Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
Problem child ... or not that's the big, big question about Laine.:huh:

A AC/DC guy - or a ADHD-guy Patrik Laine?!

One thing is still pretty sure - he (Patrik) speaks way, way better English than some of the journalists that intervjued him comin' to Montreal!:D

Seems like a Columbus (mob) Crew ruled the locker room back in Ohio.

Headhuntin' for a couple of European guys (Laine and Elvis) explicit; even thou' a Swedish chap was involved what it seems in the ... progress.

Well, Columbus left Europe - Laine left Columbus.
People

Thank God for that ...

... and thank you Patrik, eh Peter! - as Bon Scott would'ave it!:thumbu:

What the actual f*** is this gibberish

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Is MSL not 5'8"? Is that not nearly a foot shorter than Laine? Is he simply going to keep Laine in line with his giant thighs? Or his magic leadership abilities that have so far yielded--checks notes--three straight finishes at eighth of eight in the Atlantic.

So you're saying Laine will only listen to people over 6'4"?! That's an odd conclusion, what is this based off of?

And it was MSL's coaching that put them in last?!?! I thought it was because the organization is currently in a rebuild, one publicly confirmed by their GM. As far as I knew, rebuilding teams historically did worse than other worse currently competing, hmm weird.

Or I guess the other conclusion is you just spew nonsense, based off of nothing, with little to know logic or reasoning.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
One would have to assume they talked to Pascal Vincent at length about Laine.
During his press conference, Hughes insisted that he, Gorton and St-Louis had talked to Laine and all had been involved in the process. But he was asked twice if they had involved Pascal Vincent specifically, and stubbornly refused to answer. He seemed rather uncomfortable.

It's a safe bet that Gorton and Hughes did ask Vincent about Laine and, based on the shitshow that Columbus was and how Laine had to be benched and even healthy-scratched, Vincent presumably didn't paint a glowing portrait of the player.

I assume that is part of the reason we got him and a 2nd round pick for table scraps.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah your astute judge of hockey talent I was looking for 🙄. At least in your own mind….

I’m not a CBJ fan fyi
Sorry, I thought you Jackets fan.

I see 40 goals for Laine this season. Going on the record I guess.
Dach is puck hound and Laine good shot on left side. I see some chemistry. Also Marty maybe good for him. Colombus many trouble coaches recently. Babcock, Torts, Vincent. Likely hurt his mental health

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Is MSL not 5'8"? Is that not nearly a foot shorter than Laine? Is he simply going to keep Laine in line with his giant thighs? Or his magic leadership abilities that have so far yielded--checks notes--three straight finishes at eighth of eight in the Atlantic.

You're all full of hope right now. It's the offseason. This is the time to be optimistic. We were all very, very excited to bring him into Columbus, too. Which had been a playoff team for four straight years when he came in, I would like to remind you. Foligno had not yet been traded, and as a Blue Jacket he was a winner of both leadership awards the NHL has, the Clancy and the Messier. The team was delighted to get the PLD cancer out of the room. And sure, it's since come out that it turned out that team leadership--all North Americans and a Swede so North Americanized he doesn't even speak English with a detectable accent--took an immediate dislike to Laine. You know what Montreal's current leadership also looks like? A lot of North Americans. I hope it's different for Montreal, but Laine has come into two heavily North American teams and immediately clashed with them now. I'm simply telling you to temper your expectations.

A 24-21-11 record is not over .500, as that's 24 wins to 33 losses, but okay.
Laine did so because he came in with a main character syndrome thinking he was better than everyone else.

At this point its safe to say that we know what Laine is - a high end complimentary piece. If Laine come in with a great attitude and know his place in the hierarchy and play his role, he will be successful. If he comes in thinking he’s the main character & the best player in the world, he’s going to be facing yet another wall.

Montreal is banking on Laine learning a valuable lesson from past experiences and I like to think that the tine Laine spent in the program should have helped him reach that goal.

The recipe to success for Laine isn’t that hard. Don’t play video games & be humble.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

You're all full of hope right now. It's the offseason. This is the time to be optimistic. We were all very, very excited to bring him into Columbus, too. Which had been a playoff team for four straight years when he came in, I would like to remind you. Foligno had not yet been traded, and as a Blue Jacket he was a winner of both leadership awards the NHL has, the Clancy and the Messier. The team was delighted to get the PLD cancer out of the room. And sure, it's since come out that it turned out that team leadership--all North Americans and a Swede so North Americanized he doesn't even speak English with a detectable accent--took an immediate dislike to Laine. You know what Montreal's current leadership also looks like? A lot of North Americans. I hope it's different for Montreal, but Laine has come into two heavily North American teams and immediately clashed with them now. I'm simply telling you to temper your expectations.

You've woven a long story that doesn't really add anything. Literally everyone understands this was a low-cost, high-potential trade for Montreal that also gives Columbus the space they need. For Montreal, adding Laine doesn't block the incoming rookies or developing players, nor does his contract interfere with their timeline.

As for Laine himself, he's the latest in a long list of players who've had issues within the dressing room. Most matured and rebooted their career on another team. Kane, Kadri, Subban come to mind... there've been plenty of others. The secret to reinventing themselves had nothing to do with Clancy and Messier award winners, it was simply a function of age. A kid in his early 20s isn't the same person he'll become in his late 20s. A fresh start, good coaches, a welcoming culture is often all that's needed.

I have absolutely no idea what Martin St-Louis' height has to do with Laine's success. And 24-21-11 is not 33 losses – that's not how points work in the NHL.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
A long list of players have seen their offensive numbers nosedive after joining the Canadiens? Really, like who (please don't list guys that came at the tail end of their careers)? Better yet, tell me about the players whose offensive numbers have nosedived after coming to Montreal during the Gorton/Hughes era.
He doesn't have any example , maybe gionta and gomez? they were passed their prime though. He's acting like we are a place where offence goes to die but the reality is we have had some garbage forward groups for a long time.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Also, still not how LTIR works.

Price will be on MTL this year, forcing them to use LTIR, preventing them from accruing cap space and causing bonuses to rollover to next year
Mtl can easily ice a cap compliant roster with out Price on LTIR on day one. They can then move him on LTIR in season freeing up his 10.5M to be used in season. You are right no space will accrue but the 10.5 is then available more than they need. I don't see them acting as a 3rd party retainer at the deadline as they have only one retention spot. (the 10.5M generated by adding him to LTIR in season is more than enough).

Any bonus earned this year will roll over to next year but there is plenty of cap space next year. They have about 65M commited to next year for 9F (Laine/Suzuki/Caulfield/Slaf/Dach/newhook/gallagher /Anderson/roy) 4D (Matheson/Guhle/Xjakej/Barron) and 1G Montembault. There is another 10.5M dedicated to Price takes them to 75M if they don't want to use LTIR next yr.

Primeau will need a contract - won't be massive. On D the extra spots will be filled by guys like Reinbacher, Hutson maillioux, Engstrom - all of who are still on ELC so three more D adds less than 3M in cap use.

Up front the extra roster spots will go to guys like Kappannen/Beck/mesar/Tuch/Demidov/ the oher Xhekaj- again all will be still ON ELC. so add any 4 for 4M. Say primeau is great this year and gets a monty type contract for 3M.

So 65M used, plus 10 more for Primeau and a bunch of ELCs to get a full roster and Prices 10.5M you are at about 86M- plenty left for any 2024-25 bonus overages.

Then for 26-27 Price off the books. Laine is a UFA, Dach Barron, Roy, Xhekaj,Roy, Hutson and Mailloux are RFAs. Based on this off season many of those RFAs will be extended next summer. Kent likes to get work done early

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Mtl can easily ice a cap compliant roster with out Price on LTIR on day one. They can then move him on LTIR in season freeing up his 10.5M to be used in season. You are right no space will accrue but the 10.5 is then available more than they need. I don't see them acting as a 3rd party retainer at the deadline as they have only one retention spot. (the 10.5M generated by adding him to LTIR in season is more than enough).

Any bonus earned this year will roll over to next year but there is plenty of cap space next year. They have about 65M commited to next year for 9F (Laine/Suzuki/Caulfield/Slaf/Dach/newhook/gallagher /Anderson/roy) 4D (Matheson/Guhle/Xjakej/Barron) and 1G Montembault. There is another 10.5M dedicated to Price takes them to 75M if they don't want to use LTIR next yr.

Primeau will need a contract - won't be massive. On D the extra spots will be filled by guys like Reinbacher, Hutson maillioux, Engstrom - all of who are still on ELC so three more D adds less than 3M in cap use.

Up front the extra roster spots will go to guys like Kappannen/Beck/mesar/Tuch/Demidov/ the oher Xhekaj- again all will be still ON ELC. so add any 4 for 4M. Say primeau is great this year and gets a monty type contract for 3M.

So 65M used, plus 10 more for Primeau and a bunch of ELCs to get a full roster and Prices 10.5M you are at about 86M- plenty left for any 2024-25 bonus overages.

Then for 26-27 Price off the books. Laine is a UFA, Dach Barron, Roy, Xhekaj,Roy, Hutson and Mailloux are RFAs. Based on this off season many of those RFAs will be extended next summer. Kent likes to get work done early
Nobody is saying they won't be able to ice a compliant roster.

I am saying that, because they will be using LTIR throughout the season, they will not accrue cap space, meaning any ELC bonuses earned by Slaf, Hutson, or Guhle will rollover and count on the 25-26 cap. Just like how last years ELC bonuses are on this years cap for MTL. This may come into play when they try and contend again in 25-26, or 26-27 (assuming the same scenario with using price LTIR occurs again in the last year of prices deal)

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Problem child ... or not that's the big, big question about Laine.:huh:

A AC/DC guy - or a ADHD-guy Patrik Laine?!

One thing is still pretty sure - he (Patrik) speaks way, way better English than some of the journalists that intervjued him comin' to Montreal!:D

Seems like a Columbus (mob) Crew ruled the locker room back in Ohio.

Headhuntin' for a couple of European guys (Laine and Elvis) explicit; even thou' a Swedish chap was involved what it seems in the ... progress.

Well, Columbus left Europe - Laine left Columbus.
People do move on.

Thank God for that ...

... and thank you Patrik, eh Peter! - as Bon Scott would'ave it!:thumbu:

blinking-eyes-white-guy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Suntouchable13

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
The whole o' the mob-crew o' Columbus is a fart away nowadays from Ohio, yes everybody - everybody of 'em except the big W.

Remember.:nod:

Laine may have stepped on some buthurt sore toes in the Columbus-locker room. Hey, remember he's quite a character! :thumbu:

And what do NHL need nowadays, folks?! :

Yes; characters.

Not more boring (multi-) NHL-millionaires ...

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

I have my theories why Laine didn't mesh with the CBJ lockerroom but suffice to say it was a bad culture fit.

How many playoff rounds will the Leafs win next season?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The whole o' the mob-crew o' Columbus is a fart away nowadays from Ohio, yes everybody - everybody of 'em except the big W.

Remember.:nod:

Laine may have stepped on some buthurt sore toes in the Columbus-locker room. Hey, remember he's quite a character! :thumbu:

And what do NHL need nowadays, folks?! :

Yes; characters.

Not more boring (multi-) NHL-millionaires ...

I legit can't tell if you're positing something completely absurd or if this is merely incoherent babbling.

We don't exactly have any nativist movements going on here. :shakehead

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Price will be on MTL this year, forcing them to use LTIR, preventing them from accruing cap space and causing bonuses to rollover to next year
Price will be placed on LTIR after the beginning of the season. With Price on LTIR then, they will have plenty of cap space for anything they need in 2024-25.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Price will be placed on LTIR after the beginning of the season, which does not have those consequences. Those only happen if LTIR is used before the start of the season. The Habs will have enough space to place Price on LTIR on day one of the season, just like they did last season.
It seems to be shocking how many MTL fans don't understand LTIR. And it seems to be the same misconception every time

Placing a player on LTIR after the season starts still prevents you from accruing cap space if you are over the 88 million limit.

MTL also was unable to accrue cap space last year, hence why 1 million dollars of ELC bonuses (and I believe a monahan bonus as well) have rolled over to this year.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It seems to be shocking how many MTL fans don't understand LTIR. And it seems to be the same misconception every time

Placing a player on LTIR after the season starts still prevents you from accruing cap space if you are over the 88 million limit.

MTL also was unable to accrue cap space last year, hence why 1 million dollars of ELC bonuses (and I believe a monahan bonus as well) have rolled over to this year.
And they still had plenty of space last year... and will again this season (and next season, as well).

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And they still had plenty of space last year... and will again this season (and next season, as well).
Because they are currently not trying to win. Assuming they start trying to win in 25-26 or 26-27, this cap space can come into play.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Because they are currently not trying to win. Assuming they start trying to win in 25-26 or 26-27, this cap space can come into play.
In 25-26, Dvorak, Savard, Armia -- plus the retention on Petry and Allen -- are off the books, so cap space will not be an issue. In 26-27, Laine's contract is up, Price will be off the books, while Gallagher and Anderson will be on their last seasons (if they are still on the roster). Anderson can probably be dumped with retention that last season, if necessary.

Salary cap space will be fine for the next two years.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

They will most likely move on from Armia, 50% of Dvorak and Savard at or before the trade deadline which will likely accommodate any bonuses

Reactions: Gustave

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They will most likely move on from Armia, 50% of Dvorak and Savard at or before the trade deadline which will likely accommodate any bonuses
Most deadline trades to contenders are approximately salary in salary out (because contenders are not able to add cap).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Most deadline trades to contenders are approximately salary in salary out (because contenders are not able to add cap).
Except this entire argument you've been having is about accruing cap which a number of playoff teams will be able to do, or third party retention. You're trying to paint it as an issue for Montreal and it just really isn't

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Except this entire argument you've been having is about accruing cap which a number of playoff teams will be able to do, or third party retention. You're trying to paint it as an issue for Montreal and it just really isn't
It really isn't.

Unfortunately, different MTL fans keep having the same misconception about "offseason LTIR" and how it relates to accrued cap space.'

And so I keep having to correct.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It really isn't.

Unfortunately, different MTL fans keep having the same misconception about "offseason LTIR" and how it relates to accrued cap space.'

And so I keep having to correct.

This you?

It is a 17 million dollar gamble. The gamble is that that money could have been used much better elsewhere, either by signing UFAs, taking on other cap dumps for more than just a 2nd, or buying more term on RFAs.

And again, since, as I've been told a number of times, the goal for MTL is to start competing for the playoffs in 25-26.

Laine pushes MTL into LTIR use, and so because of that may add as much as 10 million dollars to MTLs 25-26 cap.

He played with Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, and Alex Debrincat. Are these some bad linemates?

I just want to make sure I have you on the record as stating Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield is not a good situation to be in, and they are worse than a contenders 3rd line where he'd likely play?

Because I think you're going to have to show your work and understanding of LTIR considering the total number of bonuses Montreal could have (from Slafkovsky, Guhle, Struble, Hutson, L. Tuch, Farrell, F. Xhekaj, Beck, Kidney, Reinbacher and Engstrom) is less than half that.

Unless you're not differentiating between off-season LTIR and in-season LTIR (as Montreal doesn't need to use off-season LTIR given that they can exceed the cap by 10% before the season and can paper enough players to the AHL before the season to be cap compliant entering the season and then place Price on LTIR in-season) and not realizing that Montreal will have ample LTIR room to deal with injuries in-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad