Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Cool he got suspended, I didn't say he shouldn't have.

Just don't act like if you are a fan of a serious team with cup aspirations, your team wouldn't have done the same.

I get that the Sens are not in the position and the games are meaningless for them, but for teams actually trying to do something in the playoffs, these games do mean something.

According to you, I'm indifferent at the number.

Depends on what you do and only the players are the ones that know and enforce those rules.
A team's current success or lack thereof shouldn't and apparently didn't have any impact on upholding a very clear cut rule that you cant bash your stick into someone's face because you're butt hurt. Get off the cross we need the wood...

Reactions: cptjeff and josra33

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I think Bettman's point in saying that the slap shot was irrelevant was not that it didn't play a role in what played out but rather that it is irrelevant to justifying what Rielly did. Someone taking a slap shot on an empty net in no way justifies someone else cross checking them in the face afterwards. I think it's a totally fair point.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Keefe was an example to show that leafs brass clearly thought the response was justified.
When you try to make the argument that Greig was provocative in an attempt to lessen the punishment that is the same as justifying the reaction.
No. There was no reason to justify what Rielly did. That’s why almost everyone accepts a suspension. Including the leafs “brass”. Appealing the decision was about how many games and ensuring that a precedent is set that every team must now expect. The NHL doesn’t want revenge, after the play stuff. So they punished accordingly. I think the NHLPA is working on setting a standard that they’ll be expected to follow for all future things like this.

The only people that don’t think it shouldn’t have been any suspension or discipline are the same extremists on the other side that think Rielly is lucky not to be going to jail lol

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
And its disheartening to think that a large swath of the population believe that the slapshot completely justified the reaction.
Not sure that happened.

I (like many others here and players and coaches) think the slap shot justified A reaction. But not that Rielly reaction .

idiot cavemen think that the slapshot justifies a shot to the head.
More virtue signalling. How many “cavemen” thought the cross check was justified?

You’re throwing the large group of people who think Grieg deserved some kind of reaction into the small group of people that think he deserved a cross check to the head.

Sorry but your feelings aren’t facts.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
No. There was no reason to justify what Rielly did. That’s why almost everyone accepts a suspension. Including the leafs “brass”. Appealing the decision was about how many games and ensuring that a precedent is set that every team must now expect. The NHL doesn’t want revenge, after the play stuff. So they punished accordingly. I think the NHLPA is working on setting a standard that they’ll be expected to follow for all future things like this.

The only people that don’t think it shouldn’t have been any suspension or discipline are the same extremists on the other side that think Rielly is lucky not to be going to jail lol
So what do you make of the comments from the leafs brass? Im genuinely curious because to me it feels like they were using the provocation as a means to justify the reaction in an attempt to lessen the suspension. To which bettman said unequivocally.. no.

Not sure that happened.

I (like many others here and players and coaches) think the slap shot justified A reaction. But not that Rielly reaction .
Unfortunately I spent way too much time and energy invested in the first thread. You would be surprised at how many people were applauding Rielly for his reaction.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Not sure that happened.

More virtue signalling. How many “cavemen” thought the cross check was justified?

You’re throwing the large group of people who think Grieg deserved some kind of reaction into the small group of people that think he deserved a cross check to the head.

Sorry but your feelings aren’t facts.
It doesnt justify shit. The goal of the game is to score goals in a way that doesnt break the rules of the game. A slapshot into an empty net within the allocated gametime is perfectly fine.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
So what do you make of the comments from the leafs brass? Im genuinely curious because to me it feels like they were using the provocation as a means to justify the reaction in an attempt to lessen the suspension. To which bettman said unequivocally.. no.
Which comments? The Keefe comment? I think he meant that he was ok with Rielly responding.

"I thought it was appropriate," said Keefe when asked about Rielly's response.

"Our players have the right to react."

It doesnt justify shit. The goal of the game is to score goals in a way that doesnt break the rules of the game. A slapshot into an empty net within the allocated gametime is perfectly fine.
Thanks Gary. Now tell that to all the teams and players who disagree with you. Including Griegs teammates. Everyone expected a reaction.

Now, that reaction was too much imo. But anyone who thinks a player can do what Grieg did and the only response should be lining up for a faceoff….sorry. You’re watching the wrong sport lol

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Which comments? The Keefe comment? I think he meant that he was ok with Rielly responding.

"I thought it was appropriate," said Keefe when asked about Rielly's response.

"Our players have the right to react."
And that was followed up with why he thought that the reponse was appropriate to which he responded.
"It’s pretty apparent."
I guess on Keefe we will have to agree to disagree because it seems to me that he was saying the reaction was appropriate.

I was also referring to the arguments made by leafs brass concerning Greigs play being provocative, them using it would lead me to believe they felt that because it was provocative it should have lessened the suspension.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
If it was the Penguins and Letang or Karlsson did it, I would be upset that they did something stupid enough to get themselves suspended for 5 games.

Now if the Penguins win all 5 of those games, hey that's great, but that wouldn't alleviate my frustration with them that they did something stupid and selfish and put the team in a position to have to play without them.

You keep focusing on TEAM! TEAM! TEAM! What Reilly did was one of the more selfish, non-team-oriented things we've seen in the entire league this year. There was nothing TEAM! about it.
Let me guess when Marner got punched in the face in the playoffs and did nothing, you said to yourself "WOW WHAT DISCIPLINE, these Leafs are gonna go so far being so disciplined" lmfao.

This Leafs team has been butter soft for a long time, there has probably been tens of these sorts of situations where they skated away and did nothing, I never heard about the team being disciplined, just the opposite.

Rielly did the right thing and the team surprisingly responded for once.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
And its disheartening to think that a large swath of the population believe that the slapshot completely justified the reaction.
I'm more intrigued by the large swath of mouth breathers who thought that the police should be involved.

rielly will be back in a couple days.

these people will be dumb for life.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Thats the entire point that people are trying to make, and others are just completely ignorant to.
YOU CAN RESPOND WITHOUT CROSS CHECKS TO THE HEAD.

getting your jimmies rustled doesn't give players carte blanche to lose your cool. case in point the video you posted earlier, where Crosby didn't cross check someone in the fact didn't get suspended and still sent a message.
Womp womp your 4th liner got cross checked by one of our best players. I'm sure if Reaves did that and Stutzle cross checked him, you'd be crying so hard how could anyone do anything so violent? Lmfao

A team's current success or lack thereof shouldn't and apparently didn't have any impact on upholding a very clear cut rule that you cant bash your stick into someone's face because you're butt hurt. Get off the cross we need the wood...
Leafs pre Rielly cross check:
Losing to dusty Sens

Leafs post Rielly cross check:
4-0

Deal with it.

The team rallied around it, bleeding hearts can keep sticking their heads in the sand like their team wouldn't do the same or that the team wasn't for it.

Reactions: mogs

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

Yeah it is so disheartening to learn that people have different perspectives in the real world...

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
I'm more intrigued by the large swath of mouth breathers who thought that the police should be involved.

rielly will be back in a couple days.

these people will be dumb for life.
that was largely amplified by every single leafs fan + neutral fans jumping on the few that voiced that opinion. there were a few people sure, but that was not a widespread opinion.
Womp womp your 4th liner got cross checked by one of our best players. I'm sure if Reaves did that and Stutzle cross checked him, you'd be crying so hard how could anyone do anything so violent? Lmfao
believe it or not, if Stutzle did something as stupid as Rielly I would be totally alright with him getting suspended. Shocking isnt it.

Yeah it is so disheartening to learn that people have different perspectives in the real world...
A perspective of a slap shot on an empty net justifies cross check to the head is not based on reality and anyone who truly believes that needs help.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I encourage Grieg and every other player I don’t like to continue doing that, perhaps even inventing newer and more elaborate ways of scoring those empty net goals. Excuse me while I long the sports dentistry market.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Leafs pre Rielly cross check:
Losing to dusty Sens

Leafs post Rielly cross check:
4-0

Deal with it.

The team rallied around it, bleeding hearts can keep sticking their heads in the sand like their team wouldn't do the same or that the team wasn't for it.
Your response..."womp womp" (but seriously who keeps saying that lol?)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yet there is a rule that it falls under and is directly why it got a reaction.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The DoPS is a joke and every single person here reading this knows it. They literally said the fact Rielly has a clean record is why they didn't give him MORE games. How many times have they used a clean record as a reason why there was NO suspension for much larger infractions? FFS, seriously? I hope people here can put their hate away for the Leafs just for one time and realize what an absolute this joke is.

I'm tired of this. MLSE should start holding back revenue sharing payments to this league or something. They are getting jobbed over and over. Have a look at what Bunting got 3 games for in last year's playoffs (effectively 6 games regular season) compared to Staal's EXACT SAME HIT BUT WORSE on Marner towards the end of the elimination game that didn't even get a penalty. Sorry, but there's no way it's an accident at this point. Half the league hates the Leafs and the other half (including League people) don't want to look biased towards the Leafs and it works against them every time. f*** this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad