Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Matthews, Marner, Nylander aren't dumb enough to do something like this, it's only some dusty 3rd/4th line plug that does nonsense like this.

Anybody that has played Hockey at any decent level knows all teams would've responded the same way.

Not even remotely close to as bad as what Grieg did and yet Crosby of all people goes after him.

Crosby didn't crosscheck Zegras in the f***ing face either

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
maybe try accomplishing something before throwing shade, but i get it i get it. you guys won a round in the playoffs

Keefe's response when asked about the hit was "I thought it was appropriate" if that doesn't say he thought it was justified im not sure what to say.
Oh I see. Keefe is the “brass” that was mentioned in the post? Really?

After the bettman decision was posted and it contains the positions the nhlpa took and what shanahan said according to bettmans document?

This is what I mean. Bend the truth to stir shit and defend their “feelings”. More than use actual facts to back up claims.

Those days are gone. Here in HF, sports talk in general and society as a whole

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Messrs. Rielly, Treliving, and Shanahan are a bunch of whining bitches. f***ing embarrassment, appealing like a bunch of losers crying about Greig's EN goal to no avail but more embarrassment, ahahahahahaah!
Thanks for backing up my statement. Lol

Reactions: armani

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs brass embarrassing themselves trying to legitimately make the argument to the league that Rielly was justified to cross check a player in the face because of a perceived slight.

Talk about an entitled franchise. Parroted the crap logic from Toronto sports media and got shut down in hilarious fashion.
:laugh: This is dumb, congrats I guess.

Reactions: AvroArrow

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Maybe Rielly started the fire

Ends with a cup in June

slow down there cowboy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JimmyApples

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Messrs. Rielly, Treliving, and Shanahan are a bunch of whining bitches. f***ing embarrassment, appealing like a bunch of losers crying about Greig's EN goal to no avail but more embarrassment, ahahahahahaah!
:laugh: Keep them coming

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Appropriate response would've been bumping himlike that, or face washing him, or a small time slash to respectable spot - you shouldn't use your stick like that with the potential of hitting them in the face for a small act of showboating.
Womp womp, play stupid games win stupid prizes. If you don't want any player doing what Rielly did, don't do what Greig did, that simple.

This is not a cross-check to the head. Sid was smart enough to not do that.

If that is all Reilly did to Grieg, he wouldn't be suspended. Again, what Greig did is irrelevant. The suspension has everything to do with a cross-check to the head of an unsuspecting player after the whistle. The end.
Yeah cuz it wasn't an empty net slapshot to win the game.

Yeah what Greig did is irrelevant, lmfao, have you ever watched team sports? This happens in ALL sports

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
This is what everybody has been telling leafs fans for the past week
I agree it is irrelevant to fans who have never played high level sports themselves and have no knowledge of how teams function.

Leafs players loved it.
Leafs are 4-0.

Good job Greig.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Womp womp, play stupid games win stupid prizes. If you don't want any player doing what Rielly did, don't do what Greig did, that simple.

Yeah cuz it wasn't an empty net slapshot to win the game.

Yeah what Greig did is irrelevant, lmfao, have you ever watched team sports? This happens in ALL sports

Go over and bump him, push him, facewash him, chirp him...probably fine.

Cross-check to the head. Not fine.

It's really not a hard concept. That's what he was suspended for. Doesn't matter why he felt the need to do it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I agree it is irrelevant to fans who have never played high level sports themselves and have no knowledge of how teams function.

Leafs players loved it.
Leafs are 4-0.

Good job Greig.
And that's perfectly 100% fine.

Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a 5 game suspension.

When players are asked, they are being asked two things: 1. Is what Greig did okay? 2. Do you like the response from Reilly. And it's okay to say "NO! YES!" but I imagine if they are asked a more directed question of "Is it okay that Reilly cross-checked Greig in the head during the celebration", you're going to get less support and more hesitant answers because everyone know you simply shouldn't do that.

Why do anything? Let the refs sort it out?

Oh it's almost like players enforce certain "unwritten rules" on the ice.
Unwritten rules on the ice don't have a "well a cross-check to the head is okay" in them.

Reactions: cptjeff

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Go over and bump him, push him, facewash him, chirp him...probably fine.

Cross-check to the head. Not fine.

It's really not a hard concept. That's what he was suspended for. Doesn't matter why he felt the need to do it.
Cool he got suspended, I didn't say he shouldn't have.

Just don't act like if you are a fan of a serious team with cup aspirations, your team wouldn't have done the same.

I get that the Sens are not in the position and the games are meaningless for them, but for teams actually trying to do something in the playoffs, these games do mean something.

And that's perfectly 100% fine.

Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a 5 game suspension.

Unwritten rules on the ice don't have a "well a cross-check to the head is okay" in them.
According to you, I'm indifferent at the number.

Depends on what you do and only the players are the ones that know and enforce those rules.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Can't say that I'm even remotely surprised here. Nor particularly disappointed. Bettman saying that Greig's slapshot is utterly irrelevant conveys that the suspension is entirely related to the cross check in the face, which is fair enough.

The funny thing though, is that everyone I talk to about this in real life, and I live in Ottawa, agrees that the slap shot was absolutely relevant. The Leafs, Sens, and Habs fans that I talk to agree that you cannot cross-check a man in the face and thus the suspension is warranted, but that the altercation was absolutely provoked. I think the NHL will reap what it's sewing here with regards to culture and "the code", but at the same time begrudgingly accept that stiff suspensions for cross-checking faces is a solid initiative.

What I know for a fact is that the next time a Leaf gets cross checked in the face, there's going to be an absolute goldmine of posts to quote.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Oh I see. Keefe is the “brass” that was mentioned in the post? Really?

After the bettman decision was posted and it contains the positions the nhlpa took and what shanahan said according to bettmans document?

This is what I mean. Bend the truth to stir shit and defend their “feelings”. More than use actual facts to back up claims.

Those days are gone. Here in HF, sports talk in general and society as a whole
Keefe was an example to show that leafs brass clearly thought the response was justified.
When you try to make the argument that Greig was provocative in an attempt to lessen the punishment that is the same as justifying the reaction.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Just don't act like if you are a fan of a serious team with cup aspirations, your team wouldn't have done the same.

I get that the Sens are not in the position and the games are meaningless for them, but for teams actually trying to do something in the playoffs, these games do mean something.

According to you, I'm indifferent at the number.

Depends on what you do and only the players are the ones that know and enforce those rules.
If it was the Penguins and Letang or Karlsson did it, I would be upset that they did something stupid enough to get themselves suspended for 5 games.

Now if the Penguins win all 5 of those games, hey that's great, but that wouldn't alleviate my frustration with them that they did something stupid and selfish and put the team in a position to have to play without them.

You keep focusing on TEAM! TEAM! TEAM! What Reilly did was one of the more selfish, non-team-oriented things we've seen in the entire league this year. There was nothing TEAM! about it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Classic garbage from this generation. Not once did Leafs “brass” say anything about a cross check to the “face” being “justified”

You may not have seen this, because you were already on your high horse, but the Maple Leafs coach flat out said that he thought the response was "appropriate."

Reactions: AzHawk

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008

Thats the entire point that people are trying to make, and others are just completely ignorant to.
YOU CAN RESPOND WITHOUT CROSS CHECKS TO THE HEAD.

getting your jimmies rustled doesn't give players carte blanche to lose your cool. case in point the video you posted earlier, where Crosby didn't cross check someone in the fact didn't get suspended and still sent a message.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Who cares. Extend it a couple games for all I care. Give Rielly some rest while the team is rolling. Brought the group together. Worth it

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad