Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Look at Koivu.

Once he announced he was fighting cancer he became bulletproof as far as the fan base and media was concerned and as long as he was putting a good faith effort, he was beloved, supported and untouchable.

Laine could take the same pathway. Admit to having the demons that he's battling, step up and lead in the character department and he'd be the golden child, protected and embraced by Montreal fans and media.
Hab fans and media want to win. If a star gives a half assed effort both will be on him like vultures.

That is why Dubois and Laine would be treated vastly different. After what Dubois did in LA, i wouldn't be suprised if he was spat on the street. Laine is vastly different in that he admitted to fighting demons and he comes in WANTING to do his best.

All Laine has to do is try. If he doesn't and ice grazes game after game, then all bets are off. No one gets excused from a lousy effort and attitude.

Lastly, Hughes made the above very clear to him. He wants Laine to help the team win and he doesn't care if its only 20 goals. That is not as blunt as i put it but it's exactly that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hab fans and media want to win. If a star gives a half assed effort both will be on him like vultures.

That is why Dubois and Laine would be treated vastly different. After what Dubois did in LA, i wouldn't be suprised if he was spat on the street. Laine is vastly different in that he admitted to fighting demons and he comes in WANTING to do his best.

All Laine has to do is try. If he doesn't and ice grazes game after game, then all bets are off. No one gets excused from a lousy effort and attitude.

Lastly, Hughes made the above very clear to him. He wants Laine to help the team win and he doesn't care if its only 20 goals. That is not as blunt as i put it but it's exactly that.
Laine's last game in Winnipeg vs PLD's last in Columbus says abit about their character.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Source: Spilled Tea: Radio Interview Details Past Locker Room Issues For Patrik Laine, Blue Jackets

He IS a big personality, he beats to his own drum, like Kane's influence over Meier, or PLD over Peeke. If vets like Foligno, Atkinson, Nyquist, Werenski, Jones etc deem that the star player needs to go, he is having an impact on culture. Now this "fun guy" comes in into a room with Caufield, Slaf etc... do you want to take the risk? What if he decides that the media spotlight is too strong in MTL and he becomes disgruntled again? Can a younger Suzuki keep him in line? Either way, this'll be fun to keep an eye on the next two years.

Maurice/Waddell cannot wait to let him go, you must have to ask why?
Agreed. But I like Montreal’s management and MSL being a former all star nhler himself should help get laine’s attention. I think the spotlight could be beneficial for laine. The media and fans and the coaching staff won’t let laine have his mind wonder off. It’ll be gogogo! Being in an environment where you are lazidasical sp. where the expectations are high all around will give laine the extra push he needs to be focussed and determined.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agreed. But I like Montreal’s management and MSL being a former all star nhler himself should help get laine’s attention. I think the spotlight could be beneficial for laine. The media and fans and the coaching staff won’t let laine have his mind wonder off. It’ll be gogogo! Being in an environment where you are lazidasical sp. where the expectations are high all around will give laine the extra push he needs to be focussed and determined.
Fantilli said some great things about Laine, so locker room drama sure can be dramatized depending on the situation.

Laine is going to love Montreal.............and the players and culture that are there.......he will help create an upswing in their teams performance.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

All my homies hate PLD

All my homies love patrick Laine

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Laine's last game in Winnipeg vs PLD's last in Columbus says abit about their character.
I didn't follow Laine but i did follow Dubois in the LA in his performance and their forum. He was laothed by LA fans as much as i loathed him.

I don't know the guy personally but i know his type. All my career I've been in manufacturing management and met many lazy ass, minimum effort types who talked a good game but lived on doing the least work possible. Then the vast difference of people with mental or physical difficulties doing their absolute best. I would bend over backwards teaching and giving that group every opportunity possible vs getting rid of the former...at every opportunity possible.

That's the two categories is see in Laine and Dubois.

Reactions: mattihp

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Fantilli said some great things about Laine, so locker room drama sure can be dramatized depending on the situation.

Laine is going to love Montreal.............and the players and culture that are there.......he will help create an upswing in their teams performance.

Columbus allowed Laine to be a mentor for Fantilli

You’d think if Laine was a problem they’d have had some issues with it..

& Fantilli loved Laine

I didn't follow Laine but i did follow Dubois in the LA in his performance and their forum. He was laothed by LA fans as much as i loathed him.

I don't know the guy personally but i know his type. All my career I've been in manufacturing management and met many lazy ass, minimum effort types who talked a good game but lived on doing the least work possible. Then the vast difference of people with mental or physical difficulties doing their absolute best. I would bend over backwards teaching and giving that group every opportunity possible vs getting rid of the former...at every opportunity possible.

That's the two categories is see in Laine and Dubois.

I believe Laine was a player of the game or something like that in his last game with Winnipeg

Unlike PLD he never stopped playing

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They already have Cole Caufield who has been a good fit with Suzuki and Slaf. I think Laine will be on the second line with Kirby Dach as his centre.
I think he'd be a good fit with Dach and Armia. Armia doing the skating and digging for Laine who can set up shop in the scoring areas.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
People seem to be hard on CBJ but I think this was an ok move.

I am interested to see if Laine can bounce back from all his issues but for CBJ it lets them move on.

As a CBJ fan, it's acceptable because we changed the management and cleaned house. But it's almost definitely going to look dumb for D-Wad when Laine scores 60. Not an easy win situation

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I live in Montreal and Dubois walked past me in a busy neighborhood (Plateau Mont-Royal) after finishing a run a couple of months back. No one is noticing this guy.

The way people think how Montreal works is so archaic.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I could see how Larsen and Vincent were not the right coaches for Laine with this issues he dealt with. The boys love Marty and everyone raves about his leadership and coaching style. Habs play a pretty relax system too, with the emphasis on just letting your talent do the work rather than Xs and Os. He could be the right coach to push Laine much like Paul Maurice was

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I could see how Larsen and Vincent were not the right coaches for Laine with this issues he dealt with. The boys love Marty and everyone raves about his leadership and coaching style. Habs play a pretty relax system too, with the emphasis on just letting your talent do the work rather than Xs and Os. He could be the right coach to push Laine much like Paul Maurice was
"Pushing" Laine is the worst thing you can do. I love the dude but he'll fold like origami.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Paul Maurice pushing was mostly pairing him with Bryan Little whilst the two had negative chemistry.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I live in Montreal and Dubois walked past me in a busy neighborhood (Plateau Mont-Royal) after finishing a run a couple of months back. No one is noticing this guy.

The way people think how Montreal works is so archaic.
Truth. I've had the same experience with multiple players, past and present. Players are discussed in the Montreal media, but never bugged in everyday life. If Laine doesn't spend his days Googling his name he'll easily avoid the pressure of this market, which will be even easier since he doesn't understand french.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
21/22- finished 10th in the East

22-23 16th in the East

23-24 we were out of the playoffs by like November yet

When this team pops off, the town is going to lose it's shit. It deserves and expects a winner.

Not to mention they've already all but sold out Ohio stadium for the stadium Series (100,000+ seats)

Québec City says Hi!

• Wow
Reactions: HabsQC

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Québec City says Hi!
So? That was 30 years ago in a wildly different NHL. We’re very sorry you lost your team, but a franchise with very stable ownership in a state with laws on the books preventing relocation isn’t moving anywhere even if suddenly not a single fan showed up (which clearly isn’t going to happen either, see the post you’re quoting and look at the dates).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad