Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What separate Pionk from a true # 1 this season?
not sure, id like to see how his quality-of-competition rates among other true 1RD, hence why i was asking the question.

if he's achieving similar results as other true 1RD's, while facing similar competition, i think it'd be safe to label him as one.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think part of it is QOT, but really I think he's still dealing with his 2019 injury. If I recall correctly, he was getting maintenance days right at the start of last season. I think this is a long term thing and I hope he recovers fully in time.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Morrissey is still a good defenseman but he's not a #1 like a Buff for example, never was. He is a good #2 or 3 though and at 6 million he's being paid like a #2 or #3 defenseman. #1 defenseman start at 8 million and go up from there. Hopefully Chevy can get another solid #3 defenseman or Heinola becomes that.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think part of it is QOT, but really I think he's still dealing with his 2019 injury. If I recall correctly, he was getting maintenance days right at the start of last season. I think this is a long term thing and I hope he recovers fully in time.

If this is true then Maurice shouldn’t be putting him out there to shut the bed. Why not shelter him until he’s healthy ?

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrissey is still a good defenseman but he's not a #1 like a Buff for example, never was. He is a good #2 or 3 though and at 6 million he's being paid like a #2 or #3 defenseman. #1 defenseman start at 8 million and go up from there. Hopefully Chevy can get another solid #3 defenseman or Heinola becomes that.
He's 26th highest paid. Is that considered a 2 or 3?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd say put Pionk with him - Pionk fills all the needs that garret eluded to - moves the puck very well and is plenty physical (if not huge). The issue with that is it really hampers your bottom 4. If you wanted to get wild you could draw in Heinola, play him with Demelo, and then go Forbort Poolman which I think would be fine as your third pair.

No way that is going to happen for a variety of reasons, but I think that might actually work. Pionk can prop up Morrissey, Demelo can insulate Heinola and Forbort and Poolman can PK and pick up the softer minutes.

Reactions: Guerzy

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd say put Pionk with him - Pionk fills all the needs that garret eluded to - moves the puck very well and is plenty physical (if not huge). The issue with that is it really hampers your bottom 4. If you wanted to get wild you could draw in Heinola, play him with Demelo, and then go Forbort Poolman which I think would be fine as your third pair.

No way that is going to happen for a variety of reasons, but I think that might actually work. Pionk can prop up Morrissey, Demelo can insulate Heinola and Forbort and Poolman can PK and pick up the softer minutes.

Pomo put them together last game let’s see if it sticks. Would make it a lot easier to grab another dman as we are not trying to find one to save morrisey

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pomo put them together last game let’s see if it sticks. Would make it a lot easier to grab another dman as we are not trying to find one to save morrisey
Yeah I saw that near the end - trying to get some offense I'd imagine. I'd love to see them play a whole game together.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
Morrisseey has no IQ. He is constantly out of position. He is worth $1.5 $2.2 tops. He needs to be traded immediately cause he is going to hurt the team with that cap for play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad