Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
He was never as good as everyone hoped he would be, I only understood when Pionk came around and and he turned out to be so much smarter and better player. Morrisey is quite the average player in my opinion.
Is this a drive by? That he was as good as everyone hoped and now he's not is more the matter being discussed...

Reactions: Evil Little

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if morrissey can play better we might not even need to spend for a high-end dman (ie: ekholm). but it's been almost 3 years since he's played at a high level consistently

Reactions: hn777

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Morrissey was our best all-around D-man in the last two games (although Forbort had his best game in a month in our O.T. win against the Habs).

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
if morrissey can play better we might not even need to spend for a high-end dman (ie: ekholm). but it's been almost 3 years since he's played at a high level consistently
Even if Morrissey elevates his game to a top pairing Dman we still have a below average core. Still need to upgrade in my opinion if we are going to go anywhere in the playoffs. Or make them for that matter.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I'm thinking that the coaches are feeding him minutes hoping he can play his way out of it. Problem is its been so long since he's been good Morrissey that I'm afraid he's just engraining bad habits into his game.
I wonder if Maurice (or Huddy?) might take him aside and have a "heart-to-heart" talk. That's assuming that they see what some of the fans see (that is, think we see.)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Even if Morrissey elevates his game to a top pairing Dman we still have a below average core. Still need to upgrade in my opinion if we are going to go anywhere in the playoffs. Or make them for that matter.
never said we wouldn't have to upgrade. but the acquisition of a player like ekholm, who seems to be the big fish at this TDL, becomes less of a need imo

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
never said we wouldn't have to upgrade. but the acquisition of a player like ekholm, who seems to be the big fish at this TDL, becomes less of a need imo
Ekholm is a very solid defenseman, would help our team immediately, and has an extra year at a very reasonable salary. Giving up a 1st in a reportedly weak draft class(which is a crapshoot at the best of times, not to mention said player is years away from contributing), and a couple B prospects who are likely to never be fulltime NHL'ers, is worth it IMO. We are still very much in win now mode and our current defense, as it is currently constructed, is doing us no favors.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ekholm is a very solid defenseman, would help our team immediately, and has an extra year at a very reasonable salary. Giving up a 1st in a reportedly weak draft class(which is a crapshoot at the best of times, not to mention said player is years away from contributing), and a couple B prospects who are likely to never be fulltime NHL'ers, is worth it IMO. We are still very much in win now mode and our current defense, as it is currently constructed, is doing us no favors.

maybe, but i don't think a 1st+couple B prospects will be the winning offer for him. he doesn't have a nmc or ntc so plenty of teams will be in on him with the low cap hit ofc.

yes he'd upgrade the d group but if morrissey can revert back to 2017 i think we'd have 2 pretty good pairings with

Morrissey-Demelo
Forbot-Pionk

and then maybe a lower-end acquisition like Savard

Stanley-Savard as a 3rd pairing.

i don't think that's terrible. i like ekholm not at the supposed cost of a 1st++ and then having to give him a UFA-contract at 32 just wary that's all

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wonder if there was any change impacting his performance in past 2-3 games (looks at DeMelo).
Two things. DeMelo really looks better than he did early in the season. Morrissey looks much more settled with a partner that isn't shoveling sh$t his way.

Reactions: Duke749

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Wonder if there was any change impacting his performance in past 2-3 games (looks at DeMelo).
I think that’s highly likely. Eye test says he was more aggressive and and seemed more assertive though. Also could be a byproduct of Demelo, he’s usually where he should be and doesn’t treat the puck like a grenade. That’s got to have some kind of positive effect on his partner.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrissey has been playing better as of late imo. but just interesting to see

top d pairs in xGF contain Smoke. Worst one's have Morrissey.....

(contextual factors come into play of course)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Morrissey has been playing better as of late imo. but just interesting to see

top d pairs in xGF contain Smoke. Worst one's have Morrissey.....

(contextual factors come into play of course)

Well yeah DeMelo is doing incredibly well playing heavily sheltered minutes with Stanley and the other bottom pairing dmen he's played with. I would hope that an established top 4 defensive dmen would perform well given that usage.

Two games worth of ice time with Pionk isn't a good enough sample size to draw conclusions.

Morrissey stunk playing his offside with Beau no question about it. It was a dumb spot for his coach to put him in and leave him in it when it was clearly not working and it impacted his confidence.

Poolman isn't a very good dmen and shouldn't be in the top 4, we saw the same thing last year. Results are pretty much the same with both of them together.

No question Morrissey had some real rough patches earlier in the year but he seems to be back playing at the level expected of him lately. Maybe he has finally learned how to carry a poor partner. Anyhow lets hope he keeps this up.

Reactions: Ducky10

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
even in RAPM Demelo is superior to Morrissey. id like to see a deeper dive into the quality-of-competition measures, maybe @garret9 can provide. but anyway dont think it's a surprise to anyone demelo has carried morrissey along with other 3rd pair/AHL dmen to competent on-ice results. he's been probably our best dman since he's gotten here.
Well yeah DeMelo is doing incredibly well playing heavily sheltered minutes with Stanley and the other bottom pairing dmen he's played with. I would hope that an established top 4 defensive dmen would perform well given that usage.

Two games worth of ice time with Pionk isn't a good enough sample size to draw conclusions.

Morrissey stunk playing his offside with Beau no question about it. It was a dumb spot for his coach to put him in and leave him in it when it was clearly not working and it impacted his confidence.

Poolman isn't a very good dmen and shouldn't be in the top 4, we saw the same thing last year. Results are pretty much the same with both of them together.

No question Morrissey had some real rough patches earlier in the year but he seems to be back playing at the level expected of him lately. Maybe he has finally learned how to carry a poor partner. Anyhow lets hope he keeps this up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
even in RAPM Demelo is superior to Morrissey. id like to see a deeper dive into the quality-of-competition measures, maybe @garret9 can provide. but anyway dont think it's a surprise to anyone demelo has carried morrissey along with other 3rd pair/AHL dmen to competent on-ice results.

Well yeah Morrissey hasn't been amazing himself but how much of that is not trusting his partners and playing ultra conservative which isn't his game and how much of that was his shoulder causing him to play timid physically.

Perhaps his injury was far more severe then we thought it was and he is only know feeling comfortable enough to fully engage. Anyhow he's been looking a lot more like his old self the last 5 or so games while playing with and carrying Poolman.

I am confident he can maintain and even improve upon his offensive game down the stretch. As a team we need him to be able to do so if we are to make any noise in the playoffs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well yeah Morrissey hasn't been amazing himself but how much of that is not trusting his partners and playing ultra conservative which isn't his game and how much of that was his shoulder causing him to play timid physically.

Perhaps his injury was far more severe then we thought it was and he is only know feeling comfortable enough to fully engage. Anyhow he's been looking a lot more like his old self the last 5 or so games while playing with and carrying Poolman.

I am confident he can maintain and even improve upon his offensive game down the stretch. As a team we need him to be able to do so if we are to make any noise in the playoffs.
dunno he hasn't been consistently good since 17-18 imo. nevertheless, his mistakes and gaffes are not all due to his partner. he makes so many individual mistakes regardless of who is partner is. he's our highest paid dman and isn't performing like it there's no excuse.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
dunno he hasn't been consistently good since 17-18 imo. nevertheless, his mistakes and gaffes are not all due to his partner. he makes so many individual mistakes regardless of who is partner is. he's our highest paid dman and isn't performing like it there's no excuse.

He was very good in 18-19 and was pacing 45 plus points and had the teams highest GAR on defense despite missing a good chunk of the season.

Every player makes numerous individual mistakes its a game of mistakes. Yes he obviously needs to keep playing like he has recently to justify his contract.

I'm just not as willing as some to kick him to the curb after a difficult 1.5 years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well you have more faith in him turning it around than I evidently. He's been terrible overall for going on 2+ years and needs DeMelo to carry him to competent results.

He was very good in 18-19 and was pacing 45 plus points and had the teams highest GAR on defense despite missing a good chunk of the season.

Every player makes numerous individual mistakes its a game of mistakes. Yes he obviously needs to keep playing like he has recently to justify his contract.

I'm just not as willing as some to kick him to the curb after a difficult 1.5 years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well you have more faith in him turning it around than I evidently. He's been terrible overall for going on 2+ years and needs DeMelo to carry him to competent results.

Anyhow last 6 games he has positive underlying metrics across the board:

53 CF% 51.65 XGF%. Seems like his game has already rebounded significantly and he's playing real strong hockey without DeMelo. Obviously he needs to keep this level of performance up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad