under pressure to improve it. That goes for the 2025/26 season as well, because while Demidov is talented, I doubt he'll be able to radically improve that lineup that quickly. And Waddell can wait. Unless a good offer comes in, Laine and his agent know Patrik will start in Columbus.
Nope, our timeliness starts in about 2 years. By that time Demidov is real.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it any more true.

Indeed. :shakehead :facepalm:

Laine's value will be reflected once he's traded. Until then, it's all speculation... And being a CBJ fan doesn't make that speculation any more valid or credible.

There are several factors at play that likely reduce his trade value. To suggest otherwise is to ignore very readily available precedent.

He's clearly a highly talented player, and young enough that he could very well return to elite level impact. Unfortunately for Jackets fans, with his public desire not to stay there, the odds of him returning to that level in your jersey is very low.

Will Waddell find a deal he's feels is good enough? If not, will he risk the potential negative impact of keeping Laine there?

We'll see is the only definitive thing anyone can state.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Laine's value will be reflected once he's traded. Until then, it's all speculation... And being a CBJ fan doesn't make that speculation any more valid or credible.
Not inherently, no. But the track record of folks who don't follow this team on predicting major trade returns we get is something beyond merely atrocious and into downright unreal. There has literally been no instance in the history of the CBJ where, when a major CBJ player is rumored to be on the market, the Jackets have ever actually gotten ripped off in the fashion so many love to confidently predict. Literally not once. The only times it's ever happened are when there were no rumors beforehand and thus everyone was taken by surprise. The big personnel fails that other folks do predict correctly are free agency signings, not trades.

So, again, it's not an inherent thing, no. But the track record of folks insisting we're doomed in a major trade has never once come to fruition as predicted. Ever. There's a chance, of course, because there's a new guy at the helm than before... but right now the bulk of the predictions actually being brought forward are "he's next to worthless and you'll have to take back lots of cap" and that's not a high bar to clear.
Will Waddell find a deal he's feels is good enough? If not, will he risk the potential negative impact of keeping Laine there?
He has several times said that if he doesn't get the former, he will proceed with the latter.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not inherently, no. But the track record of folks who don't follow this team on predicting major trade returns we get is something beyond merely atrocious and into downright unreal. There has literally been no instance in the history of the CBJ where, when a major CBJ player is rumored to be on the market, the Jackets have ever actually gotten ripped off in the fashion so many love to confidently predict. Literally not once. The only times it's ever happened are when there were no rumors beforehand and thus everyone was taken by surprise. The big personnel fails that other folks do predict correctly are free agency signings, not trades.

I don't know... I think that it's a stretch to suggest every proposal in this thread by non CBJ fans is a "rip off"... Just because other fans have a different assessment of the situation doesn't mean they are proposing to Rob the Jackets blind.

Laine is available because he wants out, and the likely return isn't going to be "40+ goal scoring 26 year old" because of his injury & mental health concerns (& the risks those things represent). Differing perspectives on how the GM market will value/discount those risks is not a sign of people trying to fleece the Jackets imo.

So, again, it's not an inherent thing, no. But the track record of folks insisting we're doomed in a major trade has never once come to fruition as predicted. Ever.

Sorry, are you saying that the Jackets have never, ever, made a trade that didn't work out favorably?

I don't think CBJ is "doomed". I do think it sucks that Laine didn't work out as hoped. Getting rid of PLD proved a great move, but Laine's injury & mental health issues derailed the potential steal that trade looked like it was going to be. Is what it is....

There's a chance, of course, because there's a new guy at the helm than before... but right now the bulk of the predictions actually being brought forward are "he's next to worthless and you'll have to take back lots of cap" and that's not a high bar to clear.

Are they? I certainly don't view him as worthless... and I read other non CBJ fans in this thread who see his value. on the Habs board there's a very big variance of opinions.

I think your exaggerating.

He has several times said that if he doesn't get the former, he will proceed with the latter.

Sure. And if you follow the league, it's a well established precedent that GMs make proclamations and then later do the opposite... Is what it is.

Given we all have that same information, not sure what the point is to keep bringing it up, nor get frustrated with posters who want to talk about potential (or as someone else in the thread called it, "imaginary") outcomes to this situation :dunno:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Simply not true. CBJ will just keep him if that's the only crap offered. The fan base has routinely said NO TERM GREATER THAN LAINE. What is so hard to understand about that? 2 years. Anything more than 2 years is dead in the water. And I think you under estimate NHL GMs.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

There are several factors at play that likely reduce his trade value. To suggest otherwise is to ignore very readily available precedent.

He's clearly a highly talented player, and young enough that he could very well return to elite level impact. Unfortunately for Jackets fans, with his public desire not to stay there, the odds of him returning to that level in your jersey is very low.

We'll see is the only definitive thing anyone can state.
This is perfect because it sums up exactly everything CBJ fans haven't been saying, but everything Hab fans seem to be acting like CBJ fans are saying...

I have not seen, in any Laine thread, CBJ saying he didn't have reduced value or risk. I haven't seen any rational CBJ fan suggest a first and high prospect for no retention. Now I have seen that from fans other than CBJ use that as a rebuttal when we disagree that he's not a cap dump or has no value. Or when we indicate that the new GM is pushing for a hockey trade and is not willing to take back term longer than Laine as another teams cap dump.

We get it. He's not the Laine from his ELC days, but you know what? He's actually improved tremendously as a hockey player. He's been injured and thus his current cap hit and situation reduces his value. Reduces, not eliminates like its routinely being pushed, yet other fans still want him.

Habs don't want him? Fine. There are other teams in the NHL. Many with varying need and cap situations. CBJ is not strapped for the Cap and Laine still has more value than the proverbial Cap dump. Some can't seem to understand that.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is perfect because it sums up exactly everything CBJ fans haven't been saying, but everything Hab fans seem to be acting like CBJ fans are saying...

I have not seen, in any Laine thread, CBJ saying he didn't have reduced value or risk. I haven't seen any rational CBJ fan suggest a first and high prospect for no retention. Now I have seen that from fans other than CBJ use that as a rebuttal when we disagree that he's not a cap dump or has no value. Or when we indicate that the new GM is pushing for a hockey trade and is not willing to take back term longer than Laine as another teams cap dump.

We get it. He's not the Laine from his ELC days, but you know what? He's actually improved tremendously as a hockey player. He's been injured and thus his current cap hit and situation reduces his value. Reduces, not eliminates like its routinely being pushed, yet other fans still want him.

Habs don't want him? Fine. There are other teams in the NHL. Many with varying need and cap situations. CBJ is not strapped for the Cap and Laine still has more value than the proverbial Cap dump. Some can't seem to understand that.

What are you talking about?

I want the Habs to target Laine and absolutely think his potential upside is worth the very real risk that his impact will regress further in the years ahead.

We clearly disagree on what Laine's value in trade today is, but guess what, so do "Habs fans". There are as many Habs fan on this site who don't want to touch Laine with a ten foot pole as there are who want to see us put in a competitive offer.

Will fascinating to see what he actually gets traded for... Or, what the impact on the Jackets ends up being if Waddell decides to ignore the trade request because he can't get the value he wants.

Both scenarios run the risk of disappointing you considerably based on what you are posting in this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: VT and Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Nope, our timeliness starts in about 2 years. By that time Demidov is real.
Demidov will not come the next season. Also he is too young, you must wait so that he will be a leader. Btw, SKA agreed to Michkov leave for specific reasons. And the KHL is not a farm of the NHL. So, Demidov has a contract still one season and that's the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad