GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I won't but he is probably the best 3rd goalie you're going to get if he can stay healthy long enough to get a rhythm going

He's basically damaged goods and hardly has been a good goaltender for awhile. Maybe he bounces back and if a team wants to claim him to play in the NHL, then it's good for him. There isn't much to sweat about, we signed Stolarz for a reason. We have depth and capable goaltenders. I'd much rather have Hildeby get that many more games with the Marlies and maybe even NHL experience anyway.

If we're holding our breath for Murray to save our season, we're really in a world of hurt. There's going to be a decent amount of NHL goaltenders on waivers after training camp.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He's basically damaged goods and hardly has been a good goaltender for awhile. Maybe he bounces back and if a team wants to claim him to play in the NHL, then it's good for him. There isn't much to sweat about, we signed Stolarz for a reason. We have depth and capable goaltenders. I'd much rather have Hildeby get that many more games with the Marlies and maybe even NHL experience anyway.

If we're holding our breath for Murray to save our season, we're really in a world of hurt. There's going to be a decent amount of NHL goaltenders on waivers after training camp.
His last 2 seasons, he's had a .906 and .903sv%. The league average is .903. If you are getting that from your 3rd goalie, it's perfectly sufficient. Not to mention he had a 14-8-2 record for us.

Let's put it this way, if both Woll and Stolarz are either injured or struggling in the playoffs, I would rather Murray step in than a rookie in Hildeby be thrown into that position.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I like the fact that he always brings up that he wants to play fast. He will talk about heavy hockey, being responsible but the need to still play fast and not go too overboard with the physical stuff. One of the more subtle, under the radar ways to play fast hockey is by having a balanced L/R setup with your defence pairings which allows you to take a pass more crisply and also hitting players in stride.

Is this the slowest team we've had in a long time though?

Seems like the GM and coach need to get on the same page.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Who is slow? Matthews, Nylander, Marner, McMann, Domi, Dewar, Knies, etc all have wheels.

They’re not slow but only Nylander and maybe Knies have breakaway speed that the other team needs to really worry about. Good 4 way skating and edges in that group but they’re not going to force teams to hang guys back to cover the rush or have guys hearing footsteps on the forecheck.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They’re not slow but only Nylander and maybe Knies have breakaway speed that the other team needs to really worry about. Good 4 way skating and edges in that group but they’re not going to force teams to hang guys back to cover the rush or have guys hearing footsteps on the forecheck.

I'd really like to see a healthy McMann.

He has good speed with heft.

It's like he gets to the top ladder and then slips and is starting the climb again.

I just think he reminds me of Okposo with Tavares, but to me a 3rd. line with:

McMann - Tavares - Holmberg/Grebenkin/?

Grebenkin is RW, shoots Left, and has good speed and size.

Reactions: aingefan and rumman

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Sure individual speed is important but the point is there are systemic ways that you can get a team to play fast hockey.

For example, consistently curling back with the puck is a excellent way to keep possession and that's important but it can also limit your teams speed through certain areas of the ice and you're not always putting opposing defenders on their heals. When you get a step on the opponent, playing fast could mean continuing to push the puck past, put your shoulder down and drive the puck towards the net instead of opting to curl back.

Just happy that he's always bringing up playing fast and not someone who's just talking about playing physical and not insinuating that we need to beat the other team up.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Sure individual speed is important but the point is there are systemic ways that you can get a team to play fast hockey.

For example, consistently curling back with the puck is a excellent way to keep possession and that's important but it can also limit your teams speed through certain areas of the ice and you're not always putting opposing defenders on their heals. When you get a step on the opponent, playing fast could mean continuing to push the puck past, put your shoulder down and drive the puck towards the net instead of opting to curl back.

Just happy that he's always bringing up playing fast and not someone who's just talking about playing physical and not insinuating that we need to beat the other team up.

Im going to be happy if they will stop the blind drop passes. Drove me up the wall.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

When they speak about speed, it's not really about skating speed. We have plenty of players that can skate well. It's moving the puck quickly instead of just holding on, making quick decisions, quick exits, quick transitions, etc. Especially on the PP, drove me nuts last year. When you play fast you become less predictable and tougher to defend.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
When they speak about speed, it's not really about skating speed. We have plenty of players that can skate well. It's moving the puck quickly instead of just holding on, making quick decisions, quick exits, quick transitions, etc. Especially on the PP, drove me nuts last year. When you play fast you become less predictable and tougher to defend.

I just watched this clip of zone entries on the PP from like 2018.

Mitch gets the pass from Rielly and quickly attacks the middle of the ice with speed and carries the puck almost entirely to the opposing teams blueline before dishing it off to Kadri on the boards.

This was about as textbook of a clean effective zone entry on the PP and it's mostly due to the speed Mitch transports the puck thru the neutral zone.

Can't say I see much of that the past few years and it's a higher amount of drop passes moving up the ice and there's usually a cross ice pass around center to either Matthews or Marner.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who is slow? Matthews, Nylander, Marner, McMann, Domi, Dewar, Knies, etc all have wheels.
It’s not that they’re slow, they’re just not as quick as the opposition. They don’t need to be Mac or McDavid fast, but it’s handy to chase down pucks.

The D, on the other hand, that could be an issue and might be their Achilles.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I just watched this clip of zone entries on the PP from like 2018.

Mitch gets the pass from Rielly and quickly attacks the middle of the ice with speed and carries the puck almost entirely to the opposing teams blueline before dishing it off to Kadri on the boards.

This was about as textbook of a clean effective zone entry on the PP and it's mostly due to the speed Mitch transports the puck thru the neutral zone.

Can't say I see much of that the past few years and it's a higher amount of drop passes moving up the ice and there's usually a cross ice pass around center to either Matthews or Marner.

Usually their entries are pretty good. I haven’t had an issue with it, my comment was more so directed to what they do with the puck after gaining the zone. But yes, their entries haven’t been quite as effective recently. Again, predictable and when teams pressure you hard in the zone they have no answer. You have to move the puck fast to neutralize that puck pressure.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Usually their entries are pretty good. I haven’t had an issue with it, my comment was more so directed to what they do with the puck after gaining the zone. But yes, their entries haven’t been quite as effective recently. Again, predictable and when teams pressure you hard in the zone they have no answer. You have to move the puck fast to neutralize that puck pressure.

The slow methodical moving the puck up the ice on the PP also allows the opposing team to have it's defencemen really jam the blueline because there isn't much threat of speed zooming thru the neutral zone and going by defenders. It's basically, Drop pass, drop pass, attempted cross ice pass but we get stuffed at the blueline with almost no room to move.

In the playoffs we've had long stretchs where we had lots of trouble just getting the puck into the zone and cleanly set up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad