MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
2018-2019 edition:
MrB1P's top 50 NHL affiliated prospects

Since last years list was a real chore because I did not actually set any parameters for the prospect, this year I am going black on white on eligibility rules.

Eligibility rules are:
25 games or less in the NHL
25 years of age or younger on the 15th September 2019
No goaltenders as I don't care to rank those, because Im not as well informed.

What do I value in a prospect ?
Mostly a complete offense and a willingness to be the man on the offense. I'm also a fan of physicality and aggressiveness in a player. NHL readiness isn't really something I value too highly, but it is certainly a factor in this ranking as the first five should all be in the NHL this year. Another thing I value highly is intelligence. If a player showcases a good level of on-ice IQ, he's most likely a favorite of mine. I tend to overlook defensive problems as these usually are either overblown or they sort themselves out.

What could bring a player down ?
Perimeter play. This is the biggest culprit.
Lack of a shot.
Lack of speed, or a tendency to float.

This is my list, and my list only, it has not been influenced by any other media list around, which is why it might look a bit different than most.

Am I a homer ? I'd like to think I'm impartial, but obviously I am human and I am not free of bias.

Feel free to ask any question, I love to have discussion, but don't mob on me because I have feelings like every other human beings.

The ranking:

1- Jack Hughes :devils
Nothing to add here, he's going to be a star, special player.

2- Kaapo Kakko :rangers
Nothing more to add either, he's going to be a star, and a very useful one at that.

3- Cale Makar :avs
Great speed, great head for the game, complete package offensively. Nothing short of impressive. No real weakness. +5 from last year, not a big rise, but a deserved one, he's probably the most NHL ready player on this list.

4- Martin Necas :canes
Bit of a dip from last year, as I expected him to make the Canes out of camp as the middle 6 was ripe for him, but he still did really good at the AHL level with the Checkers. He's such a good all-around player. He'll thrive if he ever gets to play with Svechnikov or Teravainen, a real offensive threat.

5- Cody Glass :vegas
He simered a bit longer than usual for a top pick, but he's nothing short of fantastic. Should be a two-way beast for 15 years. Lead his team in PO points in the AHL, on a pretty good team too. Impressive stuff from Cody.

6- Alex Turcotte
nCEc1kLT8Io8Mg7HyGsWHJy9QCS-oA8jvNcLeiflmyWD9ztgxH7GQWUCy31JfLC5rksV4URnNPS06yEZpMqZsmz7nJUJl943FuofVnB5OPkj3SUiOqCe7J-ad5X6gsy1oFFuQO_i

This kid is a bomb. Skates fast, dekes fast, plays fast. I love the type of player he is. He should be a first line center that can do it all and brings 70 points + while being intense. Love that player. I suspect he will be the 2nd or 3rd highest prospect by next year.

7- Adam Boqvist :hawks
Adam is the son that every mother would want, 6', blond, swedish, fast as hell, one of the best shooting Dman Ive ever seen. He should be the type of Dman a team runs an offense through, and the type of Dman a team plans his defensive game to counter. Reminds me a bit of Brent Burns, without the huge body.

8- Bowen Byram :avs
Already the second Avalanche in the pool. Byram is everything Makar is, but younger. They should make one of the strongest defensive duos in the league for 15 years.

9- Alex Newhook :avs
Yup. This is it, the Avalanches 3rd prospect in the top 10. Never seen before ? I don't know. Alex is a complete offensive player that also just so happens to be one of, if not the best skater on this list. He's an amazing 360 degree skater that isn't too far off what Barzal was in his draft season, talent wise.

10- Matthew Boldy :wild
Rounding out the top 10 is a player that holds a special place in my heart. Boldy is so specatular in the way he plays that he quickly became one of my favorite players in this latest draft. He won't make the Wild, or so I hope, but he's going to be a treat to watch in the NCAA. Big bodied kid with the softest mitts in the west.

11- Kirby Dach
12- Nicolas Hague
13- Josh Brook
14- Ty Smith
15- Vitali Kravtsov
16- Kristian Vesalainen
17- Erik Brannstrom
18- Noah Dobson
19- Quinn Hughes
20- Nick Suzuki
21- Pavel Dorofeyev
22- Vile Heinola
23- Alexander Alexeyev
24- Ryan Poehling
25- Drake Batherson
26- Filip Zadina
27- Dylan Cozens
28- Vasili Podkolzin
29- Peyton Krebs
30- Mortiz Seider
31- Cole Caufield
32- Alexander Romanov
33- Joel Farabee
34- Oliver Wahlstrom
35- Kirill Kaprizov
36- Alex Texier
37- Barrett Hayton
38- Rasmus Sandin
39- Bobby Brink
40- Adam Fox
41- Morgan Frost
42- Klim Kostin
43- Nick Robertson
44- Artur Kaliyev
45- Jason Robertson
46- Eeli Tolvanen
47- Connor McMichael
48- Samuel Poulin
49- Juuso Valimaki
50- Simon Holmstrom

HM to : Vladislav Kolyochonok, Aretemi Knyazev Tobias Bjornfot, Victor Soderstrom, Trevor Zegras, Philip Broberg, Evan Bouchard, Ty Benson, Nils Hoglander, Vaakanainen, Fabbro, Steel, Grigori Denisenko,

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You notoriously homer your own prospects. So yes, that's what I commented on.

I doubt you'll even find many Habs fans delusional enough to think Brook is a better prospect than Ty Smith.
Thats fine, this is not their list, its my list. I doubt I will find a lot of Avs fans that think Alex Newhook is better than Dach. Does that make me a Avs homer?
I doubt that I find a lot of Leafs fans that would rank Nick Robertson ahead of Evan Bouchard, Philip Broberg and Trevor Zegras, am I a Leaf homer too ?

Reactions: Chr1s97

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
It's always nice to see someone post their personal lists. Not that I agree with this list even remotely completely (For example I'm an Avs fan and don't think Newhook is even close to top 10) but I appreciate the effort.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya.... That's a bad list that pretty clearly shows a Canadian bias. Romanov in the Top 35, Poehling in the Top 25, and Brook at 13 is just hilarious.

[MOD]
Newhook at 9 is ridiculous, Dorofeyev at 21 is ridiculous, Zegras not in the Top 25 is ridiculous(Let alone being excluded from the list entirely :laugh:)

And this is coming from an Avs fan and someone who had Dorofeyev as a 1st round talent in last years draft.

EDIT: I mean I guess at least give respect for the effort to complete a Top 50 list... But I dunno. This doesn't feel like that, just feels like a way to try and disguise being a homer about Canadians prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's always nice to see someone post their personal lists. Not that I agree with this list even remotely completely (For example I'm an Avs fan and don't think Newhook is even close to top 10) but I appreciate the effort.
I had Newhook at 6th overall in the 2019 draft. He is a special player, IMO. I am higher on him but I also have 5+ hours of video time on him.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
17- Erik Brannstrom
18- Noah Dobson

19- Quinn Hughes
20- Nick Suzuki
21- Pavel Dorofeyev
22- Vile Heinola
23- Alexander Alexeyev
24- Ryan Poehling
25- Drake Batherson
26- Filip Zadina
27- Dylan Cozens
28- Vasili Podkolzin
29- Peyton Krebs
30- Mortiz Seider
31- Cole Caufield
32- Alexander Romanov
33- Joel Farabee
34- Oliver Wahlstrom
35- Kirill Kaprizov
36- Alex Texier
37- Barrett Hayton
38- Rasmus Sandin
39- Bobby Brink
40- Adam Fox
41- Morgan Frost
42- Klim Kostin
43- Nick Robertson
44- Artur Kaliyev
45- Jason Robertson
46- Eeli Tolvanen
47- Connor McMichael
48- Samuel Poulin
49- Juuso Valimaki
50- Simon Holmstrom

HM to : Vladislav Kolyochonok, Aretemi Knyazev Tobias Bjornfot, Victor Soderstrom, Trevor Zegras, Philip Broberg, Evan Bouchard, Ty Benson, Nils Hoglander, Vaakanainen, Fabbro, Steel, Grigori Denisenko,

I cut out half of your list because I can't find any sort of reason why Valimaki would be below any of the above and should be up there with Branstrom and Dobson.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man it feels great to have people do nothing but call you a homer instead of trying to understand your opinion on different players.

Oh, wait, no its does not.

So far were four different posters in and not one has discussed any actual placement, except using dumb "homer" accusations because I have five habs prospects in my list :laugh:

I should have not watched any of those prospects play myself and just used any generic list and copy-pasted it.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I'm high on Necas, Newhook and Boldy too, I like their ranking. But I do wonder what makes you ignore Veleno and not even have him as an HM? As a Wings fan, I prefer his game to Zadina's.

But I do agree with the general sentiment that your ranking of defensemen seem a bit all over the place with a pinch of homerism. But even excluding the homerism, what makes you that high on Heinola for example?

Good list tbh, I don't like consensuses

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I cut out half of your list because I can't find any sort of reason why Valimaki would be below any of the above and should be up there with Branstrom and Dobson.
I'm not going to pretend like those guys aren't all really close but at the end of the day, I think Valimaki is a bit too vanilla for me to rank him higher. I think that he has good tools overall, comparable to the rest, but his willingness to actually jump up in the play and be "the guy" is lower than any of those defenders. I hope I'm wrong because I love to see good talent but I see him more as a 2nd pairing D à la Jeff Petry (Without the dumbass IQ, lets be real.) but I'm not sure he has it in him to carry a first pair, the others do.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
[MOD]
I'm high on Necas, Newhook and Boldy too, I like their ranking. But I do wonder what makes you ignore Veleno and not even have him as an HM? As a Wings fan, I prefer his game to Zadina's.

But I do agree with the general sentiment that your ranking of defensemen seem a bit all over the place with a pinch of homerism. But even excluding the homerism, what makes you that high on Heinola for example?

Heinola's the least controversial choice there.

Reactions: MardyBum

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Man it feels great to have people do nothing but call you a homer instead of trying to understand your opinion on different players.

Oh, wait, no its does not.

So far were four different posters in and not one has discussed any actual placement, except using dumb "homer" accusations because I have five habs prospects in my list :laugh:

I should have not watched any of those prospects play myself and just used any generic list and copy-pasted it.

Well let's see here... In your own words, you rank partially based on "a complete offense and a willingness to be the man on the offense."

Then you turned around and put Suzuki at #20, while Frost is #41.

You ranked Poehling at #24 and Farabee at #31. Even though Farabee produced better in the NCAA, at a younger age, and was the actual offensive driver of his team.

You ranked Romanov, who barely even cracked the scoresheet in the KHL, six spots over Sandin, who tore up the AHL. Speaking of defenders, you ranked Sandin, who produced well in a men's league, 25 spots below Josh Brook, who produced well in a junior league.

[MOD]

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is a really random list. Why is Nick Robertson on here? Why is Newhook so high? Bouchard not even top 50 but Brooks is 13? And really Romanov at 32?

Really weird list.

Nick Robertson was ranked in the 20's of my draft ranking, I love the type of player he is and his upside is massive. Same with Newhook, I had him in my top 10 and I wouldn't take Dach, Boldy or anyone else ranked behind him above him.

Bouchard was outside my top 15 in his draft year and he hasn't proven to me he can play more than a #3 game.

Romanov outplayed every D on the biggest prospect stage of 2019, made a pro team at 18 all that after being an early 2nd round pick, but more so, his tools and his attitude is that of a winner. He's smart, has a great shot, plays aggressive and intese and he has wheels for days, all things I love on a player.

I don't ignore Veleno, he was a late first round pick in 2018 and didn't show anything special in his regular season and POs, or internationally since being drafted. I don't think he's better than anyone and I don't like his upside. He's a really good skater and high speed puck handler, but what does he do with all that ? Paints himself in a corner more often than not and since he has a muffin shot, he'll be ineffective there. I don't see a top 6 player in him. Do you?

Heinola was 9th on my 2019 draft list, he may just be the smartest Dman Ive seen play in the last few years, and yeah, that includes Dahlin. He's an amazing 360 skater, he's an amazing passer, one of the best passer in his draft year and he shoots like a pro. He's an amazing player. If you want to read more about him you can take a peek at the 2019 draft threads where I raved about him all year.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not going to pretend like those guys aren't all really close but at the end of the day, I think Valimaki is a bit too vanilla for me to rank him higher. I think that he has good tools overall, comparable to the rest, but his willingness to actually jump up in the play and be "the guy" is lower than any of those defenders. I hope I'm wrong because I love to see good talent but I see him more as a 2nd pairing D à la Jeff Petry (Without the dumbass IQ, lets be real.) but I'm not sure he has it in him to carry a first pair, the others do.
Sorry people are just bashing you without substance here, I appreciate that you put thought into this, even though I think you are very wrong in this reply.

Even if you just stat creep you can see that Valimaki had a much bigger on ice impact than both Dobson and Brannstrom for his team last year. He put up 14 points and +6 in 20 games on a brutal AHL team. They went 15-5 when he was down there.
Watching, you could tell his impact was much more than showed up on the stat sheet. This is a kid that made our team as a 20 year old, caused us to waive Brett Kulak (who I believe finished the year top-4 in montreal?) Had he not been injured he would have been in the show all season. His overall tools aren't just good- they may seem that way when comparing to his other skills, but it's more his lack of weaknesses and the strength he has in all areas that makes him a great player. Plus he has an unreal compete level but a cool as cucumber demeanor. There's a reason he captained a pretty stacked Finnish national team.

I have said my peace. I believe that you have criminally underrated Valimaki. I also think you missed Dube but that conversation can wait.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Well let's see here... In your own words, you rank partially based on "a complete offense and a willingness to be the man on the offense."

You ranked Poehling at #24 and Farabee at #31. Even though Farabee produced better in the NCAA, at a younger age, and was the actual offensive driver of his team.

You ranked Romanov, who barely even cracked the scoresheet in the KHL, six spots over Sandin, who tore up the AHL. Speaking of defenders, you ranked Sandin, who produced well in a men's league, 25 spots below Josh Brook, who produced well in a junior league.

Yeah, can't imagine why anybody would mistake you as a homer.

Poehling is probably the most underrated prospect on this board but I do agree with you about his ranking about Brook, it doesn't make sense at all.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Nick Robertson was ranked in the 20's of my draft ranking, I love the type of player he is and his upside is massive. Same with Newhook, I had him in my top 10 and I wouldn't take Dach, Boldy or anyone else ranked behind him above him.

Bouchard was outside my top 15 in his draft year and he hasn't proven to me he can play more than a #3 game.

Romanov outplayed every D on the biggest prospect stage of 2019, made a pro team at 18 all that after being an early 2nd round pick, but more so, his tools and his attitude is that of a winner. He's smart, has a great shot, plays aggressive and intese and he has wheels for days, all things I love on a player.

I don't ignore Veleno, he was a late first round pick in 2018 and didn't show anything special in his regular season and POs, or internationally since being drafted. I don't think he's better than anyone and I don't like his upside. He's a really good skater and high speed puck handler, but what does he do with all that ? Paints himself in a corner more often than not and since he has a muffin shot, he'll be ineffective there. I don't see a top 6 player in him. Do you?

Heinola was 9th on my 2019 draft list, he may just be the smartest Dman Ive seen play in the last few years, and yeah, that includes Dahlin. He's an amazing 360 skater, he's an amazing passer, one of the best passer in his draft year and he shoots like a pro. He's an amazing player. If you want to read more about him you can take a peek at the 2019 draft threads where I raved about him all year.
That’s a lot of words to say that you didn’t watch the player. After a slow season and overscouting led him to fall from a consensus top-3 pick to 30th last year, Veleno played an outstanding two-way game throughout this entire year, after nearly forcing his way on to the Wings’ roster. The kind of performance and visible progression you would have been very justifiably excited about had he been picked 3rd overall. Draft position should not factor in considering the established prestige of the player. I cannot respect any list that doesn’t include him inside the top-20, when there is no argument for him to be outside of the top-10.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah, can't imagine why anybody would mistake you as a homer.

I also mention that I value goalscoring highly and is there even an inch of a doubt on Suzukis goalscoring when you compare it to Frost ? Also Frost doesn't play like a guy that is going to lead his line in the NHL. He plays a good offensive game but I see it as a support player on a wing.

Poehling and Farabee are really close to me, well, they all are in that range, but yes, you're right, Farabee did outscore him, by a whopping 5 points, but aside from that I'm not sure where you have seen that Farabee has a better toolkit than Poehling ? Both are similar level players that should end up being complimentary top 6er. Difference ? Poehling is a natural center and is a beast of a man.

As for Sandin, i'm not sure you really ever watched him if you think he's actually an offensive catalyst because hes not. He plays the game passively and that leads to volatile point production, but he's going to be a NHL player for sure, just like Romanov, and not unlike Farabee, Romanov should be more useful because he's a better shooter, is more aggressive and is one of the best hitters on this list.

Josh Brook didn't merely "produce well", he dominated the WHL while being used as a forward, as a LD and as a RD, all that on an awfully weak team. Thats actually funny as a comment. He lead the WHL in PPG and raw points and produced 16 goals while being one of the best defensive D in the league. Also, why don't you have any words for Ty Smith ebing ranked above Sandin if you care so much ? Because statistically, Smith had a worse season on a better team.

Josh Brooks season is literally the best WHL season for a Dman scoring-wise since the turn of the millenium.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That’s a lot of words to say that you didn’t watch the player. After a slow season and overscouting led him to fall from a consensus top-3 pick to 30th last year, Veleno played an outstanding two-way game throughout this entire year, after nearly forcing his way on to the Wings’ roster. The kind of performance and visible progression you would have been very justifiably excited about had he been picked 3rd overall. Draft position should not factor in considering the established prestige of the player. I cannot respect any list that doesn’t include him inside the top-20, when there is no argument for him to be outside of the top-10.

Top 20 is a bit overkill. But it is hilarious that a guy who was praised for having a complete game, who led his league in scoring, even over next year's consensus #1OA pick, isn't even an honorable mention.

... But Josh Brook's WHL production makes him a Top 15 prospect.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
2018-2019 edition:
MrB1P's top 50 NHL affiliated prospects

Since last years list was a real chore because I did not actually set any parameters for the prospect, this year I am going black on white on eligibility rules.

Eligibility rules are:
25 games or less in the NHL
25 years of age or younger on the 15th September 2019
No goaltenders as I don't care to rank those, because Im not as well informed.

What do I value in a prospect ?
Mostly a complete offense and a willingness to be the man on the offense. I'm also a fan of physicality and aggressiveness in a player. NHL readiness isn't really something I value too highly, but it is certainly a factor in this ranking as the first five should all be in the NHL this year. Another thing I value highly is intelligence. If a player showcases a good level of on-ice IQ, he's most likely a favorite of mine. I tend to overlook defensive problems as these usually are either overblown or they sort themselves out.

What could bring a player down ?
Perimeter play. This is the biggest culprit.
Lack of a shot.
Lack of speed, or a tendency to float.

This is my list, and my list only, it has not been influenced by any other media list around, which is why it might look a bit different than most.

Am I a homer ? I'd like to think I'm impartial, but obviously I am human and I am not free of bias.

Feel free to ask any question, I love to have discussion, but don't mob on me because I have feelings like every other human beings.

The ranking:

1- Jack Hughes :devils
Nothing to add here, he's going to be a star, special player.

2- Kaapo Kakko :rangers
Nothing more to add either, he's going to be a star, and a very useful one at that.

3- Cale Makar :avs
Great speed, great head for the game, complete package offensively. Nothing short of impressive. No real weakness. +5 from last year, not a big rise, but a deserved one, he's probably the most NHL ready player on this list.

4- Martin Necas :canes
Bit of a dip from last year, as I expected him to make the Canes out of camp as the middle 6 was ripe for him, but he still did really good at the AHL level with the Checkers. He's such a good all-around player. He'll thrive if he ever gets to play with Svechnikov or Teravainen, a real offensive threat.

5- Cody Glass :vegas
He simered a bit longer than usual for a top pick, but he's nothing short of fantastic. Should be a two-way beast for 15 years. Lead his team in PO points in the AHL, on a pretty good team too. Impressive stuff from Cody.

6- Alex Turcotte
nCEc1kLT8Io8Mg7HyGsWHJy9QCS-oA8jvNcLeiflmyWD9ztgxH7GQWUCy31JfLC5rksV4URnNPS06yEZpMqZsmz7nJUJl943FuofVnB5OPkj3SUiOqCe7J-ad5X6gsy1oFFuQO_i

This kid is a bomb. Skates fast, dekes fast, plays fast. I love the type of player he is. He should be a first line center that can do it all and brings 70 points + while being intense. Love that player. I suspect he will be the 2nd or 3rd highest prospect by next year.

7- Adam Boqvist :hawks
Adam is the son that every mother would want, 6', blond, swedish, fast as hell, one of the best shooting Dman Ive ever seen. He should be the type of Dman a team runs an offense through, and the type of Dman a team plans his defensive game to counter. Reminds me a bit of Brent Burns, without the huge body.

8- Bowen Byram :avs
Already the second Avalanche in the pool. Byram is everything Makar is, but younger. They should make one of the strongest defensive duos in the league for 15 years.

9- Alex Newhook :avs
Yup. This is it, the Avalanches 3rd prospect in the top 10. Never seen before ? I don't know. Alex is a complete offensive player that also just so happens to be one of, if not the best skater on this list. He's an amazing 360 degree skater that isn't too far off what Barzal was in his draft season, talent wise.

10- Matthew Boldy :wild
Rounding out the top 10 is a player that holds a special place in my heart. Boldy is so specatular in the way he plays that he quickly became one of my favorite players in this latest draft. He won't make the Wild, or so I hope, but he's going to be a treat to watch in the NCAA. Big bodied kid with the softest mitts in the west.

11- Kirby Dach
12- Nicolas Hague
13- Josh Brook
14- Ty Smith
15- Vitali Kravtsov
16- Kristian Vesalainen
17- Erik Brannstrom
18- Noah Dobson
19- Quinn Hughes
20- Nick Suzuki
21- Pavel Dorofeyev
22- Vile Heinola
23- Alexander Alexeyev
24- Ryan Poehling
25- Drake Batherson
26- Filip Zadina
27- Dylan Cozens
28- Vasili Podkolzin
29- Peyton Krebs
30- Mortiz Seider
31- Cole Caufield
32- Alexander Romanov
33- Joel Farabee
34- Oliver Wahlstrom
35- Kirill Kaprizov
36- Alex Texier
37- Barrett Hayton
38- Rasmus Sandin
39- Bobby Brink
40- Adam Fox
41- Morgan Frost
42- Klim Kostin
43- Nick Robertson
44- Artur Kaliyev
45- Jason Robertson
46- Eeli Tolvanen
47- Connor McMichael
48- Samuel Poulin
49- Juuso Valimaki
50- Simon Holmstrom

Honestly, is this a serious attempt?

Dorofeyev at 21?

K'Andre Miller not even on the list? Zegras, Broberg etc. as honorable mentions? Boldy and Newhook ahead of Kravtsov??

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sorry people are just bashing you without substance here, I appreciate that you put thought into this, even though I think you are very wrong in this reply.

Even if you just stat creep you can see that Valimaki had a much bigger on ice impact than both Dobson and Brannstrom for his team last year. He put up 14 points and +6 in 20 games on a brutal AHL team. They went 15-5 when he was down there.
Watching, you could tell his impact was much more than showed up on the stat sheet. This is a kid that made our team as a 20 year old, caused us to waive Brett Kulak (who I believe finished the year top-4 in montreal?) Had he not been injured he would have been in the show all season. His overall tools aren't just good- they may seem that way when comparing to his other skills, but it's more his lack of weaknesses and the strength he has in all areas that makes him a great player. Plus he has an unreal compete level but a cool as cucumber demeanor. There's a reason he captained a pretty stacked Finnish national team.

I have said my peace. I believe that you have criminally underrated Valimaki. I also think you missed Dube but that conversation can wait.

I can't disagree with anything you've said, I really like Valimaki, but I think he loses out just a bit on every matchups you can make. Maybe if I valued NHL readiness more he would've been higher.

Lol, not watching Veleno. How can I not watch Veleno when he's been literally on every TV for three years now ? I live in Montreal and get 10+ games a week of CHL play on my TV provider alone. Are you aware that Veleno played in both the Memorial cup and the WJC, the two most watched prospect-related events in the world ? Thats just ridiculous. He's also played on the best team in the league for two years now, and he's played on a team with a favorite of mine in Nicolas Beaudin. Having Veleno in the top ten is actually ridiculous. The guy has limited offensive upside from the lack of shot and the lack of vision. He's been in junior for four years now, and he still hasn't changed the way he plays or actually got better.

Is he going to make the NHL ? Yeah, his skating and puck carrying are too good not to. Is he going to be a top 6 player ? No. Do I rank third line center in my top 50 ? f*** no.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Honestly, is this a serious attempt?

Dorofeyev at 21?

K'Andre Miller not even on the list? Zegras, Broberg etc. as honorable mentions? Boldy and Newhook ahead of Kravtsov??
Welp, I didn't expect a global mod to come in and have a response like that, but yeah, its very serious. Like hundreds of hours of watching hockey serious.

Reactions: uncleben

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Top 20 is a bit overkill. But it is hilarious that a guy who was praised for having a complete game, who led his league in scoring, even over next year's consensus #1OA pick, isn't even an honorable mention.

... But Josh Brook's WHL production makes him a Top 15 prospect.
No, Josh Brooks upside make him a top 15 prospect. He has every single tool you want in a top pairing Dman.

Veleno does not have every single tool you want in a top line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad