Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Agree.

It will be a different story for me if we pair JoMo with a quality dman and we still see what we're seeing. Then I will be concerned. But for right now, I am looking deeper into the "why" this could be happening. The sample size of his career has shown me a reliable, smart top pairing dman that did the job marvelously with Byfuglien and Trouba.

JMO, but not having guys like Buff could be some of the issue. With Buff and Trouba, Morrissey was just a solid guy on the team, but when guys like Trouba and Buff leave, and this coincides with Morrissey starting a $50 million contract... Morrissey is now "the guy" or maybe in his own mind he sees himself having to perform like he's the best D-man on the team. IE.. just the pressure that comes with the contract.

And maybe Morrissey will just always be the complementary piece and not the leading piece.

Reactions: Guerzy

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As Garret posted on Twitter - something is way way off with Morrissey:

I mean, he maybe took a step back last year, but this year he's just getting swamped. Stats, eye test, whatever...he's not doing well.

Edit: DeMelo, OTOH is fine and is not the problem with the Jets' D. Jets with him on the ice are outscoring, outshooting, outchancing opponents.

Edit2: I mean, 3 more years after this one of DeMelo at $3M per? No complaints at all. Compare with 7 more years of Morrissey at $6.25M holy shit...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
As Garret posted on Twitter - something is way way off with Morrissey:

I mean, he maybe took a step back last year, but this year he's just getting swamped. Stats, eye test, whatever...he's not doing well.

Edit: DeMelo, OTOH is fine and is not the problem with the Jets' D. Jets with him on the ice are outscoring, outshooting, outchancing opponents.

Edit2: I mean, 3 more years after this one of DeMelo at $3M per? No complaints at all. Compare with 7 more years of Morrissey at $6.25M holy shit...

Demelo is fine out there imo. he will never wow you or be on the highlight reels-for good or bad reasons....

morrissey on the otherhand....ya he'll be on highlight reels, but not for jets goals.

maybe we were hoodwinked in thinking we need a top pair RD, when in reality, it's the left side that's the problem. Morrissey hasn't been top pair caliber for over 2 years now? Pionk has been amazing this year, idk what his QoC stats say if he's going against top-comp enough to be labelled "top-pair quality" (the results might show it though) but at the minimum he's a V high-end 2RD this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gm0ney and hn777

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
JMO, but not having guys like Buff could be some of the issue. With Buff and Trouba, Morrissey was just a solid guy on the team, but when guys like Trouba and Buff leave, and this coincides with Morrissey starting a $50 million contract... Morrissey is now "the guy" or maybe in his own mind he sees himself having to perform like he's the best D-man on the team. IE.. just the pressure that comes with the contract.

And maybe Morrissey will just always be the complementary piece and not the leading piece.

I think Chevy and Maurice put to much on morriseys plate. Gave him an A and a big contract and they both thought he was better then he is.

Reactions: hn777

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Bring in Buff to coach Morrissey. I think this is mental rather than physical injury He lost the mental edge and making mistakes that never see him do.

:clap::clap::clap:Hey I like this idea. If Buff still lives in the Peg (I don't know), the logistics are easy. Plus, his superstar status brings a big can of instant respect. I think he'd be a natural.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
Wonder if he becomes our 5th best dman in a few years? Pionk, heinola, Samberg, and Stanley could be our top 4 if he keeps playing like this imo

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Wonder if he becomes our 5th best dman in a few years? Pionk, heinola, Samberg, and Stanley could be our top 4 if he keeps playing like this imo

Yes he will be. But Maurice won’t play him like that. He has an A and makes over 6 mil a year. He will be played way above his head because of this

Last edited:

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
Don't forget about that kid Chisholm too. Nobody talks about him, but he could be the best of the bunch one day.
Yeah hes looking like stud!! Im really excited about the future of our blueline even if Morrissey becomes a boat anchor contract!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Demelo is fine out there imo. he will never wow you or be on the highlight reels-for good or bad reasons....

morrissey on the otherhand....ya he'll be on highlight reels, but not for jets goals.

maybe we were hoodwinked in thinking we need a top pair RD, when in reality, it's the left side that's the problem. Morrissey hasn't been top pair caliber for over 2 years now? Pionk has been amazing this year, idk what his QoC stats say if he's going against top-comp enough to be labelled "top-pair quality" (the results might show it though) but at the minimum he's a V high-end 2RD this season.

Last year

TOI: Morrissey started the season as the #1 ice time guy and also the tough line matches. By quarter of the season that swapped to Pionk being number one, and when the Jets picked up DeMelo he was #3 to hit the ice. This swap was with Pionk moving to top PP unit and Morrissey moving to the second.

5v5 Pairings: Morrissey started as top pair, but with rotation of Poolman, Pionk, and Kulikov. Part way Pionk became regualr top pair with Sbisa, with Morrissey and Poolman being led out as second pair mostly. End of the season Beaulieu-DeMelo was top pair until Morrissey replaced Beaulieu, with Pionk second pair with Kulikov.

Usage: Last season Morrissey saw the top d-pairings and forwards the most, but Pionk was close by, with Poolman, DeMelo, and Kulikov not far behind.

This Year

TOI: Morrissey has almost exclusively been top in ice time, even when he's not in 5v5. This is mostly due to him playing on the top PP with Pionk now on the second, a swap from last year.

5v5 Pairings: Pionk pair has seen more second pairing mins, with Morrissey pairing seeing more top pairing minutes... at the start. Around the 10 game point it became very 50/50 back and forth, temporarily, and now it's back to what it was before.

Usage: Pionk pair almost exclusively saw tougher minutes at the start, but that's been evening out as we go throughout the season. It's about even.

So there's no real reason to say usage, in terms of TOI and linematching is the issue. I'd say the real issue has been usage in terms of role.

I said it here:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Yeah hes looking like stud!! Im really excited about the future of our blueline even if Morrissey becomes a boat anchor contract!
I still expect Morrissey to return to form. The fact is, his main issue this season is inconsistency... he does play very, very well for stretches. He has a good game, a great game or some great shifts. But we keep seeing his mistakes, because they generally aren't little ones. Sometimes it seems that every mistake he makes ends up in the back of our net. Time to keep it simple, get that confidence back, and then try to do more.

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
I still expect Morrissey to return to form. The fact is, his main issue this season is inconsistency... he does play very, very well for stretches. He has a good game, a great game or some great shifts. But we keep seeing his mistakes, because they generally aren't little ones. Sometimes it seems that every mistake he makes ends up in the back of our net. Time to keep it simple, get that confidence back, and then try to do more.
I just hope we don't overpay for Ekholm to get him back on track. He's gonna get in the way of our young guys we got coming. Hopefully it's just a rental like Savard

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some thoughts about Morrissey...

He had a very good track record as a junior and AHL prospect. So his good play earlier in his career wasn't all that unexpected. He has a strong talent base and can process the game quickly.

In the past, his main deficit has been when he's played tentatively, and that's returned into his game.

His performance has clearly fallen off since a couple of key events: the departure of Trouba (and Buff), 2) a substantial injury (probably a fractured or "separated" clavicle).

I think his poor performance since is perhaps related to both changes. As @garret9 indicated, Morrissey might need a different type of partner to be fully effective - perhaps one that can carry more of a load in puck carrying and physical defensive play. I also think Morrissey needs to regain his aggressiveness in defensive play, particularly in his end of the ice. He's letting the play come to him more than he used to.

I'm not sure whether the Jets have an ideal partner in their system, or on the trade market. DeMelo might be a good complement defensively, but isn't all that physical or good at carrying the puck. Heinola is a great puck mover, but lacks defensive physicality. Samberg is good defensively, but not as good moving the puck. Maybe the Jets thought Poolman could be a poor man's Trouba, but he has a lot of inconsistency with the puck.

Trade targets? Savard is a big physical D, but will Morrissey be able to provide more of the puck carrying / movement? Ekholm might be ideal, but would force one of them to their off side. Ristolainen? He might be like a more expensive Poolman in terms of style and defense, though better offensively.

Would the Jets consider trading Morrissey? I highly doubt it. He's too well respected by the coaches and brass. But if they did, replacing Morrissey with a D like Lindholm or Ekholm might improve the Jets.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
somebody remind me when he stopped playing with 33 and 8 and started trying to carry poor RD?

upload_2021-3-16_14-52-35.png

Reactions: Gm0ney

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Last year

TOI: Morrissey started the season as the #1 ice time guy and also the tough line matches. By quarter of the season that swapped to Pionk being number one, and when the Jets picked up DeMelo he was #3 to hit the ice. This swap was with Pionk moving to top PP unit and Morrissey moving to the second.

5v5 Pairings: Morrissey started as top pair, but with rotation of Poolman, Pionk, and Kulikov. Part way Pionk became regualr top pair with Sbisa, with Morrissey and Poolman being led out as second pair mostly. End of the season Beaulieu-DeMelo was top pair until Morrissey replaced Beaulieu, with Pionk second pair with Kulikov.

Usage: Last season Morrissey saw the top d-pairings and forwards the most, but Pionk was close by, with Poolman, DeMelo, and Kulikov not far behind.

This Year

TOI: Morrissey has almost exclusively been top in ice time, even when he's not in 5v5. This is mostly due to him playing on the top PP with Pionk now on the second, a swap from last year.

5v5 Pairings: Pionk pair has seen more second pairing mins, with Morrissey pairing seeing more top pairing minutes... at the start. Around the 10 game point it became very 50/50 back and forth, temporarily, and now it's back to what it was before.

Usage: Pionk pair almost exclusively saw tougher minutes at the start, but that's been evening out as we go throughout the season. It's about even.

So there's no real reason to say usage, in terms of TOI and linematching is the issue. I'd say the real issue has been usage in terms of role.

I said it here:

wow, thanks for the great detailed response. is it safe to conclude that Pionk has been achieving top-pair RD results while facing similar quality-of-opponents as other top-pair quality RD?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
wow, thanks for the great detailed response. is it safe to conclude that Pionk has been achieving top-pair RD results while facing similar quality-of-opponents as other top-pair quality RD?
What separate Pionk from a true # 1 this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad