Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
So based on your logic, we should now expect Laine's stats to get significantly worse as he starts playing with Kirby Dach and Alex Newhook, neither of whom have ever hit 40 points in a season? Damn, that sucks!
I love your logic. So, you suggest Suzuki and Dach are worse at distributing the puck than Roslovic and Jenner? :D :D

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
you know Domi had his career year with the Habs so imagine Laine:nod:
I am never shy on my dislike of the rebuild aside from a few moves, aside from this year's draft but I love the addition of Laine, especially for the price.
I find it hilarious that the post your responding to not only conveniently used just those seasons which includes 3 of his worst seasons mostly because of injury and not the best offensive team, nor did show the games played which is Domi 276 and Laine 174🙃

Did that dude just think that nobody would check the amount of games played? Domi 109 more games played 20 more points.

It reminds me of the time someone before last season said Boeser had no value and would require a 1st round pick as a sweetener but Konecny was far superior and worth a massive package in a trade but in reality they had almost an identical contract, same age but Boeser had far better numbers
All across the board.

It's hilarious how people just knowingly post shit to prove a point without proper context only to have the complete opposite effect.

I think Laine is the most talented player on the habs and as a fan of him especially now since he's been the victim of HF haters who thrive and get off on kicking players when they're at their lowest, I hope they play him with Suzuki.

Oops this was already pointed out

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Pointing out how Laine is constantly injured and misses large chunks of every season?
That is true yeah.
You need to be a man and take the L.
You tried to skewer the point totals of Domi and Laine knowing if you used games played Laine desroys Domi and then use Laines missed games to further shit on him when in reality his injuries were just a run of fluke, non- career altering injuries.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you and so many people here are so desperate to be right are not only disingenuous but after being called out, then double down with more bullshit takes instead of just saying alright ya you got me, I fuc*ked up.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Great trade, I'm surprised the Habs were able to get him for this price. The Habs really needed a winger in the top 6. Its low risk and high reward, hopefully Laine can turn it around.
We had the cap space and are in a position in our rebuild where we could take this kind of chance with our unused cap space. We also aren’t a cheap franchise. It’s a strange case where both teams in the trade were able to get exactly what they want. Columbus saves some real money and Montreal takes the risk but end of the day it doesn’t really hurt if it doesn’t work out.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
It's hard to think of this as a bad move for the Habs.

- Habs only had to give up Harris to acquire Laine. Harris was expendable with all the LD players in the organization, most of whom have a higher projected ceiling or current playing ability than Harris. (Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Struble, Xhekaj, Engstrom...)
- With the acquisition of Laine, the Habs cap space for this year is not expected to be an issue, and it is not likely to be an issue next year either because of expiring contracts.
- Laine's career PPG is higher than any current Habs player. He is a clear upgrade to their Top 6.
- Habs also got a 2nd round pick
- If Laine works out with the Habs, he could be extended next offseason. Alternatively, he could be traded with retention for a haul at the deadline next season.

There isn't really a lot of risk here. It's not like they've locked themselves into a really bad long term contract during a contending window. Even if he doesn't work out well, it's unlikely the Habs will be saying something regretful like "ahh, we should have traded Harris for someone better" or "ahh, we should have used that cap space on someone else". It's just not an issue for the situation they're currently in.

The upside here is a 30+ goalscoring winger, and if he works out, the Habs could be playing meaningful games late into the season.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Depends on what comes afterward. I mean, say if (G-d forbid) Suzuki suffers an early season-ending injury and subsequently if I showed up on the Habs board saying "Jackets fan coming in peace, but Suzuki totally deserved it and I'm glad you pompous assholes have to suffer now", I would probably expect to be warned for trolling. ;)
But knowing you for a number of years, I know that you would never do that...

Pointing out how Laine is constantly injured and misses large chunks of every season?
That is true yeah.
Great move of the goal posts...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If you can put Laine in a position where he is tilted toward offensive opportunities with a playmaking center and a winger that wins puck fights in corners and is a good passer, then he will score goals. He will also be an asset on power plays

I picture him as a Jeff Skinner type of player.
That's a lot of what ifs. Lol. Also, if he doesn't slip on a banana peel.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Over a four year span, which would you rather have on your team?

Guy who plays 280 games and scores 166pts (~$4mil cap hit)

Guy who "could have" theoretically scored 300+ points but actually scored 141 due to spending large chunks of every single season on the injured list (~$9mil cap hit)

I'll take the first one every time.

Reactions: TS Quint

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Over a four year span, which would you rather have on your team?

Guy who plays 280 games and scores 166pts (~$4mil cap hit)

Guy who "could have" theoretically scored 300+ points but actually scored 141 due to spending large chunks of every single season on the injured list (~$9mil cap hit)

I'll take the first one every time.

But that's the past, doesn't mean it'll play out like that in the future. If you get to take a gamble on one of those players for the future, do you still pick the first one? If you do, fair enough, but I'm sure you understand why someone else might prefer the latter.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Love how nobody will answer the question.

Because no one is questioning that Laine has been really injury-prone in the last seasons. That's a big reason why he only fetched what he did.

Doesn't change the fact that presenting the stat the way you did was disingenuous as hell and worthy of getting called out/laughed at.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If you can put Laine in a position where he is tilted toward offensive opportunities with a playmaking center and a winger that wins puck fights in corners and is a good passer, then he will score goals. He will also be an asset on power plays

I picture him as a Jeff Skinner type of player.
Dach and Newhook/Roy Come on down

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The best ability is availABILITY. It's part of the reason the BJs had the Laine fire sale. If youre not playing you're not helping. I doubt anyone has Laine penciled in for 82 games.
You are absolutely right. Let us take Vilardi off your hands while he still has value. Guy can’t play more than 50 games a year.

We’ll let you keep your 2nd as well

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I am never shy on my dislike of the rebuild aside from a few moves, aside from this year's draft but I love the addition of Laine, especially for the price.
I find it hilarious that the post your responding to not only conveniently used just those seasons which includes 3 of his worst seasons mostly because of injury and not the best offensive team, nor did show the games played which is Domi 276 and Laine 174🙃

Did that dude just think that nobody would check the amount of games played? Domi 109 more games played 20 more points.

It reminds me of the time someone before last season said Boeser had no value and would require a 1st round pick as a sweetener but Konecny was far superior and worth a massive package in a trade but in reality they had almost an identical contract, same age but Boeser had far better numbers
All across the board.

It's hilarious how people just knowingly post shit to prove a point without proper context only to have the complete opposite effect.

I think Laine is the most talented player on the habs and as a fan of him especially now since he's been the victim of HF haters who thrive and get off on kicking players when they're at their lowest, I hope they play him with Suzuki.

Oops this was already pointed out
What was Laine's trade value again? Posters on HF didn't make that up. He didn't get whatever Konecny package you are on about. How do you compare the Boeser contract to a guy that was given away for free? Where is the equivalence? How is curb side giveaway the sames as 3 x $6.65?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The potential exists for sure. Obviously Laine has the skill and maybe a more offensive coach whose only plan isnt stick 100% to a bad system and punish creativity can do good for him. He still has a lot personally to figure out so it will be an interesting storyline.

Harris fills a clear need now for Columbus. I dont know if hes a longterm player here but he sounds like a solid kid who has value now and the capspace this creates opens up a world of possibilities moving forward.

Harris is a pretty articulate kid, and I'd see that is his main attribute on the ice (his intelligence). I don't see alot of offensive upside, and sometimes he gets in trouble down low for his physical limitations, but generally speaking, he should be a useful nhl level player.

Habs were able to do this deal because they have many young d-men, and a limited number of spots. Dealing from a position of abundance to address an area of need (top 6 winger).

You talk about the flexibility this opens up for Columbus. It's the same for montreal. If they can revitalize him the same way it worked out with monahan, you can flip him eventually, because his term is relatively small. Or, if you are really happy with him, you can re-sign him to be part of the team moving forward.

Wost case scenario, he doesn't work out at all, and that just means you wash your hands clean in a couple years, and you got a 2nd round pick out if it.

I have my questions, and probably would have waited for a better opportunity, but I'd be more concerned if they took on a larger term.

Reactions: CBJx614

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You need to be a man and take the L.
You tried to skewer the point totals of Domi and Laine knowing if you used games played Laine desroys Domi and then use Laines missed games to further shit on him when in reality his injuries were just a run of fluke, non- career altering injuries.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you and so many people here are so desperate to be right are not only disingenuous but after being called out, then double down with more bullshit takes instead of just saying alright ya you got me, I fuc*ked up.
Joint injuries and concussions are career altering.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Because no one is questioning that Laine has been really injury-prone in the last seasons. That's a big reason why he only fetched what he did.

Doesn't change the fact that presenting the stat the way you did was disingenuous as hell and worthy of getting called out/laughed at.
What would you place the over/under on points for Laine next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad