Most overrated player on your favourite team - past or present

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
As much as it pains me to say it, Pavelski is my personal choice
In a recent thread about all time best playoff performers to never win a cup his name was brought up a few times. While Thornton and Marleau are seen as all time underperformers. All three guys had some great series and some awful series, but Thornton and Marleau were better players with harder deployment for most their time together.
Love Pavs though.

Completely disagree. There’s a reason Pavs has the playoff reputation he does, while Thornton and Marleau don’t. Pavs was also excellent defensively, so I’m not sure where your deployment thing comes from. The Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski line was arguably the best Sharks line of all time. Caved teams in possession-wise, and Pavs wasn’t a passenger on it.

My vote would be for Owen Nolan. A beloved figured in Sharks history, and I do miss the power forward era that he was a part of, but he basically had one great season and didn’t lead the team anywhere. Also took tons of dumb, selfish penalties.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Currently, Alex Turcotte appears to have arrived without any fanfare. Can't blame us, every time he is getting closed in on by a defender we clutch our rosaries - can’t wait until that feeling subsides. Modest 4 game streak with a point with outstanding pressure. Love to see it, there is a very good player beneath those injuries.

Edit: somehow the "underrated" thread got merged with the overrated thread. Clearly this post was in the under one.

God forbid there's an extra thread for the completely opposite thread.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I don't think anyone is outrageously overrated on the Jackets right now but if had to choose one it's either Fantilli, Sillinger, Chinakhov or Mateychuk.

Reactions: Realgud

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Overrated is a tough thing to pin down. By definition, you need most people to disagree with you. And when (if) people come around and agree that someone is overrated, then it's no longer true.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Huberdeau. A lazy, entitled floater who thankfully isn't employed by the Panthers anymore.
How was he overrated? He lead the franchise in scoring at one point. Had multiple seasons at PPG. Lead the team in scoring in the playoffs. How many players in the history of this franchise can say that? How were all of these other players who did much less, helping the franchise and he was not?
And he had a number of people who liked him and and number of people who disliked him. Overrating a player would be someone who is beloved like a franchise player by all of the fanbase and is a 3rd liner who doesn't score., for example.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
DRW- Yzerman as the useless GM
Edmonton - Darnell
How can a player be overrated when all anyone ever says about him is how bad he is? Darnell is overpaid - the most overpaid player in Oilers history possibly, but I don't think you can correlate overpaid with overrated. I believe there was a time when Nurse was overrated - but he gets ragged on all the time now, I would actually say he's underrated among most fans.

Reactions: Realgud and banks

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
For Edmonton its hard, our fanbase usually turns on players eventually unfortunately. I'll say maybe Bill Ranford. Everyone always loved him, and Oiler fans thought he was one of the best goalies in the league, and I don't think he ever was. He was an average goalie who had one amazing playoff run, and played well with good teams in front of him. As soon as the Oilers became a bad team, Ranford didn't look like a starting goalie.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
How can a player be overrated when all anyone ever says about him is how bad he is? Darnell is overpaid - the most overpaid player in Oilers history possibly, but I don't think you can correlate overpaid with overrated. I believe there was a time when Nurse was overrated - but he gets ragged on all the time now, I would actually say he's underrated among most fans.
I knew someone would question this comment so let me share my logic. I do agree with what you say, his is vilified by the fan base and not overrated in the purest sense so how can he be overrated? Hear me out…

Any coach or management that believes Nurse is a top 4 defenceman should be accused of overrating the player. At present, Nurse is #3 on the Oiler’s depth chart after Eckholm and Bouchard. The rest of the defencemen below him are not great but few /none are truthfully worse than Nurse, except maybe Josh Brown. He is slotted as a 3 simply because of his salary, not skills. Kulak as an example is a better defender at this point of his career. Stecher is as every bit effective (the question is whether he can be consistent over 82 games) and Emerson hopefully can grow and it won’t take much for him to be as or more effective is Darnell in short order.

It’s also an indictment of the poor asset management that the defense is such a putrid state of affairs that Nurse slots in that high.

The team overrates him (fans not as much).

Reactions: ManofSteel55

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
For the Devils I'd say Scott Gomez, people thought he was easily a 1st line player but Elias carried his ass most of the time. HM to John Marino, he was the definition of a 1 season wonder in NJ.
Current roster, is probably Palat, people think he's still a functional NHL player but he's cooked.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Steve Shutt was lucky to be Guy Lafleur's winger. I don't think he deserves to be in the HHOF.

I can't find a player who's overated now. Everybody says all our players suck. And if we talk about our fanbase, all our players are way overated. I'm a huge fan of Lane Hutson but when I see some reporters show numbers of how he's in the top-5 in the NHL, it makes me sick.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Literally the first name I thought of when I clicked on this thread. But Finger was drastically overrated (by the Leafs) during his time with the Avs, so I pick him for Colorado. Once he got to Toronto, he was no longer overrated, because everyone knew he sucked, he was just over paid.
He was a good bottom pairing guy.Peter Principles in effect.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Has to be Peter Forsberg for Nashville, someone made a poll this summer arguing the ten best Preds and included him over many better Nashville players.
I guess there's a debate to be had when it comes to this type of thing. For example, Jaromir Jagr is the best player to ever suit up for the Flames, but he only played his last 22 NHL games for Calgary, so he's obviously not one of the best Flames.

Still, I could see people voting for Jagr in a best Flames poll because he is #2 all time in NHL scoring

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Completely disagree. There’s a reason Pavs has the playoff reputation he does, while Thornton and Marleau don’t. Pavs was also excellent defensively, so I’m not sure where your deployment thing comes from. The Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski line was arguably the best Sharks line of all time. Caved teams in possession-wise, and Pavs wasn’t a passenger on it.

My vote would be for Owen Nolan. A beloved figured in Sharks history, and I do miss the power forward era that he was a part of, but he basically had one great season and didn’t lead the team anywhere. Also took tons of dumb, selfish penalties.
Still amazed when people put down the Ozolinsh for Nolan trade as a bad one for the Avalanche when Sandi's was integral to the winning the Cup and he was out scoring Nolan for a couple years there.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Chabot isn't overrated among Sens fans anymore, but fans around the league probably aren't aware of how much he's regressed since his sophomore season.

Used to be one of the more promising young offensive blueliners in the league, now he's barely a top 4 D and doesn't come close to justifying his 8M cap hit and 9.4M average salary for the remainder of his deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad