Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I have to fall in the Great job by Waddell category…

This isn’t a slumping player anymore. He took no salary back, for a guy averaging 14 goals over the last 4 years, making $8.7 million for another 2 years…. And he got a serviceable player in return, who should settle into being a nice 5/6 with more experience and maturity.

Montreal is making a pretty large wager, Laine will return to Winnipeg form, and be able to deal with all the outside noise of playing in Montreal. If he doesn’t though, it’s not the end of the world. They’d likely just buy him out next summer.

One thing’s for sure. Montreal’s media and fans, won’t put up with a player making $625,000 per goal…. So getting off to a quick start is gonna be important for Laine.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I like this a lot for the habs. That being said I do have one issue and that's this feels hollow after such a meh off-season. I don't think he alone can propel them into the playoffs but if they go and add Askarov, and if Demidov comes over they have a chance at the playoffs.

If he's a fit and excels will they be able too afford him in two years?
Regardless, go out an get Askarov and a few cheap vets

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I didn’t even mean 50 this season I meant 50 total lmao
I think its a good gamble though. Id take a chance on something like this. MTL should be fine for the next 2 seasons cap wise. they should be able to afford his contract even if he shits the bed completely.
high risk/high reward imo.
maybe helps push them into a wild card spot. or if they still stink and he's playing well they can retain on him on the short term and likely get a better return than they gave up

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It cost more to move Laine than it cost to move Ceci?

This roll of the dice is excellent value for Montreal. Yes they had to absorb the full cap hit but also go a 2nd and gave up a replaceable depth piece. Win for Hughes. Hope it works out well for Laine.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Expected a lot more for Laine honestly even as a habs fan I would have rediculed a Harris for Laine + 2nd saying it wasn't enough...

Harris is undervalued in Mtl but he was still the odd man out because everyone is younger, bigger or more skilled.

Now MTL have a legit top 6 Suzuki, CC, Slaf, Dach, Laine and Newhook or Roy + Demidov incoming.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
:facepalm: The CBJ rebuild started one season before Montreal's. The first lost season was the same season the Habs had that Unexpected Last Gasp run to the Cup finals; it got us Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger.
Swell. Just because it started before doesn't mean it's further ahead.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Of course he was a salary dump. Negative value at this contract... Even if CLB fans were trying to say otherwise.
If all it costs is a second round pick to dump $8.7 M AND remove a potential distraction from the locker room, I'll take it. The fact CBJ can use Harris is a bonus.

I hope Laine turns it around. But it was time for him to move on. I think this could be good for both teams.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I rather liked Harris. Columbus receives a serviceable defenseman who can play both sides. He's not a scrub by any means. Waddell did ok.

Laine's skillset is undeniable but I keep getting that PLD vibe. If he wants to be appreciated as a hockey player, there is no better place than Montreal. Just ask Alex Kovalev. He'd better get ready for it though.

Reactions: jj cale

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Great deal for Montreal. Pretty low risk considering they could take on the cap hit, and if by some miracle Laine can finally get it together and play even close to a full season, it's already a win. Columbus did just as well, moving on from someone who just couldn't be brought back anymore.

Saying this as someone who's disliked Laine even before he ever stepped into NHL. Primadonna who just oozes the "don't you know who I am?" both on and off the ice. Can't deny the talent he has with his shot though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Swell. Just because it started before doesn't mean it's further ahead.
Montreal and Columbus have been pretty much neck-and-neck the last two seasons. The season prior to those y'all were well behind us (having fallen into drafting 1st overall). The teams have so far appeared side-by-side in rebuild progress. Therefore, presuming Columbus has "several years yet" of doomsday is only applicable if you have a similar expectation for Montreal.

Reactions: Voight

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Over the past 4 seasons, Laine has averaged less than 44 games per season and scored at a 31G/66PT pace. Guy is clearly overpaid for what he is right now and was clearly a cap dump at his current cap hit.

Solid enough deal from Montreal's perspective, though I don't think they ripped off Columbus.

Not sure why Columbus didn't retain salary on the deal and give up less to move him. Can't imagine they have any use for the cap space they freed up this upcoming season and I guess we'll see how they utilize that next year.
Funny how if you take Laine's last 3 seasons he's average 54 games per season and scored at a 34G/74 PT pace.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I have to fall in the Great job by Waddell category…

This isn’t a slumping player anymore. He took no salary back, for a guy averaging 14 goals over the last 4 years, making $8.7 million for another 2 years…. And he got a serviceable player in return, who should settle into being a nice 5/6 with more experience and maturity.

Montreal is making a pretty large wager, Laine will return to Winnipeg form, and be able to deal with all the outside noise of playing in Montreal. If he doesn’t though, it’s not the end of the world. They’d likely just buy him out next summer.

One thing’s for sure. Montreal’s media and fans, won’t put up with a player making $625,000 per goal…. So getting off to a quick start is gonna be important for Laine.
Can't believe I'm sticking up for the habs but what a ridiculous and and disingenuous way to describe Laine

Based on games played he's a 30+ goal scorer and in his previous two seasons that were cut short he was ppg player on pace for 30ish goals

I don't deny it's a risk but nowhere near the way you are making it sound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad