Proposal: MTL & CLB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That's fair. And to be clear, it's very evident that people haven't watched Laine since he was traded to Columbus. It's OK, it's not just Habs fans. It's the same in every proposal. I haven't read all of this one but I'm sure there is a fortnite reference or video games or something.

I don't think CBJ and MON are good trade partners and understand team's fans being hesitant. He's had injury after injury that not only affected his play but his mental state. We'll see what happens when he gets out of the PAP. I don't expect the world for him but do expect some value coming back to Columbus, more so if they retain.
Again this is my main point - look at the number of teams that can fit his full cap and then narrow that further to the teams that would actually be interested, imo you're basically down to Montreal, Carolina, Detroit and then maybe Utah and Buffalo. If he's retained, I think Seattle will be very interested but I don't really see anyone else.

I don't believe I've knocked Laine once as a player in this thread tbh, but he was dreadful last year and hasn't been able to stay healthy the two years before that, I just would be surprised if the general opinion around the league is anything but an expensive lottery ticket given his current situation. Seems like Columbus fans are expecting the consensus around the league to be "one of the best goal scorers in the league is available", and I just doubt that's the case

Reactions: viceroy and Xoggz22

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If you're not looking to acquire him for the top 6, that means you're not offering top 6 return, which means you'll get outbid because there are most definitely teams bidding on him being a top 6 guy.

As others have said he's a PPG player when healthy. You're not going to get him for anything less than top 6 value.

Look no further than Monahan... Was packaged with a 1st to get rid of him, only to be worth a 1st in a trade and now in this off-season was given a 5yr 5M deal by multiple teams, perceptions of a player change like the wind. And DW isn't going to sell low on him.

As skeptical as I am about there being any teams "bidding" for Laine to be a top 6 guy, I'm fine with Montreal not getting him because he's just not worth that to them.

And its pretty funny bringing up Monahan here, specifically in a trade proposal with Habs fans, because Monahan was moved with a first because of injuries leading to poor play and because of a high cap hit, regained his value and was signed to a much cheaper contract, was then traded for a 1st because of both those things (and because he was a center in a weak center market) and then was offered a 5 by 5 deal by two teams (in part because he was a center in a weak center market). And in case you bring them up, no, Montreal and Calgary did not offer him (or anyone) a contract with a 5 year term.

Laine's also got trade protection and I'm skeptical he even wants to play in a market like Montreal in the first place, but that's another reason to not expect top 6 value.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If you're not looking to acquire him for the top 6, that means you're not offering top 6 return, which means you'll get outbid because there are most definitely teams bidding on him being a top 6 guy.

As others have said he's a PPG player when healthy. You're not going to get him for anything less than top 6 value.

Look no further than Monahan... Was packaged with a 1st to get rid of him, only to be worth a 1st in a trade and now in this off-season was given a 5yr 5M deal by multiple teams, perceptions of a player change like the wind. And DW isn't going to sell low on him.
Crazy to think that the Monahan example supports your point here honestly - Monahan re-established his value, Laine's is currently at the lowest it has ever been.

So yeah it might be better to keep him and hope he can rebound if Columbus is dead set on getting top six value for him, but it doesn't sound like either side wants to do that so? What then?

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Columbus doesn't really have incentive to take on a Gallagher/Anderson type contract. Laine's deal is ending sooner and he's more movable. They might already have a deal lined up with him as soon as he is cleared by the PAP.

This is a player that scored 110 pts in 111 games in the two seasons prior to last year (when he had a concussion). Strong two way play as well. The injury risk is high but it doesn't put him on par with a very bad contract like Gallagher/Anderson. Folks need to re-set their expectations.

Laine is the perfect guy to give an opportunity to if you're late rebuild like the Habs. He's young enough to be a part of the future core if he works, and if he doesn't work, his contract is almost up. But there's several other clubs like Seattle or Utah where I'd say the same thing. You're not going to get paid (by dumping an atrocious deal) to take Laine.

Jackets need a shutdown LD option. They've already got Werenski and Provorov and likely Mateychuk to handle the LD offense.
The thing is the $8.7 million cap hit that a lot of teams cannot take on. There is risk involved with this player that could cost a GM his job.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Crazy to think that the Monahan example supports your point here honestly - Monahan re-established his value, Laine's is currently at the lowest it has ever been.

So yeah it might be better to keep him and hope he can rebound if Columbus is dead set on getting top six value for him, but it doesn't sound like either side wants to do that so? What then?
The point was that all it takes is one season to change the leagues perception of a player and that most GMs would want to attempt to capitalize that.

We don't know what both sides want. Waddell hasn't even been able to speak to him. One conversation can change a lot. It's not like Laine hasn't wait to be traded before, how long did Winnipeg take to fulfill his trade request?

The thing is the $8.7 million cap hit that a lot of teams cannot take on. There is risk involved with this player that could cost a GM his job.
Jackets don't need a dump in return. Worst case scenario they can retain on his salary, which makes him extremely appealing. Laine in the 4.5-6M range would have teams in a bidding war I imagine.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The point was that all it takes is one season to change the leagues perception of a player and that most GMs would want to attempt to capitalize that.

We don't know what both sides want. Waddell hasn't even been able to speak to him. One conversation can change a lot. It's not like Laine hasn't wait to be traded before, how long did Winnipeg take to fulfill his trade request?
Right, but he hasn't had that season yet, but you're asking for a team to pay that price with the expectation that a bounce back is inevitable...

And hasn't Waddell come out and literally said they're going to work on finding a deal for him? I've heard at least Friedman say such a thing. What have the local guys like Portzline said about the situation? Also, I think comparing this current situation to his previous in Winnipeg is a bit disingenuous, we both know there's a few more factors at play here

Reactions: viceroy

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
I mean Laine would fit great in MTL with Slaf and Dach

What would CLB wants for Laine.

I mean there is not much we have that CLB wants i guess.
CLB D it stacked , Center line is awesome.

Could one of the best Goalie prospect in the NHL be a good start

MTL : Fowler
for
CLB : Laine (30% retained)

Please stop

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
The only two players that might be available that Jackets would want are probably Guhle and Roy

A Guhle/Laine trade would probably have multiple picks going back and forth

Laine

for

Roy

would be easier to figure out
I think Roy is a totally fair ask for Laine, I would just personally prefer the team stick with the cheaper player (Roy) and give it a couple years for the team to develop together and for Demidov to arrive.

Reactions: Xirik

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Risky, risky when trading for damaged goods. I like Laine but lots of questions around his ability to make it in a small marketplace…..Mtl can crush players with his issues.
So the return? Start with PLD and build from there. Maybe a salary dump + b prospect.
This is Kent Hughes you’re negotiating with, he’s bargaining from a position of strength.…..Fowler isn’t being discussed

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm saying a player being slated to play in a top six doesn't always equal a player returning that value
Yes, sometimes teams get ripped off in deals. What makes you think that means we're going to just quietly go "oh, okay, go ahead and rip us off them"?

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
He's also barely cracked 100 games over the span of 3 years and last year when he played was objectively terrible.

You quite literally have no idea what player you're going to get, nobody is paying premium assets for a coin flip

I would do Anderson + Mesar Kidney + 2nd 6th - if that doesn't get it done, well darn
Fixed

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Again this is my main point - look at the number of teams that can fit his full cap and then narrow that further to the teams that would actually be interested, imo you're basically down to Montreal, Carolina, Detroit and then maybe Utah and Buffalo. If he's retained, I think Seattle will be very interested but I don't really see anyone else.

I don't believe I've knocked Laine once as a player in this thread tbh, but he was dreadful last year and hasn't been able to stay healthy the two years before that, I just would be surprised if the general opinion around the league is anything but an expensive lottery ticket given his current situation. Seems like Columbus fans are expecting the consensus around the league to be "one of the best goal scorers in the league is available", and I just doubt that's the case
I could see Utah having interest.
Maccelli Bjugstad Laine would be a dangerous 3rd line. But it would come down to the asking price.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think any of Hughes/Gorton, Bill Armstrong, or Ron Francis are getting fired if they take a shot on Laine and he's injured or unable to play well for whatever reason. It's only a two year deal, not a 5 or 7 year UFA contract.

I'm actually displeased as a Kraken fan that they chose to put all the cap into a very risky 7 year Chandler Stephenson contract instead of taking a chance on a younger guy like Laine who has much higher upside.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly I feel like there’s some horrific takes in this thread regarding Laine’s value. I feel like he would still return a very good piece if they ever decided to move him.

You're right about the first part, he could get a good return. The Jackets recently did decide to move him, the reason they can't yet is because he's still in the player assistance program and teams want him cleared to play first.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Waddell has stressed he's looking to make a hockey trade. That, to me, would mean some money is coming back as that suggests an NHL player as part of the return. So I don't think there is a trade that involves a team taking on a full return of $8.7. I also works anticipate CBJ doesn't take back a term greater than 2 years unless it's a core type player.

It's certainly a unique position. CBJ doesn't need to move him and they aren't Cap strapped so it will be interesting.

Reactions: Fro

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Laine is a tricky situation hes a big risk but also big reward kinda guy his value will depend on how manys teams are interested the cap hit,injuries and mental problems will scare alot but im sure a few will take the risk i love Fowler but if thats the best Columbus can do they better off keep him and hope hes bounces back hes still young and very talented i would be willing to offer more

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I really don't understand how people are saying Laine is a big risk. His contract ends in 2026. If anything, he's a lesser risk since you have 2 seasons to evaluate him, rather than having to make a decision at the end of the season if he bounces back.

Contenders probably won't be willing to take the risk, but bubble/rebuilding teams make a ton of sense.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
I have spent too much time arguing in favour of Montreal acquiring Laine to think that "we" want him in Montreal's top 6.

And there were pages of it. Fans also talked about JVR, Pacioretty, and literally any other winger with name recognition. If Montreal management was that motivated to fill in a top-6 hole, they wouldn't have been passive in Free Agency or the trade market. They clearly don't care about trying to fill that hole right now.

Laine's a good player who most teams should take a flyer on. He's also got a ton of question marks and cap hit that would seriously limit the number of teams who would be interested, especially since the teams who can best afford him are the teams who are least likely to pay up for him.

If the cost is a 1st+, then I doubt Montreal is interested. If its less than they probably are (even if I don't think they want to move Fowler instead of comparable or even better prospect in the eyes of HFBoards at a different position).
There's a big difference between taking a swing at 26 year old Laine with two years left and acquiring a free agent who could be a major cap-clogging mistake. No point filling that hole through free agency, not with 2024 UFA crop.

Low 1st has fetched us probable bust in Mesar and Newhook. I'd much rather have have Laine than either of them.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I mean Laine would fit great in MTL with Slaf and Dach

What would CLB wants for Laine.

I mean there is not much we have that CLB wants i guess.
CLB D it stacked , Center line is awesome.

Could one of the best Goalie prospect in the NHL be a good start

MTL : Fowler
for
CLB : Laine (30% retained)

Ridiculous. Fowler Habs future in net. No interest in trading him

Gaud

May 11, 2017
We have Fowler as insurance that Monty and Primeau arent just playing over their heads. Was it the Athletic that just had him as 3rd goalie prospect in the league presently?

I am not that into Laine, to be honest. I used to question his work ethic in Winnipeg, now i question his mental health issues (nothing wrong with MH issues, just concerned how playing in mtl affects him). We do need a good top 6 wingner and hes got 2 years on his contract, so im not against it. Just not for Fowler. I expect more of a package deal.

Reactions: viceroy

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Habs fans downplaying Laine's potential to return to form if the point is they're not interested in taking a chance on him and don't want to move assets anyway is fine.

Habs fans downplaying Laine's potential to return to form in the interest of justifying lowball offers for him in trade is just so much bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad