Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Laine is a legit top 6 in any team.
Just got is 26 birthday.
He's got a great 5 years in his prime to go
Laine also can’t stay healthy.
Just got out of the rehab program
He’s got a couple of years at 8M+ left

Habs fans downplaying Laine's potential to return to form if the point is they're not interested in taking a chance on him and don't want to move assets anyway is fine.

Habs fans downplaying Laine's potential to return to form in the interest of justifying lowball offers for him in trade is just so much bullshit.
Aren’t both related? The guy can’t stay healthy, has dependencies and just got out of rehab and is paid like a star 1st line forward.

That alone should justify the « lowball offers »

Reactions: luiginb and viceroy

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Aren’t both related? The guy can’t stay healthy, has dependencies and just got out of rehab and is paid like a star 1st line forward.

That alone should justify the « lowball offers »
One is is a reasonable course of action explained transparently.

The other is a bullshit excuse to engage in dodgy internet discussions.

If the two things seem congruous to you, then you fall into category 2.

Reactions: Viqsi

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
One is is a reasonable course of action explained transparently.

The other is a bullshit excuse to engage in dodgy internet discussions.

If the two things seem congruous to you, then you fall into category 2.
But is it? I personally couldn't care less about Laine and I don't think he would be a fit on my team but if you think his prior health and addiction issues on top of his weird main character ego and high cap hit shouldn't be taken into consideration when discussing a potential issue for the player just because it "hurts" his value then I would argue that you're in denial more than anyone would fall into your category "2"

Laying out the facts as to why the guy doesn't have any value or appeal shouldn't be seen as "bullshit" excuses.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
But is it? I personally couldn't care less about Laine and I don't think he would be a fit on my team but if you think his prior health and addiction issues on top of his weird main character ego and high cap hit shouldn't be taken into consideration when discussing a potential issue for the player just because it "hurts" his value then I would argue that you're in denial more than anyone would fall into your category "2"

Laying out the facts as to why the guy doesn't have any value or appeal shouldn't be seen as "bullshit" excuses.
So you're in the camp of you don't want the player? Cool by me. I'm confused.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I don’t know if it’s bullshit or not, I think with Laine you’d be acquiring a guy with known off ice issues, an extensive injury history and a high cap hit. Those are three pretty big strikes against a guy. Is there potential for a high reward? Sure. But there’s also a chance he regresses with his issues and/or gets hurt again. It’s a buyer beware situation, and it all depends on what Waddell wants to do with Laine. Will he give him a shot to potentially build his value back up, or will he move him off the club immediately for the best offer he gets?

To me, as a Habs fan, I don’t want Laine, but if the Habs acquire him, I’d be upset if Hughes gave up anything too significant for him. At this point he’s damaged goods.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
3 years in the bottom is enough for the fans, let's get that shit going LET'S GOOO !

We need a top 6 forwards

CC-Suzuki-Laine
Slaf-Dach-Roy
Newhook-Dvorak-Demidov

is a awesome top 9

Great prospect like Fowler, Barron, Mesar, Engstrom, Kapanen, CGY first, 2 x 2nd 2025 should all be sacrifice to make this happen.

It's really not.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

To be clear, he does not have addiction issues or dependency issues as I've seen in your last two posts. He is in the PAP for mental health due to several issues (injury, loss of father, injury and did I say injury). This risk with Laine at this point is whether he's into playing hockey or not and can he avoid injury. Many of his injuries are not soft tissue. His Cap hit isn't able to be a fit for all teams but his character and overall play should no longer be questioned if you watched, at all, when he played in Columbus. So the facts you can point to are his recent injury history and whether he's mentally healthy. We should know about the mental health any day now and the injuries... that's the risk. If he's back to his shooting self and continues to play his improved overall game... $8.7 AAV for 2 years won't be scoffed at. If not, it's a challenge (but at least only 2 years) and that's what a GM needs to decide when taking him on.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
To be clear, he does not have addiction issues or dependency issues as I've seen in your last two posts. He is in the PAP for mental health due to several issues (injury, loss of father, injury and did I say injury). This risk with Laine at this point is whether he's into playing hockey or not and can he avoid injury. Many of his injuries are not soft tissue. His Cap hit isn't able to be a fit for all teams but his character and overall play should no longer be questioned if you watched, at all, when he played in Columbus. So the facts you can point to are his recent injury history and whether he's mentally healthy. We should know about the mental health any day now and the injuries... that's the risk. If he's back to his shooting self and continues to play his improved overall game... $8.7 AAV for 2 years won't be scoffed at. If not, it's a challenge (but at least only 2 years) and that's what a GM needs to decide when taking him on.
Only if Waddell refuses to retain. I really think if there's the ability to retain, offering up Laine at 4-6M/season for the next two years would have a good chunk of the league making offers.

4is absolutely on the extreme edge of what they could/would do, but I think somewhere between 1-4M retention isn't TOO crazy.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I mean Laine would fit great in MTL with Slaf and Dach

What would CLB wants for Laine.

I mean there is not much we have that CLB wants i guess.
CLB D it stacked , Center line is awesome.

Could one of the best Goalie prospect in the NHL be a good start

MTL : Fowler
for
CLB : Laine (30% retained)

Dude. Montreal is rebuilding. Why would they ever give up a top 3 goalie prospect for Laine exactly? We need more prospects like Fowler not less.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
People are making it sound Laine is a scrub when he’s been a PPG player for Columbus most of the time.

He’s absolutely worth more than some goalie prospect. I don’t think Columbus needs goalie prospects given we have Ivanov and recently drafted Gardner.

Ideally we need a veteran top 4 LHD
Everytime I hear the battle cry on HF how said player has no value or is a negative contract, I question the average age on this site.

Covid and the subsequent flat cap made acquiring big money contracts a lot harder and a subsequent lack of moves because of it.

Last year people said Boeser had negative value and because he wasn't traded people who said that used that as proof, when the truth was there was plenty of interest but nothing Vancouver saw as worth and thank God for that.

This is how I see Laine, maybe a bit of retention to appeal to more teams but with the flat cap officially over there will be plenty of teams who can see through all the bullshit that he's gone through from injury, to bad coaching and some overall poor decisions.

Offering a goalie prospect who have basically no value until they dominate in the pros @30% might be legit the most shit offer I've ever seen for a guy that is an elite goal scorer, a good playmaker and despite what's gone on has no red flags in physical health.

If with the jackets or another team if he's put in an actual position to play to his strengths, the guy can be a game breaker.

Now that the jackets seem to be stabalizing, I hope they keep him and this time next year people will laugh at all the idiotic takes.

Would love this guy on the nucks and all the hab fans shitting on him, he's better than any player currently on your roster and you scoff at a goalie prospect that the odds say never makes it and 30% retention.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
what would be a decent prospect to you ?
A good rule of thumb is if you had a still young player who has scored 44 goals and even in his three years that everyone seems to shit on, he's had 56 points in 56 games. 52 in 55 and 9 in 18 and that's during tumultuous times where most Jackets struggled. If the jackets are motivated to move him and retain a million, based on 204 goals, 380 points in 480 games and locked up in his prime with a rising cap I'd say is value is a lot more than people think. TBF, I value production over magic beans and think prospects a currency and highly overrated on this site.

There's risk in any trade but aside from one bad year under Tortz 4 seasons ago, he's put up good numbers every year and is a lock for 30 goals 60 points which is what your 1c basically does.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
A good rule of thumb is if you had a still young player who has scored 44 goals and even in his three years that everyone seems to shit on, he's had 56 points in 56 games. 52 in 55 and 9 in 18 and that's during tumultuous times where most Jackets struggled. If the jackets are motivated to move him and retain a million, based on 204 goals, 380 points in 480 games and locked up in his prime with a rising cap I'd say is value is a lot more than people think. TBF, I value production over magic beans and think prospects a currency and highly overrated on this site.

There's risk in any trade but aside from one bad year under Tortz 4 seasons ago, he's put up good numbers every year and is a lock for 30 goals 60 points which is what your 1c basically does.
While I disagree that's "basically what Suzuki does" I do think Laine is being horribly undervalued here. I'd be all over him if the offer made sense for both sides. I'm not totally sure what exactly Columbus needs, so I won't make any proposal.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Assuming Laine wants to move, this still leaves CBJ with a lot of option. If they do not want to retain any salary, trade value would be low and MTL might be one of prime candidates. Maybe teams like Utah, Chicago or Anaheim would be involved.
However, they are not under salary pressure, so they can easily retain up to 50%. Trading Laine 2Y@4,35M would create so many different options where potential contenders like Colorado, Jersey or Rangers might get involved.

Reactions: Viqsi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Assuming Laine wants to move, this still leaves CBJ with a lot of option. If they do not want to retain any salary, trade value would be low and MTL might be one of prime candidates. Maybe teams like Utah, Chicago or Anaheim would be involved.
However, they are not under salary pressure, so they can easily retain up to 50%. Trading Laine 2Y@4,35M would create so many different options where potential contenders like Colorado, Jersey or Rangers might get involved.

50% retention for two years is $9.1M of cash. Blue Jackets were bottom 6 in attendance last year. If they retain, Waddell will have to have good reason to approach the ownership group about the business/money side of things.

I doubt any team will give the Jackets the right incentive in order for them to retain 50%. They might take a smaller contract back and a player that actually plays on their roster though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
While I disagree that's "basically what Suzuki does" I do think Laine is being horribly undervalued here. I'd be all over him if the offer made sense for both sides. I'm not totally sure what exactly Columbus needs, so I won't make any proposal.
We could still use an experienced second-pairing-or-better shutdown blueliner to shelter the kids as they grow up, but I don't think Montreal has one of those and the closest rough equivalent (Savard) is presumably still needed there given y'all's own blueline youth.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
This is why if I was the CBJ management, I would hold on to him and let him play under a new coach and GM, see how well he does, then if he still somehow wants to leave, find a suitable buyer rather than trading him right now at his absolutely lowest
This is what is going to happen. Considering where CBJ is organizationally (rebuilding), there's no reason to move Laine as a dump just yet. They will keep him and hope he can bounce back under a different coach.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
3 years in the bottom is enough for the fans, let's get that shit going LET'S GOOO !

We need a top 6 forwards

CC-Suzuki-Laine
Slaf-Dach-Roy
Newhook-Dvorak-Demidov

is a awesome top 9

Great prospect like Fowler, Barron, Mesar, Engstrom, Kapanen, CGY first, 2 x 2nd 2025 should all be sacrifice to make this happen.
Dach would be better center for Laine than Suzuki.
Yah zero chance Habs give their best G prospect and a guy like kapanen for Laine

Only deal that'd makes sense would be

Gallagher / Anderson
Mesar / Harris / Struble / Barron
2nd rder

For

Laine

Can't deal for Laine without one of the 2 above mentioned Habs players included.
That proposal is only bit better than Anderson + Martin St. Louis' autographed photo. 😼

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We could still use an experienced second-pairing-or-better shutdown blueliner to shelter the kids as they grow up, but I don't think Montreal has one of those and the closest rough equivalent (Savard) is presumably still needed there given y'all's own blueline youth.
Yeah that's a bit of a tough one for us. It'd be better to keep Savard for at least half the year. I doubt Savard+ even gets close for your side either, right? We likely don't have what you'd be wanting.

Can I interest you in some scraps instead? :naughty:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah that's a bit of a tough one for us. It'd be better to keep Savard for at least half the year. I doubt Savard+ even gets close for your side either, right? We likely don't have what you'd be wanting.

Can I interest you in some scraps instead? :naughty:
I think we'll pass on that, thanks. :D

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Dach would be better center for Laine than Suzuki.

That proposal is only bit better than Anderson + Martin St. Louis' autographed photo. 😼
And Laine is not worth more than that either. Not at 8.7M, not with his track record and MH issues. At the end of the day any tram acquiring him will be sending salary along.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I mean Laine would fit great in MTL with Slaf and Dach

What would CLB wants for Laine.

I mean there is not much we have that CLB wants i guess.
CLB D it stacked , Center line is awesome.

Could one of the best Goalie prospect in the NHL be a good start

MTL : Fowler
for
CLB : Laine (30% retained)

At $600,000 per goal, Columbus probably takes this and runs. Laine has no value. Exactly why he hasn’t been traded this summer.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And Laine is not worth more than that either. Not at 8.7M, not with his track record and MH issues. At the end of the day any tram acquiring him will be sending salary along.
If he is a bad asset, why do you (not you personally) want him? To get rid of your bad contract and take part of his salary? Waddell said Patrik will only traded if an offer comes in that management is happy with. If not, he'll start in Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad