Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
being a random fan that wears a jersey with a certain emblem on it doesnt change the quality of your opinion :laugh:. Kinda like when Montreal fans came to the Columbus board after you guys got Anderson and proceeded to tell us about his game and 1 guy proclaiming him as the next LeClair. Guess we can be right once in awhile
I am a montreal fans and often feel embarassed by my fellow habs fans on these boards. I hope the trade works well for both teams.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I am a montreal fans and often feel embarassed by my fellow habs fans on these boards. I hope the trade works well for both teams.
The potential exists for sure. Obviously Laine has the skill and maybe a more offensive coach whose only plan isnt stick 100% to a bad system and punish creativity can do good for him. He still has a lot personally to figure out so it will be an interesting storyline.

Harris fills a clear need now for Columbus. I dont know if hes a longterm player here but he sounds like a solid kid who has value now and the capspace this creates opens up a world of possibilities moving forward.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
The potential exists for sure. Obviously Laine has the skill and maybe a more offensive coach whose only plan isnt stick 100% to a bad system and punish creativity can do good for him. He still has a lot personally to figure out so it will be an interesting storyline.

Harris fills a clear need now for Columbus. I dont know if hes a longterm player here but he sounds like a solid kid who has value now and the capspace this creates opens up a world of possibilities moving forward.
Yeah most montreal fans really liked Harris and saw top 4 potential in him but the team had such a log jam in the young defenders department and that kind of devalue all of them, oddly. He's not an offensive dynamo but he does show bursts of offensive brilliance every now and then. Defensively, he rarely makes mistakes and is good all around.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is it really trolling if you preface it with "Habs fan coming in peace"?
Depends on what comes afterward. I mean, say if (G-d forbid) Suzuki suffers an early season-ending injury and subsequently if I showed up on the Habs board saying "Jackets fan coming in peace, but Suzuki totally deserved it and I'm glad you pompous assholes have to suffer now", I would probably expect to be warned for trolling. ;)

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Even if he never develops further, there's clearly a long, useful career ahead for Jordan Harris. Dude belongs on the ice.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is a home run trade for the Habs. Zero risk and only (massive) reward. If Laine pans out and scores 30-35+ which I feel he will, this will be a gigantic win. If he doesn't pan out, they let him walk in 2 years or trade him. Even in the worst-case scenario they still have a 2nd rounder for Harris, who has been passed over in the depth chart.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Depends on what comes afterward. I mean, say if (G-d forbid) Suzuki suffers an early season-ending injury and subsequently if I showed up on the Habs board saying "Jackets fan coming in peace, but Suzuki totally deserved it and I'm glad you pompous assholes have to suffer now", I would probably expect to be warned for trolling. ;)
Only warned? I'd elevate myself to mod status and ban your ass myself! :sarcasm:

And that would actually be a favour. Sometimes the Habs board gets a little wacky.

All kidding aside, hopefully this is all just wild hypothetical talk. Habs fans (I assume almost all) have nothing against Columbus or their fans.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Laine is 7 years past his best season, that is not indicative of someone being in their "prime". Doesn't matter how old he is lol.

True. Also Laine "best season" does not necessary have to do anything with goals he made but how team played as a whole

2017-2018 with 70 pts he was second in scoring on his team
2022-2023 with 52 pts he was second in scoring on his team

You have to adjust, more than anything else, every player production drops after they move to Columbus

arguably his best season was 2021-2022 when he was PPG player and just 6 pts away from being best scorer on his team, thats two years ago

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You are right there in the basement with us but if youd like to act superior because your team was successful before many of us were alive then great.

If you cant handle criticism, especially when you are competing at the highest level you are going to have issues, which Laine has without a doubt had. Laine yelling at an assistant coach for example is not a "moron Torts" issue
That’s why Laine is best suited as a complimentary piece, which is what he’s going to be in Montreal.

The only question is if he’s going to accept and embrace his role. If he does, he’s going to find success in Montreal. He used to have that main character complex in Winnipeg and Columbus.

Reactions: CBJx614

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully this works out in a similar way the Vanek, Kovalev and Kovalchuk trades worked for MTL. Laine will certainly get more attention and an opportunity to get his career back on track.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
Great trade, I'm surprised the Habs were able to get him for this price. The Habs really needed a winger in the top 6. Its low risk and high reward, hopefully Laine can turn it around.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Since 2021:

Max Domi 166 points
Patrik Laine 141 points

🤷‍♂️
On Leafs, Stars, Hurricanes, Blackhawks and Jackets. Maybe Domi had a bit better teammates to play with? Still

Domi 291gp 49g 117a 166p

Laine 175gp 66g 75a 141p

...all but 3p Laine scored in Columbus. Pretty sure most have Matthews, Marner, Nylander on a different level than Jenner and Roslovic?

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
If you can put Laine in a position where he is tilted toward offensive opportunities with a playmaking center and a winger that wins puck fights in corners and is a good passer, then he will score goals. He will also be an asset on power plays

I picture him as a Jeff Skinner type of player.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
On Leafs, Stars, Hurricanes, Blackhawks and Jackets. Maybe Domi had a bit better teammates to play with? Still

Domi 291gp 49g 117a 166p

Laine 175gp 66g 75a 141p

...all but 3p Laine scored in Columbus. Pretty sure most have Matthews, Marner, Nylander on a different level than Jenner and Roslovic?

So based on your logic, we should now expect Laine's stats to get significantly worse as he starts playing with Kirby Dach and Alex Newhook, neither of whom have ever hit 40 points in a season? Damn, that sucks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad