Pre-Game Talk: Week of the road warriors @SEA (Tuesday @6:30PM) @UTAH (Thursday @7:00PM)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Are the Avs turning the corner a little bit as far as drafting good NHL players in later rounds or outside of top 10 in the 1st round?

Looks like Ritchie is gonna be a good one 27th OA.

Kovalenko is already showing he belongs in the NHL. 6th round

Annunen 3rd round

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Are the Avs turning the corner a little bit as far as drafting good NHL players in later rounds or outside of top 10 in the 1st round?

Looks like Ritchie is gonna be a good one 27th OA.

Kovalenko is already showing he belongs in the NHL. 6th round

Annunen 3rd round

Not convinced at all on Annunen. Again, there was a stretch where Jonas Johansson put up NHL starter numbers and it was a mirage. Glad he had a good outing but he's got a long way before he silences the doubters.

Still, way better than what they've drafted in the past.

I'm encouraged from what I've seen on Ritchie so I'll remain optimistic on him.

Kovalenko, now that guy looks like a player. Kudos to whoever the scout was who found him.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Not convinced at all on Annunen. Again, there was a stretch where Jonas Johansson put up NHL starter numbers and it was a mirage. Glad he had a good outing but he's got a long way before he silences the doubters.

Still, way better than what they've drafted in the past.

I'm encouraged from what I've seen on Ritchie so I'll remain optimistic on him.

Kovalenko, now that guy looks like a player. Kudos to whoever the scout was who found him.
Seems like Annunen plays better when he gets the start rather than relieving the starter mid game. Last year he played 13 games and had 928 save%. It’s small sample size, but Bednar needs to give him more starts this year, specially when Georgiev is struggling

Reactions: CobraAcesS

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
If you start your week on Sunday, you should be required to go to work since it's not the weekend for you anymore.

Man I've always looked at it as there's a front end to the week (Sunday) and a back end to the week (Saturday). Insert sexual innuendo of your choice as you see fit.

• Haha

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seems like Annunen plays better when he gets the start rather than relieving the starter mid game. Last year he played 13 games and had 928 save%. It’s small sample size, but Bednar needs to give him more starts this year, specially when Georgiev is struggling

Eh, he started against a SJ team one summer removed from surpassing the 2016-17 Avalanche in the suck department (by one point!) and is missing the hotshot rookie they got out of that tank year.

He'll get more starts no doubt but this was only mildly encouraging. It's true that they might play better in front of him, and that may be what makes the difference. But while he was challenged, he was challenged by a team that has Alexander Wennberg as one of the triggermen on their power play. Like...they ain't even tryin'. And the one goal he DID give up was bad.

Time will tell...none of the goalies on the roster will be the solution. We can only hope for a reasonable facsimile thereof, unless CMac does something radical at some point during the season.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, he started against a SJ team one summer removed from surpassing the 2016-17 Avalanche in the suck department (by one point!) and is missing the hotshot rookie they got out of that tank year.

He'll get more starts no doubt but this was only mildly encouraging. It's true that they might play better in front of him, and that may be what makes the difference. But while he was challenged, he was challenged by a team that has Alexander Wennberg as one of the triggermen on their power play. Like...they ain't even tryin'. And the one goal he DID give up was bad.

Time will tell...none of the goalies on the roster will be the solution. We can only hope for a reasonable facsimile thereof, unless CMac does something radical at some point during the season.
No argument there. The only way to fix and solidify the Avs goaltending is to trade for one. I’m not sure if there are any good UFA goalies available next year if Avs decide to go with Georgiev this year then let him walk in the offseason and pick up someone.

Im thinking trade is truly the way to upgrade in net. The rumors of Avs looking at Blackwood and Gibson, I wonder how legit it is and can either of this goalies be the answer? Gibson could be good on a team like the Avs, I’m not too sure about Blackwood

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Was listening to one of the Avs beat reporters a few days ago and he said pretty definitively that the Avs starting goaltender for the 2025 SCPs is not currently on the roster. I believe that was before Poopoo Packonen got claimed off waivers. I think once the Nuke/Landy stuff gets sorted out and the money/cap situation clarifies, they'll make a move for a goalie.

They tried to do something at the 2024 TDL but they didn't have the assets or cap room to pull it off. The price tags were pretty high for goalies who weren't that much better than AG. And let's face it - AG wasn't the reason we got bounced by Dallas.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad