Most overrated player on your favourite team - past or present

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Flyers/Provorov
Solid 2nd pairing D, but some fans and analysts thought he should’ve been new Erik Dejardins
I remember how when he was a rookie I was watching a flyers game and their announcers were going on and on about how he was already the smartest player in the league, highest hockey iq, etc

that kind of stuff goes a long ways towards people believing a player is better than he is.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Do people realize that when you disagree with someone's post in this thread you are essentially proving their point?

thank you for proving my point.
That’s some weird circular logic my friend. What ever makes you feel better I guess.

Fact is I’ve never really seen anyone over rate sharp in the 10 years I’ve been here or outside of this forum.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Boris Mironov maybe?

I remember him being touted as the next great top pairing defenseman for Chicago.
He was decent but never really impressed much.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Fantilli, really? How’s he been developing?
There's a subset of our fanbase that thinks that if Jarmo thought a player was worth signing or drafting, they must be utter garbage. Several posters on hf would not just trade him for a bag of pucks but fully happily pay someone else to take Sillinger, for example. Fantilli isn't instantly a star like Bedard, so obviously he's also worthless and an overrated chump.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
If I say McDavid is overrated and people call me an idiot, do they prove me right?

McDavid would be very tough to call overrated, but I could see a scenario where someone could argue he is overrated if that person places extreme value on winning Cups and is responding to people who say that McDavid is already a top 5 player all time.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
That’s some weird circular logic my friend. What ever makes you feel better I guess.

Fact is I’ve never really seen anyone over rate sharp in the 10 years I’ve been here or outside of this forum.

I think the fact that I called him the worst good player in the NHL and that sparked two Hawks fans to get upset about it lends truth to what I was saying. I said he was a good player. I just happen to believe that of all the good players in the NHL back then, he was the worst. That's still not really a bad thing to say about a guy who played in 1 all star game.

But at the end of the day, he was advertised as a scorer, but he lacked finishing skills especially on break aways where his best move was to fire a wrister high and wide. His hands were meh. His IQ/vision was below average for a supposed high skill guy. Good player, propped up by great players. That's what it will say on his tombstone.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think the fact that I called him the worst good player in the NHL and that sparked two Hawks fans to get upset about it lends truth to what I was saying. I said he was a good player. I just happen to believe that of all the good players in the NHL back then, he was the worst. That's still not really a bad thing to say about a guy who played in 1 all star game.

But at the end of the day, he was advertised as a scorer, but he lacked finishing skills especially on break aways where his best move was to fire a wrister high and wide. His hands were meh. His IQ/vision was below average for a supposed high skill guy. Good player, propped up by great players. That's what it will say on his tombstone.
I’ve never seen anyone say anything you just said is my point. I don’t even understand what a worst good player is. Do you mean like worst second liner or ? Why is he the line between good and bad? What makes him that? Why does he qualify as a good player? Why isn’t he the best bad player?

He was more of a shooter than a breakaway, in close, hands guy or passer. That’s not news. He had some grit, played solid defense, would throw down when needed. Never really saw anyone prop him up as a high skill guy. People liked his shot.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

He was good for 27-36 goals a year on average in Chicago. Played any position in the top 9, was an excellent complimentary piece on the first line for a dynasty Hawks era, defensively responsible, very good skater, and a dose of size and physicality.

Not the same caliber of player as Toews, Kane, Kieth, or Hossa for sure but he was every bit as valuable and effective as Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, and Crawford.

He’s not a HoFer and won’t even have his number retired. Not sure why you’d disparage him by saying he was thought of too highly.

I’ve never seen anyone say anything you just said is my point. I don’t even understand what a worst good player is. Do you mean like worst second liner or ? Why is he the line between good and bad? What makes him that? Why does he qualify as a good player? Why isn’t he the best bad player?

He was more of a shooter than a breakaway, in close, hands guy or passer. That’s not news. He had some grit, played solid defense, would throw down when needed. Never really saw anyone prop him up as a high skill guy. People liked his shot.
My only slight against him is he didn’t bury that shot on Luongo in the 2011 series. We could’ve sent them home 3 times in a row.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Dion Phaneuf. He was well on his way to being a premier puck moving d-man who could shoot but then he just never reached that level. Leafs fans were happy with his play but those Flames fans who saw what he really could do were most disappointed. He never hit the highs he did in 07-08. He looked like he would be better than Shea Weber.

Current team? Not sure I'd call any of them overrated. They're all kinda seen as good to middling, from what I've read.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not popular but I'm going with Marleau for the Sharks. He and Thornton are considered the 2 unanimous for our Mount Rushmore, and while he was good, very good even, his career totals are where they are because of his durability. At no point did he ever feel like THE guy or even the second guy on the sharks. 3 seasons where he was PPG (barely), ONE season scoring over 40 goals. He had a knack for coming up big but then would tend to disappear for long stretches, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
This might not be a popular opinion, but for the Flames it’s Giordano.

This isn’t a knock on him—he’s one of my favorite players—but he fits the definition of overrated. He’s revered like Iginla, but he never reached that level or consistency.

Gio hit a very late prime, which influences people’s memory of him, especially among younger fans. The reality is that, for the first eight seasons of his career, up until he was 31, he was a fully replaceable top-four defenseman, and Flames fans often discussed trading him.

At 31, he turned it on and became a Norris-level defenseman, but it’s important to remember that, out of the 15 seasons he played in Calgary, he would only have been considered a #1 defenseman for five of them. Even during his late prime, his level of play fluctuated—he’d have a Norris-worthy year followed by an average season.

He never had any playoff success and had more than a few instances where he crumbled under pressure.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007

I like Toews, great player, but if anyone was overrated on those teams it's probably him considering the Crosby vs. Toews arguments a decade or so ago.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Bertuzzi's peak was so short (Mid 2002 - game 82 2003) that I have to vote him. If he had maintained that insane level for even 3-4 years then yeah he's an all time Canuck. But for the most part he was lazy, terrible defensively, extremely undisciplined, surly and kind of slow. I have to assume the reason he kept sticking around on so many teams afterwards was that he simply tantalized that power forward skillset enough to make them overlook all the other stuff.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Dion Phaneuf. He was well on his way to being a premier puck moving d-man who could shoot but then he just never reached that level. Leafs fans were happy with his play but those Flames fans who saw what he really could do were most disappointed. He never hit the highs he did in 07-08. He looked like he would be better than Shea Weber.

Current team? Not sure I'd call any of them overrated. They're all kinda seen as good to middling, from what I've read.

Dion was never the same after his hip injuries, he was a guy who relied 100% on his athleticism. Once he lost some of that he was just an average d-man.

I agree that it's hard to see anyone on the current edition of the Flames who you could call overrated considering we'll be pushing for a playoff spot and most (people who don't actually watch the Flames) think we're a bottom 3-5 roster. I'd say most of our team is underrated. Like Weegar should be on Team Canada, he's that good. Ras will be on Team Sweden, Kadri is worth every penny of his contract yet people (morons) think it's an unmovable albatross.

jani

Oct 15, 2023
Rantanen. It's just pure offense, lazy backchecking, hardly any physicality off the puck. Can be streaky and reliant on PP.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Fantilli, really? How’s he been developing?
It mostly comes from the observation that so few people are willing to talk about his flaws (=mainly reads with and without the puck).

When fans are trying to project a future roster that could be a legit SC contender, Fantilli is almost every time pencilled in as the 1C for CBJ. I agree that he has that upside but I don't think it's a surefire thing. He might also become a top-6 winger or 2C and still be a very effective player, but not necessarily a guy you can give center duties and comfortably line up against Barkovs and McDavids in a playoff series.

Another example of this is the current forward line combos discussion on our board. Through first 5 games we've only had one line getting good results at both ends of the ice (Chinakhov-Monahan-Marchenko) so we've started thinking about line shuffling and finding better wingers for Fantilli on the 2nd line to "get him going", as if he's certainly playing at a position (2C) he absolutely should be playing at this stage of his career, and the early struggles of their line is just a result of him playing with poor wingers.

And to your second question, could be just my imagination but I think he's taking baby steps in learning to be not out of position defensively, and trying not to always dangle through first layer of forecheck or blindly throw it out of the zone in breakouts (the latter was an issue in preseason games).

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It mostly comes from the observation that so few people are willing to talk about his flaws (=mainly reads with and without the puck).

When fans are trying to project a future roster that could be a legit SC contender, Fantilli is almost every time pencilled in as the 1C for CBJ. I agree that he has that upside but I don't think it's a surefire thing. He might also become a top-6 winger or 2C and still be a very effective player, but not necessarily a guy you can give center duties and comfortably line up against Barkovs and McDavids in a playoff series.

Another example of this is the current forward line combos discussion on our board. Through first 5 games we've only had one line getting good results at both ends of the ice (Chinakhov-Monahan-Marchenko) so we've started thinking about line shuffling and finding better wingers for Fantilli on the 2nd line to "get him going", as if he's certainly playing at a position (2C) he absolutely should be playing at this stage of his career, and the early struggles of their line is just a result of him playing with poor wingers.

And to your second question, could be just my imagination but I think he's taking baby steps in learning to be not out of position defensively, and trying not to always dangle through first layer of forecheck or blindly throw it out of the zone in breakouts (the latter was an issue in preseason games).

Well said. I could see Fantilli becoming an All Star winger. But he also reminds me of a young Mackinnon, who had many of the same flaws. So I'm not ruling out 1C.

If they're breaking up the lines for Fantilli's sake then I'd like to see him on the topline wing right now. Let him just attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad