Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Harris is a pretty articulate kid, and I'd see that is his main attribute on the ice (his intelligence). I don't see alot of offensive upside, and sometimes he gets in trouble down low for his physical limitations, but generally speaking, he should be a useful nhl level player.

Habs were able to do this deal because they have many young d-men, and a limited number of spots. Dealing from a position of abundance to address an area of need (top 6 winger).

You talk about the flexibility this opens up for Columbus. It's the same for montreal. If they can revitalize him the same way it worked out with monahan, you can flip him eventually, because his term is relatively small. Or, if you are really happy with him, you can re-sign him to be part of the team moving forward.

Wost case scenario, he doesn't work out at all, and that just means you wash your hands clean in a couple years, and you got a 2nd round pick out if it.

I have my questions, and probably would have waited for a better opportunity, but I'd be more concerned if they took on a larger term.
Which is probably why Columbus targetted him. Werenski, Jiricek, Severson and Mateychuk on the way has the potential to provide plenty of offense they just need some steady guys in there to maybe even partner with Jiricek in a 3rd pair role. They have something like 16mil in space now and noone to sign this year

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
You are absolutely right. Let us take Vilardi off your hands while he still has value. Guy can’t play more than 50 games a year.

We’ll let you keep your 2nd as well
Correct Vlardi is very injury prone, i wouldnt expect anyone to pay for his pace. Just like the Habs didn't pay for Laine's pace. I'dont know what you are doing here. Worst "gotcha" ever attempted.

Reactions: CBJx614

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Correct Vlardi is very injury prone, i wouldnt expect anyone to pay for his pace. Just like the Habs didn't pay for Laine's pace. I'dont know what you are doing here. Worst "gotcha" ever attempted.
Well you implied that Domi had a higher value than Laine because of his availability so I pointed out that we’ll take Vilardi off your hands for a player similar to Domi’s value (adjusted points for both) if you really think that.

Also, you’re right. Habs didn’t pay for Laine.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Well you implied that Domi had a higher value than Laine because of his availability so I pointed out that we’ll take Vilardi off your hands for a player similar to Domi’s value (adjusted points for both) if you really think that.

Also, you’re right. Habs didn’t pay for Laine.
Habs did good in the trade, I'm not disputing that. But that was Laine's value to the league, he got no value for pace. Fact is fact, you don't score any points if you're not in the line up. Pace means nothing when you have the history of missing games like Laine does.

I don't think you know who you are talking to. I'm not the Jets GM. But I acknowledged that Valardi's pace is worth a hell of a lot more than his actual production. I don't get what you are doing.

If you were to bet money on a Laine over/under for points next year you are definitely going to be considering his real points over his fake pace points.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Habs did good in the trade, I'm not disputing that. But that was Laine's value to the league, he got no value for pace. Fact is fact, you don't score any points if you're not in the line up. Pace means nothing when you have the history of missing games like Laine does.

I don't think you know who you are talking to. I'm not the Jets GM. But I acknowledged that Valardi's pace is worth a hell of a lot more than his actual production. I don't get what you are doing.

If you were to bet money on a Laine over/under for points next year you are definitely going to be considering his real points over his fake pace points.
Of course Laine had no value. Habs got paid to take on the contract.

But you made a good point with the bolded and I believe the same could be said about Laine. His injuries aren’t chronic (see Norris in Ottawa) and tend to usually fully heal meaning his odds of playing a full 82 games season are as good as anyone else, including a player like Vilardi.

Yes I am going to consider his total points versus his pace point in a hockey pool but if you ask me if I’d rather take the risk on a player like Laine or chose a « safer » pick in Domi, I’m still going with Laine.

Having an unlucky stretch of injuries happens all the time. Kucherov, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Perron, Monahan, Hertl to name a few all went through a couple of years of bad luck and injuries and yet now they are playing full seasons and being healthy.

My point was just because a player had a bad stretch and was often injured doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll happen again this season. Same goes for Vilardi.

P.S: Ehlers is a prime example of the point I’m trying to make.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What would you place the over/under on points for Laine next year?

It's impossible to make a reasonable estimate and that's why it's so intriguing.

I'll go back to Monahan... who knew he would be the only player to play 83 regular season games last year after all he's gone through?

I think he gets 2nd line winger duty with dach as his center, and probably newhook on the other wing.... along with 1st unit pp time. There may be some conflict here because Laine and caufield would ideally be positioned in the same area.... maybe one of them gets moved to the bumper spot. I think the bumper position makes it harder to compile points but it can be a great decoy tool if you have the right guy there.

The number of games played is where it's a guessing game for everybody, but I think that's most likely going to be the way he will be used.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Of course Laine had no value. Habs got paid to take on the contract.

But you made a good point with the bolded and I believe the same could be said about Laine. His injuries aren’t chronic (see Norris in Ottawa) and tend to usually fully heal meaning his odds of playing a full 82 games season are as good as anyone else, including a player like Vilardi.

Yes I am going to consider his total points versus his pace point in a hockey pool but if you ask me if I’d rather take the risk on a player like Laine or chose a « safer » pick in Domi, I’m still going with Laine.

Having an unlucky stretch of injuries happens all the time. Kucherov, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Perron, Monahan, Hertl to name a few all went through a couple of years of bad luck and injuries and yet now they are playing full seasons and being healthy.

My point was just because a player had a bad stretch and was often injured doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll happen again this season. Same goes for Vilardi.

P.S: Ehlers is a prime example of the point I’m trying to make.
Get your money ready and start placing bets now because I seriously doubt any gambling site agrees with you. You can make a killing.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Over a four year span, which would you rather have on your team?

Guy who plays 280 games and scores 166pts (~$4mil cap hit)

Guy who "could have" theoretically scored 300+ points but actually scored 141 due to spending large chunks of every single season on the injured list (~$9mil cap hit)

I'll take the first one every time.
What's your point? Everyone in Habs land is happy with the trade, you're not going to convince anyone 😉

I'd rather have a guy who's biggest issue is having been injured in the past and now healthy, than someone who stays healthy but can easily be replaced.

Let us Habs fans bask in excitement for now, you'll have all the opportunity later to call us out if you're right.

Reactions: Halberdier

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Over a four year span, which would you rather have on your team?

Guy who plays 280 games and scores 166pts (~$4mil cap hit)

Guy who "could have" theoretically scored 300+ points but actually scored 141 due to spending large chunks of every single season on the injured list (~$9mil cap hit)

I'll take the first one every time.

I think this point is flawed, because not having Laine in your line up for the 100 game (ish ) difference between the two doesnt mean you have no one. The player that makes the roster to replace him maybe gets 25+ points in that time span. Maybe the 2-3rd liner who gets a bump gets more points because of the new responsibilities he inherits.

I question Laine because of his work ethic, implication, etc, so in that sense i prefer Domi, but i dont kid myself thinking Domi is better.

Also, 174 games in 3 years is 58 a year. With his 0.81 ppg in that time frame, that puts him on par for 47 pts vs 49 for a full season of Domi. If the plug they put in the lineup in the case of an injury to Laine gets more than 2 points, that is the better scenario, no?

1724780240805.png

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think this point is flawed, because not having Laine in your line up for the 100 game (ish ) difference between the two doesnt mean you have no one. The player that makes the roster to replace him maybe gets 25+ points in that time span. Maybe the 2-3rd liner who gets a bump gets more points because of the new responsibilities he inherits.

I question Laine because of his work ethic, implication, etc, so in that sense i prefer Domi, but i dont kid myself thinking Domi is better.

Also, 174 games in 3 years is 58 a year. With his 0.81 ppg in that time frame, that puts him on par for 47 pts vs 49 for a full season of Domi. If the plug they put in the lineup in the case of an injury to Laine gets more than 2 points, that is the better scenario, no?

View attachment 903463
Ya but the extra 5M in cap space is huge.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
What's your point? Everyone in Habs land is happy with the trade, you're not going to convince anyone 😉

I'd rather have a guy who's biggest issue is having been injured in the past and now healthy, than someone who stays healthy but can easily be replaced.

Let us Habs fans bask in excitement for now, you'll have all the opportunity later to call us out if you're right.
We don't know that though. And that's part of the reason CBJ had to pay to move him. CBJ thought he was coming back fully healthy and ready to go for the last 4 seasons.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
So? That was 30 years ago in a wildly different NHL. We’re very sorry you lost your team, but a franchise with very stable ownership in a state with laws on the books preventing relocation isn’t moving anywhere even if suddenly not a single fan showed up (which clearly isn’t going to happen either, see the post you’re quoting and look at the dates).
Interesting, was just reading about the “Modell law.” Seems unlikely that it has the teeth to actually prevent a relocation but that won’t be an issue for CBJ either way. The most underrated fanbase in the league IMO. Dallas Stars are up there too.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Its only 5M when healthy, if he's getting injured as much as he is projected he'll just go on IR.
You still have to factor that in, he has to come off IR eventually and you have to plan for that as well.. which is also part of why Waddell wanted to move on from him, to allow for more flexibility.

Not to mention not every injury is IR worthy.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You still have to factor that in, he has to come off IR eventually and you have to plan for that as well.. which is also part of why Waddell wanted to move on from him, to allow for more flexibility.

Not to mention not every injury is IR worthy.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel, are you ?

Reactions: Wats

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
We don't know that though. And that's part of the reason CBJ had to pay to move him. CBJ thought he was coming back fully healthy and ready to go for the last 4 seasons.
I mean, I saw the way he was training, I don't think he could do that if he wasn't 100%

Doesnt mean he can't get reinjured.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Laine wasn't Montreal 's first choice obviously. Imagine there's reasons why. I doubt he's in their long term plans. Hughes almost traded the 21st pick in draft for Zegras. If Hage gone by 21 Zegras be in Montreal. Think about it? Kent Hughes willing to give up a first over Laine for free?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine wasn't Montreal 's first choice obviously. Imagine there's reasons why. I doubt he's in their long term plans. Hughes almost traded the 21st pick in draft for Zegras. If Hage gone by 21 Zegras be in Montreal. Think about it? Kent Hughes willing to give up a first over Laine for free?

We don’t know how high Laine would have ranked

Laine wasn’t available for trade untill all the major events had gone by, draft& july 1st

But I’d make a guess Montreal would love to see Laine get back to his game and sign him to a longterm contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad