Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Actually i don't think anybody is jealous , we are one of the few teams (maybe the only 1?) that can take his cap hit for two years without directly affecting our plans whatsoever. The whole basis of the trade is that we don't care to burn 9 million on this guy mid rebuild. No contending team was touching this as it might directly impact spending in other places which is not our case.
4 teams had 8.7 mill in space

Utah, Anaheim, SJS, and Calgary.

A lot of low revenue teams trying to minimize payroll, and then Utah. Utah presumably decided to pass.

Maybe if chicago passed on some free agents but I really like what they did in terms of building a legit veteran dcore to shelter Vlasic and Korchinski, and the adds of Teuvo and Bertuzzi without giving too much term.

They also made their similar move last year with the Taylor Hall trade tbh, and took on mikheyev as a dump as well.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The habs own GM said they told Laine explicitly that they dont care if he scores 20 or 40. What's important is that he's committed to the team culture and helping propel a young team forward in its development.

Oh so what's important is that Laine is committed to the team culture, something he's never been throughout his NHL career. Got it.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
for 8.7 mill? 35 goals and 35 assists at min and not be a headcase
Cap space isn't a problem for the habs for the duration of Laine's contract (2 years). They have a ton of cap coming of the books next year, and they always have the ability to LTIR Price.

I understand cap strapped teams caring about the cap hit, but it literally does not move the needs for the habs. That's what makes the risk so low and why it's such an excellent trade.

Oh so what's important is that Laine is committed to the team culture, something he's never been throughout his NHL career. Got it.
At least Laine recognized he needed help and went to seek it to try and improve. If only some posters on this forum could learn a similar lesson. Alas, they'd rather continue getting inebriated on their copium.

The habs finished bottom the last two seasons. If Laine doesn't work out. the habs stay where they have been and they walk away with a second round pick for a D-man they probably couldn't retain due to their D depth.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Cap space isn't a problem for the habs for the duration of Laine's contract (2 years). They have a ton of cap coming of the books next year, and they always have the ability to LTIR Price.

I understand cap strapped teams caring about the cap hit, but it literally does not move the needs for the habs. That's what makes the risk so low and why it's such an excellent trade.

At least Laine recognized he needed help and went to seek it to try and improve. If only some posters on this forum could learn a similar lesson. Alas, they'd rather continue getting inebriated on their copium.

The habs finished bottom the last two seasons. If Laine doesn't work out. the habs stay where they have been and they walk away with a second round pick for a D-man they probably couldn't retain due to their D depth.
It is okay to acknowledge that most bottom feeder teams do not have the revenue to eat 17 million dollars for a 2nd round pick.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
4 teams had 8.7 mill in space

Utah, Anaheim, SJS, and Calgary.

A lot of low revenue teams trying to minimize payroll, and then Utah. Utah presumably decided to pass.

Maybe if chicago passed on some free agents but I really like what they did in terms of building a legit veteran dcore to shelter Vlasic and Korchinski, and the adds of Teuvo and Bertuzzi without giving too much term.
Laine might also have had those 4 team on is 10 team no trade liste... CBJ might not have had any many options...

Reactions: dgibb10

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The habs own GM said they told Laine explicitly that they dont care if he scores 20 or 40. What's important is that he's committed to the team culture and helping propel a young team forward in its development.

In 6 of 8 seasons, Laine has paced at 30 or more goals. The habs don't need him to be the star forward or carry the team. They need him to help round out scoring in the top 6. He just needs to continue to play at more or less his career averages, which he literally has done other than last season and the year he was traded to Columbus. Hell, even last year, he scored 9 goals in 18 games. So it's actually one season where he didn't score at at least a 30 goal pace.

When Laine plays and is healthy, he scores goals. That's all the habs need. If he's not healthy enough to play, there is no loss since there isn't much else to use that cap space towards, and the habs still got a potentially high second round pick to absorb his salary.

The hockey world is pretty unanimous that this is a no brainer deal for the habs. Just move on.
Pace is a fake number. You either get to 30 goals or you do not get to 30 goals. Any player can get injured or go cold.

The second I see the word "pace" I immediately know it being used to prop somebody up that couldn't actually get to the number they are talking about. He paced for this amazing fake number(but never really reached it).

Pace...smdh

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Guy who hasn't hit 70 games played in any of the last FIVE seasons
Oh noes! Laine didn't hit 70 games during the 20-21 season when every NHL team played 56 games? Well, I'll be damned!

And he "only" played 68 of the 71 games during another shortened season in 19-20, missing the crucial, career-defining 70 mark by 2?

Well that is it! You have convinced me with your stat cherry-picking that this is the worse move ever!

I'm completely devastated by this trade now. It sure must be great that your team avoided this mess. We're stuck here in Montreal with Laine and a second rounder. Gotta go now. I've gotta paint my "Missing you forever, Jordan Harris!" banner. Also thinking about starting a "trade back Laine for Harris" petition, maybe combined with a Molson beer boycott! We could use your wonderful arguments to convince the team!

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Laine might also have had those 4 team on is 10 team no trade liste... CBJ might not have had any many options...
Also a factor, true.

I can't believe people are throwing out "hey if it doesn't work out it's only 17 million dollars wasted, no biggie"

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Oh noes! Laine didn't hit 70 games during the 20-21 season when every NHL team played 56 games? Well, I'll be damned!

And he "only" played 68 of the 71 games during another shortened season in 19-20, missing the crucial, career-defining 70 mark by 2?

Well that is it! You have convinced me with your stat cherry-picking that this is the worse move ever!

I'm completely devastated by this trade now. It sure must be great that your team avoided this mess. We're stuck here in Montreal with Laine and a second rounder. Gotta go now. I've gotta paint my "Missing you forever, Jordan Harris!" banner. Also thinking about starting a "trade back Laine for Harris" petition, maybe combined with a Molson beer boycott! We could use your wonderful arguments to convince the team!
70?

He hasn't played more than 60 games in a season since 2019/20

He's good for about 60-70% of the season.

Not the end of the world, but when those 50-60 games are broken up into a couple different sections where he's coming back from an injury it can makes things difficult to gain consistency and makes for a frustrating season on the player.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The Habs got a big hole in top 6 and he just fill the gap with Laine so I am not sure what you are talking about. On top he had done wonder managing capspace and turn available capspace to asset.
He essentially got Laine for free because he has the cap space and a rich owner. He did well in negotiating contracts and not spending on overpaid middling UFAs, but let's not overestimate what he's done, either.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Laine getting you to the finals is certainly a take.

Ive posted in this thread numerous times that this is a no brianer deal for the habs, but Patty is the opposite what you want in a playoff performer.
But he's going to a team that isn't trying to build around him. Chances are he'll be on our second line anyways, but it's a step in the right direction.

I've mentioned before, but this is so low risk, and I think there is tremendous upside to this, especially since Laine has so many doubters and so much to prove. He'll be surrounded by the most passionate fanbase in hockey, and can just relax and play hockey.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
He essentially got Laine for free because he has the cap space and a rich owner. He did well in negotiating contracts and not spending on overpaid middling UFAs, but let's not overestimate what he's done, either.
1724178513614.png

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It is okay to acknowledge that most bottom feeder teams do not have the revenue to eat 17 million dollars for a 2nd round pick.
I know this is meant as some sort of insult, but it doesnt really work when Habs fans know their team is in a rebuild and starved for offensive talent. It's really no secret. They used their cap space to take a gamble on a player who scores when physically and mentally healthy.

No one is pretending that it's anymore than that. Habs fans are okay with the gamble, the team is, and most of the hockey world that aren't trolls are as well. Move on.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
But he's going to a team that isn't trying to build around him. Chances are he'll be on our second line anyways, but it's a step in the right direction.

I've mentioned before, but this is so low risk, and I think there is tremendous upside to this, especially since Laine has so many doubters and so much to prove. He'll be surrounded by the most passionate fanbase in hockey, and can just relax and play hockey.
I would argue both Winnipeg and Columbus both didnt make him the guy to build around. Also unless a lot has changed in the last few years that last line is pretty funny. Unless you're missing the /s

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Pace is a fake number.

Pace is not a fake number, it's an indication of how many goals you can expect Laine to score in a given amount of games. At minimum, Laine will score at a rate of .365 goals per game regardless of the games he plays - and this is conservative because his career pace is .425 goals per game.

So, yes, he technically didn't score 30 goals - but if he plays 82 games you can expect him to hover around that number based on his goal scoring rate in 7 of his 8 seasons.

Also a factor, true.

I can't believe people are throwing out "hey if it doesn't work out it's only 17 million dollars wasted, no biggie"
It's not my money. If the owner doesn't care, why should we? Salary gets wasted every year on a ton of players. The habs have the space to take this gamble.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
70?

He hasn't played more than 60 games in a season since 2019/20

He's good for about 60-70% of the season.

Not the end of the world, but when those 50-60 games are broken up into a couple different sections where he's coming back from an injury it can makes things difficult to gain consistency and makes for a frustrating season on the player.
Habs don't need him to carry the team. They need him to score when he is playing. Laine scoring 20-25 goals in 55 games > having Armia, Gallagher, or Anderson in the top 6 in every possible scenario.

I would argue both Winnipeg and Columbus both didnt make him the guy to build around. Also unless a lot has changed in the last few years that last line is pretty funny. Unless you're missing the /s
The habs aren't building around him. He is scoring depth for the top 6.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Pace is a fake number. You either get to 30 goals or you do not get to 30 goals. Any player can get injured or go cold.

The 2nd I see the word "pace" I immediately know it being used to prop somebody up that couldn't actually get to the number they are talking about. He paced for this amazing fake number(but never really reached it).

Pace...smdh
Must be quite something to go through life blind to nuance or context.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad