C Jiri Kulich - Rochester Americans, AHL (2022, 28th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes I agree although holloway had injury issues and did spend a year in college after being drafted so the 2 situations aren't exactly similar.

I do think that at some point either Kulich of Cozens moves to the wing as there is only so much top 6 center playing time available and Buffalo is taking a new approach on their bottom 6.
Different for sure. Even different kind of players.

But, Hollo was not getting what he needed in Edmonton. He may get a top 6 role in St. Louis and absolutely kill it (I wish him well, really liked his game). He may also get 3 more injuries, end up in AHL again. But I didn't see him getting one PP minute anytime soon in Edmonton and I'm not sure the plan was for him beside Drai or McD this coming season? Maybe I'm wrong but they seemed to sign a whole bunch of vets to take this roles - Skinner, Henrique, Kane, RNH and Hyman are all competing for 4 winger spots. And Brown.lol

It's a thin line and extremely hard to predict when a guy is NHL ready and a lot of GM's would rather fill those roles with older guys on PTO's or league minimum. Then the first rounders get frustrated becasue they are blocked by place fillers. Or they finally make the show and get 8 minutes with 2 guys that have never scored 20 points in the NHL.lol

Reactions: slumpy43

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Keep in mind, my views are from a Czech perspective and not the Sabre's perspective. Different agenda.

But when your first rounder is in the AHL and gets 100 points as a teenager. Their really isn't much left. I can't think of many 1C or 2C's that entered the NHL as a rookie 1C or 2C (Bedard last year would be an example). Maybe Jack Hughes and even he struggled. So this 'keep him in the AHL till he's a NHL 1C' is not a good strategy to me because you rarely see it.

There is such a thing as too much AHL for forwards.. you keep them their long enough and they become great AHL players and not NHL ones. Kulich needs to be skating with the big boys and going through his growing pains as he's proven he can score and skate in the AHL and that he's tops for his age group (based on international tourneys against his peers - several MVP, goal scoring and asg nominations).

Now where do you put him? No idea. But my Oilers recently had a similarly pedigreed first rounder in Holoway and he bolted on an offer sheet as we were constantly shuffling him between AHL and NHL and giving him healthy scratches and 8 minute nights.

I actually once started a thread on here of the best NHL forwards to play more than 100 AHL games - and it was a surprisingly short list of forwards (not D or G) that played 100 AHL games or more and then went onto prolific NHL careers. Plekanec, Benn, Marty St. Louis and maybe 20 more guys in history.

Thinline and hope the Sabres strike that balance.

The caveat being that most players don't come to the AHL until they turn 20. They don't spend their 18YO and 19YO seasons there, so it's not a pure apples to apples comparison.

I think there is an opportunity for him to be the first recall in the middle of the lineup if/when there are injuries. They have worked on him at center in the AHL and he's made progress but I still think he's best suited in the NHL as a 2-way winger who can give them shot options on the PP.

I am expecting both he and Rousek are part of the group that breaks from the North American camp to play the exhibition game in Munich and then in Prague against the Devils. But one (or both) may be heading back down if they aren't impressive in the other pre-season action.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The caveat being that most players don't come to the AHL until they turn 20. They don't spend their 18YO and 19YO seasons there, so it's not a pure apples to apples comparison.

I think there is an opportunity for him to be the first recall in the middle of the lineup if/when there are injuries. They have worked on him at center in the AHL and he's made progress but I still think he's best suited in the NHL as a 2-way winger who can give them shot options on the PP.

I am expecting both he and Rousek are part of the group that breaks from the North American camp to play the exhibition game in Munich and then in Prague against the Devils. But one (or both) may be heading back down if they aren't impressive in the other pre-season action.
It is a caveat but doesn't it make it more impressive that he's already done that in the AHL?

You can compare him to the teenage Euro's that played in the AHL. He stands out.

As another example... his linemate Sale went to OHL. Probably will go back to OHL this year. Both first rounders, both eligible for AHL.. which one do you want? The one in AHL or the one in OHL for their d+1 and D+2 seasons? Both first rounders, both offensive players made for PP and Top 6.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It is a caveat but doesn't it make it more impressive that he's already done that in the AHL?

You can compare him to the teenage Euro's that played in the AHL. He stands out.

As another example... his linemate Sale went to OHL. Probably will go back to OHL this year. Both first rounders, both eligible for AHL.. which one do you want? The one in AHL or the one in OHL for their d+1 and D+2 seasons? Both first rounders, both offensive players made for PP and Top 6.

As someone who was initially interested in Sale but soured on him over the course of his draft year, I would lean toward Kulich anyway.

He's close. If his detail work that he's showing in the prospect camp continues into pre-season, getting under people, taking away time and space (and the puck) and going into traffic for less glamorous goals, I fully expect him to be a hard decision when camp breaks.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Maybe too much weight being given here to what is a relatively rare situation: 100 AHL games over D1 and D2 seasons?

It appears the plan for Kulich is to ask him to dominate the AHL until an opening is created in Buffalo, where it will be up to him to grab that opportunity and not let it go.

Most of the time when a guy picked in the late first gets his first real NHL chance midway through his D3 season, you say he’s on track, or ahead of the curve.

Looking at the previous drafts year, it’s the path Stankoven took. Heck, it faster than Jason Robertson and look where he is.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe too much weight being given here to what is a relatively rare situation: 100 AHL games over D1 and D2 seasons?

It appears the plan for Kulich is to ask him to dominate the AHL until an opening is created in Buffalo, where it will be up to him to grab that opportunity and not let it go.

Most of the time when a guy picked in the late first gets his first real NHL chance midway through his D3 season, you say he’s on track, or ahead of the curve.

And at the moment he looks like he's going to be 1C in Rochester if he doesn't make that jump this camp - it's rare for guys to come in their 20YO season and be the 1C in the AHL but he's grown his game enough. He'll be PP1 on the right flank as a shooter, PK2 (or 3 depending on forward pairs) again, and likely rolling with Rosen and Neuchev as their top offensive line in Rochester if that's where he lands. I can see that path where he beats the damn door down by Christmas/New Years.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
As someone who was initially interested in Sale but soured on him over the course of his draft year, I would lean toward Kulich anyway.

He's close. If his detail work that he's showing in the prospect camp continues into pre-season, getting under people, taking away time and space (and the puck) and going into traffic for less glamorous goals, I fully expect him to be a hard decision when camp breaks.
Sale is doing pretty good lately in playoffs in OHL in NT and in preseason games(he had 2 assists last night)

Reactions: Czechboy

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The scoring was never in question but gosh, if Kulich has unlocked a more complete game it’s gonna be hard to send him down. Still probably need to temper things until we see it against full NHL squads and the depth in front of him is a potential road block if everybody is healthy in terms of making an immediate impact.

I do wonder if he eventually makes a guy like JJP available in the right deal to round out the blueline with another piece? Something will have to give eventually with all the forwards and forward prospects especially because the Sabres have filled their bottom six with more traditional bottom six veterans this off-season. A slightly older prospect like Rosen is at risk for over-stewing and potentially losing options/value without much avenue to making the club in the next year…

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
The scoring was never in question but gosh, if Kulich has unlocked a more complete game it’s gonna be hard to send him down. Still probably need to temper things until we see it against full NHL squads and the depth in front of him is a potential road block if everybody is healthy in terms of making an immediate impact.

I do wonder if he eventually makes a guy like JJP available in the right deal to round out the blueline with another piece? Something will have to give eventually with all the forwards and forward prospects especially because the Sabres have filled their bottom six with more traditional bottom six veterans this off-season. A slightly older prospect like Rosen is at risk for over-stewing and potentially losing options/value without much avenue to making the club in the next year…
Kulich, if he pushes someone out of the lineup, is looking at replacing Zucker/Greenway into next year. If he makes the opening night roster, I'd think a Krebs/Greenway/4th line guy would sit to make room

Forsbergaura21

Jul 20, 2024

This is why I’m not sure why Buffalo signed Zucker. Thankfully it’s only a 1 year deal. Once Zucker is gone I think there will be more room for Kulich.

In 25-26 season I could see something like this:
Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Kulich - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - Ostlund - Rosen
Lafferty - McLeod - Greenway

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This is why I’m not sure why Buffalo signed Zucker. Thankfully it’s only a 1 year deal. Once Zucker is gone I think there will be more room for Kulich.

In 25-26 season I could see something like this:
Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Kulich - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - Ostlund - Rosen
Lafferty - McLeod - Greenway

You guys are gonna love Malenstyn. I think he will be an absolute regular on the 4th or even 3rd line moving forward the next couple years at minimum. That third line looks too lightweight IMO even projecting out. Also I know Greenway is limited but I think folks are too non-chalantly putting him in the scratches/traded/4th line spare minutes section to make room for kids.

But…regardless, Sabres have so many assets in play, could be a thousand permutations. Doesn’t even include Wahlberg who I think is the sleeper of the pool with his size and versatility.

Reactions: wetcoast

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Good on Kulich to step up. Actually has me excited for a prospect. He did not impress me last year. Krebs is done here, idk why they resigned him for 2 years tbh.

Reactions: Forsbergaura21

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
You guys are gonna love Malenstyn. I think he will be an absolute regular on the 4th or even 3rd line moving forward the next couple years at minimum.
As you mentioned a plethora of options.

It seems obvious Malenstyn--Lafferty--Aube-Kubel were all brought in to be the 4th line (basically 2/3 of Washington's 4th last year). Also pretty sure McLeod slots as 3C with the ability to go on the wing but still take face-offs if one the youngsters is tried at C.

My guess is that 4th doesn't get altered much, but is used to insulate the 3rd line so Kulich and other youngsters can have tryouts and be injury call-ups.

If Kulich can stick at C, it would allow Buffalo in 2 years to simulate the Dallas lineup with 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that takes difficult D-zone draws.

That 4th line is fast and physical. While players who get 11 minute a night don't garner much attention, those three should really make the Sabres much harder to face.

Reactions: BKarchitect

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Good on Kulich to step up. Actually has me excited for a prospect. He did not impress me last year. Krebs is done here, idk why they resigned him for 2 years tbh.
Don´t know how Krebs has anything to fear from Kulich, Krebs is bottom6er kulich is top6er. Kulich is competition for Benson, Quinn, Cozens(who is nobody without Peterka) and Zucker.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Don´t know how Krebs has anything to fear from Kulich, Krebs is bottom6er kulich is top6er. Kulich is competition for Benson, Quinn, Cozens(who is nobody without Peterka) and Zucker.
In what world is Kulich gifted a top 6 role? He most likely settles in on the third line, which bounces someone else out of the lineup. Krebs already has no spot in the lineup if Kulich DOESN'T make the team. Your whole post is idiotic. Kulich is not in competition with Quinn or Cozens either. He is competing with Greenway and Krebs for a spot. Maybe Lindy likes him with Cozens and Quinn, but that bounces Zucker/Benson to 3 and still ensures Krebs is an extra.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
In what world is Kulich gifted a top 6 role? He most likely settles in on the third line, which bounces someone else out of the lineup. Krebs already has no spot in the lineup if Kulich DOESN'T make the team. Your whole post is idiotic. Kulich is not in competition with Quinn or Cozens either. He is competing with Greenway and Krebs for a spot. Maybe Lindy likes him with Cozens and Quinn, but that bounces Zucker/Benson to 3 and still ensures Krebs is an extra.
In what world is Kulich bottom6er in very bad Sabres team? And watch your mouth do not use invectives.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
As you mentioned a plethora of options.

It seems obvious Malenstyn--Lafferty--Aube-Kubel were all brought in to be the 4th line (basically 2/3 of Washington's 4th last year). Also pretty sure McLeod slots as 3C with the ability to go on the wing but still take face-offs if one the youngsters is tried at C.

My guess is that 4th doesn't get altered much, but is used to insulate the 3rd line so Kulich and other youngsters can have tryouts and be injury call-ups.

If Kulich can stick at C, it would allow Buffalo in 2 years to simulate the Dallas lineup with 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that takes difficult D-zone draws.

That 4th line is fast and physical. While players who get 11 minute a night don't garner much attention, those three should really make the Sabres much harder to face.
Unless anything drastic happens, it is:

peterka Tage Tuch

XXX Cozens Quinn

XXX Mcleod XXX

Beck Laff Kubel

extras- Krebs Greenway

X= Benson Zucker Automatically take two spots. That leaves one for Greenway, Krebs, and Kulich. They love that 4th line combo. Idk if Greenway can take the spot away from Kubel is he is bumped. The obvious choice will likely be Kulich forcing himself on the team.

In terms of the remaining, Zucker should get the first top 6 opportunity as the Veteran. Maybe chemistry plays out differently and Benson gets the shot. Kulich is a dark horse to open on the top 6 he is 3rd in depth order for the three of them.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
In what world is Kulich bottom6er in very bad Sabres team? And watch your mouth do not use invectives.
That Sabres haven't been great, but they aren't Chicago of last year level of bad where they roster several non-NHL calibar talents. The Sabres are relatively deep at forward this year, and they have other young players playing in their Top 6. They aren't replacing Quinn/JJP/Tuch/Thompson/Benson/Cozens in the top 6. Kulich can play on the third line and PP2, and get plenty of ice time.

He can be a bottom 6er with the Sabres because the org has stated they want to run 3 lines fluidly...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad