Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I can only reply to what you write, and what you wrote was terribly uninformed.

Bad take is a bad take. Feel free to correct it.

Will patiently wait for this trade to come to fruition then, since you're so sure of it.

Doubling down on a bad take. Bravo.

Hyperbole weakens, rather than strengthens your take... And it was piss poor to begin with lol

Really adorable that you think either of these prospects are anything special. Will say this for Habs fans, their undying optimism sure is endearing. I don't think you know what hyperbole is. That Laine has scored more than 200Gs in less than 500 games is a fact. Something you haven't included in any of your arguments.

But there isn't an urgency at all to move him. Yes he requested a trade, yes he has been made available. But no, they have no reason to rush a trade when his value is clearly at it's lowest. His value only goes up as he starts playing again

I disagree. A trade request does create urgency. His value has only gone down since coming to Columbus, it could very easily continue to do so if he doesn't play well or gets injured again.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Will patiently wait for this trade to come to fruition then, since you're so sure of it.

Really adorable that you think either of these prospects are anything special. Will say this for Habs fans, their undying optimism sure is endearing. I don't think you know what hyperbole is. That Laine has scored more than 200Gs in less than 500 games is a fact. Something you haven't included in any of your arguments.

I disagree. A trade request does create urgency. His value has only gone down since coming to Columbus, it could very easily continue to do so if he doesn't play well or gets injured again.

Laine is obviously a talented player, it's as always the contract that determines the value. He's paid like a star and he doesn't produce that value.

I just can't imagine Columbus gets star-equivalent value from a trade so maybe he just plays out his contract there.

Reactions: dukeofjive

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Laine vs Anderson,Harris + 2nd round

Harris gives them flexibility on the LHD if they decide to move Provorov going forward (which seems to be the case, at the deadline most likely).

Anderson gives them grit and speed, something they are lacking, at this point he's a 3rd line guy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Best to read a post, before replying. This useless comment makes no sense.

Your take was poor as you clearly don't know about the prospects in the proposal. No amount of crying about "Habs fans" salvaged your bad take.

You haven't addressed that once, opting instead for nonsensical and childish retorts.... which speaks volumes. Have a take, don't suck. It's not that hard.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Laine vs Anderson,Harris + 2nd round

Harris gives them flexibility on the LHD if they decide to move Provorov going forward (which seems to be the case, at the deadline most likely).

Anderson gives them grit and speed, something they are lacking, at this point he's a 3rd line guy.
This gives Columbus nothing they need and it costs Montreal virtually nothing at all. I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
I just dont think Laine value is great. He's coming off a bad season, injury filled, already had a questionable work ethic, off the program, wants out of CLB and a bad cap hit.

Pretty much everything you dont want. His style would probably also translate poorly in the playoffs, so I dont see a contender making a move. More like Detroit/Montreal/Ottawa that are just trying to improve and make it to the playoffs.

Not the same player but a guy like Vrana (cap hit, injuries, personal issues) was pretty much a waiver type of player for last 2 years, even tho he was a clear top 6 forward..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just dont think Laine value is great. He's coming off a bad season, injury filled, already had a questionable work ethic, off the program, wants out of CLB and a bad cap hit.
The bolded is repeatedly debunked nonsense. I don't know why it continues to persist but it hasn't been true for over half a decade and certainly never has been the case during any of his time in union blue. Again, if anything he tries too hard, and it shows up most readily in his attempts to be a primary puck carrier (which he is... well, he's not bad at it, but he's also not very good, and he gets ganged up on because he's Laine, so the end result is usually bad).

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Laine is very overrated. I don't think KH would give any real assets to acquire him, he's completely uncommitted, the opposite of the type of player they have targeted so far in their tenure.

Columbus has a problem, Laine has asked to be moved and they already have a shitty culture there, I doubt they're trying to start the new season with a disgruntled big money player on the roster.

Even with a discount I wouldn't really want this player and giving up a first for this guy is absolutely laughable. He's never healthy and his production has been trending the wrong way for years now.
he’s not overrated, lol.

He will easily fetch a first. Heck, even with his shorten seasons he was only a couple points less than Suzuki each year despite playing 20 fewer games per year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Best to read a post, before replying. This useless comment makes no sense.

My post said I don't think this is a realistic deal. You've disagreed and claimed your opinion is worth much much more, so clearly they're just waiting to announce the deal on Monday.

Your take was poor as you clearly don't know about the prospects in the proposal. No amount of crying about "Habs fans" salvaged your bad take.

You haven't addressed that once, opting instead for nonsensical and childish retorts.... which speaks volumes. Have a take, don't suck. It's not that hard.

You seem really worked up about this. I'm sorry I don't think Bogdan Konyushkov is as good as you think he is. Neither him or Farrell are likely to be anything much in the NHL but Farrell has already played NHL games and has a productive AHL season under his belt as well. Has a NHL contract, his path to the big league is much clearer. I watched him play when he was at Harvard with Coronato, he's a smart skilled player. Size is less of an issue for fwds.

Konyushkov is a smallish dman who doesn't skate particularly well. Small soft and slow defenseman generally don't have a great time in the NHL. Maybe he can overcome those deficiencies, maybe not. Maybe he remains in the KHL. A lot more maybes with him. If he's a better prospect than Farrell it's by a insignificant amount. But yes, mentioning one and not the other in a throwaway forum post in a throwaway forum thread clearly shows an incredible ignorance about prospects.

These aren't even top 10 organizational prospects for the Canadiens. I realize fans see some promising numbers in bad watered down leagues like the KHL and start penciling them into lineups but the reality is neither are all that likely to reach 100 NHL games.

He was literally in the PAP, there is zero risk in letting him play to prove himself again.

No such thing as zero risk. Going into the season with a new GM and coach with a high profile player that has requested a trade still on the roster is a risk in itself. Columbus started last season off with a major distraction and their year was basically over before it begun. Evason has to get that locker room in order, I'd say that would be easier to do with Laine gone than with him still there.

I'm not discounting the possibility they try to rehab his value playing him, I just don't think it's the no doubt course of action.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Ledge And Dairy

No such thing as zero risk. Going into the season with a new GM and coach with a high profile player that has requested a trade still on the roster is a risk in itself. Columbus started last season off with a major distraction and their year was basically over before it begun. Evason has to get that locker room in order, I'd say that would be easier to do with Laine gone than with him still there.

I'm not discounting the possibility they try to rehab his value playing him, I just don't think it's the no doubt course of action.
Not at all comparable situations. Laine is an adult, yes he can make a trade request but he needs to be professional about it too. Until he is moved he needs to show up for his job and put in legitimate effort. Sure if he throws a tantrum like PLD did last time he was in Columbus then yes you cut that out ASAP. But I highly doubt that will happen. Laine's not an idiot, he knows what his cap hit is, what teams have cap room, and that he is currently a huge risk. If he wants to go to a "better situation" he will need to re-earn respect around the league first

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not at all comparable situations.

Sure they are. They are both distractions for the team. The Flames had a bunch of these last year with players that didn't want to be there long term. How big of a distraction really is debatable, definitely the Babcock one was more odd and would have had a greater effect on the team considering he was supposed to be the head coach.

Laine is an adult, yes he can make a trade request but he needs to be professional about it too. Until he is moved he needs to show up for his job and put in legitimate effort. Sure if he throws a tantrum like PLD did last time he was in Columbus then yes you cut that out ASAP. But I highly doubt that will happen. Laine's not an idiot, he knows what his cap hit is, what teams have cap room, and that he is currently a huge risk. If he wants to go to a "better situation" he will need to re-earn respect around the league first

Yeah I mean he for sure should do all that. Just don't think you can characterize the situation as 'no urgency' and 'zero risk'. His value isn't good right now but I don't think it's totally in the toilet either, he's got enough of a track record that teams could easily buy just needing a fresh start on a better team.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
IMHO, Laine has to put together a solid year to remotely rationalize his massive cap hit. Right now he’s wearing a “buyer beware” sign that’s dragging down any interest, league wide. Every GM in the league knows this & is in a position of strength negotiating with Waddle.

Kent Hughes will not risk throwing off his cap structure for a “maybe he’ll be better”……no chance. Look he’s in a rebuild still trying to get out from under other “dead wood” contracts!

Reactions: HabsAddict

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Here’s a novel approach - what are CBJ fans realistically looking for in a return for Laine?

The good - you can’t teach scoring, and Laine can score. Great hands and size. Things the Habs need in their top 6.

The Bad - There are off ice issues, rumours have dogged him for awhile and he’s just out of the assistance program. His cap hit is tough too.

The Ugly - injuries have been a serious issue, and he’s coming off shoulder surgery.

If rumours about picks and prospects being the return that CBJ wants, what does that fan base think is a fair return, considering all factors?

Thanks.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Try "at maximum two years" and you'll be more accurate.
Yah Columbus won't control that

Laibe is owed 18.2M in the next 2 years, they will likelly have to take in a contract with that much money owed.

Not a lot of player out there that are worse than Laine that are owed 18M in the next 2 years

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah I mean he for sure should do all that. Just don't think you can characterize the situation as 'no urgency' and 'zero risk'. His value isn't good right now but I don't think it's totally in the toilet either, he's got enough of a track record that teams could easily buy just needing a fresh start on a better team.
No I think you are completely wrong here. I don't think any team is willing to offer anything close to what Columbus would want for him right now because of he hasn't played at all. They are under zero pressure to trade him for the scraps that would be offered and thus they will likely hold on to him until he regains some value and proves himself again.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
My post said I don't think this is a realistic deal. You've disagreed and claimed your opinion is worth much much more, so clearly they're just waiting to announce the deal on Monday.

Nope. Try re reading the initial response.

I pointed out that your take was poorly grounded given you clearly don't have a good understanding of the relative progression status of the two prospects involved.

You've invented all sorts of Boogeymen to argue with that simply aren't there.... And added weak hyperbole again here for, reasons?

You seem really worked up about this. I'm sorry I don't think Bogdan Konyushkov is as good as you think he is. Neither him or Farrell are likely to be anything much in the NHL but Farrell has already played NHL games and has a productive AHL season under his belt as well. Has a NHL contract, his path to the big league is much clearer. I watched him play when he was at Harvard with Coronato, he's a smart skilled player. Size is less of an issue for fwds.

Ah, finally. A relevant response...

Agree to disagree here. I'm more bullish on Farrell than most Habs fans, but it's a pretty big stretch to suggest he's a better bet to become an NHL regular than Kony at this point.

I suppose the fear that Kony is so successful in the KHL that he gets a big enough next contract that he opts not to pursue the NHL might affect a person's valuation of him, but to date there's been no indication that he's a risk of that.

Konyushkov is a smallish dman who doesn't skate particularly well. Small soft and slow defenseman generally don't have a great time in the NHL. Maybe he can overcome those deficiencies, maybe not. Maybe he remains in the KHL. A lot more maybes with him. If he's a better prospect than Farrell it's by a insignificant amount. But yes, mentioning one and not the other in a throwaway forum post in a throwaway forum thread clearly shows an incredible ignorance about prospects.

Not at all a good evaluation of the player. The skating is an area that needs work, but his size is not an issue for the type of dman he is (ironically size and skating are the two significant roadblocks for Farrell), and calling him "soft" again underscores that your assessment of the player is not well grounded.

These aren't even top 10 organizational prospects for the Canadiens. I realize fans see some promising numbers in bad watered down leagues like the KHL and start penciling them into lineups but the reality is neither are all that likely to reach 100 NHL games.

Not all prospect pools are the same.
"Not even top 10.." is another irrelevant comment.

The "numbers" for both Farrell & Konyushkov are hardly impressive. Coupled with their draft status, more of a reason why poorly informed posters make throwaway posts and then get all frustrated when their bad take is pointed out 😉

The "reality" is that about 1/3 of the players picked in the first two rounds of the draft don't reach 100NHL games & same could be said of A much higher ratio of NHL team "top 10 prospects"...

A quantity for quality trade involving picks & prospects is what it is. As I stated in the first reply, I don't doubt that CBJ would/will prefer a quality return over a quantity one... But that's a different argument all together. I'm not sure why that's hard for you to grasp :dunno:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Not a lot of player out there that are worse than Laine that are owed 18M in the next 2 years

If he plays healthy that will be a great contract. Not a lot of better contracts out there if he can put a full season together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad