Most overrated player on your favourite team - past or present

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Flyers/Provorov
Solid 2nd pairing D, but some fans and analysts thought he should’ve been new Erik Dejardins
I remember how when he was a rookie I was watching a flyers game and their announcers were going on and on about how he was already the smartest player in the league, highest hockey iq, etc

that kind of stuff goes a long ways towards people believing a player is better than he is.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Do people realize that when you disagree with someone's post in this thread you are essentially proving their point?

thank you for proving my point.
That’s some weird circular logic my friend. What ever makes you feel better I guess.

Fact is I’ve never really seen anyone over rate sharp in the 10 years I’ve been here or outside of this forum.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
In general I think two way forwards get underrated and pure offensive guys get overvalued. I'm sure people out there think the exact opposite of me, though.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Boris Mironov maybe?

I remember him being touted as the next great top pairing defenseman for Chicago.
He was decent but never really impressed much.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Fantilli, really? How’s he been developing?
There's a subset of our fanbase that thinks that if Jarmo thought a player was worth signing or drafting, they must be utter garbage. Several posters on hf would not just trade him for a bag of pucks but fully happily pay someone else to take Sillinger, for example. Fantilli isn't instantly a star like Bedard, so obviously he's also worthless and an overrated chump.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
If I say McDavid is overrated and people call me an idiot, do they prove me right?

McDavid would be very tough to call overrated, but I could see a scenario where someone could argue he is overrated if that person places extreme value on winning Cups and is responding to people who say that McDavid is already a top 5 player all time.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
That’s some weird circular logic my friend. What ever makes you feel better I guess.

Fact is I’ve never really seen anyone over rate sharp in the 10 years I’ve been here or outside of this forum.

I think the fact that I called him the worst good player in the NHL and that sparked two Hawks fans to get upset about it lends truth to what I was saying. I said he was a good player. I just happen to believe that of all the good players in the NHL back then, he was the worst. That's still not really a bad thing to say about a guy who played in 1 all star game.

But at the end of the day, he was advertised as a scorer, but he lacked finishing skills especially on break aways where his best move was to fire a wrister high and wide. His hands were meh. His IQ/vision was below average for a supposed high skill guy. Good player, propped up by great players. That's what it will say on his tombstone.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think the fact that I called him the worst good player in the NHL and that sparked two Hawks fans to get upset about it lends truth to what I was saying. I said he was a good player. I just happen to believe that of all the good players in the NHL back then, he was the worst. That's still not really a bad thing to say about a guy who played in 1 all star game.

But at the end of the day, he was advertised as a scorer, but he lacked finishing skills especially on break aways where his best move was to fire a wrister high and wide. His hands were meh. His IQ/vision was below average for a supposed high skill guy. Good player, propped up by great players. That's what it will say on his tombstone.
I’ve never seen anyone say anything you just said is my point. I don’t even understand what a worst good player is. Do you mean like worst second liner or ? Why is he the line between good and bad? What makes him that? Why does he qualify as a good player? Why isn’t he the best bad player?

He was more of a shooter than a breakaway, in close, hands guy or passer. That’s not news. He had some grit, played solid defense, would throw down when needed. Never really saw anyone prop him up as a high skill guy. People liked his shot.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

He was good for 27-36 goals a year on average in Chicago. Played any position in the top 9, was an excellent complimentary piece on the first line for a dynasty Hawks era, defensively responsible, very good skater, and a dose of size and physicality.

Not the same caliber of player as Toews, Kane, Kieth, or Hossa for sure but he was every bit as valuable and effective as Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, and Crawford.

He’s not a HoFer and won’t even have his number retired. Not sure why you’d disparage him by saying he was thought of too highly.

I’ve never seen anyone say anything you just said is my point. I don’t even understand what a worst good player is. Do you mean like worst second liner or ? Why is he the line between good and bad? What makes him that? Why does he qualify as a good player? Why isn’t he the best bad player?

He was more of a shooter than a breakaway, in close, hands guy or passer. That’s not news. He had some grit, played solid defense, would throw down when needed. Never really saw anyone prop him up as a high skill guy. People liked his shot.
My only slight against him is he didn’t bury that shot on Luongo in the 2011 series. We could’ve sent them home 3 times in a row.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Dion Phaneuf. He was well on his way to being a premier puck moving d-man who could shoot but then he just never reached that level. Leafs fans were happy with his play but those Flames fans who saw what he really could do were most disappointed. He never hit the highs he did in 07-08. He looked like he would be better than Shea Weber.

Current team? Not sure I'd call any of them overrated. They're all kinda seen as good to middling, from what I've read.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not popular but I'm going with Marleau for the Sharks. He and Thornton are considered the 2 unanimous for our Mount Rushmore, and while he was good, very good even, his career totals are where they are because of his durability. At no point did he ever feel like THE guy or even the second guy on the sharks. 3 seasons where he was PPG (barely), ONE season scoring over 40 goals. He had a knack for coming up big but then would tend to disappear for long stretches, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad