Eklund Rumor: Mtl "All In" on Yakupov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I agree with him to an extent, Emelin is negative value at 4.1 million a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
That's a stretch...anyone who can get Yak to produce as a secondary scoring winger should consider themselves lucky. He might only ever top out at 20 goals 40 points IF he can figure his game out. He has a great shot, average skating but his hockey IQ is horrible. MacKinnon is much better than Yak AINEC.

A lot of non Edmonton posters here who dont know Yak.
He scored 17 goals in 48 games in his rookie year when given proper ice time. Since then, the worst organization in hockey buried him on the 4th line, and with ECHL centres.
He plays 2nd line mins and PP he will score 30 goals

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
"Nail Yakupov has a tremendous amount of talent and has been miscast, misused and just generally mismanaged by an organization desperate to find any sort of success. His 31 points in 48 games during his rookie year showed flashes of the kind of player he could be, and Edmonton has done seemingly everything possible since to prevent him from becoming that guy"

https://cccanes.blogspot.ca/2016/08/crazy-trade-idea-yakupov.html?m=1

Countrygirl

Aug 31, 2016
I don't think it would be wise for Edmonton to move Yakupov when his value is so low this summer. I can see a trade deadline move, but not over the summer unless there's some value there maybe.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I don't think it would be wise for Edmonton to move Yakupov when his value is so low this summer. I can see a trade deadline move, but not over the summer unless there's some value there maybe.

You bet.
I'd rather move Eberle's 6M ass outta town. Yak can produce at the same pace given Ebs icetime...and Yak is usually team leader in hits, not a very well known fact.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

it's possible that our org is ready to take poor value back just to move on. We are not a great team, but we might have a decent shot at a playoff spot if the team is unified and our new additions get some chemistry. Yak might be a distraction, especially if he falls out of the top six again. I think our team can play really well but perhaps will lack the depth and chemistry to sustain a lot of injuries again, or to have enough sheltered minutes to give to a project like Yak, even if the investment could yield great rewards.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You bet.
I'd rather move Eberle's 6M ass outta town. Yak can produce at the same pace given Ebs icetime...and Yak is usually team leader in hits, not a very well known fact.

His per minute scoring rate is about 50% higher. So, no. He's not in Ebs league when it comes to hockey sense.

I'd say the Oilers can give Yak another month or two to see if he figures things out. It's not really about trade value - he won't get much either way. It's just about finding out whether you want the player or not.

Countrygirl

Aug 31, 2016
I just don't want to see us lose yakupov for scraps even though we don't really have room in our top 6 for him, if we can get another D-prospect or something id be happy with that.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Eklund is just trying to get more hits on his site, he knows nothing.

I'd offer something like Juulsen + 2nd for Yakupov but Habs would have to move some salary somehow.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You bet.

Uh, no, Yak has never come close to leading our team in hits. I agree he plays more physical than people who don't watch the Oil might think, but he has never been close to leading our team in hits.

His best year he had 97. That same year Matt Hendricks had 220.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Eklund is just trying to get more hits on his site, he knows nothing.

I'd offer something like Juulsen + 2nd for Yakupov but Habs would have to move some salary somehow.

that is a crazy overpayment, the 2nd alone is too rich much less adding Juulsen. He's currently not very good and has come off three years where he ends up worse than the year before.

To all the people longing for his rookie season, that was 4 years ago. Steve Penney was good for a while as well, how did that pan out ? his greatest achievement in the NHL is having been selected 1OA, its been all downhill after that.

Yes he has skills, that's not his problem. Its his understanding of the game which is amongst the worst in the league. That doesn't magically change overnight. As a lot of edmonton fans already acknowledge, for what he would get in return its a far better idea to keep him and hope he catches lighting in a bottle and reverses his trajectory. If he doesn't, then you let him walk for something that is not fantastically materially different than his current open market value.

maybe he turns it around, mabey he doesnt but whatever he does will likely be in an oilers jersey.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
that is a crazy overpayment, the 2nd alone is too rich much less adding Juulsen. He's currently not very good and has come off three years where he ends up worse than the year before.

To all the people longing for his rookie season, that was 4 years ago. Steve Penney was good for a while as well, how did that pan out ? his greatest achievement in the NHL is having been selected 1OA, its been all downhill after that.

Yes he has skills, that's not his problem. Its his understanding of the game which is amongst the worst in the league. That doesn't magically change overnight. As a lot of edmonton fans already acknowledge, for what he would get in return its a far better idea to keep him and hope he catches lighting in a bottle and reverses his trajectory. If he doesn't, then you let him walk for something that is not fantastically materially different than his current open market value.

maybe he turns it around, mabey he doesnt but whatever he does will likely be in an oilers jersey.

The price is still more than a 2nd. Every team in the league would offer a 2nd. Hence to actually get him, you need to add.

Edit.. Just noticed the Steve Penney bit.... He was not drafted 1OA. He went in the eighth round.... About 35 years ago. His claim to fame is having backed the Habs to a Stanley Cup.

Settle down gramps.

Last edited:

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin

I have a feeling a 2nd round pick is the new top10 first nowadays here.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I have a feeling a 2nd round pick is the new top10 first nowadays here.

Mid 2nd in a strong draft class = early 2nd in a normal draft
Early 2nd = just like a late 1st pick
late 1st pick = could be the steal of the first round so let's say mid 1st
mid 1st = only 5 picks separating the 10th and 15th so more or less the same thing as top 10
top 10 = Possibilities of getting the best player in the draft so 1st OV

So I'll even go with:

2nd round pick = 1st overall

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Mid 2nd in a strong draft class = early 2nd in a normal draft
Early 2nd = just like a late 1st pick
late 1st pick = could be the steal of the first round so let's say mid 1st
mid 1st = only 5 picks separating the 10th and 15th so more or less the same thing as top 10
top 10 = Possibilities of getting the best player in the draft so 1st OV

So I'll even go with:

2nd round pick = 1st overall

And the last consequence

1st overall draftpick >= any current NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad