Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
For how little hustle he has, he was an OT god for us there at one point. He's better when the game is less physical. Which is a shame cause dude is a hoss.

Laine is OT god because 3 on 3 they just can't block him from getting a good shot at net. And when he gets an unobstructed shot, game ends.

5 on 5 someone is always there trying to harass him to keep the shots at bay, but 3 vs 3 there's no effective way of dealing with it because there's so much room.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm happy Habs GM is taking risks. They were stuck in no mans land with a GM who tried to improve the team with borderline 3rd liners UFAs. In fact, winning teams are actually taking risks.
I don't even think its that much of a risk given that the Habs won't be using that capspace this year or next. Its just money. Not my money. Molson's money and its chump change to him.

I responded by pointing out adding Laine actually takes opportunities away from MTLs kids.
That's a very misguided take. Laine actually creates offensive opportunities for the Habs kids. We were missing a key winger on the 2nd line to go with Dach / Newhook and Laine fills that perfectgly.

He will make Dach / Newhook better players by virtue of his offense. Exactly what they needed.

Its hilarious that you are desperately grasping at straws trying to crap on what is a master class in GMing.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, the potential extra 1 mill along with laine's massive 8.7 mill salary (this is the key part), could be a massive detriment to a team potentially trying to compete next year if he doesn't work out.

Once again, nobody has said they won't be cap compliant.

They will simply be over the 88 mill limit and so using LTIR relief, preventing them from accruing cap space
Again you are incorrect. They will be under the 88M cap limit after they demote 3 x players (2.0M) to the AHL prior to season start. Then they can put Price on LTIR and re-call the players buying 8M over the 88M limit in cap space if they choose to use it. When you have 8M in capspace, you don't need to accrue anymore. LOL

You clearly don't understand how it works but i am always happy to educate you. Reach out via conversation and i will walk you through how it works! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Chose

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Laine is 26, shame on all of you saying he's taking opportunities from someone.
In dgibb's head he's 36! lol

Forget Laine, I'd still do this trade 10/10 times with just Harris and the 2nd pick
Colombus should have tried with Barron instead, or Struble

Laine is just the cherry on top
Exactly, its capspace we won't be using and Molson's money, not mine. I think certain posters are jealous that the Habs can take on Laine's salary like its buying a pack of bubble gum.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Exactly, its capspace we won't be using and Molson's money, not mine. I think certain posters are jealous that the Habs can take on Laine's salary like its buying a pack of bubble gum.

The Cap Hit is high, but Who f***ing cares, we ain't competing next year

If Laine is a problem in two years, we just have to trade him to a shitshow team and attached picks to it

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Laine is 7 years past his best season, that is not indicative of someone being in their "prime". Doesn't matter how old he is lol.

Focusing on best season is not a great metric. He had his 2 highest point per game seasons before last year. Even with league scoring going up I’d say that’s still his prime.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The Cap Hit is high, but Who f***ing cares, we ain't competing next year

If Laine is a problem in two years, we just have to trade him to a shitshow team and attached picks to it
Why trade him. Just see through the contract and be done with it. Or demote to the AHL. We won't be competing in 2025-2026.

I love Columbus. First they save our ass by rejecting to trade the 4th overall pick, allowing us to get Demidov. And now this?! I wish your franchise all the very best going forward.
We thanked them by giving em Jordan Harris! ;)

Reactions: HabsQC

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
Great trade for the Habs. Of course there are question marks around him, last year was a train wreck. I seriously think he has a top 3 shot in the league and a talent like that would never have been available for free if the PAP thing didn't happen. It was a unique opportunity and Habs was the only team that was able to grab it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Again you are incorrect. They will be under the 88M cap limit after they demote 3 x players (2.0M) to the AHL prior to season start. Then they can put Price on LTIR and re-call the players buying 8M over the 88M limit in cap space if they choose to use it. When you have 8M in capspace, you don't need to accrue anymore. LOL

You clearly don't understand how it works but i am always happy to educate you. Reach out via conversation and i will walk you through how it works! ;)
Yes, they can use the 8 million $ in LTIR relief this year. Nobody is claiming MTL will not be able to ice a cap compliant roster.

What they can't do is pay off ELC bonuses that will be earned by Hutson, Slafkovsky, and Guhle this year, because they will not accrue any space towards that (unless they free up space at the deadline, and have 0 injured players from the deadline on)

And so, since they will not be able to pay those bonuses on this years cap, it will toll over and be taken out of MTLs 25-26 salary cap.

I'm happy Habs GM is taking risks. They were stuck in no mans land with a GM who tried to improve the team with borderline 3rd liners UFAs. In fact, winning teams are actually taking risks.
I 100% agree. It's a good risk to take.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, they can use the 8 million $ in LTIR relief this year. Nobody is claiming MTL will not be able to ice a cap compliant roster.

What they can't do is pay off ELC bonuses that will be earned by Hutson, Slafkovsky, and Guhle this year, because they will not accrue any space towards that (unless they free up space at the deadline, and have 0 injured players from the deadline on)

And so, since they will not be able to pay those bonuses on this years cap, it will toll over and be taken out of MTLs 25-26 salary cap.

I 100% agree. It's a good risk to take.
And in 25-26 they will stilll have a ridiculous amount of capspace to work with - with 15 - 16M coming off the cap and ELC players coming in.

Its not even a risk. Its leveraging capspace for assets.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And they will get PP2 time. Not a big deal when Dach / Newhook benefit from Laine's presence 5 on 5. Its incredibly valuable for Dach's development having a top-line winger on his line.

Using your lame logic, Jack Hughes takes PP1 time away from Nico Hischer, so he's a negative impact on the other players....
Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier both play on PP1.

If you wanted to use an example, it would have been Tyler Toffoli, who 100% took PP1 time away from other NJD players.

Great trade for the Habs. Of course there are question marks around him, last year was a train wreck. I seriously think he has a top 3 shot in the league and a talent like that would never have been available for free if the PAP thing didn't happen. It was a unique opportunity and Habs was the only team that was able to grab it.

Jake Guentzel is a superior talent and quite literally was available as a free agent like a month ago.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And they will get PP2 time. Not a big deal when Dach / Newhook benefit from Laine's presence 5 on 5. Its incredibly valuable for Dach's development having a top-line winger on his line.

Using your lame logic, Jack Hughes takes PP1 time away from Nico Hischer, so he's a negative impact on the other players....
Kirby Dach has gotten the opportunity to play alongside a top line winger basically his entire career.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kirby Dach has gotten the opportunity to play alongside a top line winger basically his entire career.
At the end of 2022-2023 Kirby was centering the 2nd line but didn't have much to work with. Then injured all of last year. Going into this year the 1st line is set. He would have had very little to work with on the 2nd line. But thanks to the brilliant trade by Hughes, he has a top-line winger with a nasty shot. This is massive for Dach this coming season.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
“I think he’s gonna be better than Suzuki” Im so tired of hearing this. Ive been a big Kirby fan since junior but come on… its time that yall put some respect on Nick… been the #1 center for a couple of years now, plays pk pp, always progress every year stats wise, almost a pts per game this year and hes an iron man
I do think that Nick is a great player, it's no slight to him, I just think that Dach makes players who play with him better in a way that Nick just doesn't, I think he makes a better center, provided he reaches his potential. Nick is a good Jack of all trades player. If you can't handle other opinions then don't bother replying.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Well, well, well I saw:D Patrik Laine live and his Finland comapdres win the whole lot JVM back in 2016 in Helsinki, Finland.

Why don't you do it again Finland?!

Now.

Why not?!

Are you afraid of ... Sidney Crosby?!:laugh:

Not sure even Patrik Laine even makes the Finland squad this time around - time to step up even there mr. Laine, me thinx.:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad