• MSL

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • Rod Brind'Amour

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Rod Brind'Amour has a negative XSC/RSC ratio, while MSL's neutral since he wasn't expected to win anything.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The guy that has been running the best analytics team in history, or the guy that has been running the Habs ? Im not the biggest Brind'amour fan because he's too harsh on his players and ultimately he doesn't respect talent enough, but come on now.

Would you want the coach with a .438 over 200 games or the guy that has a near .700 winning record over 500?

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Brind'Amour Is the cheesiest coach in the league. I bet half the team snickers when he leaves the room.

• Haha
Reactions: Svart

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The guy that has been running the best analytics team in history, or the guy that has been running the Habs ? Im not the biggest Brind'amour fan because he's too harsh on his players and ultimately he doesn't respect talent enough, but come on now.

Would you want the coach with a .438 over 200 games or the guy that has a near .700 winning record over 500?

Yeah, sure, to win the Stanley Cup of Analytics, I'd take Brind'Amour too.

To win the actual Stanley Cup. I'd take the coach who makes his team overperform relative to the quality of his rosters. And I don't think this guy is Brind'Amour. Despite a stacked team, his team never made it to the finals. That matters more than analytics.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

To win the actual Stanley Cup. I'd take the coach who makes his team overperform relative to the quality of his rosters. And I don't think this guy is Brind'Amour. Despite a stacked team, his team never made it to the finals. That matters more than analytics.
Overperform ? Fam. We have the 5th worst record in the league since he came around. The Coyotes have a better record than the Habs. The Canes are three points off the season lead in that time frame. Brind'amour is 28-25 in the playoffs. He went to the conference finals twice in 5 years, he's never lost in the quarter finals and the team that beat him are Panthers, Rangers, Lightning twice and the Bruins twice. It's not like they got mopped by some bad competition.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
This thread is purely hypothetical too because MSL has already been confirmed to return next year, but with RBA's future up in the air with the Canes I thought it would be a good time to run this poll just to get a general feel from the fanbase.

Would the Montreal public approve of RBA as coach if MSL ever left? Brind-Amour is a great French last name but I don't know if he's ever spoken French.

IMO, Brind-Amour is the coach that you hope MSL becomes with experience, you just get a HC with 15 more years experience behind an NHL bench.

He has been with Carolina for 25 years straight as a player -> AC -> HC and he is probably being groomed for a front office role as well, Carolina is one of the most realistic builds for a contender as well.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

How many playoff rounds has MSL won the Habs?

It's always soooo easy to poo-poo the accomplishments and performances of others, isn't it?

I want to keep MSL because I think he's earned a try at coaching a team with playoff-level talent. What he'll accomplish with them, I have no idea. I don't feel like he's a very good tactician but he seems like a good head coach -- if that makes any sense. I want to see his team in the playoffs but Brind'amour is clearly a different cut of coach. He's established, proven, and rather well respected.

If MSL falls on his face in his first playoff series, we should be entitled to sniff around for another coach. But until then, we should give him a shot.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Overperform ? Fam. We have the 5th worst record in the league since he came around. The Coyotes have a better record than the Habs. The Canes are three points off the season lead in that time frame. Brind'amour is 28-25 in the playoffs. He went to the conference finals twice in 5 years, he's never lost in the quarter finals and the team that beat him are Panthers, Rangers, Lightning twice and the Bruins twice. It's not like they got mopped by some bad competition.

You compare a rebuilding team against a contender. You don't have to convince me that the contender has been the better team this past few years.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
How many playoff rounds has MSL won the Habs?

It's always soooo easy to poo-poo the accomplishments and performances of others, isn't it?

I want to keep MSL because I think he's earned a try at coaching a team with playoff-level talent. What he'll accomplish with them, I have no idea. I don't feel like he's a very good tactician but he seems like a good head coach -- if that makes any sense. I want to see his team in the playoffs but Brind'amour is clearly a different cut of coach. He's established, proven, and rather well respected.

If MSL falls on his face in his first playoff series, we should be entitled to sniff around for another coach. But until then, we should give him a shot.

I'm not saying differently. I was replying to a post saying that Brind'amour is a much better coach because his team have good analytics. All I'm saying is that it means absolutely nothing if that's your basis of comparison between him and the coach of a rebuilding team.

I 100% agree that Brind'amour is a much more proven coach at this point.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I thought the objective was to develop players and draft as high as possible. Not sure what standard you're applying but doesn't fit the path we want. You wanted us to be 15th this year? Come on.

I want to see a full season of a healthy team with players more mature. Next season will give us a good baseline for evaluating him. Again, what were you expecting from team in last two years exactly?

Reactions: SlafySZN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad