Proposal: MTL & CLB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not at all comparable situations. Laine is an adult, yes he can make a trade request but he needs to be professional about it too. Until he is moved he needs to show up for his job and put in legitimate effort. Sure if he throws a tantrum like PLD did last time he was in Columbus then yes you cut that out ASAP. But I highly doubt that will happen. Laine's not an idiot, he knows what his cap hit is, what teams have cap room, and that he is currently a huge risk. If he wants to go to a "better situation" he will need to re-earn respect around the league first
The whole point is to not let it get to the point Columbus let it get with PLD. That was an example of what happens when you drag things on too long and why GM’s typically honour trade requests when you have a player that wants to move on when the relationship is in someway compromised.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If you think Laine is worth what you're offering, then why do you want him? Look for another moron to give you a quality player for Anderson/Gallagher and a 7th round pick in 2030 y.

Enjoy Gallagher/Anderson on the right wing of the second line because your offers are those players' value.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The whole point is to not let it get to the point Columbus let it get with PLD. That was an example of what happens when you drag things on too long and why GM’s typically honour trade requests when you have a player that wants to move on when the relationship is in someway compromised.
PLD was an extremely exceptional case. This is an absurd argument.

Reactions: Xoggz22

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Here’s a novel approach - what are CBJ fans realistically looking for in a return for Laine?

The good - you can’t teach scoring, and Laine can score. Great hands and size. Things the Habs need in their top 6.

The Bad - There are off ice issues, rumours have dogged him for awhile and he’s just out of the assistance program. His cap hit is tough too.

The Ugly - injuries have been a serious issue, and he’s coming off shoulder surgery.

If rumours about picks and prospects being the return that CBJ wants, what does that fan base think is a fair return, considering all factors?

Thanks.
I think Columbus would prefer to move on sooner rather than later, so I don't believe it is a case of needing to "win" a Laine trade. At the same time I don't think they feel pressure to trade him for scraps. There has to be some value to Columbus or they wait.

Pieces that would be of interest include veteran defensive d-man, veteran 2 way forward on a short term (2 yr. or less) contract, high potential player also looking for change of scenery (like McGroarty), or draft picks. The appeal of prospects or picks is they won't take away ice time from young players like Johnson, Fantilli, Voronkov, etc. But I think CBJ is motivated enough to make a deal that they will be open minded about package composition as long as value is there.

I don't buy that Laine has no value, or that they would need to attach a premium asset to move him. If that is what the market suggests, he'll start the season in Columbus. However, pro sports teams always bet on skill and Laine has elite shooting ability. All it takes is 1 GM to fall in love with that potential and make an offer. While the cap hit is high, term is only 2 years (so less risky than a UFA signing). Columbus can also retain salary to facilitate a deal.

I think teams looking to get over the hump with an aging core (like Pittsburgh or Dallas) make sense. Utah or Seattle also could use an offensive bump. I'm not sure about Montreal. Their fans seem pretty divided on interest. Theme from this thread feels like "interested, but only if we can steal him." It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think Columbus would prefer to move on sooner rather than later, so I don't believe it is a case of needing to "win" a Laine trade. At the same time I don't think they feel pressure to trade him for scraps. There has to be some value to Columbus or they wait.

Pieces that would be of interest include veteran defensive d-man, veteran 2 way forward on a short term (2 yr. or less) contract, high potential player also looking for change of scenery (like McGroarty), or draft picks. The appeal of prospects or picks is they won't take away ice time from young players like Johnson, Fantilli, Voronkov, etc. But I think CBJ is motivated enough to make a deal that they will be open minded about package composition as long as value is there.

I don't buy that Laine has no value, or that they would need to attach a premium asset to move him. If that is what the market suggests, he'll start the season in Columbus. However, pro sports teams always bet on skill and Laine has elite shooting ability. All it takes is 1 GM to fall in love with that potential and make an offer. While the cap hit is high, term is only 2 years (so less risky than a UFA signing). Columbus can also retain salary to facilitate a deal.

I think teams looking to get over the hump with an aging core (like Pittsburgh or Dallas) make sense. Utah or Seattle also could use an offensive bump. I'm not sure about Montreal. Their fans seem pretty divided on interest. Theme from this thread feels like "interested, but only if we can steal him." It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I would like to clarify that. Montreal fans will only agree if we take Anderson, Gallagher, Armia and Dvorak for Laine, Johnson and first round picks in the next 10 drafts. :D

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You guys are dreaming if you are thinking Laine gets you a top prospects. Youll be lucky to fetch a 2nd

You guys?

Columbus has to take a contract back that’s at least two years? It depends on the contract. How are you going to make it worth it for them?

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
CGY/FLA 1st, Joshua Roy and Gallagher for Laine

Canadiens fans have high hopes for Roy. That 1st will probably be quite low. Gallagher is a waste of cap space. Canadiens are not in a hurry to lose their dead weight but do we really want to wait three seasons to get rid of last two awful Bergevin contracts. Getting rid of Gallagher creates 6.5 million extra cap space. Something that will be very useful if Canadiens want to keep Laine or go after superstar in UFA. Laine's talent level makes it easily worth it.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017

Canadiens fans have high hopes for Roy. That 1st will probably be quite low. Gallagher is a waste of cap space. Canadiens are not in a hurry to lose their dead weight but do we really want to wait three seasons to get rid of last two awful Bergevin contracts. Getting rid of Gallagher creates 6.5 million extra cap space. Something that will be very useful if Canadiens want to keep Laine or go after superstar in UFA. Laine's talent level makes it easily worth it.
Id rather keep him

Reactions: Fro

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Okay...

Okay....

Nope. Sorry. Trade fails. We're done.

Term is non-negotiable.
Not getting Roy AND a 1st without taking cap back. Even if it was Anderson instead of Gallagher it would be no chance from Montreal. Habs need to add to scoring line forwards not exchange them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not getting Roy AND a 1st without taking cap back. Even if it was Anderson instead of Gallagher it would be no chance from Montreal. Habs need to add to scoring line forwards not exchange them.
Understandable. Taking cap back - so long as the term is not longer than Laine's - is perfectly fine. But the extra years are a nonstarter.

Reactions: Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

The mere offers of names like Anderson and Gallagher is reason enough to stop negotiations immediately. Whether you like it or not.

Reactions: Snowman and Viqsi

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I would like to clarify that. Montreal fans will only agree if we take Anderson, Gallagher, Armia and Dvorak for Laine, Johnson and first round picks in the next 10 drafts. :D
Wrong. Most are wiIling to take the full contract (and Hughes might be0 but only for a deal something like Barron and a 2nd.

The mere offers of names like Anderson and Gallagher is reason enough to stop negotiations immediately. Whether you like it or not.
True for Galllagher. Anderson only if the Jackets do not want him back (they are likely on his NTC anyway)

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
And Romanov was such a keeper that we moved him.

C'mon man, Bogdan is like 40th on our prospects charts lmao....
Bodgan is the best D in Torpedo , much better then Silayev (i get the fact that is much younger).But But still probably better then Barron and Mailloux imo.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
I don't see any reason why Columbus would take either of Gallagher or Anderson in a deal back for Laine. There's nothing in it for them. It's a stupid suggestion.
Tiffany's boyfriend in college is taking us to a slam poetry night at campus, wanna come and test your newest material?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You guys?

Columbus has to take a contract back that’s at least two years? It depends on the contract. How are you going to make it worth it for them?
No one will take Laine without another terrible contract heading the other way. The risk is too important.

CBJ fans need to understand that they won't get a grade A prospect or a top pick for Laine at 8.7M.

Theyll get a bad contract like Gallagher / Anderson and a combination of B prospects and 2nd rder like Farrell, Harris etc

Reactions: HabsAddict
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad