Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
And….whither, Oshie? That’s absolutely Q #3, and the crux of it all, with the other 2 Q’s.

Of course ….. just IMO 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Very true, and I outlined that earlier this summer. I just don't see him playing, which is why it isn't a question in my book. If Oshie plays, that really changes the dynamic (both lineup composition and salary cap).

Reactions: Marshall

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I feel like McMike at wing has proven already to be not good. He's much stronger at C. Putting him at 2 RW is not a recipe for success and growth. I'd put him in at 3C and put Lappy on 2W. It's not my preference for Jimi, but I think he'll do better in that spot that CMM and can do spot duty at 2C. Overall, lots of questions and with them, lots of options. Gonna be an exciting camp and preseason. Bring. It. On.
I agree with this completely. Jimi seems stronger at C (overall) than McM, but we've seen McM be weak at W in the past. Will being more established as an NHL player allow McM the confidence to be more effective at wing? Or will the roster need to be constructed in a way that allows McM to play C?

McMichael had an underrated season in my book. Low totals overall, but that was largely a byproduct of a very low scoring team. He finished 4th on the team in goals (tied with Wilson) and 6th in points. McMichael scored more goals than both PLD and Mangiapane last year.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Not a fan of Wilson here. Just don't think he has the passing skill here needed. I'm more curious to see some others in this slot.

I know strome played with AO a number of times but in general offensive chemistry was not a strong point for much of the team for periods of time last year.
I know it's not everything but Ovi-Strome-Wilson had a 55.4% xG last season, good for 27th in the league out of all lines with at least 250 minutes together. It would've been 17th if you increase that threshold to 300 minutes, but they missed the cutoff by ~2.5 mins. For comparison, Ovi-McMichael-Oshie was at 36.4% and Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson was at 24.6% (!!!!)

I get that as a coach you want to try different things and maximize PLD, but to me that line pretty clearly works great and I would pencil in them as L1 and Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh as L4.

If you really want to go further, Mantha-McMichael-Protas was even better at 5v5 with a 57.9% xG. I would want to try seeing Mangiapane in the Mantha role there as L3. That makes L2 kind of a 'whoever's left' scenario with Lapierre-PLD-Milano which I'm not sure I love but also don't hate.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
During his time in Washington, Vrana was 4th in the league in Even Strength Goals per 60 mins. I'm not suggesting to gift him a roster spot but if he makes the team I'd move Ovechkin down to 2LW to keep him fresh for powerplays and keep Wilson on Line 1 as the right handed shooting option.

Vrana - Dubois - Wilson
Ovechkin - Strome - Mangiapane
McMichael - Lapierre - Protas
Milano - Dowd - Raddysh
I think Duhaime plays no matter what. It would be Raddysh that sits. Just IMO

Last edited:

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
What about:

Ovechkin - Lapierre - Strome
Vrana/Milano - PLD - Wilson
Mangiapane - McMichael - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh

Those are three evenly balanced lines right? Strome can focus some more on offense, Vrana can (if in shape) be an x-factor on that line with two 6’4 players. The 3rd line is basically slightly upgraded with Mangiapane over Mantha.

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I would start the Test Kitchen period out with...

Ovechkin - PLD - Protas
Lapierre - Strome - Mangiapane
Milano - McMichael - Wilson
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh

With Vrana having a really high bar to reach to displace anyone. I would like to see him be a happy warrior in Hershey for a bit (and not walk out and go for a downtown stroll...) before being considered for the big team.

Miroshnichenko may also force things at some point mid season, if not sooner. If he (or Vrana) do truly slot in on merit at some point it potentially forces a Milano trade.

Could mean something like:

Ovechkin - PLD - Protas
Lapierre - Strome - Miro
Mangiapane - McMichael - Wilson
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
All this postulating hypothetical speculation about our line-up is just a waste of time given the Utah Pizzazz will trounce everyone and everything in their path to their cup. With our current personnel, I don't even see us making it to the regular season. Connor MickyMike will be let go and he will join the Pens and score over 40Gs. Oh, and Ovi will retire at 890. #nohyperbole #clubcapilols #utahpizzazz

• Haha
Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Interesting and good story about Sandin and Carbery and I would have to agree with both of them. I understand why they let him go but man 32 thoughts won't be the same without Marek
Honestly it sounds like a good policy to have across the board to have the real exit interviews a few weeks after the season is over.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Milano is a no-brainer top 6 forward on this team. Best 5v5 per 60 producer over the last two seasons, good offensive impacts and decent enough defensively, and can play both wings. His main question mark is whether he can stay healthy.

Honestly a bit surprised people here are so down on him, especially on a bargain of a deal.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think Milano is a no-brainer top 6 forward on this team. Best 5v5 per 60 producer over the last two seasons, good offensive impacts and decent enough defensively, and can play both wings. His main question mark is whether he can stay healthy.

Honestly a bit surprised people here are so down on him, especially on a bargain of a deal.
I think it’s coming down to him vs Vrana vs kids (Miro, maybe Leonard) for ice time. Rest of the forwards, save Raddysh, really won’t sit. And that’s assuming Oshie is out.

Oshie in = Raddysh out, IMO

Vrana or Kids in = Milano out. Again, IMO.

I know I know…you’d jettison Wilson to the moon and play anyone else. But the only way Wilson touches the moon is via fantasyland. Both in real life and/or real life on the ice.

So….

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it’s coming down to him vs Vrana vs kids (Miro, maybe Leonard) for ice time. Rest of the forwards, save Raddysh, really won’t sit. And that’s assuming Oshie is out.

Oshie in = Raddysh out, IMO

Vrana or Kids in = Milano out. Again, IMO.

I know I know…you’d jettison Wilson to the moon and play anyone else. But the only way Wilson touches the moon is via fantasyland. Both in real life and/or real life on the ice.

So….

I don't think Wilson needs to go to the moon, but he probably shouldn't be penciled into the top 6 given his past two seasons of work.

I'd have Wilson on the kid line to start. And if they end up leaning heavily on the 4th line again then I think Wilson on the 4th line with heavy special teams usage makes a ton of sense too.

Ovechkin-Strome-Milano
Mangiapane-PLD-Protas
McMichael-Lapierre-Wilson
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

If Vrana, Miroshnichenko, or someone else force their way into the lineup with a standout preseason then I'd much rather sit Duhaime or Raddysh instead of Milano. Move Wilson or Protas down to the fourth line to accommodate Vrana or Miro or whoever in the top 9.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Mangiapane-PLD-Protas
McMichael-Lapierre-Wilson

That 2nd line needs finish and Protas isn't it. Wilson can score. Let the kids play together, they know each other well. Tinker if that doesn't work out, but don't hamstring our top 6 out of the gate with a wing that isn't a closer. I like Protas a lot, but that's not the spot for him.

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I tried to come up with some lines, but I think there are a lot of variables and the lines will be malleable, perhaps to the point of irking the fans.

Some thoughts:
- Ovechkin's center - Carbery said in a presser last season that looking at the analytics, whichever C is put with Ovechkin gets hot for about 8 weeks then cools down, thus center rotation. Don't see that changing. So it's Strome/DuBois/Lapierre from most time to least barring Ovechkin and PLD instantly connecting.

- Why did you leave out CmC/Rest of the top six - just my uninformed opinion, but I think the Caps have a rough deal in place to bring in a top six right winger. The draft-time rumors of CmC to Winnipeg, though it didn't go down, make me wonder if something was discussed then. That makes me hope for Ehlers, but that's all my WAG, and free to insert your preferred trade target.
AFAIK CmC is not in the pre-camp skates, but I could have missed him.

Soooooo...Mangiapane's a top-six, Milano can do it but he's fragile, Bad Wilson can't do it but better-than-bad Wilson prolly can. And RWinger X, of course. This also assumes Mr. Oshie spends a lot of time playing golf, unfortunately.

I think the 4th line will be somewhat wrote: Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh. Given the way Mac talked about the Raddysh signing at the time, I don't think he came here to be in the press box.

Lotsa chop, lotsa moving parts. I wonder if the season will be more about trends than consistent lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
That’s the Hollywood comeback story we all want for sure….hope you’re right. I just don’t see it.
He scored 34 goals in 83 NHL games since he was here last, and he's only 28. He's got the skill, if he can overcome his other challenges, whatever they are.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's basically the point of the PTO, right? You don't really know what someone is going to do. Low risk, potentially high reward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad