Proposal: MTL & CLB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Here's a quote from Don Waddell on Thursday:

Basically, the team will move him if a deal that makes sense for the Jackets is offered. But they're not ruling out him still being on the team when the season starts if a sensible deal isn't offered.

The OP's offer doesn't make sense because the Jackets are moving him for very little return while retaining a whopping $4.4 million a year.

I think they will keep him if they don't find the right deal, but what sort of quote do you think he'd put out if he had his mind set on moving him? No GM is dumb enough to tank a players value by saying you'll move him no matter what and inviting a bunch of low ball offers.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think they will keep him if they don't find the right deal, but what sort of quote do you think he'd put out if he had his mind set on moving him? No GM is dumb enough to tank a players value by saying you'll move him no matter what and inviting a bunch of low ball offers.
I think he would just say the middle part and omit the part about what happens if a trade doesn't materialize.

"Andy Scott (Laine's Agent) told him multiple times that we will make sure that we look at everything and know the situation, we know Patrik's feelings."

Reactions: Viqsi

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
When I saw "who says no" I was kinda hoping to see Halak, Ryder and a 2nd to Columbus for old times sake.

Not sure Columbus would say no to the deal. They'd be left speechless.

I'm left speechless by people who analyze hockey and think Laine at $8.7 million is worth actual assets considering any part of the circumstances. It's a terrible contract even with only 2 years left.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We really need to make an ongoing list of what trades we been told "would never happen/your never gonna get the first" the past 10-15 years and everyone gets a surprised Pikachu face when it does and just months later they do the whole routine over again. If anything we are the ones who fleece in trades historically. Most of our issues come in retaining/signing FAs
I suppose given the KJ deal just announced today Waddell could end up flipping those around; I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. :laugh:

Reactions: Indy18

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
When I saw "who says no" I was kinda hoping to see Halak, Ryder and a 2nd to Columbus for old times sake.

Not sure Columbus would say no to the deal. They'd be left speechless.
I think you'd get a feeble shake of the head and otherwise a lack of responsiveness - like "did I just hallucinate this insanity, I'm going to be very very careful about what I do and say next just in case" type reaction.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm left speechless by people who analyze hockey and think Laine at $8.7 million is worth actual assets considering any part of the circumstances. It's a terrible contract even with only 2 years left.

That's irrelevant. Neither Montreal nor Columbus are expecting to be competitive in the next 2 years so neither team has any real pressure to have a super efficient cap. Laine is a bad contractand a distressed asset but still has boom potential. Columbus is better off just seeing how it goes than give up that lottery ticket away for nothing since the upside of a 2nd rounder and some random stuff isn't really worth it.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
How do MTL fans see the most lopsided proposals in their favour and still find shit to complain about

Because Laine isn't worth $8.7 million straight up. To give assets, especially good assets to acquire such a lousy contract is stupid. Do you need me to simplify?

That's irrelevant. Neither Montreal nor Columbus are expecting to be competitive in the next 2 years so neither team has any real pressure to have a super efficient cap. Laine is a bad contractand a distressed asset but still has boom potential. Columbus is better off just seeing how it goes than give up that lottery ticket away for nothing since the upside of a 2nd rounder and some random stuff isn't really worth it.

Cool, Columbus is gonna need to keep him then. I don't think any GM is dumb enough to add assets to acquire a mini-albatross contract.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Because Laine isn't worth $8.7 million straight up. To give assets, especially good assets to acquire such a lousy contract is stupid. Do you need me to simplify?

Cool, Columbus is gonna need to keep him then. I don't think any GM is dumb enough to add assets to acquire a mini-albatross contract.
That last part sounds like Mike Matheson how ironic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Doesn't look like CBJ or their fans are proposing to send Laine to Montreal in the first place so you can rest easy knowing they will keep him.

JSSSTP

Jun 7, 2013
Columbus is 5.8M above the cap floor right now. Laine has been cleared to play and will start the season in Columbus unless a trade they deem worthwhile comes along. A player being available does not mean they have to trade him. They most likely play let him regain his value on the ice over the course of this season before trading him
Incorrect. He’s clear to play by the assistance program, but he is still recovering from his shoulder surgery.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
its funny Montreal proposals generally all end up this way but everyone else is the problem

Nah it's just classic hockey armchair experts overvaluing their players and undervaluing every other asset. Nothing new under the sun, that's why the main boards are a cesspool of nonsense.

Every single fanbase is guilty of it, it's just Montreal has a big and rabid fanbase, it's not rocket science it just seems like it if you're biased.

Doesn't look like CBJ or their fans are proposing to send Laine to Montreal in the first place so you can rest easy knowing they will keep him.
Well that's good cause unless he comes with a risk-related discount I hope the Habs have less than zero interest.

You actually believe someone is gonna give up a 1st+ for this player and that contract? It seems you've been around the game a long time, you can't possibly believe that.

• Haha

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
That last part sounds like Mike Matheson how ironic

This one is barely worth replying to. Matheson gets paid less than 5 million and put up 62 points while playing huge minutes on a bad team. No doubt he isn't a #1 but to even suggest he doesn't outproduce $5 million in this cap environment is simply nonsense.

This is a perfect example of main board ridiculous discourse.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
This one is barely worth replying to. Matheson gets paid less than 5 million and put up 62 points while playing huge minutes on a bad team. No doubt he isn't a #1 but to even suggest he doesn't outproduce $5 million in this cap environment is simply nonsense.

This is a perfect example of main board ridiculous discourse.
Matheson sucks and nobody is paying a 1st plus. Take your own advice

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I haven't said anything about Matheson, put down the pipe, this is a thread about Patrick Laine, you must be confused.

I really don't care about his value I'd rather he plays for us. Have a nice day.
We are talking about overeating player values. Maybe it's the language barrier. You said laine is worth next to nothing while not admitting the same for matheson.

On brand for main board mtl fans

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Columbus is 5.8M above the cap floor right now. Laine has been cleared to play and will start the season in Columbus unless a trade they deem worthwhile comes along. A player being available does not mean they have to trade him. They most likely play let him regain his value on the ice over the course of this season before trading him

They don't have to no that's true. They also have a new GM and a new head coach. Often in that situation there is an urgency to clear out guys who aren't nailed down that haven't worked out. If I'm Dean Evason I wouldn't want a star winger who didn't want to be there for very long while I'm trying to establish a new culture with the roster.

“Patrik’s made it clear that, even before all the changes this summer, he would like a fresh start someplace,” Blue Jackets GM Don Waddell told TSN 1050. “We will look at it when the time comes – which hopefully is very soon – all the options. Now, I can’t rule out any options, even returning here because it takes two teams to make a trade and if there’s not a trade that makes any sense to us, then we have to just deal with what reality is.

Columbus has given him permission to talk to other teams. I'd be more than a little surprised if he's on the Blue Jackets roster by Christmas.

Reactions: CannonFire1

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
its funny Montreal proposals generally all end up this way but everyone else is the problem
I’m just happy to see they’ve moved away from the sh*tty Zegras proposals and directed those same sh*tty proposals on to another player. My condolences…it’s frustrating.

“We’ll give you this sh*t offer for your sh*t player who has no value. And even though he’s sh*t, we somehow still want him.”

“No, we have no interest in that proposal”

“What do you expect to get for a player who sucks?! He’s overrated and not good. “

“We’re happy to keep him, we like the player. “

“Keep him them. We don’t want him any way. He doesn’t fit our culture. Good luck getting anything of value for him. “

lol. It’s always the same, as you pointed out.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
We are talking about overeating player values. Maybe it's the language barrier. You said laine is worth next to nothing while not admitting the same for matheson.

On brand for main board mtl fans

Buddy I don't speak for other Montreal fans, I have no idea what you're talking about with Matheson. What does he have to do with Patrick Laine? They are totally different situations and play totally opposite positions. What a complete waste of time.

You realize that fanbases are not a hivemind that think in unison, right? I'm talking only about Laine, if some other Habs players isn't worth a 1st+ to you then that's just great. So what?

I'm saying a player getting paid nearly $9 million has to produce more than Laine has to have surplus value. If you have an arguement to that point let's hear it. If your plan is to tell me about a different player who you also don't think is worth a 1st+ then just grab your pipe and have a nice day.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Buddy I don't speak for other Montreal fans, I have no idea what you're talking about with Matheson. What does he have to do with Patrick Laine? They are totally different situations and play totally opposite positions. What a complete waste of time.

You realize that fanbases are not a hivemind that think in unison, right? I'm talking only about Laine, if some other Habs players isn't worth a 1st+ to you then that's just great. So what?

I'm saying a player getting paid nearly $9 million has to produce more than Laine has to have surplus value. If you have an arguement to that point let's hear it. If your plan is to tell me about a different player who you also don't think is worth a 1st+ then just grab your pipe and have a nice day.
I guess we will see what Laine gets when he's moved. Won't be the trash peddled by you or other mtl fans, which seems obvious to almost everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad